Alaska coming

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by friar mike, Dec 7, 2008.

1. friar mike

friar mike IronButtGruver

Oddometer:
    Ok Boys Friar Mike is coming to your neck of the woods!:eek1 :1drink It is winter here at The Abbey ( my motorcycle shop) and its time to get the hell out of the frozzen north.:vardy :vardy I will be hanging out with hondav2 and bumming around for the month of Feb and see what its like where is not winter this time of year.:clap :freaky heres the view out my door as I type.[​IMG]
  2. clintnz

clintnz Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer:
    Hi Mate, I'm sure Toddy will show you a good time :1drink & we can gaurantee some warmer weather than that Are you coming to the North Is or staying South? We will probably be heading down deep south way late Feb & a beer with Toddy will be on the agenda so I might see ya then.

Cheers
    Clint
  3. friar mike

Oddometer:
    I will be wondering around both north and south Is.
  4. KiwiKev

KiwiKev Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Shit that looks cold
    do you accually ride in that
    be carefull whem wandering the north and south island
    there is a bit of creek between the 2.
  5. friar mike

Oddometer:
    Yes there are those who ride in that I don't anymore I don't heal as fast as used to. as for the creek I have gear for that but I think the bike won't swim real well.:lol3
  6. hondav2

hondav2 Kiwi Fukengruver

Oddometer:
    Hay Clint hows tricks up your way, R u guys coming down for the Horizons Unlimited and the weekend im organising down here. Cheers Toddy
  7. clintnz

clintnz Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer:
    Hi Toddy, she's all good up here, we've already got quite a few rides planned over summer :D

We're just firming up the 09 plans now but it looks like we will be doing a week down south, & that would definitely be planned for the last week in Feb to take in the HU mtg & the Adv rally. We might just do the Fri night so we can get on the way back north & back to work the next week, but we could probably get there early to give you a hand setting up if you like.

Hey Mike, keep us posted on your travels, if you're up around Rotorua we might be able to meet up for a beer there, & there's probably going to be a ride with the Kiwibiker crew on 14/15 Feb.

Cheers
    Clint
  8. hondav2

hondav2 Kiwi Fukengruver

Oddometer:
    Hay Frier , hows tricks Cob, looking forward to you gettin your ars down under, hopefully it might inspire the fellow Fukengruvers of the Great White North to get there butts down under as well. The first weekend we will go to the Vincint County Rally, we will ride from Te Anau to , Waikaia, Old Switzers Rd , Roxburgh, Lake Onslow, Old Dunstan Trail to Alexndra . Most of it is gravel road. The return will be Nevis Rd or Steam Ferry to Walter Peak and back road via Mavora Lakes, 3rd weekend of Feb is HU meeting at Christurch if yr interested and last weekend of month is ADV Rally near here. I hav booked u a bed in the Penthouse. Make sure u bring plenty of Gout pills . Tomorrow I hav the 3 Ducs in the Xmas prade and Sunday we have our 1st toy run around the mountain. Cheers Toddy
  9. friar mike

Oddometer:
    Hi Squier
    Iam getting ready its cold around here and already wanting to get the hell out I have lived here to long and don't like the 5 plus months of winter anymore. these places you are talking about is one of them where you loaded up the bike on that old boat and cross the lake? The photos you posted of you and Dicken going across 2 years ago look cool.
    Mike
  10. hondav2

hondav2 Kiwi Fukengruver

Oddometer:
    Yip thats the one Cob, hope the lakes high enough otherwise you cant get bikes on or off at Queenstown , if we cant we will go for the boat ride, The Earnslaw is 90 odd years old and will probably be around in another ninety, still runs the original triple expansion steam engines . The Nevis is a must I took John Smith from Deneli over there . Cheers Toddy
  11. Mark_S

Mark_S Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer:
    if you end up with some time to spend in the lower/middle part of the North Island and want a guide - let me know.

Plenty of tame gravel and also some fun knarly stuff if you are that way inclined....
  12. friar mike

Oddometer:
    Thanks Mark
    Yep being from Alaska I ride drit ALOT here. Here Iam doing a run up to Inuvik NWT Canada. that was 1000 miles of dirt in 3 days.:1drink
    [​IMG]
  13. hondav2

hondav2 Kiwi Fukengruver

Oddometer:
    You guys are a bit slow Frier , I done the 500 mile dirt up there in 1 day and me and CJ done the return trip in 1 day. Me on the DR650 and CJ on the old Dakar. I know where that pic was taken , Its the ferry crossing for that big river aye. Just got your DR 6fiddy out today , got its WOF and getting it Regoed tomorrow. Me and my son are doing a south Is ride over Xmas - New Year. We are taking both 6fiddys , old one has 58,000 miles on it now, put new chain , sprockets, and Metz tourance on rear, last Annake I got 11,000 miles out of it , put it on at the MOA rally in upstate New york in 06. Have you got the dates sorted yet. Cheers Toddy
  14. hondav2

hondav2 Kiwi Fukengruver

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

This is Friers Abby Autos

[​IMG]

Artic Circle on the way to Inuvik

[​IMG]

CJ after we finished the Demster Hiway

[​IMG]

Boundary Alaska , last stop before border of Yukon Alaska. CJ and Aust hitchiker we picked up.

[​IMG]

This is D2D Dust to Dawson. Frier and many other Adventure riders head to Dawson City Yukon for longest day weekend each year . A must do if your up that way. BTW frier I still got the box brownie Cob.
  15. friar mike

Oddometer:
    Well squire if you count time on the bike getting there and back I think we were a bit faster.:1drink :lol3
    I got the flite time I will be there Wenesday the feb 4th at 11:50 am.
  16. hondav2

hondav2 Kiwi Fukengruver

Oddometer:
    We are 2 , 3rds thru our south island ride , had a good opps on the old DR today, we were on the rainbow road and there is a big down hill stretch , well I gave it the jandel and got into some gravel, got a big tank slapper that got bigger then biffed me off, thank ---- 4 helmet and good gear, old bike is looking a bit sad , me no hamster sticker is schredded and me tail of the dragon, my head has a good lump on it so better go get into the grog, Happy new year and bring on Feb Cheers Toddy
  17. friar mike

Oddometer:
    Sorry to here that Toddy will you be able to finish your ride? and can bring some new " no hamster" stickies to cover the boboos on you and the bike. :lol3 get your part list together so I can bring what we need.
  18. hondav2

hondav2 Kiwi Fukengruver

Oddometer:
    The Frier from the great white north arrives wed dorkland 4 hours there then flight to Queenstown Cheers Toddy