Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2009, 10:25 PM   #211
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,792
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrog
I would like to hear from some of you guys that have been using your panniers for a while. I am particularly interested in Happy-Trail because of cost compared to others....Happy with them?
I have been more than happy with them. Work well. Designed well. Great welding. Great price: $750. Thicker aluminum than most other brands (including Touratech). I don't really have anything bad to say about them. And I'm super glad I didn't pay $1300 for Touratechs or over $2000 for Metal Mules! I've seen and felt Touratech Zegas and Metal Mules, and I can tell you that the quality of the Happy Trails boxes is just as good.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 06:16 AM   #212
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual

Oddometer: 2,650
HAppry Trails

Parked my KLR on the Happy Trails a few times. No issues. When I touch the Hepcos I have on my F800 now they seem like toy bags in comparison. I can't see the Hepcos holding up as well.
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 06:24 AM   #213
bikerfish1100
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
After days of reading and debating +/-s, I ended up getting a set of the 40L Caribou Cases. Took a ride up to Roger's shop (garage) in Boulder and spent some time checking them out, talking, etc. I think the build quality, the lifetime guarantee ("you break 'em, we replace 'em"), the maximal usable storage (totally clean inside with no bumps or protrusions), the integrated locks, easy on/off, and total waterproofness (if they can sit in a river for 30 mins and come out dry on the inside, they should be totally fine in any rain i'm likely to still be riding in!) really convinced me.
Hopefully, they don't look as wide on the bike as they spec out to be (39")- and i think the uniformness of shape will do a lot to mitigate that. and at under $800, the bang-for-buck factor is right up there with the HT bags. hopefully, they present less of an aerodynamic obstacle than do the big square alu boxes. plastic is more slippery than aluminum, right?
(will post pics when i get them instaled next week, as Roger is just getting some new bags in today.)
bikerfish1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 06:44 AM   #214
Maddaddy
Greg

Oddometer: 1,688
Hepco Happy Thus Far

This is my first set of Hepco Gobi cases and they are doing very well. They are wide, but I haven't had a single issue off road or on road. I did re-enforce the corners with some custom made Carbon Fiber protectors just to keep the corners from getting indented in a flop, although they can been "popped" back out should that happen.

I did drop the bike one time at a low moderate speed and the break away design did it's job. In comparison to the touratech aluminum panniers I've had in the past, they would have been bent and twisted.

I like the single key and that they have a built on handle so they are easy to transport off the bike.

SO

H&B
Durability - 9
Capacity - 7
Astetics - 8
Veratility (capabilityto attach other stuff) - 8

TT
Durability - 7
Capacity - 9
Astetics - 9
Veratility - 8
Old 06-12-2009, 06:49 AM   #215
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,204
You made the right choice, IMhO, Bikerfish. I've been very happy with my 36L Caribous. They are indeed slipperier than the alu. cans. Plus, just like the B2 bombers with their hypersecret polymer coating, you can avoid radar detection better!

Of course, it doesn't work as well on the slower, yellow bikes.

David

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 07:31 AM   #216
bikerfish1100
Adventurer

Oddometer: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddaddy
H&B
Durability - 9
Capacity - 7
Astetics - 8

TT
Durability - 7
Capacity - 9
Astetics - 9
Veratility - 8
damn, that's what i blew on getting those Caribous!
They gotz no veratility. (btw- is there some kind of an inoculation against that?)
bikerfish1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 07:38 AM   #217
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual

Oddometer: 2,650
Hepco

I have the aluminum Hepcos and they seem a little fragile.
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 08:17 AM   #218
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerfish1100
damn, that's what i blew on getting those Caribous!
They gotz no veratility. (btw- is there some kind of an inoculation against that?)
Not to mention Astetics. (They do have plenty of aesthetics though. )

David

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 09:22 AM   #219
Wildman
In my castle

Oddometer: 17,767
Quote:
This is my first set of Hepco Gobi cases and they are doing very well. They are wide, but I haven't had a single issue off road or on road. I did re-enforce the corners with some custom made Carbon Fiber protectors just to keep the corners from getting indented in a flop, although they can been "popped" back out should that happen.

I did drop the bike one time at a low moderate speed and the break away design did it's job. In comparison to the touratech aluminum panniers I've had in the past, they would have been bent and twisted.

I like the single key and that they have a built on handle so they are easy to transport off the bike.

SO

H&B
Durability - 9
Capacity - 7
Astetics - 8

TT
Durability - 7
Capacity - 9
Astetics - 9
Veratility - 8
I think you've maybe missed a 'category' if we're comparing them like that; security. Delighted with all aspects of my Touratech panniers up to the point when some low life prised them open and stole £800 worth of tools and kit. The locks are poor and I would recommend either some kind of secondary attachment through the bottom of the clasps or a second latch bolted on. No feel for what others are like but I'd rate the Touratechs as a 4 without additional security.
Ridden; GBR CYM DEU FRA ESP AND MCO ITA BEL SCT LUX CHE SMR LIE AUT NLD POL LTU LVA EST SWE FIN NOR DNK CZE SVK HUN ROU BGR GRC MKD SRB ALB MNE BIH HRV SVN MYS IRL BRA MAR PRT ARE USA ISL JPN MLT Planning; AUS TUR MDA UKR MEX BLR MNG RUS KAZ TJK KGZ SEN ZAF ZMB MWI NZL IND CPN
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 12:42 PM   #220
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,461
Just as an FYI, I liked the Touratech case I had on m KTM but didn't like the TT rack for the 800. So I used the Metal Mule balanced rack and exhaust combo, and mounted my cases to those. I didn't even have to move the pucks, they mount right up. Nice and narrow too!
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 10:00 AM   #221
Lucky:)
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dert Gerl
While I don't think they look nearly as nice, it's soft bags for me for what I like to do. My bikes "rest" alot. This set up was for 9 days of mostly off road in baja with camping gear. I had more than enough space. SW quick release racks and wolfman bags.

I guess for me it's a weight thing too. Fully loaded, all my gear probably doesn't weigh a whole lot more than hard bags empty. Not including my tool bag.

I've had my leg stuck under my bags twice already in going through the thick sand on a big bike learning curve without a problem.

If I stayed mostly on pavement I'd go with the hard bags.

Dert Gerl, Do you have any rack for your saddlebags?
Lucky:) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 03:18 PM   #222
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,130
Security of Caribou panniers...

I know the Caribou cases have some sort of lock, can an owner post close-ups of how the lock is installed or give an assessment of their relative security?

Thanks,
Jim
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 06:16 AM   #223
rossaduc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
Jesses and another criteria for judging

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHawk47
I have expanded my list of the pannier system specs I have collected for the F800GS and F650GS to include price and weight. Because I am obsessing on the width issue I have also included my calculation of liters capacity per inch of width. Most manufacturers don't publish the weight:

35.25” MotoSport w/26L cases, 52L total, $960, 1.48 L/in
40.25: MotoSport w/37L cases, 74L total $960, 1.84 L/in
39” Caribou 35L cases, 70L total, $770, 33 lbs, 1.79L/in
40” Caribou 36L on SW Motec EVO racks, 72L total, $788.46, 32 lbs, 1.80 L/in
40.1” Touratech 29L+35L cases, 64L total, $1190, 1.60 L/in
40.8” Touratech 34L+41L cases, 75L total, $1699, 1.84 L/in
36” HappyTrail 61L total, cliff cut (other sizes/widths available), $823+/-, 1.69 L/in typical
33” Jesse 8” Safari 68L total, $1250, 2.06 L/in
37” Jesse 10” Odyssey 90 total, $1150, 2.43 L/in
36.2” BMW Vario, collapsed, 47L total, 1.30 L/in
40.6” BMW Vario, expanded, 67L total, $?, 1.65 L/in
42.5” BMW Aluminum , 82L total, $?, 1.93 L/in
?? Metal Mule, 38L cases, 76L total, $2250 including muffler required for narrower width.

Jesse’s are definitely the winner on liters per inch of width.

If you have more info on these systems or other systems please post to this thread or PM me.
Not a surprise about Jesses actually, another issue is the hinged lid versus completely removable and also geometry. Any of the rectangular will likely be repairable in the event of a spill. I will tell you I low sided on my 1150GS A after cresting an off camber turn that had a nice big dip in it that let bike momentarily unload the suspension, and yeah I was riding too fast. I low sided but bike came about and flopped onto other side, both TT bags were impacted and both were damaged and both were straightened out and reusable. Not sure that you can do that with all of the choices, some for sure you can not. I would always factor in durability in my decision.Rich
rossaduc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 07:42 AM   #224
AngryRed
Lost in Cyber Space

Oddometer: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayner
Just as an FYI, I liked the Touratech case I had on m KTM but didn't like the TT rack for the 800. So I used the Metal Mule balanced rack and exhaust combo, and mounted my cases to those. I didn't even have to move the pucks, they mount right up. Nice and narrow too!
I actually haven't heard of the balance combo up until now. I'm trying to learn more about it but to be honest their site sucks as far as product information. Can you tell me a little about the rack? Did you get their exhaust pipe too? How is the exhaust pipe moved closer to the frame? Would the relocate work with other after-market exhaust pipes?

Cheers!

*Edit: Their site does not like Firefox. Using Firefox the BLS /SLS links show nothing but a white page with a logo. Using IE the info is there, go figure but at least there is more information available.

2013 Super Tenere

AngryRed screwed with this post 06-28-2009 at 07:55 AM
AngryRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 10:39 AM   #225
robhar54
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 476
Quote:
This is my first set of Hepco Gobi cases and they are doing very well. They are wide, but I haven't had a single issue off road or on road.
Just remember to bring extras of those break-away bolts, eh Greg?

Rob in Seattle