User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2008, 09:31 AM   #1
tor1150r OP
--

Oddometer: 111
BMW service in Toronto

I've bought 2 bikes from BMW Toronto and have had nearly all service done there. No secret that the service level has dropped substantially in the last 1-2 years (although the guys there are decent people). These day's I'm lucky to get an email returned while trying to spend some $$$.

I'm wondering which other dealers in the GTA are competent, and who has had a positive experience with any dealer other than Toronto. I'd like to get my 10k done in the next couple weeks. Anyone had good service from Budd's (Oakville), Open Road or the Whitby dealer?
tor1150r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 10:03 AM   #2
IJM
Hinderant Backbenderz

Oddometer: 222
Thumb Open Road

I've had my bike serviced at Open Road over the past two years and I've been pleased with their performance - I've been less pleased by some of the prices but that's another issue. In terms of completing the work properly and treating me professionally, I would definately recommend them.
Naturally that's based on my experiences, others may vary.
IJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 10:06 AM   #3
Drif10
Accredited Jackass

Oddometer: 46,069
Bought mine from Open Road. Bunch of loose bolts when I picked it up, PDi was sloppy, to say the least.

Had them do the first service. Again, more stuff not done up right. Throttle body synch was off, too. Quoted me half of what the final bill ended up being. From others I knew what it was supposed to be so it was no rude surprise, but you shouldn't make promises like that.

Never been back since. Get Durham to do my warranty work, do the rest myself. Durham seems okay, but with one tech, he's a busy mofo, book ahead.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:10 PM   #4
Levert
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
I miss the good ole days of a BMW motorcycle only dealer.A lot of the guys downtown worked for Pat at Bavarian. Most of these guys are good, it seems that bikes are more of a nuisance for head office.
Whitby is great, Wolf is great.

Yourself can be the best bet after warranty!
Levert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 12:35 PM   #5
perobins
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Do it Yourself

My wife services her bike and I do my bike. We both have a 07 R1200GS. We bought Jim VonBades DVD, a few special tools from Marc Parnes and made our own Manometer. It is very easy and you will save a lot of money for gas!
There is a place in Burlington, FKA Enterprises that we have heard is very good. Shop rate much less that BMW dealer. He has all the tools to service BMW's.

Phil
perobins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 01:19 PM   #6
SR500ED
n00b

Oddometer: 9
I got my bike from Budd's and had all the service done there. Good work and competent mechanics, but pricey as my 10k service included a brake flush.
Ed
SR500ED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 05:45 PM   #7
bawa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
I would recommend Budds BMW in Oakville. While the customer service desk is weak - John and Anthony the techs are awesome!!
bawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 05:54 PM   #8
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,854
Might as well move this one to RF: Canada.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:08 PM   #9
tor1150r OP
--

Oddometer: 111
Thanks all.
I never heard back from Budd's, and I'd have to take a day off work to go to Durham - they aren't open on weekends either, so that scratches a Sat drop-off.

I finally got in touch with Toronto and booked the 10k. Quote is 370$, labour, fluids/parts and tax included. I plan on doing my own maint next season. So far I only do my own oil changes. Seeing as the bike is new I'll have the dealer do the 10k and stamp the book. I've always had the dealer do these services while under warranty.
tor1150r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 06:10 PM   #10
waterlilly
No Agenda World Tour

Oddometer: 786
Quote:
Originally Posted by perobins
My wife services her bike and I do my bike. We both have a 07 R1200GS. We bought Jim VonBades DVD, a few special tools from Marc Parnes and made our own Manometer. It is very easy and you will save a lot of money for gas!
There is a place in Burlington, FKA Enterprises that we have heard is very good. Shop rate much less that BMW dealer. He has all the tools to service BMW's.

Phil
It is FKN and Tomas has moved his shop to Stoney Creek, try www.FKN.ca

or you can find it on our home page under links.
waterlilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 06:39 PM   #11
Country Doc
Wanderer

Oddometer: 2,681
There's an independent tech I was told about in TO - "Rosey Toes", I believe.

No comments or experience other than a positive report from an oilhead GS owner.

dc
Country Doc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 06:55 PM   #12
kahoon
who's yer daddy??

Oddometer: 2,392
a little out of the way, but by FAR and away the best BMW service period, is Wolf BMW in London. for me its worth the trip to London to get the kind of service they offer and at very reasonable prices! Ian is one of the few master BMW techs in Canada, and he owns the shop and supports canadian thunder racers as well. they do service on saturday, and i normally leave early, drop off the bike and head to stratford for breakfast (of you've bought a bike from them, they give you a loaner). by the time i'm done, the bike is ready and i'm on my way home.

they are a true mom & pop shop with great service
kahoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 07:21 PM   #13
Ridemuch
SUP

Oddometer: 2,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwrider75
There's an independent tech I was told about in TO - "Rosey Toes", I believe.

No comments or experience other than a positive report from an oilhead GS owner.

dc
I think you're talking about Chuck Striker. He was worked at McBride's. He's got over 25 yrs experience on BMW bikes. I've taken my 1150 GSA to him. He works out of his house in the Jane and St. Claire area. Great guy but I think he only works up to 1150's but don't quote me on that.
I have his # but I have to find it.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:38 PM   #14
Velocifer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Rosey Toes aka Ted, is not the same person as Chuck Stryker. Took my KLR to Ted and he was great... don't know about his experience with Bimmers. I've heard good things about Chuck.
Tomas at FKN is great to deal with(1200GS) I rode out to him from midtown TO, and I'll go back. In Burlington, he'd pick up and drop off clients at the GO station.
I don't know what'll happen at the new shop in Stoney Creek.

As usual, YMMV
Velocifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 07:34 AM   #15
Attico
Wrong way 'round

Oddometer: 1,840
I'm an open road type of guy. I bought it there, and I have it serviced there at great expense since I Live in Ottawa. They are the best dealer in my opinion and are much better than the other ottawa dealer, which is unfortunate.

I had my rear main seal fixed there and the downtime was only a few days -- a week and a half from the time of makign the appointment to being done. That's pretty good service.

I like to deal with Pat, he is well respected and liked by everyone I've talked to. Good to keep these good guys in business.