Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2013, 06:05 PM   #526
B_C_Ries
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,992
I purchased some Happy Trails Panniers but they weren't able to make them in time for my Baja trip. Though they did send me the rack. I ended up purchasing some MCM Electronics waterproof equipment cases (Basically Chinese Pelican Knockoffs) and mounting them with the Happy Trails mounts.
I am really happy with this setup. They seem to be waterproof , as I need to use a lot of force to open them after going downhill several Thousand feet if I don't open the vacuum vents. I also dumped my bike with them on and misjudged clearance a few times there was no damage.
B_C_Ries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 08:37 PM   #527
RedHawk47 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 394
Jessie abuse

This is what my Jessies looked like after crashing in gravel on the Dalton Hwy at 40 mph. The bike went down on the right side; the cross bar in back torqued the left bag.

The bags and lids were twisted. The top rims of the bags were parallelograms instead of rectangles, measuring two inches more in the long diagonal than the short.
My buddy and I straighten the bags the best we could and I still use them. The seals are a bit torn and have to be repositioned frequently. The bags do not leak.
OP
09 BMW F800GS
99 KLR 650 A13
RedHawk47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 10:29 PM   #528
Pangia
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
Soft Bags

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearforce1 View Post
Hi there,

A lot of people say hard panniers cause more damage to the hard boxes, the pannier frames, the bike frame and the rider than soft panniers. People seem to suggest that coming off with Jesse or pelicans that this is not so much of an issue.

Any advice or recommendations would be welcome.

thanks heaps
bearforce1
I am sure this has been discussed ad nauseum, but I will put in my 2:

I purchased soft bags by Kriega because I had read several posts on ADVrider about injuries happening to the rider from hard cases. Last month I was riding with a rider who is very experienced and much, much, much more experienced and accomplished than me. The conditions were a little wet in the New Mexico desert and we hit a short 200 meter section of very sticky clay. Long story short, I watched this rider (in slow motion / 12 mph) go down and as he did, his boot caught under the metal boxes with much of the weight of the bike on it and I witnessed his knee torque something quite ugly.

Metal boxes can lock and are probably the best thing for a world tour....but if you can, you might want to consider soft bags. I have been down on mine several times and have not pinned my boot. Both Kriega and Wolfman make them. You can see my Kriega's on my ride report below.

Cheers - Pangia

2013 F800GS / Santa Fe to Cinnamon Pass Ride Report

Pangia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 01:56 AM   #529
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,300
I think bending the panniers depends on how they fall. My OEM Aluminium panniers fell off at 110kmh and wasn't even bend (just scratched all over).
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 08:35 PM   #530
Snowy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,633

Got the cases from a friend for free. They were used to carry brake test instruments.

Made some simple brackets up to mount from my Wolfman soft luggage frames.

On and off by opening closing a padlock.

It's landed on it's side a few times in rock and crap, there's a big rubber scuff mark on the other pannier from when my son "hip checked" a Harley in traffic. (Made the guy think twice about trying to play boy racer and force an inside line he didn't have the skills to pull off. The dude wouldn't pull over for a punch on. Just as well, my boy is an elites boxer and kick boxer).

I completely submerged the bike on one weekend trip and the only dry stuff was the stuff in the boxes.

These are only small, and intended purely for short weekend trips where we stay in a motel and go and ride some forest tracks.

In this pic, I had enough gear with me for 9 days away for the wife and I.

I priced up some larger boxes for longer trips. It's easy to make the required brackets. Plus I still have the soft panniers I bought a couple of years back. For $200 I can set it up. I like them.

These ones will fit almost anything I need...I use it to go to the shops for my weekly shopping trips. I surprised some guys in the shops carpark when they reckoned I'd never get all my shopping into the tankbag and 2 panniers. Then I put 2 cartons of beer on the rear rack and strapped it all on.

Easy.

The mounting system was constructed using 3 beers and some old angle iron I had laying around.

Snowy screwed with this post 11-21-2013 at 08:41 PM
Snowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 12:54 PM   #531
forsythadv
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
GIVI Detachable Luggage Rack

Does any one have a picture of these racks on a '12 F800 GS? If so could you post a picture of both sides without the luggage along with a photo of the support on the backside of the tag plate. Would appreciate it!
forsythadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:28 AM   #532
redxblack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
passing along a tip - I found a few places are selling WWII replica 20mm ammo cans for $25 each. These are galvanized and weigh about 13lbs empty each. I grabbed a set, but they won't arrive at my home until Friday.

I bought mine from airsplat.com because the shipping was cheaper, but here's the first listing I saw when shopping.

I'll post a review once I get em racked up and installed.

http://www.majorsurplus.com/WWII-Sty...an-P16834.aspx
Old 03-06-2014, 08:53 AM   #533
koryong
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
I'm not sure if this has been discussed before, but has anyone tried any mods to mount the BMW sport panniers onto the F800GS ? These are the grey plastic ones that fit the 800S & 800ST but sadly not the GS, which is a pity as IMHO, they look way better than all the other boxy panniers.

I think the mounting rails are the same but the exhaust of the GS sits too high up so the left pannier will not sit onto the lower rail.
koryong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 01:12 AM   #534
Camel ADV
aka Oso Blanco

Oddometer: 1,348
Hepco Becker cases

Hey guys, I'm looking for some pics of the rear latch area on the Hepco Becker cases where it secures to the rack. The 3 HB case pics in the thread are dead links.

Thanks.

Proud member of Team Canada for the 2014 BMW GS Trophy

AT-BZ-CA-CN-CO-CR-CZ-CH-FR-DE-GB-GT-HN-IE-JP-KZ-KR-LI-LU-MX-NL-NI-PL-RU-SV-UA-US
Camel ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:42 AM   #535
sarathmenon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camel ADV View Post
Hey guys, I'm looking for some pics of the rear latch area on the Hepco Becker cases where it secures to the rack. The 3 HB case pics in the thread are dead links.

Thanks.
Hmm, I think I know why you are asking for it. Can I interest you with shots of the SW Motech panniers instead? I promise I can take as many as you want
sarathmenon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 09:06 AM   #536
B_C_Ries
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,992
I'm using Happy Trails Racks with MCM Electronics Cases. They are working out real well for me.
B_C_Ries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 03:38 AM   #537
Superduner
n00b

Oddometer: 4
800gsa

Time to stop lurking, I guess!

I've had a fairly serious look through most of the posts here and don't see many (if any) options for side boxes for a 2014 800GSA.

I'd really like a couple of Pelican Box type as in Caribou Cases, but nobody seems to do them (yet).

What's out there?
Superduner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 07:35 AM   #538
beltrack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Pannier thoughts on F800GSA

You need to trot down to the Beemer dealer and measure the width of the stock used in making their racks. I have Happy Trails racks on my Suzuki DR200 and some cheap Seahorse--Pelican wannabes--cases sourced from Amazon. I used Happy Trails mounting pucks or "Mount Kit" as they call it that is used for mounting the Pelican style case of your choice.

http://www.happy-trail.com/Happy-Tra...it-Point1.aspx

My Happy Trails rack uses square tubing that is 3/4". Yours may be close to that although the measurement will be metric. If it's close, they'll probably work.

Better yet, call Happy-Trails and tell them what you want to do. I see that they list the F800GSA and show photos of same w/their aluminum cases. If you told them you wanted Pelican style, they may have a solution for you.

John in Maine

beltrack screwed with this post 09-15-2014 at 09:23 AM
beltrack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 07:44 AM   #539
beltrack
Adventurer

F800gsa

Another thought--call Roger at Caribou Cases and perhaps he'll have a solution. He shows top cases for the GSA. He may be working on a side case solution for that bike.

John in Maine
Old 09-15-2014, 07:54 AM   #540
beltrack
Adventurer

Pannier widths

Here is my 2011 V-Strom with my just installed Caribou 40L cases. It measures 38" wide--1" narrower than the same cases on my 2012 F650GS (and 10" narrower than the width of the new V-Strom Adventure which comes w/factory bags. Yes! They are 46").

Both of my bikes are equipped with Hepco-Becker racks. On the V-Strom, relocation of the turn signals was needed.

John in Maine
Attached Images

beltrack screwed with this post 09-15-2014 at 09:16 AM