ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2009, 05:01 AM   #151
UK Jimbo
Gnarly Adventurer
 
UK Jimbo's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: London, UK
Oddometer: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingQWERTY
With mine I took out the screw from the old tank that the rubber thingy hooks onto and screwed it into the Ascerbis and it went on just like the original.
I think perhaps the bolt I have is the wrong length. If I screw the bolt all the way in then I have no space to hook the seat under it. To be able to fix the seat under it the bolt has to be partially undone and then works its way loose.
UK Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 11:52 AM   #152
dualdogdave
Twin Power Rules!
 
dualdogdave's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Santa Cruz Mountians
Oddometer: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRider
We're a lot closer than I thought, I'm at LG Almaden and LG Blvd, just a few blocks away. I'm always up for a ride and would love to compare notes and have a look at your 600. You know this is going to degrade into a head to head race of the 628s right?

We are neighbors !

I'm in the dog house stuck with deferred property maintenance this weekend.

I definately want to connect with you for riding, shop talk, etc. 377 1864

[IMG][/IMG]



.
__________________
" In the pursuit of motorcycling excellence"


DDD

Santa Cruz Coastal Mountains

"TransHawk" Dyno Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tA-y7nxL580

"TransHawk" Dyno Charts:
http://picasaweb.google.com/adv990/D...05658028913170

Transalps and other cool bikes spotted in my travels.
http://picasaweb.google.com/adv990/T...eat=directlink
dualdogdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 05:43 PM   #153
Lomax
Nanu-Nanu Adventurer
 
Lomax's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Westminster Colorado
Oddometer: 8,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by UK Jimbo
I think perhaps the bolt I have is the wrong length. If I screw the bolt all the way in then I have no space to hook the seat under it. To be able to fix the seat under it the bolt has to be partially undone and then works its way loose.
As I recall, the stock Honda one is a shoulder bolt that screws in tight but still sticks up so you can put on the rubber band and also hook the seat under it. Or you could put some blue locktite on it so it would not back out. Be very careful not to get any locktite on the plastic.

Get a stock screw from Honda. It can't be more than a few bucks. After all it is not a BMW screw.

Marc
__________________
06 KTM 450EXC, 84 R100RS LE, 89 XL600V, 2012 Stelvio, 2013 V7R, 73 850 Commando, 78 CT90, 06 Ural
http://s22.photobucket.com/albums/b327/lomaxcm/?sc=3



Lomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 07:05 PM   #154
XRider
Almost Lifelike
 
XRider's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Los Gatos, CA
Oddometer: 1,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by UK Jimbo
I think perhaps the bolt I have is the wrong length. If I screw the bolt all the way in then I have no space to hook the seat under it. To be able to fix the seat under it the bolt has to be partially undone and then works its way loose.
I've got the illustrated installation instructions for your tank if you'd like them. You can also find them on the Acerbis web site.
__________________
XR650R Plated Supermoto
XR628R Plated and highly modified
CR500R Still rips after all these beers
RZ350L Kenny Roberts Special
KTM300EXC Plated & So cool
XRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 08:44 PM   #155
kta
Studly Adventurer
 
kta's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: On the Road.
Oddometer: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomax
Quote:
I think perhaps the bolt I have is the wrong length. If I screw the bolt all the way in then I have no space to hook the seat under it. To be able to fix the seat under it the bolt has to be partially undone and then works its way loose.
As I recall, the stock Honda one is a shoulder bolt that screws in tight but still sticks up so you can put on the rubber band and also hook the seat under it. Or you could put some blue locktite on it so it would not back out. Be very careful not to get any locktite on the plastic.

Get a stock screw from Honda. It can't be more than a few bucks. After all it is not a BMW screw.

Marc
Just take the bolt to home depot and get one that's a touch longer.
kta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 12:11 PM   #156
docious
Shit Needs a Rebuild...
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Seattle, WA
Oddometer: 32
I am new to the forums and I just picked up a 1992 XR 600R. It is in pretty solid shape and I just gave it a tune up over the weekend. This bike will be taking me on the TAT (summer of 2010). I have a lot of work ahead of me, but I am excited for a new project.

Right now I am trying to figure out how to get it plated as no one in Washington will inspect the bike. Looks like I may have to get it plated in Oregon and then transfer it back to Washington.



I am debating on whether I should buy a dual sport kit, or try to make my own. It seems like putting together my own kit would be much cheaper, but also a lot more hassle.

Wish me luck!
docious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 01:40 PM   #157
UK Jimbo
Gnarly Adventurer
 
UK Jimbo's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: London, UK
Oddometer: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by XRider
I've got the illustrated installation instructions for your tank if you'd like them. You can also find them on the Acerbis web site.
I took a look on the Acerbis site(s) but couldn't find fitting info with the tanks or a technical support section.

Thanks.
UK Jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 06:42 PM   #158
motowest
Two-wheeled Adventurer
 
motowest's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Oddometer: 1,233
Quote:
Originally Posted by docious
I am new to the forums and I just picked up a 1992 XR 600R. It is in pretty solid shape and I just gave it a tune up over the weekend. This bike will be taking me on the TAT (summer of 2010). I have a lot of work ahead of me, but I am excited for a new project.

Right now I am trying to figure out how to get it plated as no one in Washington will inspect the bike. Looks like I may have to get it plated in Oregon and then transfer it back to Washington.



I am debating on whether I should buy a dual sport kit, or try to make my own. It seems like putting together my own kit would be much cheaper, but also a lot more hassle.

Wish me luck!
Welcome! Nice bike for the TAT. Be happy you're not trying to plate your bike in California! Sounds like plating it out of state and then bringing it back might be the way to go for now. You hit the nail on the head about the dual-sport kit. Good luck!
motowest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 06:58 PM   #159
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t
 
Blakebird's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Parker, CO
Oddometer: 14,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by docious
I am debating on whether I should buy a dual sport kit, or try to make my own. It seems like putting together my own kit would be much cheaper, but also a lot more hassle.
Totally depends on the nature of the laws in your state regarding dualsporting a dirtbike.

Stringent equipment requirements, and an inspection? Buy a kit.
Need a brake light switch, a mirror, and a squeeze bulb horn? DIY
__________________
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 03:49 PM   #160
esmoff
Adventurer
 
esmoff's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Colorado
Oddometer: 85
On the subject of dual sport kits...does anyone have a stock headlight shroud (red) laying around that they would like to turn into cash? I need one for my '00 XR600. Bald tires, snow and big slippery rocks (and a dash of poor judgement ) led to the destruction of mine last weekend.
esmoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 04:51 PM   #161
DirtHopper
Gnarly Adventurer
 
DirtHopper's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: AZ
Oddometer: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by esmoff
On the subject of dual sport kits...does anyone have a stock headlight shroud (red) laying around that they would like to turn into cash? I need one for my '00 XR600. Bald tires, snow and big slippery rocks (and a dash of poor judgement ) led to the destruction of mine last weekend.
was the bad judgement the riding conditions, or the blad tires? LOL J/K






__________________
Witout pavement.....The world would be a better place!
DirtHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 04:59 PM   #162
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t
 
Blakebird's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Parker, CO
Oddometer: 14,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by esmoff
On the subject of dual sport kits...does anyone have a stock headlight shroud (red) laying around that they would like to turn into cash? I need one for my '00 XR600. Bald tires, snow and big slippery rocks (and a dash of poor judgement ) led to the destruction of mine last weekend.

I do.

I have a red/white one that came off my XR650R and has been sitting since.
Also have the white one that came off the '92 XR600.
The one that came off the '00 XR600 is going on the '92.

I'm down in Parker, if you wanna swing by sometime you're welcome to it. (you in the Denver area?)
__________________
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 06:41 PM   #163
esmoff
Adventurer
 
esmoff's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Colorado
Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtHopper
was the bad judgement the riding conditions, or the blad tires? LOL J/K






both...lol...and I took a line that I shouldn't have under the circumstances.
esmoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 07:19 PM   #164
esmoff
Adventurer
 
esmoff's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Colorado
Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird
I do.

I have a red/white one that came off my XR650R and has been sitting since.
Also have the white one that came off the '92 XR600.
The one that came off the '00 XR600 is going on the '92.

I'm down in Parker, if you wanna swing by sometime you're welcome to it. (you in the Denver area?)
Thanks!

PM sent.
esmoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 08:00 PM   #165
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t
 
Blakebird's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2004
Location: Parker, CO
Oddometer: 14,375
These pics are from an XR650R headlight on ebay (so they'll disappear eventually) - but this is exactly what it looks like.



__________________
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014