Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2009, 06:58 PM   #136
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,768
For me the Jesse's are the fugliest available. The angle's and rounded corners clash with the overall lines of the bike.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 07:13 PM   #137
wachs
just passin' through

Oddometer: 4,653
Great Basin Saddlebag BMW F800GS test fitting

This is a second go-round prototype. We'll have a final this week (was supposed arrive last friday but we're taking the extra time to get it exactly right).

Better fit = better ride!

8.5 pounds, no tools no racks, takes about a minute to mount and less to remove. 2 interior 'pannier' spaces, 2 - one liter bottle compartments, top case and 2 custom stuff sacks included. All the interior compartments are built out of 1050 Ballistic Cordura and lined with bright yellow nylon for excellent visibility of the contents. We'll have capacity and price later in the week on the 100% waterproof, bomber soft luggage solution for your 800.

Here's where you can see more details, the latest news and fitment on other machines:
http://giantloopmoto.blogspot.com/20...00gs-test.html

http://www.altrider.com/product/cate...rch/hemisphere

wachs screwed with this post 03-15-2009 at 07:19 PM
wachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 07:55 PM   #138
One Eye Mike
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
After dropping 15K on the 800, I didn't feel too bad spending the money on the Jessies. One good fall and a lesser pannier will crumble. The angles built into the Jessies are built for strength. And the angled bottoms aid in paddling in sand. I looked for a few weeks and considered alot of the options, I just knew I wouldn't be happy saving a few bucks if there was something else out there that was better.
One Eye Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 08:05 PM   #139
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,768
My buddy has gone down hard on his Happy Trails boxes off-road multiple times and once on pavement. No structural failures. Only dents which can be pounded out. A good weld is stronger than the base material.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 08:53 PM   #140
swolf
swolf

Oddometer: 51
Guys, lets keep this thread going! Panniers are expensive and we all have different ideas. I for one, keep going around and around on all of them.

Cheers
swolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 09:08 PM   #141
johngil
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,678
If I was fairly certain I would never fall, the Jesse bags would have been on my bike. I say this not because the Jesse's wouldn't survive, but rather because I wouldn't want to beat them up and not be able to afford replacing one. I think they are a work of art.
The HT panniers that I settled on were a nice surprise, but it is clear where they (HT) saved money.
If need be, I can get out my old TIG machine and fix them up myself, or buy a new pannier as needed.
In the event of a serious crash, I don't see any brand not being severely damaged.
johngil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 06:29 AM   #142
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual

Oddometer: 2,647
Benefactor with benefits

Usually the benefactor wants something in return....if you are OK with that it may be time to become a "trophy" husband or gigolo....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADV FF
The Jessies really are the best looking ones out there, hands down. I just wish they weren't so darn expensive. I need a benefactor!

Rob
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 07:00 AM   #143
Bucko
In a parallel world

Oddometer: 808
Thumb Jesse's rock

I mounted Jesse Odyssey II's this weekend. I like the design, the space inside AND the looks. Sure they're boxy. But guess what...they're boxes! If I wanted the sleekest setup, I'd go for Givi, put I sure don't want to tip over on those.

I also like the looks of the Jesse mounts with the boxes removed, and how you can move them forward or backward on the racks. Looks to be a rugged, well executed system. I'll know more once I hit the road with them.
Bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 07:55 AM   #144
dholaday
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucko
I'll know more once I hit the road with them.

Literally.
dholaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:30 AM   #145
Maddaddy
Greg

Oddometer: 1,634
gobi

don't dismiss gobi. there is a reason they are part of KTM's accessories. They're the best. (yeah, yeah, IMO)

I've had aluminum, and never got them true after bending them. That and you risk breaking a leg if you get it caught off roading. Gobi's break away at 40lbs.

From BMW
Old 03-16-2009, 01:27 PM   #146
Bucko
In a parallel world

Oddometer: 808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddaddy
don't dismiss gobi. there is a reason they are part of KTM's accessories. They're the best. (yeah, yeah, IMO)

I've had aluminum, and never got them true after bending them. That and you risk breaking a leg if you get it caught off roading. Gobi's break away at 40lbs.

From BMW
Do they make them any wider? Bumblebees rule!
Bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 09:48 PM   #147
Worsky
Did you say something?

Oddometer: 4
Love this thread - and my Happy Trails bags

Great thread! Super helpful in choosing bags. After weighing all the factors I picked the Happy Trails Teton bags with "cliff cut" for the exhaust. I went with the larger 9 inch wide bags for total capacity around 74 liters. Whole thing comes in at 39.5 inches wide - - which is not bad considering my handle bars measure just over 37 inches.

So why these? First, I think they are actually some of the best looking bags out there. I like the minimalist metal box thing (can't stand the Jesse luggage). Second, my buddy has a pair on his KLR and the fit and finish is beautiful - these guys really know how to weld! Third, and maybe most importantly, the whole setup - shipping and all - was $1000 less than the Touratech or BMW Adv options. Note, I was not cash constrained in this decision - I wanted the best - but I just couldn't get past how good these bags are for the money.

Also, worth noting that they work great for two up riding. My wife is about 5 foot 4 inches, and she fits fine behind me with the bags on... in fact likes it better because it blocks her from accidentally bumping the exhaust. I had the Happy Trails guys pre-mount the bags and they said they'd be fine for a passenger. They were right!

Only real negative was no integrated lock - but that was solved with a couple small Eagle Creek luggage locks for times when I need theft prevention. But really, if I'm on road tour I'm pulling the bags off and bringing them in my motel at night... and if I'm in the woods what the hell is going to happen?

Oh, one last note, I am not intending to use these during any aggressive off roading. Fire roads and moderate track sure... but if I'm going to push it technically at all these cans are staying back at camp while I rip around... I don't need to break my leg on one of them.

From F800 Engine Guards

From F800 Engine Guards

From F800 Engine Guards

From F800 Engine Guards

From F800 Engine Guards

From F800 Engine Guards

Oh... and these were a snap to put on. Zero problems, probably took 30 minutes to install the rack and all bag mounting.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:23 PM   #148
robhar54
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 476
Hard Panniers & Broken Legs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worsky
I don't need to break my leg on one of them.
I think the chances of this may be exaggerated. I wondered and worried (having just spent a ton of cash on Metal Mules), and started a thread with a poll:

Hard Panniers & Broken Legs: Myth or Reality?

Rob in Seattle
Old 03-16-2009, 10:44 PM   #149
One Eye Mike
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
Laugh

[quote=Worsky]Great thread! Super helpful in choosing bags. After weighing all the factors I picked the Happy Trails Teton bags with "cliff cut" for the exhaust. I went with the larger 9 inch wide bags for total capacity around 74 liters. Whole thing comes in at 39.5 inches wide - - which is not bad considering my handle bars measure just over 37 inches.

So why these? First, I think they are actually some of the best looking bags out there. I like the minimalist metal box thing (can't stand the Jesse luggage). Second, my buddy has a pair on his KLR and the fit and finish is beautiful - these guys really know how to weld! Third, and maybe most importantly, the whole setup - shipping and all - was $1000 less than the Touratech or BMW Adv options. Note, I was not cash constrained in this decision - I wanted the best - but I just couldn't get past how good these bags are for the money.}

Well, beauty is in the eye of the beerholder. I have a friend who has the HT's on his KLR, and I thought the mounting system was a little mickey mouse compared to the Jessie's. Unless they have updated it in the past 2 years... As well as the need for bag liners for the unfinished aluminum. I too, enjoy the minimalist approach, and the Jessie's fit the bill for me. I can have both bags off the bike in mere seconds, and the variable mounting position is a plus. And the powdercoated insides eliminate the need for liners. Plus the smaller bags will force me to pack more sensible.......
One Eye Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 11:21 PM   #150
PhalSe
n00b

Oddometer: 3
One Eye Mike: I'm considering that exact setup for my bike. I love the GS logo on the black panniers. Did you make that yourself or get it someplace?

I'm indecisive right now on whether to go with the Safari or Odyssey II bags on my 8GS. I like the Safari because it would force me to pack more efficiently and therefore be lighter, but I'm trying to visualize whether 68 L is enough for a 3 week trip in widely variable temperatures.
PhalSe is offline   Reply With Quote