Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2010, 04:24 PM   #391
Gany
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 320
Quote:
Originally Posted by lm002e
I thought the cases looked different between the 800 and 1200. So adventure cases from a 1200 would not mount onto the adventure rack on an 800
Holan made a rack for the 1200 cases before BMW made their own F800GS specific system:
http://holan.pl/en/product/24/29/127...%28Twin%29_GS_

http://holanusa.com/index.php?main_p...roducts_id=426

Great service, excellent quality products from Holan and quite reasonably priced.
Gany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 03:25 PM   #392
Bystricke
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by oclv454 View Post
So W, where did you get your Begr panniers? I was looking at them several months ago and thought they had a very good box for the money, and several of the design basics I was looking for. At one point, there was going to be a distributor on the West Coast here in the States, but something fell through. Are they still making Panniers? All of the earlier sites that I found them on have had no activity in months. Nice work, and great looking ride. oclv
http://www.begr.cz
Bystricke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 03:11 PM   #393
YamWOW!
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 460
Bag for panniers

I got these bags from Duluth Trading Co. for $20 bucks each. They fit the BMW Adventure luggage. A lot cheaper than BMW liner bags. They fit great in both sides.

Check out the WR250R/X forum: CLICK HERE
Check out the Pacific NW DualSport Forum: CLICK HERE
KTM 530 EXC-R
BMW F800GS
YamWOW! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 08:13 AM   #394
Maximum Hastings
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
anyone know what choice in South Africa?

Hi,

Thrown in my job ( adventure beckons and my boss is an arse) and I am riding from Cape Town to Shanghai in May and still faffing about on which bikes to ride, bike set up, carnes, visas, and which brand of toothbrush to bring etc etc. (just joking I'm English ...don't need a toothbrush). Panniers though are essential for beer supply in the desert.

I have already crossed Africa on a KTM 990 Adv (my all time favourite bike out of 40 odd in my life), Europe on British spec Suzuki Hayabusa and SE Asia on Aprilia Pegaso... but this trip I am looking at two bikes...either the Yamaha XT660Z Tenere or BMW F800GS. Both got strengths and weaknesses... cant make up my minds.

However, Panniers?? The metal mules (reviewed) seem top quality kit so the ADV posts very useful indeed. Not sure if they can be sourced in South Africa... Yamaha do sell some panniers which I haven't seen in the 'flesh' (or plastic and aluminium to be precise) and not sure they're up for the trip although an English guy just rode the entire coast line of Africa on an XT with these yamaha bits (30 odd countries) and they seemed to do the job and stop bullets in north Kenya.. !!

Anyone any idea what panniers can be sourced in South Africa other than touratech which are ridiculously expensive. Metal Mules? Can they be shipped to SA from overseas?
Attached Images

Maximum Hastings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 10:11 AM   #395
KnuckC
F8er

Oddometer: 199
Maximum Hastings,

Why are you not considering the 990 Adventure for your trip?
KnuckC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 10:22 AM   #396
davidpetersen
BestRest Adventurer

Oddometer: 788
Yes, Metal Mules can be shipped to SA. Contact Paul at Metal Mule. He may have a distributor in SA. info@metalmule.com
F800GS
R12GS Standard
Feet of clay

http://www.bestrestproducts.com
davidpetersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 04:27 PM   #397
lockyv7
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,018
Have a look at these guys site, i think they have an agent in S.A.
www.holan.pl

Cheers Locky.
lockyv7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 05:51 AM   #398
FrozenViking
Thawing

Oddometer: 83
Like so many other inmates, I'm looking for a good set of panniers for my F8GS. This thread has been very interesting, because it has highlighted many of the sets I'm looking at.

Besides the fact that I personally don't think the Jesse's are the "coolest" looking panniers, they give you the narrowest beam and the largest capacity per inch in width, so they seem like the ideal pannier. I unfortunately get killed on shipping and VAT in Norway on anything produced outside of Europe, so I'm still searching and one thing has been bugging me.

I understand the theoretical side of why you want to keep your "luggage" narrow , with the weight as low as possible, but I'm curious if the 5"- 6" in difference between the different brands of panniers makes a huge difference to the actual performance of the bike. I'd be very curious to hear what other inmates think.
FrozenViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 06:32 AM   #399
stephen.stallebrass
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
F800GS Zega Pro Black

My F800GS with Touratech's 38L Zega Pro + Black Cases, with Integral Locks, on balanced Metal Mule frame using the Touratech 18mm fitting kits. I have also have Touratech's Adaptor Plates on the back Zega Pro cases, which hold Touratech's Double Bottle Carrier (I use it for my Optimus fuel bottle and my 1L Nalgene water bottle & GSI cup) and the 2L Jerrycan Holder. On the top of each case I have strapped a Kriega US-10 bag and inside each case the Touratech Lid Bag, hold the spare HD tubes and compressor inside one and the Netbook, charges and adaptors in the other. Installed on the right case I have the John Dere Tool Tube, which carries my tyre irons, puncture kit including a mini hand pump and a cyalume. Tools are up front in the Touratech Tool Box mounted to the BMW enduro bash plate.

Old 05-09-2011, 08:08 AM   #400
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,303
I can only speak about owning the Jesse system and we feel no drag on the bike from the luggage...I would imagine the wider you go the more drag one would feel...also, the larger you go..the more weight you are most likely gonna add to the bike. For us...less is more and having narrow bags was what we were aiming for so we did not have to worry to much about should riding and gas stations. Also, having less litres does not mean you can't bring all your gear...just means you have a be a strategic packer...

having said all this we also really like the Touratech Zega Pro system too!
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 04:07 AM   #401
Heos racer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
RMS Boxes, the best You can get!
Heos racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:18 PM   #402
huckleberry
BACK ROAD BOMBER

Oddometer: 1,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenViking View Post
Like so many other inmates, I'm looking for a good set of panniers for my F8GS. This thread has been very interesting, because it has highlighted many of the sets I'm looking at.

Besides the fact that I personally don't think the Jesse's are the "coolest" looking panniers, they give you the narrowest beam and the largest capacity per inch in width, so they seem like the ideal pannier. I unfortunately get killed on shipping and VAT in Norway on anything produced outside of Europe, so I'm still searching and one thing has been bugging me.

I understand the theoretical side of why you want to keep your "luggage" narrow , with the weight as low as possible, but I'm curious if the 5"- 6" in difference between the different brands of panniers makes a huge difference to the actual performance of the bike. I'd be very curious to hear what other inmates think.
i have jesse's and cant speak for others but my jasse's are as wide as my bars and you must remember this not to hit anything with the bags! I know i've hit a few things so if you are like me wider is worse!
Another advantage of the jesse's is the shape and the mounts, it allows the bag to slide back in a fall and the shape doesn't dig in as readily so as to do less damage.
Beta Techno
huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 03:07 PM   #403
Captain Beardylocks
travelling beardo

Oddometer: 7,455
Hey all!

I'm digging back through the various pannier/exhaust threads, but does anyone know offhand which aftermarket pipes work with the holan balanced pannier racks? I know the Leo Vince Evo II worked, but they've discontinued it and the LV One is a little bit wider... I think about 5mm total, not much. Will that be enough to interfere with the racks? are there other options out there?

Any info would be great, in the mean time, I'll keep digging. Thanks!

EDIT: Found the thread for this very subject. However, if there are any new systems that people like please let me know.

Captain Beardylocks screwed with this post 06-07-2011 at 03:18 PM
Captain Beardylocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 10:08 AM   #404
Cambi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen.stallebrass View Post
Installed on the right case I have the John Dere Tool Tube, which carries my tyre irons, puncture kit including a mini hand pump and a cyalume.
Hi Stephen - Did you bolted the tube directly to the case?
Could I see a picture of the installation?
I am in a similar situation but might go for a frame installation instead of the case so I am curious to see how it worked out for you.
Thanks.

PM sent
Cambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 10:44 AM   #405
stephen.stallebrass
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 252
Yeah, I bolted directly to the case with wing nuts, washers and rubber O-rings. I would have preferred to have secured it to the frame but it seemed like a lot of messing about and the frames are quite snug against the bike so there's not much room. Nevertheless, I can easily get the pannier on and off without removing the tool tube.