ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-21-2009, 08:46 AM   #16
Luke wl.
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
If I make a route in on the City Nav map, can I transfer it to the Topo?
Luke wl. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 03:11 AM   #17
9Dave OP
Bazinga!

Oddometer: 12,775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke wl.
If I make a route in on the City Nav map, can I transfer it to the Topo?
Sure, you can switch to Topo in Mapsource, but it's not an autorouting mapset. So while you may see the autorouted view initially, the first time you recalc it will go to straight lines between waypoints, or via points.

If you load it into a GPS, it will be straight lines, unless you have an autorouting mapset loaded into the GPS.

dunno.....
9Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 08:02 AM   #18
Luke wl.
Gnarly Adventurer

So there is no way to keep the route the same if I transfer it to the gps and view it in Topo?
Old 08-24-2009, 09:57 PM   #19
Cougingit
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Ok, so I have copied the map file from the Garmin over to the computer, but I still do not have the routing tab. Can some tell me what I am doing wrong? I know that the map works fine as when you zoom in all the information is shown with regards to streets.
Cougingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 04:47 PM   #20
mike oxbig
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
worldmap autoroute?

I just bought the garmin worldmap and I think I just got f'ed... when they say routeable is that different than auto-routeable?
mike oxbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 05:59 PM   #21
phatt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke wl.
So there is no way to keep the route the same if I transfer it to the gps and view it in Topo?
To re-iterate and re-enforce what 9Dave said you can create a "follow the road" route in City Navigator and then view in Topo. But if you try to recaculate the route while in Topo, your route will be straight line from waypoint to waypoint.

If you want an auto-routing Topo map, I believe the 24k versions are auto-routable.

I usually do not use topo when I am following a route, because map redraws are usually slower due to the greater data involved. I only switch to Topo if I want to more thoroughly investigate an area I am in.

I also turn off the off-route recalculation on the gps so that an automatic recalc does not screw up my planned route. I can manually have the gps recalc a route only if I want it to.
phatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 06:33 AM   #22
Luke wl.
Gnarly Adventurer

I am having trouble loading the routes to the gps. Take the TWVT for example. When I load the file to my 660, I go to custom routes and there is nothing there. I have to go to import data and can only import 20 routes at a time. On top of that, I can only select one section of the route (I think that is normal).

So, do I have to import 20 routes, select each one while I am riding, delete them after I have traveled them than import the next 20?!? Please tell me I am doing something wrong.
Old 09-14-2009, 09:48 PM   #23
CopaMundial
Wow, that broke easy

Oddometer: 1,006
For noobs to the Garmin money-making-machine it might be worth mentioning that if you're buying maps from Garmin (City Nav NT for example), and you want to be able to use your maps to plan routes like this on the PC then you need to buy the DVD version.
If you get the download or memory card version then it loads directly to the device and you can't get it onto your PC. You pay the same price... but don't get as much functionality from the download.

At least that's my understanding, hopefully I'm wrong.

CopaMundial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 11:32 PM   #24
DennyIndy
Old F@rt

Oddometer: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by CopaMundial

At least that's my understanding, hopefully I'm wrong.
Unfortunately, I believe you are correct.

If you are downloading a nuMaps Update that will install to your computer, and your GPS, but that is the only downloadable map product that does that.

Map updates are available for units that come with pre installed maps.

Hopefully they will change that, since it does seem like a rip off.
DennyIndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 04:59 PM   #25
MIRider99
old butt new

Oddometer: 42
and how does one know if the map they are buying is routable or not? i bought topo 100k NA, and it appears it won't route. i wish i would have known.

07 950SE
05 CRF450
06 YZ250F
03 YZ125
96 VN800, VROC Member #99
Ironbutt-SaddleSore, BunBurner, & BunBurner Gold
MIRider99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 01:04 PM   #26
nikolic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 478
All right, now me. I have an eTrex H, so i dont have a maps on my gps. I can transfer waypoints, routes and tracks, but when I make a route in mapsource and transfer it to the device, it is detected as a array of waypoints, and I would like it to be displayed as track. So, how do I transfer routes from mapsource to tracks????
nikolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 01:14 PM   #27
tbirdsp
REMF

Oddometer: 8,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikolic
All right, now me. I have an eTrex H, so i dont have a maps on my gps. I can transfer waypoints, routes and tracks, but when I make a route in mapsource and transfer it to the device, it is detected as a array of waypoints, and I would like it to be displayed as track. So, how do I transfer routes from mapsource to tracks????
If you want a track, use the track draw tool in Mapsource to draw one. There is no converting of routes to tracks with Mapsource, although there are free software applications that will do it.

If you transfer a route to the unit you have to activate each route to get it to hook the waypoints together with route lines. Until you do that it will just be "an array of waypoints" as you described.
http://www.reddeliciousband.com
tbirdsp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 01:17 PM   #28
nikolic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 478
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirdsp
If you want a track, use the track draw tool in Mapsource to draw one. There is no converting of routes to tracks with Mapsource, although there are free software applications that will do it.

If you transfer a route to the unit you have to activate each route to get it to hook the waypoints together with route lines. Until you do that it will just be "an array of waypoints" as you described.
eTrex has an option for routes, and it hooks the waypoints, but it just does not feel right, it fills the memory with waypoints with no particular meaning. I cannot draw a track as detailed as route with the route tool.
nikolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 12:50 PM   #29
rchrds
Head Doucher

Oddometer: 117
Alright, so the new versions of Mapsource (6.16.12) don't work the same. You can no longer drag the route in the fashion described earlier. Has anyone got it to work in the later versions?

Answered my own question. Here is the new routine: Once you establish the route, using the selection tool (arrow) single click on the route. A double line (one from each end) appears with a plus near the cursor. Single click again on another point you wish included in the route. Program will recalculate. The route no longer turns yellow, so expect that. Also, it wont work if you try to drag. Just single click both times.

Thanks!

Jason

rchrds screwed with this post 08-01-2010 at 12:55 PM
rchrds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 05:59 PM   #30
cdq3
DRZ400pack mule

Oddometer: 933
Quote:
Originally Posted by rchrds
Alright, so the new versions of Mapsource (6.16.12) don't work the same. You can no longer drag the route in the fashion described earlier. Has anyone got it to work in the later versions?

Answered my own question. Here is the new routine: Once you establish the route, using the selection tool (arrow) single click on the route. A double line (one from each end) appears with a plus near the cursor. Single click again on another point you wish included in the route. Program will recalculate. The route no longer turns yellow, so expect that. Also, it wont work if you try to drag. Just single click both times.

Thanks!

Jason
true.. i liked the drag !

I take pride in having a ugly bike,where i ride pretty dont count.
cdq3 is offline   Reply With Quote