User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2009, 06:19 PM   #76
Travlr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
top load Pelicans

Someone on here asked about top load plastic cases. Here is what Pelican offers. Maybe not the largest capacity, but they are top load. There is a larger set on their site as well but they have built in dolley/handle.

http://www.pelican.com/cases_detail.php?Case=1430

I'm expecting my 10" Jesse's in the next couple of days will post pics once installed.
Travlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 08:17 PM   #77
Dert Gerl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travlr
Someone on here asked about top load plastic cases. Here is what Pelican offers. Maybe not the largest capacity, but they are top load. There is a larger set on their site as well but they have built in dolley/handle.

http://www.pelican.com/cases_detail.php?Case=1430

I'm expecting my 10" Jesse's in the next couple of days will post pics once installed.
FYI - the 1440's which are the larger capacity ones you mention ... the built in dolley/handle and all the mounts for them unbolt leaving a reasonably clean unit. I have a set of the 1430's and 1440's that I'm going to try out down the road with my racks. I wish there were a size in between though, because the 1430's are a bit small and the 1440's are a bit big.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:07 PM   #78
MonsterJ
I have motopsychosis

Oddometer: 262
I just finished mounting up a set of 1440s to Happy Trails racks. I'm pretty happy with the results but they are a bit portly. The set up ended up being 44.5in wide. I still have my wife's bike to do (with the HT racks and 1440s) but I might fab up different mounts to make it a wee bit narrower. I think I can get it down 2in or so.

Anyone else care to post up how wide their set up is?

Temple, TX -> Cape May, NJ -> Mobile, AL -> ECity, NC -> Kodiak, AK -> Mobile, AL -> Sacto, CA -> Cape Cod, MA -> New London, CT -> San Francisco, CA -> Juneau, AK (summer of '13) -> where to next?
MonsterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 11:10 AM   #79
onarock
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Hey Monster show us your set up.
Pics please
onarock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 05:52 PM   #80
Dert Gerl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lostinfog
Hey Monster show us your set up.
Pics please
Yep, I'd like to see pics too!!
Old 01-19-2009, 07:25 AM   #81
MonsterJ
I have motopsychosis

I'm stuck at work for the next 24hrs.... I'll post them up hopefully on Tuesday!

Temple, TX -> Cape May, NJ -> Mobile, AL -> ECity, NC -> Kodiak, AK -> Mobile, AL -> Sacto, CA -> Cape Cod, MA -> New London, CT -> San Francisco, CA -> Juneau, AK (summer of '13) -> where to next?
Old 01-20-2009, 05:25 PM   #82
MonsterJ
I have motopsychosis

Pelican 1440s on Happy Trails racks for F800GS

Ok.. I can't seem to get my photos up so I'll just post a link to my web album. Maybe someone can help me out...

http://picasaweb.google.com/James.D.Nunez/BMW#

I'm reasonably happy with the end results. I'm a little irked that I didn't get pefectly straight. It's really barely noticable but I can see even if no one else can. They did end up a portly 44.5" wide and I'm going to try and make 'em a little bit narrower on the wife's bike.

When we picked up the two bikes I knew it was going to be pretty expensive getting them both outfitted seeing as I would have to buy 2 of everything. I figured I could save some cash by making some stuff myself. I know I wanted top loaders and the 1440s fit the bill. They can be had for about ~$115/ea shipped from Case Club, IIRC. The Happy Trails racks were $255 and thier universal mounts were $50. I think I spent about $100 with McMaster-Carr for various bits of hardware and aluminum for both bikes. I could have easily cut that in half if didn't order extra stuff for 'just in case' situations. So I'm into this for about $585 per bike.

I searched this forum and several others to find how people were mounting 1440s. I was a bit surprised to how many people were grinding away massive amounts of the plasic ribs to make a flush surface to mount to. I didn't really think this was the best approach.... those ribs are there for a reason. I ran across this post ( http://www.stromtrooper.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=21429 ) over at Stromtrooper and was inspired by stevet's design. (thanks, steve!) I went with 1"x1.5" aluminum bar stock and mounted it horizonally, routing out small amounts of plastic to allow for a flush mounting surface. From the back side of each bar I drilled and counter sunk hardward to perminately affix the HT universal mounts. I drilled holes through the box and drilled and tapped matching holes in the bars. The lower bar is made to be perminately mounted. The top bar is loosened from the Pelican case by two knobs in side the case. If you loosen them to the last few threads there's enough play to slide them off of the rack so now I have tool-less removal!

I'm not completely done with this set, yet. I want to make a doubler on the inside of the box to help add a little rigidity. The other thing I want to do is machine some material off of the aluminum bar stock to make them lighter. Right now it's a bit of an overkill. Lastly, I'm going to weld the HT mounts to the bar stock so I don't have to risk those lugs coming loose.

So.... whatdya think?

Old 01-20-2009, 05:52 PM   #83
DiabloBlanco
Intl' Hops Inspector

Oddometer: 301
Anyone still twisting their brains around panniers should def check out the Jesse's, just ordered mine and they're doing them in black for me as a special request. Things look sharp, able to slide forward and back to adjust weight distribution if riding solo or two-up, and at 37" and 90L have the lowest inches wide to liters to fill ratio of any case... Hell they're skinnier than the MM with the special exhaust and hold more AND are over a grand cheaper... just my two cents.
US (MN, WI, IA, KS, OK, MO, TX), Mexico, Belize, Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama, Colombia, Venezuela. 11 down, 184 to go.
DiabloBlanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 06:34 PM   #84
johngil
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterJ
Ok.. I can't seem to get my photos up so I'll just post a link to my web album. Maybe someone can help me out...

http://picasaweb.google.com/James.D.Nunez/BMW#

I'm reasonably happy with the end results. I'm a little irked that I didn't get pefectly straight. It's really barely noticable but I can see even if no one else can. They did end up a portly 44.5" wide and I'm going to try and make 'em a little bit narrower on the wife's bike.

When we picked up the two bikes I knew it was going to be pretty expensive getting them both outfitted seeing as I would have to buy 2 of everything. I figured I could save some cash by making some stuff myself. I know I wanted top loaders and the 1440s fit the bill. They can be had for about ~$115/ea shipped from Case Club, IIRC. The Happy Trails racks were $255 and thier universal mounts were $50. I think I spent about $100 with McMaster-Carr for various bits of hardware and aluminum for both bikes. I could have easily cut that in half if didn't order extra stuff for 'just in case' situations. So I'm into this for about $585 per bike.

I searched this forum and several others to find how people were mounting 1440s. I was a bit surprised to how many people were grinding away massive amounts of the plasic ribs to make a flush surface to mount to. I didn't really think this was the best approach.... those ribs are there for a reason. I ran across this post ( http://www.stromtrooper.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=21429 ) over at Stromtrooper and was inspired by stevet's design. (thanks, steve!) I went with 1"x1.5" aluminum bar stock and mounted it horizonally, routing out small amounts of plastic to allow for a flush mounting surface. From the back side of each bar I drilled and counter sunk hardward to perminately affix the HT universal mounts. I drilled holes through the box and drilled and tapped matching holes in the bars. The lower bar is made to be perminately mounted. The top bar is loosened from the Pelican case by two knobs in side the case. If you loosen them to the last few threads there's enough play to slide them off of the rack so now I have tool-less removal!

I'm not completely done with this set, yet. I want to make a doubler on the inside of the box to help add a little rigidity. The other thing I want to do is machine some material off of the aluminum bar stock to make them lighter. Right now it's a bit of an overkill. Lastly, I'm going to weld the HT mounts to the bar stock so I don't have to risk those lugs coming loose.

So.... whatdya think?
Just how wide is that set up?
I can barely split lanes @ 36". That looks huge!
johngil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 03:10 PM   #85
MonsterJ
I have motopsychosis

44.5". You even quoted it...

I know they're a little wide but I don't need to carry around that much crap every day. I've got a tail bag for everyday use. They'll mostly be used for campin' and I don't anticipate doing any lane splitting on fire roads.

Old 01-24-2009, 09:46 AM   #86
Frostbit
Is it cold in here?

Oddometer: 1,038
Quote:
44.5". You even quoted it...

I know they're a little wide but I don't need to carry around that much crap every day. I've got a tail bag for everyday use. They'll mostly be used for campin' and I don't anticipate doing any lane splitting on fire roads.

I just finished installing a set of Jesse bag and it's post #59 on this link.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...=414027&page=4

The width ended up being 35" and I augment the storage capacity with tank panniers and between the two I can ride/camp two up for months. The down side is that I have far less money left in my pocket then you.

I also went the extra mile and sprung for the laptop rack.

Check out WWW.RideDualSport.com forum.
Frostbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 03:36 PM   #87
MonsterJ
I have motopsychosis

Great setup, Frostbit! I'm really trying to save money where I can. We're planning a 45 day trip this summer from MA to AK and up the Dalton and I still have a fair amount of outfitting to do. I still need to purchase two comm systems, two skidplates, two sets of handguards, two sets of crash bars, and two top plates! $$$ (sigh)

Old 01-24-2009, 04:53 PM   #88
Bucko
In a parallel world

Oddometer: 808
Quote:
Great setup, Frostbit! I'm really trying to save money where I can. We're planning a 45 day trip this summer from MA to AK and up the Dalton and I still have a fair amount of outfitting to do. I still need to purchase two comm systems, two skidplates, two sets of handguards, two sets of crash bars, and two top plates! $$$ (sigh)
If you order all of it from one place, they might cut you a deal. Or see if they have any returned/slighty used gear. Never hurts to ask!
Bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 09:01 PM   #89
JemezMtns
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
what size jesses?

Hey Frostbit....
What size jesses are those? 8" or 10"?

Also, what tank panniers do you use?

I got my f800gs in december, also yellow, and I like the way the jesses look.
Old 01-24-2009, 10:13 PM   #90
Frostbit
Is it cold in here?

Oddometer: 1,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by JemezMtns
Hey Frostbit....
What size jesses are those? 8" or 10"?

Also, what tank panniers do you use?

I got my f800gs in december, also yellow, and I like the way the jesses look.
They are the 8" Jesse Safari. I think that the tank panniers are the 28 liter bags by Sun Mountain Touring Company out of Salt Lake City.

(corrected from my late night posting of wrong info.)

Check out WWW.RideDualSport.com forum.

Frostbit screwed with this post 01-25-2009 at 02:20 PM
Frostbit is offline   Reply With Quote