User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2010, 11:47 PM   #361
Bernt56
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Stahlkoffer Panniers

If you are interested in panniers for the BMW range it might be worth checking out our website (www.stahlkoffer.com)
Any comments would be welcome.
Bernie
Tel: 07710 149 726
Bernt56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 05:23 PM   #362
kelsow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,118
Long story short, I got some new bags.

Whatcha think?

I think they'll do just fine.
Site: dualsport.ca and rideatlantic.ca
kelsow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 05:31 PM   #363
Pete O Static
Adventure Seeker

Oddometer: 567
Kelso

What was wrong with the Gobis? Man I miss Halifax.
Pete O Static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 05:43 PM   #364
kelsow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,118
Nothing. I just happened to loose one this past Friday. Believe it or not, the plastic adapter plate broke and one bag went flying and I didn't notice it.
200kms went by till I noticed. Re traced my route but couldn't find it.

Worst thing was I had to cancel my camping trip.
Site: dualsport.ca and rideatlantic.ca
kelsow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 06:06 PM   #365
Pete O Static
Adventure Seeker

Oddometer: 567
Holy Crap! Don't mean to be insensitive but I was laughing when I got the visual! Sorry man, that sucks! Replacing everything that was in the bag could be a pain in the arse.

I once ran over a mattress on the 103 and eventually caught up to a guy with a box spring on his roof .
Pete O Static is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 06:24 PM   #366
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,160
I've got what I hope is a foolproof way to stop UBE*

I've taped an "If found" type business card to the back of both bags...
I figure if I'm prepared maybe it will never happen....

*UBE - Undetected Bag Ejection
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 04:08 AM   #367
raider
Big red dog

Oddometer: 1,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden
I've got what I hope is a foolproof way to stop UBE*

I've taped an "If found" type business card to the back of both bags...
I figure if I'm prepared maybe it will never happen....

*UBE - Undetected Bag Ejection
No, the best way is to put some piece of shit wedding gift you hate, and secretly hope will break, in it. Guaranteed to last forever. If you're not married, an expensive-but-broken gadget you're hoping to hit up for an insurance claim will do just as well.
Old 05-29-2010, 12:05 AM   #368
Cybermach
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Carribou Panniers

I'm currently debating the Jesse or Carribou question and I'm tending to lean toward the function over beauty side of the argument. I just need one question answered before I go for the Carribous: I know the panniers have locks but what about the mount to the rack? The quick release system has a lot of advantages but I don't want to have to dismount my cases and drag them into a client's office if I'm going to be there the whole afternoon. Are they, in fact, lockable to the frame?

O.k., two questions. Does anyone have the 40L cases and ride two up? I'm going on a trip trough Italy in September and a tall friend is flying out to meet me, she's 5' 11". How's the leg room?

Thanks All!
Cybermach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 06:29 AM   #369
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybermach
The quick release system has a lot of advantages but I don't want to have to dismount my cases and drag them into a client's office if I'm going to be there the whole afternoon. Are they, in fact, lockable to the frame?
I've got the 36L Caribous mounted to SW-Motech EVO removable racks, and yes, the bags can be locked to the racks, and you can get locks for the racks as well. I haven't bothered.

David

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 09:45 AM   #370
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual

Oddometer: 2,655
Quickloks

Replace the Quick locks with bolts. Maybe just one in the top position. If the guy is willing to pull out tools any rack system is "unlocked".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybermach
I'm currently debating the Jesse or Carribou question and I'm tending to lean toward the function over beauty side of the argument. I just need one question answered before I go for the Carribous: I know the panniers have locks but what about the mount to the rack? The quick release system has a lot of advantages but I don't want to have to dismount my cases and drag them into a client's office if I'm going to be there the whole afternoon. Are they, in fact, lockable to the frame?

O.k., two questions. Does anyone have the 40L cases and ride two up? I'm going on a trip trough Italy in September and a tall friend is flying out to meet me, she's 5' 11". How's the leg room?

Thanks All!
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 03:07 PM   #371
vtbob
wanderer

Oddometer: 523
I would recommend the Jessie's. The can be easily moved forward and back about 4 inches. This is much more likely to accomdate your tall friend if needed.
The Jessie mounting system is extremely well designed and very strong. I tested that personally last week end. Other than some scratches and a bruise ego, the cases ( and the bike ) were fine.

I agnoized over which cases to buy, looked at many, one of the deciding factors for me was keeping the center of balance close to the center line of the bike for good handling. Doing this while keeping the bike as narrow as possilbe (this is adventure turning in the boonies so width is more important than some ultra wide freeway scow) was another factor.

Jessie clearly has give this more design thought than almost all other case manufactures. Some where on this blog some one listed out the width vs volume. Jessie was clear on top in that criteria.

Jessie is not cheap but for my thinking the best design and built.
vtbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 11:14 PM   #372
Cybermach
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Jesse's vs. Carribou

Thanks for the tips guys. I've decided on the Carribou system. The Website says the 40L boxes will allow up to a men's size ten riding boots on the pegs. Her feet aren't that big so we should be cool. I just couldn't wrap my head around the extra €600 for the Jesses. They are within two inchs of width of each other so that doesn't make much of a difference. Weight can be placed low in either system, so no difference there. I am relatively certain that the rack system for the Carribou is up to the task and the lifetime warranty on the boxes along with the break away hinges speaks for the Carribous. The only thing that I can't argue with is that the Jesses look a bazillion times better but I guess I'm just not feeling like it's €600 worth of better. Another point to consider is that my bike is my only vehicle so with Carribou's additional top mount system I can mount an old Halliburton carry-on case on the top rack and I have a perfect travel solution for getting on the plane. Just a weekend? -Take the Halliburton. Going home to the States for a visit? -Take all three! (I tend to do some shopping for myself when I'm home, damn VAT taxes...)
Cybermach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 11:48 AM   #373
TexasMule
Float away ya fairy...

Oddometer: 3,848
Holan Pannier issue - locks

I've shot a PM to F800ROB and am awaiting a response, but I thought I'd put this out to the group.

Trying to lock the bags on TXMedic's bike last night getting ready to ship the bike to Seattle, the locks wouldn't allow you to pull the key out in the locked position.

Put the key in the lock, turn it 90 degrees to lock, and the lock refuses to let go of the key.

Anybody else have this issue? Needless to say, the locks are useless "unlocked".
-to my mind alloy triumph tanks rank near titties in their inherent attractiveness -Mutt
TexasMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 07:36 AM   #374
F800 Rob
MotoInsight

Oddometer: 1,052
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasMule
I've shot a PM to F800ROB and am awaiting a response, but I thought I'd put this out to the group.

Trying to lock the bags on TXMedic's bike last night getting ready to ship the bike to Seattle, the locks wouldn't allow you to pull the key out in the locked position.

Put the key in the lock, turn it 90 degrees to lock, and the lock refuses to let go of the key.

Anybody else have this issue? Needless to say, the locks are useless "unlocked".
I've responded to your email - the lock arms can be detached and moved to lock appropriately. Please contact me via HolanUSA.com if you need additional assistance.
Old 08-05-2010, 05:38 AM   #375
OZZY-GS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
Australian Made MTD Panniers

Another option out there are these MTD Aussie Made Panniers.
width is 1000mm for 1 x 36 ltr and 1 x 32 litre.
Very Well made, heaps cheaper than alot of the others and I think they look pretty good too.
A very good option for all us down in Australia.