Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2010, 08:38 PM   #1576
HRC37
Week-End Warrior

Oddometer: 3
It is a KX 250 muffler which I had a friend 'modify' so I could use it as a tool-box.....(He put his company logo on it)
I carry a few spanners, spare spark plug, allan keys, zip tyes etc..

boingk, I am using a Hot Shot CDI unit on my bike, bolts straight it, seems to make the bike rev harder...
Old 11-18-2010, 10:51 PM   #1577
boingk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 339
Cheers HRC, and that'd probably be because it moves the stock ignition cutout up another 1,000rpm. I don't think it gives any more advance over the stock unit though, from what I've been able to find out. I could be wrong, of course.

Bloody good ideas with the toolboxes there guys. I'm thining of making a topbox out of two US Military food trays - about 24" long by 7" wide by 7" high. Drill holes in bottom or trays & bike rack, coat bottom with a thin layer of silicon and bolt down. Rivet some hinges to the lids and you're set!

Cheers - boingk
Old 11-19-2010, 08:22 AM   #1578
2manyrides
shifty charactor

Oddometer: 1,595
XR600R footage from last weekend

Another ride, 130 miles. This is part 1 of what will be three from that day.
This is where the dirt starts.
Shared exclusively with the 600 crowd!

Hey, 11/25/10 and the next installment is ready. Part 2 of 3.
I didn't think chicken hawk road was much fun, but here it is...

and here's my channel...
http://www.youtube.com/user/2manyrides?feature=mhsn#p/u

2manyrides screwed with this post 11-25-2010 at 10:25 AM
2manyrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 09:53 AM   #1579
elsalvadorklr
southern xr rider

Oddometer: 4,150
sweet! buddy...cograts on yet another 600!

Christian
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 09:56 AM   #1580
elsalvadorklr
southern xr rider

Does anybody have experience with UNI FILTERS and the fact that they have at least two differnt types of airfilters for xr600s?

Apparently I bought the basci thick very closed cell foam filter with a plastic cage...

Ha anybody had a bad experience with this filter and the fact that it seems restructive compared to stock or a TWO STAGE FILTER like a moose, twin air or STOCK?

Thanks,
Old 11-19-2010, 10:03 AM   #1581
HeadTrauma
\_(ツ)_/

Oddometer: 1,260
The only UNI filters I have seen have coarse red foam on the outside and fine foam under that with a plastic cage to support it all....very similar to a Twin Air.
HeadTrauma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 10:04 AM   #1582
elsalvadorklr
southern xr rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadTrauma
The only UNI filters I have seen have coarse red foam on the outside and fine foam under that with a plastic cage to support it all....very similar to a Twin Air.
aja thats my problem! I have a very thick single foam red filer its not two stage...although I do see yellow on the inside...

is there only one? i believe benno or boingk showed another uni that WAS NOT LIKE MINE on their threads...

damnit!
Old 11-19-2010, 10:06 AM   #1583
elsalvadorklr
southern xr rider

I posted this on my thread...

headtrauma all others, are the two stage filters separate? i.e. can you remove one foam and leave the other or no?

Christian

allright guys I need a yes or no answer to these questions...

1. UNI FILTER. IS THERE MORE THAN ONE TYPE FOR XR600?
2. HAS ANYONE HAD TO JET DOWN ONCE THEY PUT ON A UNI.
3. WHO HAS EXPERIENCE WITH THE BASIC, THICK, ONE STAGE UNI FILTER?
4. WHO USES A TWIN STAGE FILTER AND DID YOU HAVE TO JET UP?

Thanks...

Im still fouling...

I have over 50-60vac at kickover with my rewound stator...something else is fubar like they say.

I have spark.

whats up?

Christian

60 pilot 1 turn out. 155 main needle second down from up not third.
Old 11-19-2010, 11:42 AM   #1584
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,623
Honda XR250R XR400R XR600R XR400 XR600 UNI AIR FILTER

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 12:01 PM   #1585
kta
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 576
Opinions Needed

Hey guys - I'm down in Mexico and the mighty XR6 and I killed cow on the highway a few days back. It was quite the scene. Details in my RR - but here is the specific question.

The oil return line (I believe it's the return) got bent and crimped a bit. It's now pressed up close to the head and pushing against the spark plug cap.

There are many other damage points on the bike from the accident, but this is the only one that worries me as a point of failure.

How badly am I impeding oil flow? Am I wrong to assume that as long as the oil tank stays filled while running I don't have a functional problem? Or will this crimp in the return line limit intake pressure/flow as well.

Motorcycle Tours in Guatemala
kta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 12:34 PM   #1586
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22manyrides
Another ride, 130 miles. This is part 1 of what will be three from that day.
This is where the dirt starts.
Great area....I grew up in northern California - dad lived in Placerville and Pollock Pines for years, I rode around Mosquito Ridge area as a teenager.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 03:51 PM   #1587
boingk
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Unifilters???
Righteo guys. Sit down and take a deep breath... 'coz you guys in the states might be getting a Unifilter, but not one as I know it. Unifilter is an Australia company (as far as I've ever known) and sells all over the world. No doubt, its product lines are a bit different in some countries.

When I replaced my stock filter I had the option of getting a direct replacement element for the stock cage, or getting a 'performance' setup which included an oversize cage and 2-stage element to suit. This is what they look like compared to stock:

Stock:

Unifilter performance kit 'NU 4075KIT':

It provides pretty good breathing (needed to richen the carb slightly) and good throttle response. The outer layer is quite course and easily removable to wash out. I'd recommend it to anyone, and it retails for AU$65 plus postage. Click HERE to go direct to the store's list page that features them. You may also note that the filter I'm using is under their 'ProComp 2' filter line, and not the 'O2 Rush' line which doesn't list the performance kit that I am currently running.

Hope that helps.

Cheers guys - boingk
Old 11-19-2010, 04:00 PM   #1588
boingk
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kta
The oil return line (I believe it's the return) got bent and crimped a bit. It's now pressed up close to the head and pushing against the spark plug cap.

How badly am I impeding oil flow? Am I wrong to assume that as long as the oil tank stays filled while running I don't have a functional problem? Or will this crimp in the return line limit intake pressure/flow as well.
SHort answer? Looks fine to me, I've seen bikes with similar crimping from stock. Hell, mine has something like that where it has been formed to plug into the reserviour... and it runs like a steroid-enhanced space shuttle.

Check the flow to the reserviour while the bike is running and in an upright position. Give it a few revs (constant) and see how it goes. If the reserviour drops significantly (use a torch) then you may have problems. If not then you're likely fine. These bikes do NOT use a high pressure system (3 to 5psi?) as far as I know, so you'll most likely be fine. If in doubt, I'm sure you can easily get a cheap replacement line.

The sparkplug cap is mostly as it is to facilitate easy removal and prevent the line from contacting the hot head when its running. You could possibly trim the top part of it a bit to prevent it putting pressure on plug contact.

Cheers - boingk
Old 11-19-2010, 05:19 PM   #1589
elsalvadorklr
southern xr rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111
Honda XR250R XR400R XR600R XR400 XR600 UNI AIR FILTER

thats the one I have....

check out boingks or bennos thread steve and youll see what Im talking about...its a different UNI FILTER...for racing or something...

cheers
Old 11-19-2010, 05:21 PM   #1590
elsalvadorklr
southern xr rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by boingk
Righteo guys. Sit down and take a deep breath... 'coz you guys in the states might be getting a Unifilter, but not one as I know it. Unifilter is an Australia company (as far as I've ever known) and sells all over the world. No doubt, its product lines are a bit different in some countries.

When I replaced my stock filter I had the option of getting a direct replacement element for the stock cage, or getting a 'performance' setup which included an oversize cage and 2-stage element to suit. This is what they look like compared to stock:

Stock:

Unifilter performance kit 'NU 4075KIT':

It provides pretty good breathing (needed to richen the carb slightly) and good throttle response. The outer layer is quite course and easily removable to wash out. I'd recommend it to anyone, and it retails for AU$65 plus postage. Click HERE to go direct to the store's list page that features them. You may also note that the filter I'm using is under their 'ProComp 2' filter line, and not the 'O2 Rush' line which doesn't list the performance kit that I am currently running.

Hope that helps.

Cheers guys - boingk
thank you boingk I DO READ THE THREADS! and this proves my point....

So, how much did you upjet and has anybody with a US ONLY uni filter downjetted because of said basic filter?

yes no im all ears....

christian

YOU ARE THE MAN!