Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2009, 12:45 PM   #256
M N B
would rather be riding

Oddometer: 1,108
Quote:
Originally Posted by innovathinker
tighter shot:
It's hard to tell from the pic, but the bag looks crooked...
2003 Husqvarna TE610e
1997 BMW K1100LT Special Edition
M N B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 05:28 PM   #257
blender
Just another rider

Oddometer: 726
Jesse bag intererence

Okay, I'll jump in here.
I *just* finished installing my Jesse Odyssey II bags on the F8GS. With the RH bag in the forward position things *are* a bit tight but no problem opening the gas cap.

There is more clearance than the photo shows.
Edit: Maybe not *that* much, but there's there's a few mm around the area. Certainly enough clearance.

The install instructions are crap, so go back over what you did. Post a photo of how you installed the bag mount brackets. As MNB said it sure looks like the bag is crooked.

blender screwed with this post 08-05-2009 at 08:52 PM
blender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 07:50 PM   #258
rockinrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,739
From Rick at xplorermoto

I sent a link to this thread to Rick. This is his reply.

Roger, I had the local BMW dealer say they had a simular issue a couple of weeks or so ago. I went by to look at it & here's what I found. The bags are adjustable, up and down. They had put on the delron blocks on the bags, tightened them down & didn't do any adjusting to them. When adjusting the bags, 1st leave the bolts that hold the delron to the bag very loose. Then attach the bag to the mount. Next, position the bag (up or down) where the gas cap opens without interference & tighten the crank down tight to hold the bag in place. Then adjust the delron at the bottom of the bag to fit the lower mount & tighten the attachment bolts. This will ensure the bags is up high enough to clear the gas cap when opened. Once this was done, no problems.
I hope this helps others as well as myself.(I have a set coming)
rockinrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:50 PM   #259
blender
Just another rider

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrog
.... A Big Snippy....
Yeah, what rockinrog posted. My big mistake when installing previous pannier systems is not leaving things loose until I'm *sure* things fit correctly.

Believe me, if there's a way to screw it up I usually follow that path. You can't make something idiot-proof because nature invents a better idiot.
Old 08-05-2009, 09:25 PM   #260
innovathinker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrog
I sent a link to this thread to Rick. This is his reply.

Roger, I had the local BMW dealer say they had a simular issue a couple of weeks or so ago. I went by to look at it & here's what I found. The bags are adjustable, up and down. They had put on the delron blocks on the bags, tightened them down & didn't do any adjusting to them. When adjusting the bags, 1st leave the bolts that hold the delron to the bag very loose. Then attach the bag to the mount. Next, position the bag (up or down) where the gas cap opens without interference & tighten the crank down tight to hold the bag in place. Then adjust the delron at the bottom of the bag to fit the lower mount & tighten the attachment bolts. This will ensure the bags is up high enough to clear the gas cap when opened. Once this was done, no problems.
I don't think this will work, since only the bottom blocks are adjustable, the upper one is fixed (at least is was on mine, which are Safaris, not Odessys) and thus sets the height of the bags on the mount.

As I said, I can open the gas cap, but only if I "tilt" the bag a little when opening the gas cap. The rubber mount on the upper gives it the flex to do that.

The only difference in setup I can see is how hard you tighten the crank, which brings the bags closer to the frame, and the gas cap. I have a tendancy to tighten things down a bunch.

innovathinker screwed with this post 08-06-2009 at 08:40 AM
innovathinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 08:59 AM   #261
innovathinker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
From Jesse Luggage Site

Ok, I went to the Jesse luggage site to see if they had any good pics, and to see if maybe I installed something wrong. Below is off of their site. Since the gas cap swings out due to the angle, does anyone still think there *isn't* a clearance problem?

My guess is I'll have to open the bag lid in order to put gas in it (in Cali we have those large rubber vacum hoses on the gas pump handles).
Attached Images

Old 08-06-2009, 09:50 AM   #262
CrazyMike
***42***

Oddometer: 888
Quote:
Ok, I went to the Jesse luggage site to see if they had any good pics, and to see if maybe I installed something wrong. Below is off of their site. Since the gas cap swings out due to the angle, does anyone still think there *isn't* a clearance problem?

My guess is I'll have to open the bag lid in order to put gas in it (in Cali we have those large rubber vacum hoses on the gas pump handles).
I don't think there's a clearance problem...at least there's not a problem with the Jesse panniers I have.
2009 BMW F800GS
WANTED: Kawasaki ZRX 1200R
CrazyMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 11:59 AM   #263
swolf
swolf

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
I don't think this will work, since only the bottom blocks are adjustable, the upper one is fixed (at least is was on mine, which are Safaris, not Odessys) and thus sets the height of the bags on the mount.

As I said, I can open the gas cap, but only if I "tilt" the bag a little when opening the gas cap. The rubber mount on the upper gives it the flex to do that.
+1 exactly!!!! I have the larger ones, forgot what they are called. Rick did say the bikes all have a bit of difference. But it worries me, if I go down once on the gas cap side I will have a problem and so will anyone else with the same issue. Now, what to do and how to get it solved now that a few people have the same problem.

Hear what happens:
Go to, post 108
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...56#post9502356

I do really like the boxes all and all.
swolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 08:07 AM   #264
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 9,002
Mounted my 35l Zegas from my 950 using a GS800 TT rack of course. Solidly mounted for sure.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 05:54 PM   #265
3Rugrs4GA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,267
Quote:

Any chance you have the bags on backwards?

Jesse's website shows the locks toward the back of the bike, not the front. And...the cutout that you show in the picture is to fit around the exhaust on the opposite side of the bike. It looks like the bags are mounted backwards.
3Rugrs4GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 06:27 PM   #266
DiabloBlanco
Intl' Hops Inspector

Oddometer: 301
No, I haven't tried it with mine but it is SO obvious in hand which way is the right way and I'm sure it wouldn't even be possible to attempt to mount them backwards.

Also, locks are on both the front and back of each bag.

But that being said I can see how if one little piece was off or welded just a little bit that it could make opening the gas cap difficult. I never had a problem opening the gas cap until I dropped the bike a few times on the gas cap side pushing the Jesses just a touch out of line (but then the cap just scraped the side of the bag a little, still no problem).... but NOW I filled up today and think after the last drop that something must have gotten pushed back in line because it opened completely freely. hmph

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Rugrs4GA
Any chance you have the bags on backwards?

Jesse's website shows the locks toward the back of the bike, not the front. And...the cutout that you show in the picture is to fit around the exhaust on the opposite side of the bike. It looks like the bags are mounted backwards.
US (MN, WI, IA, KS, OK, MO, TX), Mexico, Belize, Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama, Colombia, Venezuela. 11 down, 184 to go.
DiabloBlanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 06:42 PM   #267
3Rugrs4GA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,267
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloBlanco
No, I haven't tried it with mine but it is SO obvious in hand which way is the right way and I'm sure it wouldn't even be possible to attempt to mount them backwards.

Also, locks are on both the front and back of each bag.

But that being said I can see how if one little piece was off or welded just a little bit that it could make opening the gas cap difficult. I never had a problem opening the gas cap until I dropped the bike a few times on the gas cap side pushing the Jesses just a touch out of line (but then the cap just scraped the side of the bag a little, still no problem).... but NOW I filled up today and think after the last drop that something must have gotten pushed back in line because it opened completely freely. hmph
I didn't know the locks were on both the front and back....I have a f800gs and want to buy the charcoal panniers soon....I'll probably give my wife the cash and link to the website and ask for them for Christmas. This post is the first negative post that I've read about the Jesse's, so I am somewhat concerned about their fit. I hope you work out your issues with the bags and fit. Thanks. G
3Rugrs4GA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 07:49 PM   #268
DiabloBlanco
Intl' Hops Inspector

Oddometer: 301
Thumb

Oh but don't take that as a negative opinion at all on the cases, I mean really, when you drop all 500+lbs of your loaded bike enough times and the cases are the first thing that hits the ground, they're bound to get just a little beat up. Just don't be a dumbass like me and drop the bike over... and over.. and over. But still, I've never had a problem putting in gas either, sometimes the cap just scraped against the cases but never prevented operation.

I honestly think the Jesse's are worth their weight in gold (well that might be a lot of gold). From Venezuela to now Belize (about 4,000 miles) they have yet to disappoint me. That's not to say they are better than the rest, I can't compare them to bags I've never had, but I will definitely give them two thumbs up. They've been hit by cars, hit cars, been dropped, and beaten to hell and they're still in great condition.
US (MN, WI, IA, KS, OK, MO, TX), Mexico, Belize, Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama, Colombia, Venezuela. 11 down, 184 to go.
DiabloBlanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 10:00 PM   #269
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,707
Giantloop Great Basin

Have you guys considered soft luggage systems? I would rather keep my legs after going down on a remote trail. If you ever want to do some challenging roads this is the way to go.

Got the GiantLoop Great Basin bag along with my tent bag... There is plenty more room to strap another bag to the back or top of the giant loop.

Here is all the stuff that is in the bag:

The giantloop at the top is empty, just open. The yellow stuff sacks have clothes and sleeping bag. The left black bag has things like a hatchet, electronics, survival gear, straps, gloves, etc. The right black bag has tubes for front (ultra heavy duty 4mm) and rear (reg 2mm) plus all the gear required to change/patch them. There are also sleeves in the bag that easily hold the two 1-liter bottles (extra gas would be easily substituted here).

On the bike (sorry for the glare but hopefully any truck I encounter in the dark will see me):

On of my concerns includes the strap mount on the right side, it is rather close to the rear brake fluid reservoir. This can easily be fixed by a hose clamp or something to lower the mounting point.

Mounting to the passenger guard on the left side:

Plenty of clearance

Bag strapped to the back

Sorry for the poor quality images! I will be testing this rig at an off road part in the area tomorrow
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 06:15 AM   #270
edfetz
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 991
Has anyone bought these Ebay panniers?? Cheap.. Or is it Inexpensive? Im curious about the quailty.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Alumi...Q5fAccessories
JGRMX-Pirelli Tires
edfetz is offline   Reply With Quote