Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2009, 12:13 PM   #181
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by DockingPilot
Although not speaking personally, I may just go soft.
Maybe if you had someone hold your nuts, you'd harden right up again.

David

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 12:15 PM   #182
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,221

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 12:29 PM   #183
One Eye Mike
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
I knew that was gonna happen.............
One Eye Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 12:39 PM   #184
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

I have been here long enough to know it would be mere minutes !

Old 03-26-2009, 12:42 PM   #185
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oh make no mistake, thats a reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robhar54
I think the chances of this may be exaggerated. I wondered and worried (having just spent a ton of cash on Metal Mules), and started a thread with a poll:

Hard Panniers & Broken Legs: Myth or Reality?

Rob in Seattle

Old 03-26-2009, 02:01 PM   #186
lemieuxmc
Banned

Oddometer: 3,360
I don't want to sound critical, BUT...

After reading about the fellows who rode across and back the USA on the old $50 bikes I think a lot of ADV types are more interested in impressing others with who has the biggest and most expensive bags. I can't imagine that anyone who is capable of handling a motorcycle trip isn't capable of packing everything needed for an indefinite time period in a pair of soft saddle bags, a dry bag on top and a reasonably sized tank bag!

Some of you guys look like the Beverly Hillbillies. For crying out loud man... If you want to carry that much gear, get a trailer, or a sidecar, or a Miata for Christ's sake!

Opinions expressed here do not reflect the opinions of advertisers, owners or management.
lemieuxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 03:02 PM   #187
Nemesis
just ride the damn thing

Oddometer: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemieuxmc

After reading about the fellows who rode across and back the USA on the old $50 bikes I think a lot of ADV types are more interested in impressing others with who has the biggest and most expensive bags. I can't imagine that anyone who is capable of handling a motorcycle trip isn't capable of packing everything needed for an indefinite time period in a pair of soft saddle bags, a dry bag on top and a reasonably sized tank bag!

Some of you guys look like the Beverly Hillbillies. For crying out loud man... If you want to carry that much gear, get a trailer, or a sidecar, or a Miata for Christ's sake!

Opinions expressed here do not reflect the opinions of advertisers, owners or management.

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats " - H. L. Mencken
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 03:40 PM   #188
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,204
Quote:
I can't imagine that anyone who is capable of handling a motorcycle trip isn't capable of packing everything needed for an indefinite time period in a pair of soft saddle bags, a dry bag on top and a reasonably sized tank bag!
Well, that may be fine for you, but I carry everything I need in my purse. Silly!

David

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 03:44 PM   #189
earthroamer
Stuck in Pindadesh

Oddometer: 2,045
Quote:

Everyone gets to do their own ride. I don't concern myself with the way others do theirs.

Speaking for myself, I consider myself a lightweight backpacker. I can head off into the Sierras with a 13lb base weight. I sleep on a thin piece of foam, I re-hydrate meals with an alcohol stove and I take just enough to survive.

But when I travel on the bike I take fresh fruit and vegetables, and cook fresh food every night with a big heavy stove. I sleep on a big, thick mattress, I carry a gallon of water if going off road, and on long trips I carry 2 xtra gallons of fuel and lots of tools. I take a mountaineering tent and a tarp. In short, I look like the Beverly Hillbillies But I travel solo and enjoy my own company, so I have no one to answer to but myself.
earthroamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 07:01 AM   #190
One Eye Mike
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
BTW, This is not the minimalist thread. In Alaska, there are vast distances between civilization, and we tend to carry enough stuff to get us where we are going. On long rides, i'd rather have too many tools that I didn't use, than wishing i'd brought a few more.
Quote:

One Eye Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 09:38 AM   #191
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,826
Quote:
... I think a lot of ADV types are more interested in impressing others with who has the biggest and most expensive bags. I can't imagine that anyone who is capable of handling a motorcycle trip isn't capable of packing everything needed for an indefinite time period in a pair of soft saddle bags, a dry bag on top and a reasonably sized tank bag! ... Some of you guys look like the Beverly Hillbillies. For crying out loud man... If you want to carry that much gear, get a trailer, or a sidecar, or a Miata for Christ's sake!
On the basis that there's not one picture in this entire thread depicting anything more than he himself suggests, with the exception of metal panniers in place of soft saddle bags, I think we should all take this post as a blatant troll.
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 10:18 AM   #192
badrodes
Banned

Oddometer: 200
random question from noob:
can any of you F800GS owners tell me if the weight of the bike laden / unladen listed on the BMW web site is correct? close? way off?
badrodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 08:37 AM   #193
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthroamer
... I sleep on a big, thick mattress..
ER:
What's your choice for your Hillbilly pad?
I have an Big Agnes Air Core that I use for camping, but would not mind a bit of an upgrade since I ain't lugging it... Air Core does pack down pretty small which is nice!

Jim
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:03 PM   #194
shleppy
Shlepdawg on da smoov tip

Oddometer: 607
Hepco Becker Racks

Does anyone have a set of the Hepco Becker racks on a f650 twin or an F800GS? If you do.. post some pics of the naked racks and an opinion of how you like 'em

I'm on the bubble between going with the SW-Motech racks with Caribou cases, or going with the Hepco Becker racks and Caribou cases. I really like how the SW-Motech and Hepco Becker racks pop off quickly when not in use but I have no clue what the Hepco Beckers look like with and without the luggage installed.

2006 F650GS (sold)
2007 DRZ 400s
2009 F650GS
shleppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 09:58 PM   #195
Dert Gerl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
While I don't think they look nearly as nice, it's soft bags for me for what I like to do. My bikes "rest" alot. This set up was for 9 days of mostly off road in baja with camping gear. I had more than enough space. SW quick release racks and wolfman bags.

I guess for me it's a weight thing too. Fully loaded, all my gear probably doesn't weigh a whole lot more than hard bags empty. Not including my tool bag.

I've had my leg stuck under my bags twice already in going through the thick sand on a big bike learning curve without a problem.

If I stayed mostly on pavement I'd go with the hard bags.

Dert Gerl screwed with this post 04-01-2009 at 10:06 PM
Dert Gerl is offline   Reply With Quote