ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2008, 08:15 AM   #16
marty hill
The Energizer Bunny
 
marty hill's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: marietta, ga.
Oddometer: 4,210
Does anyone have info on what the bmw and jesse 8" bags weigh?
__________________
ride till you can't.
1200GS/black
Boxer Cup Replika/red-white-blue

Semper Paratus
marty hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 09:27 AM   #17
TreeFarmer
Tree Farmer Adventurer
 
TreeFarmer's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Oregon Christmas Tree Farm
Oddometer: 234
TRAX anyone?

Hey,
How about these? http://www.mo-tech.de/sonstige_dokumente/trax.pdf They are pretty new so not sure how many people have them yet, but I sure do like what I see. Seems to be very similar to the BMW Adventure bags. Thanks to the UKGser's (http://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthr...=146379&page=3 see post #47) here are some stats for you converted to US measurements and with $ available from Twisted Throttle. Price includes bags+SW EVO racks

TRAX 37L+45L (Standard set up) $815.00 43 3/4"
TRAX 37L+37L (Balanced Narrow) $790.00 42"
TRAX 45L+45L (Balanced Large) $840.00 45 3/8"

F800gs handle bars 32"

anybody have any experience with these bags please chime in.
Thanks
TreeFarmer
TreeFarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 10:03 AM   #18
WoodWorks
House Ape
 
WoodWorks's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: Ashland, OR, USA
Oddometer: 2,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeFarmer
F800gs handle bars 32"
I've seen that figure here and elsewhere, TreeFarmer, but when I measure my handle bars, I get 34.25", and that's not counting the extra width from my Touratech hand guards. My mirrors are 36" wide.

David
__________________
David

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 10:22 AM   #19
TreeFarmer
Tree Farmer Adventurer
 
TreeFarmer's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Oregon Christmas Tree Farm
Oddometer: 234
Handlebar Width

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodWorks
I've seen that figure here and elsewhere, TreeFarmer, but when I measure my handle bars, I get 34.25", and that's not counting the extra width from my Touratech hand guards. My mirrors are 36" wide.

David
That sounds more correct to me. I converted from TimC's post and got a diffrent width than he posted. I believe the other info is all correct though.
TreeFarmer
TreeFarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 10:29 AM   #20
The Griz
North Forest Rider
 
The Griz's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Minnesota
Oddometer: 3,779
Yeah, I'd like to hear more about those Trax bags as well. Multi-angle pics on an 800GS maybe....
__________________
PAUL BUNYAN FOREST RIDERS MC
2013 KTM 300 XC-W
2014 KTM 690 Enduro R
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 10:53 AM   #21
WoodWorks
House Ape
 
WoodWorks's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: Ashland, OR, USA
Oddometer: 2,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz
Yeah, I'd like to hear more about those Trax bags as well. Multi-angle pics on an 800GS maybe....
Here you go, Griz.

David
__________________
David

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 11:03 AM   #22
F800 Rob
MotoInsight
 
F800 Rob's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Oddometer: 1,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz
Yeah, I'd like to hear more about those Trax bags as well. Multi-angle pics on an 800GS maybe....
I've had some significant hands on time with the Trax bags for the F800GS. They're quite nice overall, especially considering the price and the soft liners that are available for it. Specially like the look of the bike with the bags all in black. Price for the two bags setup for the F800GS, including mount, adapter and locks is less than $850.

The only thing I didn't like about them is that you cant take the key from the lock when open, which means you have to either A) unlock each bag with the key when trying to get something out of them, or B) don't install the locks.

I'll see if I can dig up some pictures of the setup when I get home tonight. I know that I have a bunch. There are a few on F800 Depot and pics of a Trax setup on my F800S on F800 Riders.
__________________
As of September 6th 2013, all Motorcycle Insight sites list above have been sold to and are operated by LM Cycle Supply. Please see the official announcement here.
F800 Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 11:25 AM   #23
Bucko
In a parallel world
 
Bucko's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: South Coast, CA
Oddometer: 817
Quote:
Originally Posted by F800 Rob
I've had some significant hands on time with the Trax bags for the F800GS. They're quite nice overall, especially considering the price and the soft liners that are available for it. Specially like the look of the bike with the bags all in black. Price for the two bags setup for the F800GS, including mount, adapter and locks is less than $850.

The only thing I didn't like about them is that you cant take the key from the lock when open, which means you have to either A) unlock each bag with the key when trying to get something out of them, or B) don't install the locks.

I'll see if I can dig up some pictures of the setup when I get home tonight. I know that I have a bunch. There are a few on F800 Depot and pics of a Trax setup on my F800S on F800 Riders.
Rob, did you have the bolt-to-plastic contact problem documented in UKGSer post linked to by David?
Bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 01:07 PM   #24
F800 Rob
MotoInsight
 
F800 Rob's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Oddometer: 1,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucko
Rob, did you have the bolt-to-plastic contact problem documented in UKGSer post linked to by David?
Negtive, I did not. I do concur with him about not moving the indicators. I didn't move them when installing the quick-disconnect kit on my F800S either.

I wouldn't hesitate on running with them -- especially with all three pieces.

FWIW, and a little bit off-Trax-topic, I have the R1200GS adventure cases installed now with the Holan as I ended up selling my Trax setup. They're about 2" wider but I really can't notice a difference in look and feel. I ended up changing to the Adventure setup because I wanted to put some serious time on using Holan products before starting to import them.

Also, more pics:

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/artic...eview/228/1/9/
__________________
As of September 6th 2013, all Motorcycle Insight sites list above have been sold to and are operated by LM Cycle Supply. Please see the official announcement here.
F800 Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 02:16 PM   #25
springfish
Gnarly Adventurer
 
springfish's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Hood River, Oregon
Oddometer: 111
I LOVE the size and quality of the Jesse boxes, however the fact that they didn't include tie down points on the lids is a total miss. I'm not about to spend the $$ for them only to have to drill (and waterproof) holes to add my own strap points.

REAL dumb.
__________________
Bloody shins are my wedding ring.
springfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 02:22 PM   #26
huckleberry
BACK ROAD BOMBER
 
huckleberry's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: N.E. Pa.
Oddometer: 1,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by marty hill
Does anyone have info on what the bmw and jesse 8" bags weigh?
i was told the 10" were around 15lbs.so i would assume the 8" to weigh slightly less
__________________
“An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” Marco Polo
09 F 650 GS twin
XR 400
Beta Techno
huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 02:42 PM   #27
marty hill
The Energizer Bunny
 
marty hill's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: marietta, ga.
Oddometer: 4,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfish
I LOVE the size and quality of the Jesse boxes, however the fact that they didn't include tie down points on the lids is a total miss. I'm not about to spend the $$ for them only to have to drill (and waterproof) holes to add my own strap points.

REAL dumb.
Man, if you love the bags it takes about 20 minutes to do the job right. It's not exactly a big problem. I'm about to order my 3rd set of jesse bags.

Huck, thanks for that. I'm hoping someone knows both for sure,
__________________
ride till you can't.
1200GS/black
Boxer Cup Replika/red-white-blue

Semper Paratus
marty hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 03:00 PM   #28
]I)Money
D NOT I
 
]I)Money's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Central central.
Oddometer: 3,581
Bolt-to-plastic

I had it, a little:

A little bending took care of it, though. I like how clean it looks with them off, too:

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax
Yes, but everything you've ever posted in the basement indicates that you're certifiably crazy, so you don't count.

"Another road remains, but it provides no more. It can only take us away"
]I)Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 03:13 PM   #29
earthroamer
Stuck in Pindadesh
 
earthroamer's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: SoCal
Oddometer: 2,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by marty hill
Man, if you love the bags it takes about 20 minutes to do the job right. It's not exactly a big problem. I'm about to order my 3rd set of jesse bags.
I agree. The fact is, not everybody wants the racks (that's why they're optional). $65 and less than 30 minutes and your done.

__________________
Jim
06 F650GS
I wanna ride
earthroamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 04:02 PM   #30
springfish
Gnarly Adventurer
 
springfish's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Hood River, Oregon
Oddometer: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthroamer
I agree. The fact is, not everybody wants the racks (that's why they're optional). $65 and less than 30 minutes and your done.

It seems to me, though I've been wrong before, that buying panniers without strap points is the same as buying an Hummer to drive around the city. What's the point? Any REAL adventure riding requiring panniers certainly requires lashing equipment to the top of them.

Panniers without strap points are merely fashion accessories. Period.
__________________
Bloody shins are my wedding ring.
springfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014