Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2010, 03:51 AM   #1591
benno.h
cageracer

Oddometer: 437
chillax bro!

Uni do two filters for the XR600
1. two stage OEM replacement filter - you can order this with a replacement cage.
2. two stage high flow filter with custom fit cage.

The one pictured in this thread, which seems to be the one you have, is option #1 - and this is what I run. The two stages are glued together and are not meant to separate, unlike other two stage filters. You can tell it's a two stage filter because of the different grades of foam inside and outside. I sincerely doubt your jetting would require a significant change with this filter.
benno.h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 05:00 AM   #1592
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by benno.h
chillax bro!

Uni do two filters for the XR600
1. two stage OEM replacement filter - you can order this with a replacement cage.
2. two stage high flow filter with custom fit cage.

The one pictured in this thread, which seems to be the one you have, is option #1 - and this is what I run. The two stages are glued together and are not meant to separate, unlike other two stage filters. You can tell it's a two stage filter because of the different grades of foam inside and outside. I sincerely doubt your jetting would require a significant change with this filter.
everyone chilax! ajajaja thanks benno I will.

I can screw my fuel screw all the way in and still run and Im on the 60 pilot so I do need to down jet...the filter is clean. So Im wondering why.

So thats where I am at.

I have managed to run the bike with the side cover completely off and off idle response is imediate as in grunty, better but above midrange the bike bogs, probably too lean with the needle setting and 155 main jet I have.

But given that most people say their bikes bog big time or even stall when taking the sidecover off that means Im way rich on the low end, right guys?

So Im at 1 turn out as it is on the 60 pilot jet.

opinions?

Christian
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 08:34 AM   #1593
2manyrides
shifty charactor

Oddometer: 1,582
glad you connect with the area

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird
Great area....I grew up in northern California - dad lived in Placerville and Pollock Pines for years, I rode around Mosquito Ridge area as a teenager.
Me too, although from the valley, I just gotta get up at least that high for a satisfactory ride. The mosquito ridge road has become a magnet for sport bikes and touring harley runs. Very busy bike traffic and speed traps. The video begins just after a turn where the CHP, forest service and a tow truck were cabling a bike up the embankment. I wondered how bad the rider was hurt.
When talking pavement only, I like to run the georgetown to forest hill loop on my road thumper;

They have the speed limit lowered to 45 mph all the way up there.
You can coast about 20 miles, engine off, if you shoot the turns and use the brakes sparingly until you finaly reach the N fork of the middle.

Plated the old triumph ohv so I could run up there and then do the dirt thing.
still needed more, so the XR600 came into service with road plate.

Sometimes we'll ride the twins up there...

It's better to take the XR so that nothing stops us in the way of optional routes!

I've used about 2/3rds of the tread on my D606's in 1,700 miles.
I have a set of DOT trials tires that are in the waiting for the XR.
I will write up a report on how they hook up.
(someday when the results are in)
Thanks for the comment, now back to the technical portion of the
"call all XR600R" thread.

and here's my channel...
http://www.youtube.com/user/2manyrides?feature=mhsn#p/u
2manyrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 01:00 PM   #1594
Special Purpose

Oddometer: 5,453
So as much as I like the XR I got from Blakebird, I am beginning to HATE the carb. I've decided to replace it before I end up setting the bike on fire and walking away from it....so here's a copy of a post i just put up on TT. I'd like to hear opinions from ADV inmates as well.

So I recently acquired Blakebird's semi-famous XR600R. It's a sweet bike with one exception, the carb.

A sticky slide makes the off/on throttle transition way too abrupt, and I get weird stumbles that have been difficult to diagnose or correct. I find the carb to be a real pain to get to and work on, and am generally dissapointed in it. It has made me not want to ride or work on the bike. This is a problem.

So I'm trying to decide between the XR's only Mikuni flatslide kit or adapting an FCR 40 or 41 from another bike.

I'm tempted to go with the XR's Only Mikuni as it is cheap-ish, readily available, and comes ready to go. I'm a bit put off though by the mixed reviews it gets. People seem to love it or hate it, and lots seem to have trouble getting it tuned right.

I've had the FCR on other bikes and like the carb a lot, but there is no way I'm going to drop the $$ on a new one. This leaves adapting one from another bike. I've read reports of these being hard to fit and set up as well, but it seems generally that once their set-up, the yeild better performance.

So I'd like to hear some opinions on the two carbs. I'd like to hear only from people with direct personal experience, please. I don't care about what you've heard, only what you've seen.

If you went with the Mikuni, I'd like to hear about your experience with getting it tuned, any difficulties you encountered, and your overall impression of it. If you previously had similar problems to mine (stumbling, abrupt on/off), did the Mikuni fix them?

If you went with the FCR, what did you have to do to fit it? I'd like to know about cables, etc. Did you have to install it at some crazy angle to fit around other parts of the bike? (I've seen people mention this). How about tuning?
309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 02:54 PM   #1595
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,647
Carb

HERE'S MY 2 CENTS.

I have a Mukuni 41mm flat slide carb resting in its' box on the shelf. It's been there for many years. I never could get it to run correctly for me. I have the stocker on my bike with both cables and it works just fine. If and this is a big if I was to replace the OE carb I would try a FCR.

Maybe it's not the carb but YOUR carb. Is yours worn out?

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 05:52 PM   #1596
boingk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 339
Quote:
So, how much did you upjet and has anybody with a US ONLY uni filter downjetted because of said basic filter?
I have no idea what jets my carburettor is running. I assume it is stock. Keep in mind that this was an Australian-delivered bike and that we seem to get bikes in a better, non-emissions strangled state of tune than the US does.

I am running my mixture screw at 2.5 turns out from lightly seated. The factory recommendation is "about 2 turns out". It may be running a tad rich in this position and I am turning it back to 2.25 turns out as of today.

Again - I do not know the state of tune this carburettor is in internally. It could be possible that it has had a Dynojet kit or larger mainjet fitted by the previous owner. I will check it out sometime this week.

Cheers - boingk

EDIT: Also, I have found no problem at all with the stock carburettor. It seems to respond well to any input and gives me all the controll and power that I want. Sudden wide-open throttle at low engine revolutions bogs or kills the engine, but this is not a carburettor fault as it is not a CV carb and, in effect, operates much the same as a flat-slide does in that regard.

boingk screwed with this post 11-20-2010 at 05:59 PM
boingk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 07:38 PM   #1597
HeadTrauma
\_(ツ)_/

Oddometer: 1,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by boingk
I have no idea what jets my carburettor is running. I assume it is stock.
That's not good...
HeadTrauma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 08:46 PM   #1598
boingk
Gnarly Adventurer

Well, it sure as hell isn't broken... so why go trying to fix it? Thats my reasoning for not stripping it apart. Why should I go investigating if there isn't anything to investigate?

The only reason I'm going to have a look-see sometime this week is because I'm ordering a performance camshaft, and if I need to compensate with jetting in any way I'll need to know where I am now.

- boingk
Old 11-20-2010, 09:08 PM   #1599
HeadTrauma
\_(ツ)_/

Oddometer: 1,260
Quote:
Well, it sure as hell isn't broken... so why go trying to fix it? Thats my reasoning for not stripping it apart. Why should I go investigating if there isn't anything to investigate?
Because a surprising number of bike owners think they can add performance parts without rejetting and RFVC engines can be dangerously lean without exhibiting any symptoms of a lean mixture. It is never bad to know what the carb settings are even if the bike runs well.

My 600 was four sizes lean on the main and one on the pilot when I bought it. If it wasn't for a misfire that I thought was in the carb (and later traced to the ignition), I would have never touched the jetting and ultimately burned it down.
HeadTrauma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 09:40 PM   #1600
boingk
Gnarly Adventurer

Fair enough. If anything my bike is running a tad rich - bit of carbon buildup on th exhaust and the plug looks slightly rich as well. I mean, its running very well... but is at about 98% as opposed to 100%.

Again, its an Australian-delivered bike. From what I've heard on here, you guys get a few more restrictions than we do. Its possible that it may have a dynojet kit in it, as I did notice an aftermarket choke plate when I was fixing its actuation tab (hard engagement, was slightly bent). The last owner also put all the happening mods on it - hand/disc/sump guard, big tank etc - so I wouldn't be surprised if they did the carby as well.

Cheers - boingk
Old 11-21-2010, 06:14 AM   #1601
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,647
Quote:

The only reason I'm going to have a look-see sometime this week is because I'm ordering a performance camshaft, and if I need to compensate with jetting in any way I'll need to know where I am now.

- boingk
Installing a cam does NOT necessitate a jetting change. Think about it. What does a cam do? It increases the open duration of the intake valve thus allowing more time for more fuel to enter the cylinder. So by installing a cam and jetting up you are really increasing the fuel intake. In some cases a performance cam needs to be jetted down.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 12:08 PM   #1602
SlowRide13
Veteran n00b

Oddometer: 1,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111
Installing a cam does NOT necessitate a jetting change. Think about it. What does a cam do? It increases the open duration of the intake valve thus allowing more time for more fuel to enter the cylinder. So by installing a cam and jetting up you are really increasing the fuel intake. In some cases a performance cam needs to be jetted down.
mcma111,
I sure wish you would move to Georgia. Thank you for the time you spend here!
www.hoofrehab.com
SlowRide13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 07:42 PM   #1603
boingk
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111
Installing a cam does NOT necessitate a jetting change. [snip] In some cases a performance cam needs to be jetted down.
Which is exactly why I said:

Quote:
if I need to compensate with jetting in any way I'll need to know where I am now.
And, as everyone here is so damn quick to point out, (and which, incidentally, I completely agree with) any modification to the engine/intake/exhaust may necessitate a change in carburettor tune. I therefore imagine that installing a camshaft which flows more air/fuel mix through the engine may require a change in carburettor tune.

Not trying to be aggrevating, just clearing things up. I do understand and appreciate what you are saying, mcma111.

- boingk
Old 11-26-2010, 07:44 PM   #1604
boingk
Gnarly Adventurer

Meanwhile, on a long ride with a lot of high speed (70mph) freeway travel and hard riding through the twisties I returned an average fuel consumption of 5.7L/100km (41mpg {US}, 50mpg {Imp}).

Does that sound about right, keeping in mind my bike has had the snorkle & exhaust restrictor removed?

Cheers - boingk

boingk screwed with this post 11-26-2010 at 07:51 PM
boingk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 08:46 AM   #1605
2manyrides
shifty charactor

Oddometer: 1,582
attention XR600R folks

Hear ye, hear ye...
I have finished creating part 2 of the 11/14/10 ride.
It's just a dirt road. Not really all that exciting. Those who enjoy my vids though should click it. The Chicken Hawk Road runs from Michigan Bluff east until it hooks up with the Foresthill Road.
I ran the recorder for most of it. It's fairly uneventful. There's some ranting and raving about all the no trespassing signs and the lack of being able to get down tom the western states trail from out of michigan bluff, or chicken hawk.
There's the usual bed of music. The video ends when I arrive at the sugar pine ohv staging area and find the pick up truck of my buddy who's off on his XR400.

Stay tuned for part 3 later cause its a nice "tie" road I found that runs from the top of the ridge on Kings Hill Road, down to the Shirtail Canyon Road.
(I haven't made it yet, but I will...ha, ha)

Till then, keep riding!

and here's my channel...
http://www.youtube.com/user/2manyrides?feature=mhsn#p/u
2manyrides is offline   Reply With Quote