Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2009, 11:21 AM   #61
Bucko
In a parallel world

Oddometer: 817
Caribou rack attachment time

Hey MNB,

How long does it take to install/remove the Caribou rack system from your GS? I'm intrigued by the quick release SW Motech system, but if the Caribou's have a stronger rack it might be worth a few minutes to put them on. I assume the bags attach/detach rapdily, no?

Thanks.
Bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 12:44 PM   #62
M N B
would rather be riding

Oddometer: 1,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucko
Hey MNB,

How long does it take to install/remove the Caribou rack system from your GS? I'm intrigued by the quick release SW Motech system, but if the Caribou's have a stronger rack it might be worth a few minutes to put them on. I assume the bags attach/detach rapdily, no?

Thanks.

It would be a bit of a pain to remove the rack. It's doable, but it's really designed to be installed and left on the bike.

You could probably leave it in one piece and just unbolt it, but you'd need to replace some of the stock hardware and moving the hardware would probably cause wear on the silicon sealing that you put in some of the joints during assembly (to prevent water getting inside and rusting things.

I spent about 3 hours putting it on originally, but I took breaks and such. If you wanted to remove and reinstall, you could do it in maybe ... 30 minutes, perhaps less once you got used to it.

I plan on just leaving the rack on for the rare cases where I'm riding without the panniers (eg: leave the bags at camp and go out riding).
2003 Husqvarna TE610e
1997 BMW K1100LT Special Edition
M N B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 01:19 PM   #63
bigdog99
CJ's bitch

Oddometer: 273
Jesses

I'll probably start a bunch of new arguments here, but there is more to consider than lane splitting as reasons to keep the bags close. I should probably go pull out my old Halliday and Resnick physics textbook, but the polar moment of hanging all that weight high and wide is probably the biggest influence on handling and the best reason for keeping the load tight. Think wire walkers with their long balance poles. Also, if you are truly "adventure riding", meaning loaded down over many miles of secondary or dirt roads, the further the load is placed from the centerline of the mounts means more cantilevered force on the mounting system. Unless adventure touring includes finding a welder every few days to fix the mount system, the closer the load is kept to the mount system or bike centerline, the more consistently reliable it will be.

After I wore out the original cases on my 89 R100GS, I bough a set of Givis off a crashed bike. Those lasted about a week, the handling difference between the Givis and stock bags was significant. I bought one of Jesse's first sets, and they were actually narrower than stock with about twice the load capacity. I had to re-weld the stock BMW brackets several times, but I never once had to reweld the Jesses. Al sent me a modified brace once no charge, but that was after my son had crashed the bike on the left bag (which did not keep the bag from functioning until we got home).

BTW, the beauty of the Jesses, in terms of in/liter, is that it is very possible to travel with everything inside the bags, tent, sleeping bags, etc. I love the Jesses in say Mexico, because I can leave the bike most any where without worrying about what's disappearing while I'm gone. Yea, I don't ride with GPS, XM or anything else either. Just my personal style, so we don't need a new thread on how dumb I am, but my idea of traveling doesn't include having to stay within sight distance of my bike or wear a backpack full of gear everywhere I go. The 90L Jesses give you the most options with all the right considerations.
bigdog99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 06:14 PM   #64
DiabloBlanco
Intl' Hops Inspector

Oddometer: 301
Bluhduh Where is perfection? (whining rant coming)

As someone who has spent a few months agonizing over cases...

Does anyone have pics of Jesse's installed?
In every objective way I look at it Jesse's are winners. Price, size, width (plus if you add the optional rack it only becomes a stronger objective win). Subjectively though, from looking at Jesse's website of their system installed, those cases just don't visually "fit" with the bike at all. The shape, the color matching. I guess maybe I'm just being a style-wh0re, but I feel like I should be entitled to having good quality functional gear that compliments the bike too.

The BMW and Trax look effin great and functional and the prices are decent, 900-1500 but even my soon to be step mother's arse isn't so wide! If motorcycles had a reverse gear there should be a little horn beeping when you back up with those... (especially in the case of the Trax, but that's BMWs fault for the fat exhaust can and so even if you got a skinnier can, most racks for the 800/650 are built to accomodate the can not solving the problem)
(on a note, the max I want to spend is 1500 ish).

Don't like to side loading/opening plastic varios/pelis, etc. I'll take aluminum.

And that 1500 brings me to MetalMule. Love 'em. The cases, especially the black and silvers, are awesome. Good frames, not so wide, good capacity... at British prices they're not so bad considering you get a new slimmer exhaust to boot (2 grand without the 15% VAT that the locals pay) but since you HAVE to go through BestRest as MM won't directly sell to US residents, it is made more difficult in that they cost $2600+ to purchase them stateside. Yeah, I'm whining right now... welcome, Jordan, to the world of farkling.

So I will stop ranting as soon as someone posts pictures of Jesses mounted and I decide that after a good black powdercoating I might just like them..
US (MN, WI, IA, KS, OK, MO, TX), Mexico, Belize, Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama, Colombia, Venezuela. 11 down, 184 to go.

DiabloBlanco screwed with this post 01-22-2009 at 06:02 PM
DiabloBlanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 07:01 PM   #65
earthroamer
Stuck in Pindadesh

Oddometer: 2,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloBlanco
Does anyone have pics of Jesse's installed?

So I will stop ranting as soon as someone posts pictures of Jesses mounted and I decide that after a good black powdercoating I might just like them..
Take a look over here. Pictures of grey and charcoal Jesses mounted.
earthroamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 08:29 AM   #66
DiabloBlanco
Intl' Hops Inspector

Oddometer: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthroamer
Take a look over here. Pictures of grey and charcoal Jesses mounted.
A shame I was too lazy to find that myself (I wish there was a better way of organizing threads, like within a named file system).

Those look FAR better than the Jesse webpage shows them. They're back on top of my list, so if BestRest doesn't write me back in 48 hours with an amazing price for MM's, then Jesse's will be on order.

Thank you!
US (MN, WI, IA, KS, OK, MO, TX), Mexico, Belize, Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama, Colombia, Venezuela. 11 down, 184 to go.
DiabloBlanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 02:54 PM   #67
Dert Gerl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucko
Hey MNB,

Thanks.
I have a set of the quick release SW Motechs in transit. I cut off my passenger pegs and they're the only set I found that mounts to the subframe rather than the passenger peg tubes. When I read that they were quick release the decision was made. That's cool! I'm curious how durable the quick release system will be.

Any feedback from someone who already has a set?
Old 01-15-2009, 03:14 PM   #68
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dert Gerl
I'm curious how durable the quick release system will be. Any feedback from someone who already has a set?
I've had the SW-Motech racks on my F800GS for almost two months and about 1500 miles now, and have taken them off about 6 or 8 times. No problems with the durability of the quick release mechanism. But I suspect that they won't hold up in a crash as well as the more solidly bolted on racks will. Of course, I'm only guessing. I bet I'll find out for sure eventually, though.

Here's some close up pix of them on and off the bike.

David

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 04:33 PM   #69
Dert Gerl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodWorks
I've had the SW-Motech racks on my F800GS for almost two months and about 1500 miles now, and have taken them off about 6 or 8 times. No problems with the durability of the quick release mechanism. But I suspect that they won't hold up in a crash as well as the more solidly bolted on racks will. Of course, I'm only guessing. I bet I'll find out for sure eventually, though.

David
Thanks for the feedback! My bikes tend to need to "rest" pretty regularly, but I'm just using them to mount soft bags so we'll see how that goes ...
Old 01-15-2009, 06:20 PM   #70
M N B
would rather be riding

Oddometer: 1,122
Quote:
I was thinking the same thing, which is why I decided to go with the Caribou mount. I won't ride all that often without the bags mounted and when I do, it'll be offroad, so the extra crash cage will come in handy.

I certainly see the value and desire of having it removable for those with other priorities, though.
2003 Husqvarna TE610e
1997 BMW K1100LT Special Edition
M N B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 09:11 PM   #71
WoodWorks
House Ape

Quote:
Originally Posted by M N B
I was thinking the same thing, which is why I decided to go with the Caribou mount. I won't ride all that often without the bags mounted and when I do, it'll be offroad, so the extra crash cage will come in handy.
Tell you what, M N B, I ride down there this spring (once the snow melts), we'll find some gnarly, muddy single track, crash a few times, and the one with the most screwed up racks buys the beer!

David

--Curly
Old 01-16-2009, 08:55 AM   #72
]I)Money
D NOT I

Oddometer: 3,598
Quote:

David
When my front brake locked, and threw me down, I had my SW mounts on, but no bags mounted yet. Scraped a lot of paint off of the left mount, but it didn't bend at all, and in fact saved my akro from certain doom.

"Another road remains, but it provides no more. It can only take us away"
]I)Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 09:14 AM   #73
WoodWorks
House Ape

Quote:
Originally Posted by ]I)Money
When my front brake locked, and threw me down, I had my SW mounts on, but no bags mounted yet. Scraped a lot of paint off of the left mount, but it didn't bend at all, and in fact saved my akro from certain doom.
That (other than the fact you went down) is good to hear, Money. Thanks for testing them.

David

--Curly
Old 01-16-2009, 07:21 PM   #74
HighTechCoonass
Living the Dream....

Oddometer: 2,461
my TT rack is very easy to remove...it can be removed in one piece.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:28 PM   #75
HighTechCoonass
Living the Dream....

Oddometer: 2,461
This rig is 41.5" wide...

see this thread also...
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=387330

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighTechCoonass
I only run with boxes a few time a year so size was not a deal breaker...I like the look of the SW set but I did not like the rack. I think Touratech rack it the best made....Metal Mule I say is equal but too price'ie