Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2010, 06:16 AM   #376
OverlandHank
Loves to Farkel

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by htmon
Another option out there are these MTD Aussie Made Panniers.
width is 1000mm for 1 x 36 ltr and 1 x 32 litre.
Very Well made, heaps cheaper than alot of the others and I think they look pretty good too.
A very good option for all us down in Australia.

Those look nice and very affordable if you're in Australia. I wonder if they have a US importer... internet to the rescue!
OverlandHank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:21 AM   #377
-W-
Flying Finn

Oddometer: 193
First of all I'm not that huge hard pannier lover myself since I like to ride lightweight and with hard panniers you have to be really careful also about not hurting your legs while riding off road in "challenging" terrains.

But sometimes you just need that secured (at least in some ways) storage place and this summer my three week holiday trip was that kind of trip with less challenging terrains mostly.

Therefore I needed pair of rugged aluminium pannier which would be reasonable weight and would have good width/space ratio.

I looked for different panniers and racks and didn't found any which I would really like. Most of the pannier setups were ridicilously wide and those which were reasonable wide, had usually much smaller capasity in real life than what manufacturers were claiming at their papers (it seemed to me that they didn't count away all the chamfers and cutouts for exhausts, tank, etc to over all volume). Many of them were also located quite backwards which is less than ideal position when riding alone.

In the end I decided to do my own pannier setup. I ordered two identical aluminium panniers from Begr since they seemed to have quite solid structure (completely welded from 2mm aluminium).

Then I ordered Remus Hexacone Ti exhaust silencer and cut the beemer's exhaust pipe in half from catalysator. After that I reshaped the middle part of the exhaust pipe and also the inletpipe of Remus silencer + attachment parts of it in a way that the whole setup was now much more inwards than the stock pipe and silencer or the stock pipe with Remus (silencer was now more narrower than the beemer's tank).

When this was done I made the whole rack system by myself with thin wall oval tubes to keep the weight down and still have the necessarely ridigy.

In the end I had two identical 40 liter (true volume is a bit less again, but not that much than some of the other manufacturers panniers and that space is very useable since there is no cutouts for exhaust or tank) aluminium panniers and the over all width of the setup was about 925mm (if I would have made cut for the tank they would be 900mm but that would had made lot more troubles to the relocation of exhaust so I didn't doo that since I use these only once in a year or so).

I used those for the summer trip (about 10tkm all together) and they standed the various conditions without any true complains (only complain is that those panniers have aluminium "chamfer" inwards at the "mouth" of the pannier-> if you use inner bags the bags won't slide smoothly in or out because of that chamfer, but then again that chamfer makes panniers much stiffer).

And the big bonus about relocating the exhaust silencer was that now I can have my "custom" soft paniers in really nice "narrow,low&forward" position while the exhaust isn't in away anymore. In my opinion beemer has originally put the silencer in really stupid place.. It should be much inwards already from the factory as also the shape of the tank should be a bit different than straight copy from steet bikes (=impossible to make really truly narrow setup for luggage to this bike)..

http://i638.photobucket.com/albums/u...tysraudat1.jpg

http://i638.photobucket.com/albums/u...tysraudat3.jpg

http://i638.photobucket.com/albums/u...tysraudat2.jpg

http://i638.photobucket.com/albums/u...tysraudat4.jpg

http://i638.photobucket.com/albums/u...kyljellaan.jpg

http://i638.photobucket.com/albums/u...Lumilaukku.jpg

-W- screwed with this post 08-05-2010 at 08:08 AM
-W- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2010, 06:59 AM   #378
Scapadu
Motomaniac

Oddometer: 823
F658GS with GIVI E21N

Did not want to have big side case on that one, so i decided the GIVI E21N would be the best compromise for keeping the bike narrow while loadable.
This is for me 42liters more room, with the added 46liters TopBox this is 88liters, more than i would need for long WE trips and enough for solo camping rides if upgraded with a soft bag on the pillion.

Here are the pics of the bike with the GIVI E21N on its PL690 holder (the topBox holder is mandatory for the PL690 to be installed).

Visit Corsica Corsica Photo
Scapadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 05:19 PM   #379
oclv454
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
So W, where did you get your Begr panniers? I was looking at them several months ago and thought they had a very good box for the money, and several of the design basics I was looking for. At one point, there was going to be a distributor on the West Coast here in the States, but something fell through. Are they still making Panniers? All of the earlier sites that I found them on have had no activity in months. Nice work, and great looking ride. oclv
oclv454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 12:07 AM   #380
-W-
Flying Finn

Oddometer: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by oclv454
So W, where did you get your Begr panniers? I was looking at them several months ago and thought they had a very good box for the money, and several of the design basics I was looking for. At one point, there was going to be a distributor on the West Coast here in the States, but something fell through. Are they still making Panniers? All of the earlier sites that I found them on have had no activity in months. Nice work, and great looking ride. oclv
I got them straight from mister Zdeněk himself: bereza@velkabystrice

http://www.hlinikove-kufry.nolimit.c...ufry-begr.html

It took some time to make them (he was having lot of orders at that time), but everything went well and customer service was really nice too. I think he got so many orders from Europe etc. that he wasn't able to do panniers for US markets in those times. I also think that they couldn't get the over seas delivery prices low enough to make it profitable..

But give him an email and I think he will ansver what is the situation & prize of over seas deliveries today.
-W- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 03:51 PM   #381
The Heathen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
I'm looking for someone who has the touratech zega "special" panniers. The ones that are cut away on the back side in order to make things fit a little closer. Just wondering about some measurements. Thanks
The Heathen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:01 AM   #382
lm002e
Gnarly Adventurer

Question: are the BMW adventure cases the same for the 800GS as for the 1200GS? Is it only the rack that is different? Thanks as always.
2010 KTM 690 Enduro R
2010 KTM 530 XC-W Six Days
lm002e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:32 AM   #383
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,112
No the bags are different also...

The F800GS / F650GS twin use the same stuff, but it is all different than the 1200 gear.
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:36 AM   #384
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,768
Quote:
Originally Posted by lm002e
Question: are the BMW adventure cases the same for the 800GS as for the 1200GS? Is it only the rack that is different? Thanks as always.
The rack system is different between the two bikes. The boxes are the same design except for a few different cut-outs on the inner side of the boxes so that they tuck in a bit more on the F8. But overall, they use the same basic design.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:49 AM   #385
lm002e
Gnarly Adventurer

I thought the cases looked different between the 800 and 1200. So adventure cases from a 1200 would not mount onto the adventure rack on an 800
2010 KTM 690 Enduro R
Old 10-29-2010, 12:38 PM   #386
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Quote:
I thought the cases looked different between the 800 and 1200. So adventure cases from a 1200 would not mount onto the adventure rack on an 800
No, BMW adventure cases for the 800 won't mount on the 1200, and vice verse. However, what I meant is that the overall design between the two is the same: how they look and such and are built and such.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:55 PM   #387
lm002e
Gnarly Adventurer

Ok, that's what I thought you meant. I appreciate the info!
2010 KTM 690 Enduro R
Old 10-29-2010, 12:56 PM   #388
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Quote:
Ok, that's what I thought you meant. I appreciate the info!
Cheers!
Old 10-29-2010, 03:11 PM   #389
raider
Big red dog

Oddometer: 1,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz
No, BMW adventure cases for the 800 won't mount on the 1200, and vice verse. However, what I meant is that the overall design between the two is the same: how they look and such and are built and such.
Somebody, possibly Holan, makes a rack that allows you to mount the 12GS cases on the 800.
Old 10-30-2010, 02:44 PM   #390
oclv454
Gnarly Adventurer

Like many,I did a hybrid system. I have the Holan balanced racks, using a LeoVince carbon exhaust. I went with the Moto-Sport panniers. I bought two of their systems. The Bavaria aluminum boxes, which are 37 liters each. I also got the Yukon II soft bags with the aluminum backs. They are 22 liters each. For long trips in weather I can use the Bavarias, for weekends in the desert I can use the Yukons (also the Yukons will be good for rough areas where I am more apt to drop it). Both are well made. I will post some photos when I get the mounting hardware on the Yukons. The width with the Bavarias is 40 inches.
oclv454 is offline   Reply With Quote