User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2009, 05:12 PM   #166
swolf
swolf

Oddometer: 51
HELP, can't make up my mind.

Okay, so I have the TT 41/41 special in my garage (I can return them, no problem) feel guilty as they are sooo expensive. The welds are okay. They look great when held up to the bike, BUT i do think a good "get off" will destroy them OR at minimal, make them ugly.

Now I'm liking the Jessie cases BUT wondering if the mounted lid will be problematic due to other wider luggage hanging over them on the back seat. If you have Jessie boxes has this been a problem? I leaning toward the Jessie 90L boxes at only around 37"wide.

I can't hep but notice on many forums that everyone looks like they own the BMW adventure boxes. Why?

The Happy Trails do look nice but a friend had them and said they have rough edges that cut into his girlfriend. Also said they rattle. + no locks, paddle locks would rattle and questionable build for off road.

Then their are the Zega pro boxes from TT due out around June. They look nice, still around $1,300 and I think measure in around 1060mm wide.

What do do?

Come-on, give me some hard advice!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Eye Mike
swolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 06:01 PM   #167
Fireman
Shazaam!

Oddometer: 97
Finally made my decision

So I've been looking at panniers for probably the last three years, and got serious about them when I bought my 800GS last fall. I was really close to ordering several different set-ups and finally, last night, called Rick and ordered Jesse's. I got the 10" boxes, (in BLACK!), and did without any accessories for now, although I will be adding tie-down loops of some kind in the future. I am completely convinced that I will never regret it. Here's my thought process...

-I like lockable, but I don't want to carry a bunch of little padlocks around with me to lose and rattle.
-I don't have a centerstand, and side opening cases (like Caribou) are best used with a centerstand. On the sidestand, a left side pelican will damn near eject my luggage onto the ground, every time. I don't have the patience to use the little liner bags.
-The Jesse's are really narrow compared to anything else. Because the larger cases are only 37" wide (same length as the bars) I can easily use them on the F. Any other setup and I'd have to go with thin little cases to get that narrow of a profile.
-I like the square shape of the aluminum cases. But I don't like 90 degree corners. They aren't friendly to my soft body parts and will damage easier than the compound miters of the Jesse bags.
-Even though I enjoy the look of bare metal aluminum, I don't want all my gear getting that nasty aluminum oxidation on it. Again, I don't have the patience for liners. And the pictures I've seen of the black Jesse's on the bumblebee bike look totally combat-touring mean.
-I originally didn't want a permanent rack on my bike, and was thinking SW-Motech quick release. But I decided I wanted a really tough rack that looked like what it cost, and the Jesse's are the most "engineered" ones I could find. I'm the kind of guy that has a big brush guard on his pickup, with a roof rack on top, bike rack in the bed, and trailer hitch. I think I can handle a pannier rack on my adventure bike.

And there it is. In one fell swoop I've curtailed any upcoming buyer's remorse, shared my research, and encouraged at least one other of you farkle hunters to look at the Jesse bags. I'll share pics when I get it all installed.
Fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 06:12 PM   #168
DiabloBlanco
Intl' Hops Inspector

Oddometer: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by swolf
HELP, can't make up my mind.

Okay, so I have the TT 41/41 special in my garage (I can return them, no problem) feel guilty as they are sooo expensive. The welds are okay. They look great when held up to the bike, BUT i do think a good "get off" will destroy them OR at minimal, make them ugly.
Now I'm liking the Jessie cases BUT wondering if the mounted lid will be problematic due to other wider luggage hanging over them on the back seat. If you have Jessie boxes has this been a problem? I leaning toward the Jessie 90L boxes at only around 37"wide.
I can't hep but notice on many forums that everyone looks like they own the BMW adventure boxes. Why?ADVrider - Reply to Topic
The Happy Trails do look nice but a friend had them and said they have rough edges that cut into his girlfriend. Also said they rattle. + no locks, paddle locks would rattle and questionable build for off road.
Then their are the Zega pro boxes from TT due out around June. They look nice, still around $1,300 and I think measure in around 1060mm wide.
What do do?
Come-on, give me some hard advice!!!
Wellllll I have Jesse's myself, so my advice will lack impartiality. During my longggg decision making process and still to this day I think the adventures are the best looking and best built looking boxes out there. But at 300/400 dollars more expensive than the Jesse's with less capacity and a wider profile I had a hard time pulling that trigger. A lot of people say a big reason to buy is that the adventures can be keyed to the same key as your ignit... I agree, it'd be handy, but to save 4 inches and 400 dollars I can accept another key on the ring...
Personally, I don't like the straight box look of the TT and HT. HT will save you some bucks though and admittedly, would probably be easier to repair after a tip over. Those new TT cases DO look good and I might have considered them, don't know much about them besides how they look, but I have a big trip coming before they release so didn't factor in.

Anyhow, a hundred people will tell you 100 different reasons to buy 100 different products, all for reasons we all individually think are important. For me, I like the Jesse's price, width, capacity, looks, ability to shift it up or down a couple inches, rounded edges that will somewhat deal better in a put down, AND like the HTs, are American made and a real pleasure to deal with their company. And to answer your question, yes, the Jesse's with a big tail bag across the back will make me have to take off the bag, but the same could be said for many a top loading pannier. Lots of riders have Jesse's, here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=414027
US (MN, WI, IA, KS, OK, MO, TX), Mexico, Belize, Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama, Colombia, Venezuela. 11 down, 184 to go.
DiabloBlanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 07:04 PM   #169
Worsky
Did you say something?

Oddometer: 4
Re HT bags

Hey, Swolf, RE this comment:

"The Happy Trails do look nice but a friend had them and said they have rough edges that cut into his girlfriend. Also said they rattle. + no locks, paddle locks would rattle and questionable build for off road."

I've been using the Happy Trails Teton bags on my 800GS for the past couple months and love them (see pics on the previous page). I was very concerned about them poking/cutting my wife - but the welds are super smooth and I had them pre-mount them and there is plenty of clearance for her on the back.

As for rattling padlocks, I just got a small Eagle Creek luggage lock (size of a matchbox) for each one. They have an easy barrel style number lock, and are very easy to deal with. I don't leave them on when riding - just keep one in each bag and throw them on if I'm going to be away from the bike for a while and it's in a questionable location. Also, key point here, for $10 worth of rubber matting and spray adhesive I rubber coated the inside of the boxes so you don't hear little bits rattling around. Highly suggest this to others!

Bottom line for me was that for $1000 less than the TT I could live with the lock situation. That cash went a long way to farkling out the rest of my bike.

Really though, just get whatever bags you think look the coolest - that will make you happiest in the long run!
Old 03-21-2009, 08:14 PM   #170
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worsky
Hey, Swolf, RE this comment:

"The Happy Trails do look nice but a friend had them and said they have rough edges that cut into his girlfriend. Also said they rattle. + no locks, paddle locks would rattle and questionable build for off road."

I've been using the Happy Trails Teton bags on my 800GS for the past couple months and love them (see pics on the previous page). I was very concerned about them poking/cutting my wife - but the welds are super smooth and I had them pre-mount them and there is plenty of clearance for her on the back.

As for rattling padlocks, I just got a small Eagle Creek luggage lock (size of a matchbox) for each one. They have an easy barrel style number lock, and are very easy to deal with. I don't leave them on when riding - just keep one in each bag and throw them on if I'm going to be away from the bike for a while and it's in a questionable location. Also, key point here, for $10 worth of rubber matting and spray adhesive I rubber coated the inside of the boxes so you don't hear little bits rattling around. Highly suggest this to others!

Bottom line for me was that for $1000 less than the TT I could live with the lock situation. That cash went a long way to farkling out the rest of my bike.

Really though, just get whatever bags you think look the coolest - that will make you happiest in the long run!
I too can vouch for the Happy Trails boxes. I believe I posted pics earlier in this thread. Very nice design, and the welds are excellent. As for durability, as I said before: a good weld is stronger than the metal being welded. These boxes will fair no worse than a Touratech Zega or Jesse in the event of an off. Happy Trails actually uses thicker aluminum than Touratech, and the same thickness of Jesse. Same formulation and molecular structure of aluminum too. Hmmm. Imagine that. The racks took some manipulation to get mounted, but then again, even the OEM BMW Adventure racks do. I myself find using padlocks no "harder" or "more stressful" than using integrated locks. It's common practice not to ride with the padlocks on. Mine don't rattle at all. If they rattle, you didn't tighten something down good enough.

P.S. If your girlfriend is complaining of rough pannier edges hurting her then she shouldn't be on the back of an adventure bike!

The Griz screwed with this post 03-21-2009 at 08:22 PM
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 08:45 PM   #171
One Eye Mike
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
( Buy the Jessie's. Then you don't have to compromise on anything. It took me over a year to make up my mind, and I'm pretty sure I made the right decision. )

I can't hep but notice on many forums that everyone looks like they own the BMW adventure boxes. Why?

What do do?

Come-on, give me some hard advice!!![/quote]
One Eye Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 09:06 PM   #172
Bucko
In a parallel world

Oddometer: 817
Yes on Jesse's. Any top loader will make you take off your top bag if your stooooopid enough to pack the stuff you need during the day in the Jesse's, not the bag.

My tools and spares ride in the bottom of the bag, where I hope I never need them. If I do, the day's in the dumper anyway, so dismounting a bag is no big deal. Might even count as therapy. Besides, tools and spares are heavy and should be carried low.

The Jesse lids lock, open out, and carry a bunch of stuff. Way cool in my book.
Bucko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 10:37 PM   #173
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,779
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucko
Yes on Jesse's. Any top loader will make you take off your top bag if your stooooopid enough to pack the stuff you need during the day in the Jesse's, not the bag.

My tools and spares ride in the bottom of the bag, where I hope I never need them. If I do, the day's in the dumper anyway, so dismounting a bag is no big deal. Might even count as therapy. Besides, tools and spares are heavy and should be carried low.

The Jesse lids lock, open out, and carry a bunch of stuff. Way cool in my book.
The Happy Trails boxes open out and carry a bunch of stuff too. And again, if ya can't deal with padlocks, ya might need to reconsider the type of bike you're riding!
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 11:10 PM   #174
Dream Rider
Servant

Oddometer: 192
850GS panniers

I used motosport on my 1150 GS. Think I had about 40 liters. Hung lower, were not as wide as the handlebars so I could use the bars for a width guide. This was back in 2003. The jesse safari look nice. I think mechanically speaking the lower and narrower panniers will affect handling less but maybe only a pro would notice the difference. I am far from that but the idea makes my head feel good.
Dream Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:21 AM   #175
dholaday
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
Pelican is having a sale on many of their cases.

http://www.pelican-case.com/cases.html
dholaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 07:08 PM   #176
Fireman
Shazaam!

Oddometer: 97
Talking Calling Frosbit...

Quote:
Frostbit, a fellow inmate made them. He used to be a graphic artist, and has tons of talent. If you PM him, i'd sure he could hook you up with some. And they are reflective to boot. If you noticed, I added the Jesse top plate as well, and on trips when I need more stuff, I'll toss my dry bag across it. Problem solved without the extra width. I tend to ride as much off road as on, and the slim design is narrower than my handlebars. Gotta love that.
Frostbit, check your PM's, I'm dying for a set of those stickers buddy...
Fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 07:01 AM   #177
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual

Oddometer: 2,673
Pannier install issue

Two friends of mine were installing the Varios on his 08 650 twin yesterday and they also ran in to the problem of one of the under fender threaded inserts spinning in the frame. After chasing the threads with a tap and using a screwdriver to hold it from turning they finally got the rack on. Those threads are right were the rear wheel throws crap so if your bike has seen some dirt make sure to clean those puppies out and thread a bolt in first to see if the threads are clean before you start!!
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 07:51 AM   #178
One Eye Mike
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
Both Frostbit and myself had no problems installing our Jessie racks.
I was glad to hear my nuts were intact................
One Eye Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 08:28 AM   #179
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual

Oddometer: 2,673
Nuts

I hope you are not implying that having someone have to hold your nuts to get the job done is always a bad thing.......

On a serious note I like the way the stock Vario mounts look without the bags on. Not sold on the Vario bags themselves but my buddy won't be doing any off-roading on his 650 so he's happy.

Quote:
Both Frostbit and myself had no problems installing our Jessie racks.
I was glad to hear my nuts were intact................
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 01:00 PM   #180
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,383
I was going to do the same thing, 35's from my 950. They do fit the 800 TT rack, but man, thats just too dam wide !
Although not speaking personally, I may just go soft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighTechCoonass
I only run with boxes a few time a year so size was not a deal breaker...I like the look of the SW set but I did not like the rack. I think Touratech rack it the best made....Metal Mule I say is equal but too price'ie

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote