User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2009, 09:34 AM   #76
moto-scoot bill OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
Sachs Madass On The Water!!!

WELL IT TOOK A LITTLE LONGER THAN EXPECTED, BUT THE SACHS MADASS 125 IS ON THE WATER , AND HEADING FOR THE STATES. WE SHOULD SEE THEM HERE IN ABOUT 4 WEEKS. INTEREST HAS BEEN VERY KEEN, AND YOU SHOULD START SEEING THEM BUZZING AROUND THIS SUMMER ALL OVER THE U.S.
moto-scoot bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 08:25 PM   #77
jb
waystupid

Oddometer: 265
jb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 06:36 PM   #78
Data
Chameleon

Oddometer: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by moto-scoot bill
WELL IT TOOK A LITTLE LONGER THAN EXPECTED, BUT THE SACHS MADASS 125 IS ON THE WATER , AND HEADING FOR THE STATES. WE SHOULD SEE THEM HERE IN ABOUT 4 WEEKS. INTEREST HAS BEEN VERY KEEN, AND YOU SHOULD START SEEING THEM BUZZING AROUND THIS SUMMER ALL OVER THE U.S.
It's been about four weeks- seen any yet?
Data is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 09:07 AM   #79
Nidblga
Eneal65

Oddometer: 8
Badass Madass

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorch
Cant wait until one of you guys buys it and posts a good review. Maybe some guy like wan will take it across the u.s.! That would be a blast.

The madass doesnt look very practical. And definatly doesnt look as comfy as a scooter.

What are the advantages it has over a scooter?
Scorch, I purchased a new (2006) Madass 50cc auto about a year ago from Viginia Powersports for $1499. They shipped it to me for $115 (great deal). I lived in Boston at the time. I started it and rode it around the block. It was painfully underpowered and I knew I could not commute on it 26 miles round trip daily. So I hit the net/blogs/forums and stumbled onto www.moto-scoot.net. I called and spoke to a guy named Bill and purchased the 88cc bore kit and Asspipe ($395 for bore kit and $195 for shorty Asspipe). I put it on as soon as it arrived and it completely transformed what I thought was a death trap for Boston side streets, to a very capable commuter. I rode it all summer long to work and loved it. I originally registered it as a moped and left it that way after the mod. It was legally no longer classified as a moped by Mass State law and I decided to "economize the truth" for the riding season--no issues with the law. Now the 88cc kit gave me a top speed of 54 mph with a tail wind and plenty of speed to keep me alive in the most non-friendly scooter city in the US--bar none (IMHO).

Chapter II: I'm moving across country from Boston to Seattle (04 April - Present) and decide to stop in Milwaukee for the night. I had a couple of issues I wanted to discuss with Andy Maulk of moto-scoot so I called Bill (the owner). That's when I learned there was a 160cc engine available. Had to have one. So I made plans to have Moto-Scoot install the 160cc engine while I was in town.

I arrived a day early and Bill was very accomodating. I spent most of the day there observing the install with Andy and hanging out with Bill while he wasn't on the phone. In the end, my 49cc bored to 88cc motorcycle (by legal definition in most states) is now a Badass 160cc urban assualt vehicle with an enduro kit (just in case I have to outrun the "Man" in the dirt). I only got to ride it around the block after the install because it was late. Bill, Andy and Carlos (a.k.a the Mexican Grasshopper or Andy's apprentice) kept the shop open for three extra hours to finish my scoot and get me on the road to Seattle!! Anyway, Andy, Carlos and I rode it for a few minutes and I have to say---it's freaking sick!! I'm going to try to attach a pic. I'm in Portland at the moment and won't be able to ride it until I get to Seattle Friday. I'm pretty sure I have the only customized 160cc Madass in the country with the new enduro kit.

Is it practical you ask? That's a personal question that begs to answered in the affirmative for this rider and lover of all things Madass. I have the pannier racks on mine and plan on riding the 2010 Scooter Cannonball run from San Fran to Delaware Sept 2010. I also plan on riding daily as my primary commuter. While I was at moto-scoot, I mentioned to Andy (head mech/inventor/designer/craftsman) that a pannier rack/luggage rack would be nice. He said he could make one. Can't wait and will definitely buy one as soon as they are ready.

Is it comfy? I think so. Not thrilled about the 06 saddle but the new saddles look and feel much better. I replaced the OEM handlebars with some that Bill recommended. Much more comfortable than the OEM bars--for me that is.

What advantages does it have over other scooters? Wow. That's a very subjective question. For me, it's weighs much less than my Piaggio MP3 and gets better gas milage. That's about it for advantages. I'm very fortunate to have several bikes and scooters and the Madass will be a completely new adventure for me. I'm a moto junkie so I don't need to justify my purchases with reason or I wouldn't have five bikes/motos/mopeds. I think this forum is good when people like you ask the more prudent questions like why buy one? I can only say that I love the looks, mod capabilities and shops like Bill's that recognize the uniqueness of this particular model.

I have also read threads regarding the cost. Making the statement that it's overpriced is too specific a statement. Obviously it is not or there would be NO Madass' on the road. This is one case where the market will decide what is too expensive. Moto-Scoot will deliver a new one to your door for $2495 (I think that deal is still out there). To me--that's a deal. To others--not so much. To each their own as the saying goes.

I'm getting ready to install the 160cc engine in my brothers Madass today. It is truly a "bolt-in", but there are a few mods that need to be done. For example, drilling the engine bracket larger to accomodate the larger engine bolt, same for the oil cooler install and you might need a new left handlebar switch back. The 2006s do for sure. I'll let you know how it goes and we might make a video of the install if I can find my brother's camera.

No joy on the pics. I'll have to resize them or send to anyone that wants to see my mods. I'm going to take more today and put a quick vid on youtube from the test start. My bike sounds really nice. Here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ka84O0CKa8M

That's my two centavos (worth much less than two cents . . . for now that is).
Nidblga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 04:42 PM   #80
JonnyFiveAlive
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Thumb Welcome to Seattle

Hey you'll have to ride that thing up to Greenlake when you get here. I'd like to take a look! Been thinking about buying one for a long time.
JonnyFiveAlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 05:47 PM   #81
stromaniac
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Is the Madass 125 available or not ?......I am still confused (easy to do).

Is there a waiting list ?

Thanx

Phil
Old 04-23-2009, 06:35 PM   #82
redhandmoto
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 560
As of a couple weeks ago, they advised me that the 2010 models would be in sometime in May, though the 160cc kits were already in.
Old 04-25-2009, 09:58 PM   #83
OConnor
Bad juju

Oddometer: 3,366
I guess I can skip trying to import an Ape and look at this in stead.
Pretty cool, would be an awesome bike to haul to Road America in the hitch-carrier. Perfect for zipping around the infield.
OConnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:50 AM   #84
Nurburgringer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
hey all

I've got a 2006 MadAss (orig 49cc) and know Bill from moto-scoot personally. Just wanted to chime in here if it may help anyone thinking about a MadAss scooter.

I bought mine last summer off craigslist Milwaukee from a guy who bought it exactly to use to get around Road America during superbike races, but then was given a proper dirt bike so didn't need the scooter any more.

Although it started as a 49cc, the PO had Bill put on a 70cc kit straight away, and then only rode it for ~50 miles.

I rode it a few hundred miles with the 70cc kit and stock 13t front sprocket (top speed around 35-40mph) around Milwaukee, then while on a trip to Japan last fall bought a Takegawa 90cc head, larger carb, and a few other goodies. You can get these parts in the US for about the same price but it was neat to check out the scooter scene over there and bring back some neat stuff.
Moto-scoot installed the engine upgrades as well as a 14t front pinion, and with them the scoot now gets up to almost 50mph quite nicely with my 6' tall, 200lb wide body aboard.
Will probably try a 15t pinion next so cruising at 45mph is a little more relaxed, and acceleration won't suffer much. Bill and Andy are releasing their second gen 'Asspipe' soon which is supposed to free up a few more hp and not be obnoxiously loud, so this may be in the cards as well.

current mods:
- front forks rebuilt by moto-scoot as the stock ones are so mushy I could push down on the handle bars and bottom them out
- replaced the useless rear-view mirrors (I have wide shoulders so couldn't see jack shit behind me) with bar-end ones bought at a mountain bike store
- added a cheap ebay-bought fake leather bag strapped to bars for key/phone/wallet storage
- replaced straight handlebars with 3" higher ones (generic dirt-bike bars) so I wasn't leaning over so far
- cut off rear license plate mount to be replaced with vertical mount to swingarm

All in all it's a fun way to commute on sunny days. Not too fast to get me into trouble, very nimble, solidly constructed and easy to park on curbs/bike racks etc.
The longest ride I've been on is about 5 hours in one day, on and off, and the only problem is that the old-style saddle is pretty uncomfortable on rides over 30 minutes, so I wore a pair of padded biker-shorts under my jeans and that helped a lot.
30 minutes to and from the office is fine, and riding down to the beach with the little lady on the back is great as it can be parked right there with the bicycles.

The response while scooting around downtown during Harley-fest surrounded by literally thousands of HD-fans last summer was overwhelmingly positive also.

Here's a link to some photos from Japan if interested, and a photo of Haley's first ride on a motorcyle down by Lake Michigan last fall:

cheers
Kurt

http://s180.photobucket.com/albums/x...ers/?start=all

Nurburgringer screwed with this post 04-28-2009 at 12:30 PM
Nurburgringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 11:55 AM   #85
Nurburgringer
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidblga
Is it comfy? I think so. Not thrilled about the 06 saddle but the new saddles look and feel much better. I replaced the OEM handlebars with some that Bill recommended. Much more comfortable than the OEM bars--for me that is.
good post - if you have any success retrofitting a newer/different saddle to the '06 (Bill informed that the mounting points are different), please let me know.

Have fun with the 160 :)

cheers
Kurt
Old 04-28-2009, 12:15 PM   #86
Nurburgringer
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorch
Cant wait until one of you guys buys it and posts a good review. Maybe some guy like wan will take it across the u.s.! That would be a blast.

The madass doesnt look very practical. And definatly doesnt look as comfy as a scooter.

What are the advantages it has over a scooter?
My experience riding 'traditional' scooters is quite limited (rode a 125cc Yamaha around the island of Rhodos a few years ago probably 40 miles or so), but I'd say the main (only?) 'true' advantage a MadAss has is larger wheels/tires and the associated performance/safety benefit they bring.

Other than that the Madass has less weather protection than every normal scoot I've seen, 2006 models have less comfy seat, and there is no storage as they come from the factory (though I've added a modest sized pouch to the back of the bars, and carry my laptop or groceries or volleyball or cooler etc in a backpack quite often). Fuel economy isn't spectacular at around 70 miles on the 1 gallon tank, but then again I tend to ride it pretty hard and it does have a larger carb/piston/valves than stock.
The solid engineering that went into these is impressive and open for all to see, and of course the appearance is quite special, so every trip becomes a bit of an event I must say.

Price-wise, sure they're more than 'traditional' Chinese scooters of equivalent engine size, but I thought of it like this: you can easily spend $1000+++ on a mountain bike, so the $1600 cost of mine plus ~$500 on upgrades was reasonable. Don't regret it for a second.

I notice on German Ebay well kept second-hand MadAsses sell for much less than 1000Euros, but since these are so far pretty rare here demand is much higher...

cheers
Kurt

Nurburgringer screwed with this post 04-28-2009 at 12:33 PM
Old 05-20-2009, 09:45 AM   #87
nicekid81
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
So I'm looking around at this thing, and I have to say, I'm intrigued; I do a quick google search, and I happen to find a pretty good deal; but it's on the '06 version of the 50cc - what are the differences? There's not much info on Google, but I read (and it IS the internet, so I'm taking it with a grain of salt) that the build quality has degraded since the '06 version? Or is it the same?

And of course, if there are any long-term reviews, I'd much appreciate it if someone pointed me to it!
nicekid81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:24 PM   #88
moto-scoot bill OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thumb 2010 Madass 125 On The Way For Real This Time!!!

THIS TIME IT IS FOR REAL! THE MADASS 125S ARE ON THEIR WAY. WE HAVE CONFIRMATION, AND NOT ANY MORE SUPPOSED TO BE MISINFORMATION. THIS IS A 100% CONFIRMATION, WITH THE FIRST ARRIVALS OF THESE NEW 2010 MADASS 125s HITTING OUR SHORES FOR THE FIRST TIME IN ABOUT 3 WEEKS---SECOND WEEK OF JULY. MADASS, THE LEGEND OF MADASS , AND THE RETURN OF THE MADASS----COMING TO A STEET NEAR YOU. BOOK YOUR FLIGHT FOR A TEST RIDE NOW.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:37 PM   #89
moto-scoot bill OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Madass 125 Here In The U.s---3 Weeks From Now

THIS IS 100% CONFIRMED FOR REAL , AND NOT A RUMOR. THE SACHS MADASS 125 2010 MODELS ARE ON THE WATER , AND DUE TO HIT OUR SHORES IN ABOUT 3 WEEKS. THIS IS THE GAS SIPPINEST / MOST FUN 2 WHEELER ON THE FACE OF THE EARTH----SORRY CUB FANS. THE SACHS MADASS ROCKS THE BOAT, AND MAKES WAVES WHEREVER IT GOES. THEY WILL WITHOUT A DOUBT BE A FOURCE FOR YEARS TO COME. THIS DESIGN IS JUST TOO COOL .......FORM FOLLOWS FUNCTION.
Attached Images

Old 06-12-2009, 02:05 AM   #90
wanna bECO
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 726
The design is cool, and I was a total fan. I am a member of the honda passport forum. there is a gent there that was a honda tech for about 20 years as I recall and has owned hundreds of bikes. He didn't have one good thing to say about the badd ass mad ass. Not any redeeming quality whatsoever. I myself think the looks of the bike are the best, but less strorage than my harley. WTF. Anyway, I own too many bikes right now and untill my wife gets her truck in the garage I am cut off from future purposes.

current stable

'94 Harley .... a blue one
'82 Honda passport
'87 Honda spacy 250
And an E Bike
85 spacy 250
81 passport (in pieces, many parts for sale)
The hit's just keep coming.. bought another 81 passport (11-28-09)

http://tiny.cc/ITgetsBETTER
wanna bECO is offline   Reply With Quote