Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2009, 11:00 AM   #271
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
Anyone know if there's anything for the Zega Pros from touratech that relocates the f800gs' exhaust* so you can have equally sized panniers on both sides/no cuttaways?

*Like the metal mule system.
Old 09-18-2009, 03:42 PM   #272
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,457
Do the Zega Pro's use the same puck system as the old version? If so, they can be mounted to the Metal Mule rack and exhaust combo. (I have done this on my bike)
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 05:37 PM   #273
Ceri JC
UK GSer

Oddometer: 2,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayner
Do the Zega Pro's use the same puck system as the old version? If so, they can be mounted to the Metal Mule rack and exhaust combo. (I have done this on my bike)
I have got a TT catalogue at home which shows the mounting system, so I will look into this; I suspect the answer is yes, so this will probably allow me to do this. Thanks Bayner.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:15 PM   #274
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,457
You're welcome. You may want to order them in the non pre-mounted version so you can set them to exactly match the Metal Mule frame. The ones I'm using were from my KTM/TT rack and the pucks are mounted just a tad narrower than the MM dimensions. I have used mine on & off road without issue just as they are however, and like that they fit both bikes.
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 06:30 AM   #275
David_S
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderTheX
Have you guys considered soft luggage systems? I would rather keep my legs after going down on a remote trail. If you ever want to do some challenging roads this is the way to go.

Got the GiantLoop Great Basin bag along with my tent bag... There is plenty more room to strap another bag to the back or top of the giant loop.

Here is all the stuff that is in the bag:

The giantloop at the top is empty, just open. The yellow stuff sacks have clothes and sleeping bag. The left black bag has things like a hatchet, electronics, survival gear, straps, gloves, etc. The right black bag has tubes for front (ultra heavy duty 4mm) and rear (reg 2mm) plus all the gear required to change/patch them. There are also sleeves in the bag that easily hold the two 1-liter bottles (extra gas would be easily substituted here).
The problem I have and many others with soft luggage is there is no security. 15 seconds with a sharp knife and the entire bag is gone. I can't piss in 15 seconds so....I guess it really depends on where you ride and if there is any risk of theft.
Old 10-04-2009, 06:34 AM   #276
David_S
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by edfetz
Has anyone bought these Ebay panniers?? Cheap.. Or is it Inexpensive? Im curious about the quailty.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Alumi...Q5fAccessories
I looked at those a while back but when I priced a set of mounts, mounting hardware etc it was pretty much a wash with a set of happy-Trails mounts and cases and you know what your getting. I suppose if you don't need any hardware they may be worth the price
Old 10-05-2009, 07:49 AM   #277
v8toilet
Nothing to see here.

Oddometer: 1,702
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_S
The problem I have and many others with soft luggage is there is no security. 15 seconds with a sharp knife and the entire bag is gone. I can't piss in 15 seconds so....I guess it really depends on where you ride and if there is any risk of theft.
While I can see your point about hard luggage being 'more' secure I don't think there is a metal pannier out there somebody couldn't get in in 15-30 seconds. I've had Jesse's, Micatechs, Happy Trials, TT's, BMW Varios. If somebody wants in they'll get in. Most guys keep the stuff inside in nice liner bags so pop the lid lift out the bag and walk away. Hard luggage keeps casual thieves out but is in no way secure IMO.
v8toilet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:19 AM   #278
David_S
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8toilet
While I can see your point about hard luggage being 'more' secure I don't think there is a metal pannier out there somebody couldn't get in in 15-30 seconds. I've had Jesse's, Micatechs, Happy Trials, TT's, BMW Varios. If somebody wants in they'll get in. Most guys keep the stuff inside in nice liner bags so pop the lid lift out the bag and walk away. Hard luggage keeps casual thieves out but is in no way secure IMO.

Keeping casual thieves out is the point for me. Don't get me wrong I've used soft luggage but prefer hard with lock. Heck the pros will just grab the bike and toss it in the back of a truck. I like to be able to park and walk in some where and take a piss or go for a stroll in the woods. With soft luggage it's just too easy for some jerk with a jack knife to slice the straps and off he goes with the entire bag. Most thieves are lazy and won't go through the effort of prying open a locked case unless they know there is something valuable inside where they may just chance taking the soft bag since it requires minimal effort. I agree nothing is theft prof but I get a better since of security with a locked hard case, maybe a false sense but it works for me.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:19 PM   #279
v8toilet
Nothing to see here.

Oddometer: 1,702
Quote:
Keeping casual thieves out is the point for me. Don't get me wrong I've used soft luggage but prefer hard with lock. Heck the pros will just grab the bike and toss it in the back of a truck. I like to be able to park and walk in some where and take a piss or go for a stroll in the woods. With soft luggage it's just too easy for some jerk with a jack knife to slice the straps and off he goes with the entire bag. Most thieves are lazy and won't go through the effort of prying open a locked case unless they know there is something valuable inside where they may just chance taking the soft bag since it requires minimal effort. I agree nothing is theft prof but I get a better since of security with a locked hard case, maybe a false sense but it works for me.
I agree 100%.
v8toilet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 06:36 PM   #280
hworley
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
TT Panniers

Has anyone powder coated Tourtech panniers? I was thinking the 200 Deg. baking would effect the seal?
hworley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 09:28 PM   #281
BruceV
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
I was wondering if anyone knew if the BMW sport panniers that fit the F 800 S would fit the GS? http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fic...Panniers&model=
Old 10-13-2009, 09:33 PM   #282
BruceV
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 165
I should have said that I have a set from my K1200S. I guess the ones for the 800 are different. I was trying to use them since I have them. Thought I could buy just the mounting hardware.

I'm picking up my new GS on Friday.
Old 10-16-2009, 05:55 AM   #283
Aether
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
Happy Trails mounts

Could one of you folks with the HT panniers post some decent shots from the sides and the back of what the rack looks like without the boxes mounted?

The ones on HTs website are way too close up to give a good perspective. In those shots - especially from the back - they look ginormous, so I'd like to see it from a bit further back.

Thanks!

-A
Aether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 07:00 AM   #284
David_S
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aether
Could one of you folks with the HT panniers post some decent shots from the sides and the back of what the rack looks like without the boxes mounted?

The ones on HTs website are way too close up to give a good perspective. In those shots - especially from the back - they look ginormous, so I'd like to see it from a bit further back.

Thanks!

-A
couple pics HERE of the cases mounted
Old 10-16-2009, 05:44 PM   #285
Aether
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
Quote:
couple pics HERE of the cases mounted
Thanks, but I'm looking for shots of the racks without the cases mounted. I'm also curious as to how they're mounted/how quickly they can be put on and pulled off since I don't see any details on HT's website.

The majority of the time I plan to run without the side cases an just my Trax top case, but want to be able to put the cases on in a jiffy when needed. I would also prefer that when not mounted, it doesn't look like I have a jungle gym attached to the back half of my bike. 8)

To respond to the obvious question, I'm shying away from the Trax sidecases due to their size.

Aether screwed with this post 10-16-2009 at 05:50 PM
Aether is offline   Reply With Quote