but they do make the bike pretty wide...especially for a 650..IMHO
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 03:26 PM   #302
Bartron
Bike Punisher

Oddometer: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dert Gerl

Not to stray too far off-topic but Dert Girl, which tires are those and more importantly, where are your passenger footrests hiding?

Lovely pic, BTW

==================================
:: Furious Basterds: Velox, Vehemens, Oblivio
::
:: "For those who don't understand, no explanation is possible. For those who do, none is necessary."
Bartron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 04:01 PM   #303
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartron
Not to stray too far off-topic but Dert Girl, which tires are those and more importantly, where are your passenger footrests hiding?

Lovely pic, BTW
Ever heard of PM?
Old 12-26-2009, 04:01 PM   #304
BEC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
yes, but they are smaller in size and they have a handle and wheels and all. Not really needed.
Suzuki DL1000 Vstrom
Kawasaki KLR 650
BEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 04:48 PM   #305
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,057
Bec..just pointing them out...too wide either sizes for my taste and bike...but really durable from what I read here and what I have been told.
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 05:01 PM   #306
Bartron
Bike Punisher

Oddometer: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
Ever heard of PM?
My bad.

Nonetheless, the presence of passenger footrests would certainly affect your choice of panniers based on the fact that most pannier racks attach to the passenger footrest in some fashion and someone had already asked about the racks used in that soft-bag application.

Hope that brings up the Relevant-O-Meter.

==================================
:: Furious Basterds: Velox, Vehemens, Oblivio
::
:: "For those who don't understand, no explanation is possible. For those who do, none is necessary."
Bartron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:25 AM   #307
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,998
Question BMW Vario Panniers - Design changes / update?

I think I recall someone saying that the design of the BMW Vario cases for the F650GS/F800GS had been updated - that the "latch" to the lower mounting frame had been improved or something like that?

If so can anybody describe the difference between new and old?
If I go with a pair I think I'd prefer the new design, but am not sure how to tell them appart and am going to look at a pair this wkend.........

Thanks!
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 09:21 AM   #308
TreeFarmer
Tree Farmer Adventurer

Oddometer: 234
Custom Rack Question

Let me start with the question first. Are your pannier racks equal-distant (parallel) front and back, more specifically for those of you that have the Metal Mule. Happy Trails & Touratech? But other please chime in about distance comparison of the front/back of your pannier systems.

I am long overdue on putting some bags on my bike. I started with one project for the bike, life got in the way and everything got tabled. I am back on track now. The project that I started first is driving my bag decision (more on that later with thread to come). Here is some specifics with what I am trying to do.

First, I want a “balanced rack system”. The only one I have found after re-reading this entire thread is the MM system. Only problem with theirs is you need a new muffler & for a lot of folks that is a game killer anyway, it was for me.

Second, I want it to be universal so you can add just about any bag to the system you want although this means only “flat sided bags”. So no Jesse’s or RMS or any bag with cutouts.

Yes, I am building my own racks which gets me back to my original question. I built my own racks for my old NX650 and things turned out pretty well. This time I am trying to step up the build quality and make things very universal. I bought a set of the TT 18MM hoops that will be the backer for the panniers. I will buy the TT, HT or make my own attachment system as i did before using actual hockey pucks. When I was finally laying things out last night I noticed something I had overlooked before. When you measure from the centerline in the back of the bike (as I originally did) to the outside point on the back end of the muffler, it is 10”. Double that and it is 20” wide for a balanced system, All set, or so I thought! What I failed to realize (ok I am an idiot), was that the muffler is tapered in towards the back of the bike. The widest point on the back side of the bike itself is the little pointy bits of the tank. The bike is roughly 20” wide at this point. The muffler though actually sticks out about 1.25-1.5” wider than the bike at this point for a balanced distance of ~23". The pictures of the RMS system (see post #152 of this thread) show it best. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=152

So the second half of this question is, do you tapper in the pannier racks to follow the line of the stock muffler or do you keep the rack parallel front to back? It looks like the general rule of thumb is parallel.

Thoughts?
TreeFarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 12:22 PM   #309
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,446
I have the Metal Mule system and it must be pretty close to parallel. I'm the kind of guy who squares off his cutlery to his place setting at dinner, so I'm apt to notice if it weren't. (Kinda OCD, I know) However, it's unlikely to stay perfect, since mine are scratched up nicely on the hoop sections from providing crash protection for the rear of the bike.
Now that I think of it, I have Zega cases mounted to the MM frames (with the TT puck mounts. I already owned the cases in case you're wondering why...) The rear lower puck does not touch the exhaust, however the front lower puck does, just slightly. So, I agree with your observations that the racks run true to centerline and the exhaust does not.
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 03:37 PM   #310
dirtbound4Max
Hangin' 10 on the F8

Oddometer: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoof
My scale is a bit, um, vintage, but I'm getting 14 pounds per bag and 6 pounds for rack and bolts/mounting hardware. So a total weight of 34 pounds for the BMW stuff.
Spoof,
""Roger that" on the vintage scale comment! I had to weigh myself with and without the cases to get the "math pieces" I needed to make up for a scale that doesn't register anything under 50 pounds. Long story short, I got the same numbers you did ~ Approximately 28 pounds for the Vario Cases (Empty!).
dirtbound4Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 06:46 PM   #311
Lager Meister
Work less, ride more

Oddometer: 187
Zega Pros with Holan balanced rack

Anyone looking for a balanced pannier set should give this setup a look. This is the Holan balanced pannier rack with matched 38L Zega Pros and Metal Mule exhaust. The Holan rack requires an aftermarket exhaust as the stock can sticks out too far. Overall width is 42". I'm extremely happy with this setup.

Holan balanced pannier racks: $249.99
2 x Zega Pro 38L Anodized cases with locks and 18mm mounting kits: $1113.00
Metal Mule exhaust: $380.00

Total: $1742.99

This angle shows that the exhaust outlet is 4" beyond the edge of the case. Soot build-up on the case shouldn't be an issue with this setup.

Lager Meister screwed with this post 02-25-2010 at 10:17 AM
Lager Meister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 09:23 PM   #312
cug

Oddometer: 4,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lager Meister
Anyone looking for a balanced pannier set should give this setup a look. This is the Holan balanced pannier rack with matched 38L Zega Pros and Metal Mule exhaust. The Holan rack requires an aftermarket exhaust as the stock can sticks out too far. Overall width is 42". I'm extremely happy with this setup.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding something, but what is the advantage of having it balanced and still the same width as the BMW Adventure Panniers (~42")? Those go on / off in seconds, have a bit more volume (not much though), and were for me even a bit cheaper.

Having them balanced doesn't make a difference for me at all, as I normally pack various dry bags per pannier anyways and shove them where they make sense.
cug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 08:47 AM   #313
Lager Meister
Work less, ride more

Oddometer: 187
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug
Maybe I'm misunderstanding something, but what is the advantage of having it balanced and still the same width as the BMW Adventure Panniers (~42")? Those go on / off in seconds, have a bit more volume (not much though), and were for me even a bit cheaper.

Having them balanced doesn't make a difference for me at all, as I normally pack various dry bags per pannier anyways and shove them where they make sense.

For me, it's mostly about being able to easily use all of the available space in both cases. Exhaust cutouts are a pain in my opinion. A rectangular case is just easier to pack without wasting space. I've toured for several years on my 1150GS with BMW system cases and I can't count the number of times I've cursed that exhaust side case.

As far as having balanced panniers, it's partly about balancing the load on the bike but I'll admit that it's also about aesthetics. I personally don't like the look of different size cases or having the exhaust side stick out farther than the other side. Even with a balanced setup you still have to pack strategically to distribute weight, but it does make things a little easier.

Obviously everyone has different needs and different budget constraints, but for my needs and budget this setup fits the bill. Trying to achieve the narrowest possible width wasn't the top priority for me. YMMV.
Lager Meister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:57 PM   #314
OrcasKen
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 121
This is a great thread and y'all have made it both easier and harder to choose some boxes for my new ride. I think I'm down to choosing either the Caribou 36L or the OEM adventure cases.
  • Caribou 36L - I like that the cases themselves are uniform and durable and that the breakaway design might save my leg someday. I've used Pelicans and it sounds like the Storm cases are just as good with better latches. It also sounds like the Caribou rack is rock solid, though IMHO it doesn't look as good when the cases are off the bike. One person also mentioned using silicon to seal tubes to prevent rust - interesting that box welds aren't used to seal open tubes. The best? Seems that Roger has been very supportive and responsive to this community, which is wonderful to see!
  • OEM Adventure - IMHO, these are the best-looking cases on the best-looking and -fitting rack. I'll prob run with just a top case around town, so it's a nicety that the racks fit well with the bike. They are on the expensive side, but so is BMW compared with other brands and you often get what you pay for. The biggest concern/downside is what happens when the bike goes down? I don't mind adding "character" to the cases, but don't want to deal with mangeled cases that can't again be made waterproof. Anyone with these cases and some rough drops care to comment on durability?
Thoughts/comments appreciated...
OrcasKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:39 PM   #315
selecus
--------

Oddometer: 80
[quote=Lager Meister]Anyone looking for a balanced pannier set should give this setup a look. This is the Holan balanced pannier rack with matched 38L Zega Pros and Metal Mule exhaust. The Holan rack requires an aftermarket exhaust as the stock can sticks out too far. Overall width is 42". I'm extremely happy with this setup.

Holan balanced pannier racks: $249.99
2 x Zega Pro 38L Anodized cases with locks and 18mm mounting kits: $1113.00
Metal Mule exhaust: $380.00

Total: $1742.99

Almost exactly what I did, but instead have the TT rack and had it modified to make it balanced. Got the Zega Pro and rack for $1200 on sale. But had I known about the Holan racks, I definitely would've gone your route...although not sure if that rack was avaialable last year. Regardless, good work!
selecus is offline   Reply With Quote