User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2015, 09:48 PM   #1
IdahoRenegade OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,606
Beginner Mountain Trails bike?

Looking for some ideas and recommendations. I have been into ADV bikes for a few years now, and have had a DR650, WR250R, WeeStrom and now a Tiger 800XC. For the vast majority of my riding (rural roads, dirt forest service roads and some ATV 2-track, as well as longer distance highway rides and camping/touring) I love the Tiger. It does what I want for these conditions and I have no plans to change.

However...I'm missing out on a lot. I live in north Idaho, a backcountry mecca. We have lots of single track. Only thing is, lots of these trails are very narrow, often carved into the side of a mountain or well covered with fallen logs or rocks. Adding to that, I'm in my early 50s and somewhat overweight (6'2, 250ish). And have NO real dirt bike experience. So...this old fart would like to ride some of those cool places I've been missing.

So, my ideas/criteria:
1) I don't need speed. I want a bike that can go most anyplace, but I don't need to get there quickly.
2) Many trails are narrow and off-camber. LOW SEAT Height is a priority for me. When I find I'm in over my head I want to be able to put my feet down ...without falling down the side of a mountain. There are many places I wouldn't even take my WRR due to seat height and slightly high gearing. Ideally I'd like something I can step through when TSHTF, like a trials bike or modern day Trail 90/110.
3) Light weight. Some of our trails start out pretty wide, but turn into a goat trail. I want something that I can not only pick up when I drop it, but also lift and turn around when things get bad.
4) "Tractor" gearing. Something that can crawl through the rough stuff without demanding high rpms and lots of clutch manipulation.
5) Cheap would be good. Paying off the Tiger and misc. other toys.
6) Reasonable fuel capacity and a seat-no trials bike. Too old to stand all day. Or to be more accurate-I think I want a trials bike with a decent sized gas tank and a seat.

So, any ideas? If money were no object I'd love to give a Freeride a try, but I don't want to blow that kind of money. I'm thinking more like a used TT-R125. But would my fat azz just overwhelm that bike? Any thoughts? Again, speed isn't a big deal for me, nor is tons of suspension travel. Modest GC isn't unreasonable with a skid plate and something light enough to slide around. Any other ideas? Thoughts welcome, thanks.

IdahoRenegade screwed with this post 06-29-2015 at 10:11 PM
IdahoRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 10:09 PM   #2
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,633
Forget the small wheel bikes. A TTR (or CRF) 230 would work far better. You will overwhelm the stock suspension on either of those as well though.
Old 06-29-2015, 10:17 PM   #3
villageidiot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,217
If speed isn't a priority..... A bit of a frankenbike might work for ya.

Ct90 chassis, xr100 front end (maybe a ttr125 if the neck bearings match, has a disc brake), and a manual shift 140cc pitbike engine.

Id bet it'd come in about 150lbs, and would have a low seat height.

Could even put a xr100 tank on it like the Aussie postie bike guys do.

If ya didn't wanna build a special weapon. Ktm freeride?

Frankenbike as shown below

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=65

villageidiot screwed with this post 06-29-2015 at 10:25 PM
villageidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 10:31 PM   #4
Geolander
Scruffy Nerf Herder

Oddometer: 617
Xr200r..
Geolander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 10:32 PM   #5
GEORGE K
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
I have had a number of bikes over the years, without boring you with a listing, I suggest you consider a TW200. I just got one a few weeks ago and am loving it because it does well most of the things you mention. I am 6'00" and 240 pounds, it goes quite well after a minor jetting change to the carb. If you have some time you might read through some of the TW200 thread on ADV and also look at TW200 Forum. Bottom line is that almost all owners love it because it is so much fun to ride and is a very capable trail bike.
GEORGE K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 11:52 PM   #6
cachorroLOUCO
Banned

Oddometer: 323

I think this is what you're looking for. This engine man.. it's so simple and yet so good to ride.
It's a 250 yamaha tricker,the bike has kinda of a cult following and you'll find a lot of info online. The same engine is also used in the xt250 which has a thread on advrider,the tenere 250,lander 250,xtz250x and ys250fazer. It's a mixture of trails bike with dual sport,very good.
cachorroLOUCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 11:53 PM   #7
cachorroLOUCO
Banned

Oddometer: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEORGE K View Post
I have had a number of bikes over the years, without boring you with a listing, I suggest you consider a TW200. I just got one a few weeks ago and am loving it because it does well most of the things you mention. I am 6'00" and 240 pounds, it goes quite well after a minor jetting change to the carb. If you have some time you might read through some of the TW200 thread on ADV and also look at TW200 Forum. Bottom line is that almost all owners love it because it is so much fun to ride and is a very capable trail bike.
The tw200 is a great bike,and i really like the big wheel look/handling
cachorroLOUCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 04:00 AM   #8
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,897
KTM200, 250, 300.

Start slow on those type of trails. Set up some obstacles and work on your skills lofting the front wheel over stuff. A trials bike is a great way to practice but standing for an entire ride is tiring. I have a KTM Freeride, it fits your needs very well except for the cheap part. The KTMs will be setup a lot better for the slow stuff than your WRR is.
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 05:50 AM   #9
Nobade
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Sounds like a KDX200 or 220 is right up your alley if you would like to ride a 2 stroke. Or possibly a Yamaha IT200 or 250.

Like the KTM freeride, a Beta Xtrainer would be awesome also except they're not cheap.

As big as you are, you could probably flatfoot a Honda XR250. I like the XR200 but am only 5' 10" tall. For a 4 stroke I'd look at one of those. Cheap and durable.
Nobade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 06:58 AM   #10
IdahoRenegade OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks for the comments. After reading the recommendations on the TW I started reading up on them. Sounds like a fun little tractor! Heavy for a 200CC bike for the mountains though (285), but I imagine the low height and CG makes it manageable. Looking at my local Craigslist, either these things hold their value like nothing I've ever seen, or people are dreaming.

That Tricker looks perfect, but I don't know a thing about them.

IdahoRenegade screwed with this post 06-30-2015 at 07:56 AM
Old 06-30-2015, 07:05 AM   #11
villageidiot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoRenegade View Post
Thanks for the comments. After reading the recommendations on the TW I started reading up on them. Sounds like a fun little tractor! Heavy for a 200CC bike for the mountains though (285), but I imagine the low height and CG makes it manageable. Looking at my local Craigslist, either these things hold their value like nothing I've ever seen, or people are dreaming.
They hold their value pretty well.

Few years back I picked up a then 3yr old one for $2500 with 500 miles on it. Rode it 4000 miles in 3 months, got tired of it, and sold it for what I paid.
villageidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 08:27 AM   #12
alvincullumyork
I wish I was cool

Oddometer: 2,130
Another vote for the KDX 220/200. They would be far more capable than the TW, more and better suspension, more power, easier and less maintenance and can be found fairly cheap, 2-3k.

If you're not comfortable with loads of power I would stay away from the KTM 2 strokes. They are awesome bikes but are very focused.
alvincullumyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 10:26 AM   #13
IdahoRenegade OP
Beastly Adventurer

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...t=idaho&page=3

That thread shows some of the north Idaho trail conditions...esp post #42. Hence my concern... Some of that is the "I'm turning around now" trail for me, but you can see what they mean when they say "single track" in north Idaho. And why a tall, powerful bike can be an issue for a rookie.

Watching that again...maybe sticking with forest service roads isn't such a bad idea.

IdahoRenegade screwed with this post 06-30-2015 at 10:39 AM
Old 06-30-2015, 10:37 AM   #14
alvincullumyork
I wish I was cool

Oddometer: 2,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoRenegade View Post
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...t=idaho&page=3

That thread shows some of the north Idaho trail conditions...esp post #42. Hence my concern...
There is no way I'd want a TW on a trail like that. It would be a blast on my KTM 300 though.
alvincullumyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 11:04 AM   #15
Dao1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Exactly. that kind of Idaho riding practically calls out for very good suspension, AND!, generous suspension travel & brakes that won't fade. I can see a TTR or a CRF230 being on the inadequate side of the equation, let alone a TR200. I hate to say it, but out there in Idaho land, that's KTM & Husaberg/Husky territory. Pick one of those, lower the suspension if you must, and revalve/respring for your size and "C" level ability. Done deal right there. Unfortunately, doing so will most likely cost more than you want to spend. What's your budget?
Dao1 is offline   Reply With Quote