Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2009, 11:42 AM   #241
Zombie_Stomp
Aspiring human

Oddometer: 2,231
Thanks all for your help. I think the best thing for me to do is to go with the TKRJ +1mm piston kit on e-bay. I don't know how I missed it in my searches, probably because they spelled it "XR-600" with the hyphen. It's close and will ship fast and cheap, and is also only about $95 shipped. I could spend about $50 more on the tried-and-true Wiseco, but this company might be just as good for a lot less. I'll ask around and see who has used their prodducts and to what degree of sucess.

Alright, I've taken enough, but I am not ok with all give and no take. This isn't an XL600 thread, but then again it isn't Joel's Charity Piston Mission either.

Therefore, I will post the photos of my newly raised XL600. I have 1989 XR600 forks with an XR650L upper triple clamp to retain key ignition and steering lock function. For the steering lock, I had to bash and bend down the tabs on the steering tube until I can get in there and weld on my own stops since the XR650L has the ignition switch mounted a bit lower in the clamp for some reason. Then to even things out in the rear, I designed a lowering link for the suspension and whren I offered the plans to one of ADV's XL600 newbie, the 6'4" Jgrady1982, he informed me that his dad has a machine shop and that he would be happy to whip 2 of these up at no charge, so I was like, "hell yeah!" So I finally got the finishing shaping done on the link by a local ADVer on his mini hobbyist milling machine and got the bushings pressed into it from my old one and installed it. It is like the stock link but has 1 inch removed from the overall length for a 2.75-3" lift, my reversed reverse-engineering of the Kouba link!

So the stance is now about perfect out back too. The forks are moved up in the clamps slightly. I only went to the two little grooves machined in them, which is probably Honda's way of saying, "don't go past here or the wheel could bottom out", and the overall height is just a bit lower than an XR650L, which is perfect. The bike can be 90* to the ground, and I can flat foot one foot and have the ball of my foot on the other side. Whereas with the XR650L and XR600R I have to tip the bike at about 5-10* angle to flat foot one side. Or something like that. PHOTOS!
Before the link:

After:

The alterations to suspension dynamics for links of different length. The curve makes it stiffer sooner, but with softer spring and/or just loosening up the preload, I should be back to great suspension characteristics:

So with the XR engine and XR forks, I seem to have almost as much of an XR as I have an XL. The main differences are the rear swingarm, which I have one of back in NC that I could have shipped, and then there are the subtle differences of the shape of the rear frame member that allows the smaller, battery boxless airbox and XR seat, and the gas tank mounting. I also noticed that the XL has thicker subframe members, an added plus for my heavy touring boxes I made before my trip. That's right, I rode this bike from NC to OR, see link below for the Ride Report.

Other things I'd like to do to it are a bigger tank and if I could find a cush-drive XR600 hub, I'd switch to the XR600 swingarm. I could try to find a way to fit my XL cush hub in there but last time I looked at the fitment, it seemed too big even for bushing alterations to make up the difference. The RAD manufacturing hubs are a lot of money, way more than I've got now, that's for sure.
I'll finish with my 1983 XL600 role model, the Total Prototype XL600 Paris Dakar race bike. The first year of the 600cc RFVC engine!

I do heavy-duty textile repair, upholstery, and design/manufacture bags.

Zombie_Stomp screwed with this post 04-05-2009 at 11:48 AM
Zombie_Stomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 10:49 PM   #242
docious
Shit Needs a Rebuild...

Oddometer: 32
After 4 months of stressing about getting my bike plated in WA, I walked into the DOL today and they basically handed me a plate. I am so freaking excited!!!
Old 04-30-2009, 02:54 PM   #243
Not for Highway Use
Wannabe hasbeen

Oddometer: 992
Quote:
Originally Posted by docious
After 4 months of stressing about getting my bike plated in WA, I walked into the DOL today and they basically handed me a plate. I am so freaking excited!!!
Whats the deal trying to get these plated. Here in NSW, Australia, it took me a week to do.

Needed, mirrors, chain guard, baffle in, indicators, horn, good grip on tyres, no rips in seat, VIN check and about AU$300.00

Legend in my own Control Panel
Not for Highway Use is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 03:06 PM   #244
scrminbanshee
Awsome

Oddometer: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not for Highway Use
Whats the deal trying to get these plated. Here in NSW, Australia, it took me a week to do.

Needed, mirrors, chain guard, baffle in, indicators, horn, good grip on tyres, no rips in seat, VIN check and about AU$300.00
\

Because here in america the dmv makes everything hard.
scrminbanshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 03:09 PM   #245
Owyhee
Ran when parked

Oddometer: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not for Highway Use

Different states have different laws. In some states it is impossible to plate a dirt bike. I have a plate for one of my bikes. It was $17 and I don't have lights, horn, mirrors, etc. It's not legal to ride on the street but the state put the responsibilty of having a legal bike on the owner.

"O"
Owyhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 03:24 PM   #246
Zombie_Stomp
Aspiring human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owyhee
Different states have different laws. In some states it is impossible to plate a dirt bike. I have a plate for one of my bikes. It was $17 and I don't have lights, horn, mirrors, etc. It's not legal to ride on the street but the state put the responsibilty of having a legal bike on the owner.

"O"
What's the name of that particular policy, "U-da-ho"?

Old 04-30-2009, 04:09 PM   #247
Owyhee
Ran when parked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_Stomp
What's the name of that particular policy, "U-da-ho"?
Maybe "Ride-or-no?"

Seriously, I ditched my street plate for a restricted ORV plate and outside of the city the cops don't care if you're on back roads as long as you're not actin' a fool. Many towns are ORV friendly too; they figure if you're coming into town you're going to spend money on gas/food/beer.

My second XR600 has a plate now and is blinkered/horned/mirrored. Too bad it's spending its second years stuffed into the corner of the garage packed in boxes.

"O"
Old 04-30-2009, 04:45 PM   #248
Zombie_Stomp
Aspiring human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owyhee
My second XR600 has a plate now and is blinkered/horned/mirrored. Too bad it's spending its second years stuffed into the corner of the garage packed in boxes.

"O"
We need to change that, man!

Old 04-30-2009, 10:08 PM   #249
Owyhee
Ran when parked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_Stomp
We need to change that, man!
My other 600 (now 628) is maybe 50% ready for reassembly. It still needs a huge infusion of time and cash. Also, there is another project ahead of it which is 90% ready for reassembly. My crystal ball says "not this year" for either bike.

To top it off I took a 40% pay cut over last year, work 1.5 jobs vs. 1 last year, travel (mostly to Asia and DC) 2 weeks a month, and have a newborn at home.

Boo adulthood.

"O"
Old 05-05-2009, 11:27 AM   #250
wide
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 387
Any one fitted a screen to their XR600??
wide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 12:19 PM   #251
Zombie_Stomp
Aspiring human

Quote:
Originally Posted by wide
Any one fitted a screen to their XR600??
Naw, watching TV while riding is dangerous, man.

Old 05-05-2009, 12:24 PM   #252
lateapex31
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 185
I just finished a little winter work on my XR600R. She was up for a new (to me) set of CFR450 forks and an FCR-MX carb. I'm still working out the suspension settings but am enjoying both mods quite a lot.

Daily driver next to the off road machine
Old 05-08-2009, 07:11 PM   #253
docious
Shit Needs a Rebuild...

Oddometer: 32
Question oil problem?

Hey guys,
I posted this over in the garage section, but I thought since we all share a common bike you might have more insight into this....

I have a '92 XR600R that I purchased in January. Right away I gave it a tune up. It has been running strong. I have also been in the process of dual sporting it, which most recently caused me to get my stator rewound. After reinstalling the new stator and putting the left cover back on with a new gasket and new magnetic drain plugs I filled the bike back up with oil and it checked out at a good level.

Since then I have ridden it two times. Once about 30 miles, after which I checked the oil level again and it was fine. Then last weekend I went on a 90 mile ride including some highway traveling and trail riding. The next day I checked my oil level and it was at the very bottom of the dipstick. The bike did not seem to be burning any oil.

Today I went and got another quart of oil. I added about half of it, checked the level, started the bike, shut it off and checked again. The oil after a few minuted again was at the very bottom tip of the dip stick. I repeated this process after adding the rest of the quart of oil and the same thing happened. Bike starts and seems to run fine and there are NO visible oil leaks!

I find it hard to believe that I could burn that much oil with out the bike smoking like a chimney. Could the oil pump be bad?

Please any advice. Thanks!
Old 05-08-2009, 07:18 PM   #254
debaisley
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,424
whats with the handguards pointing at the ground ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lateapex31
I just finished a little winter work on my XR600R. She was up for a new (to me) set of CFR450 forks and an FCR-MX carb. I'm still working out the suspension settings but am enjoying both mods quite a lot.

Daily driver next to the off road machine
debaisley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 10:02 PM   #255
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by docious
Hey guys,
I posted this over in the garage section, but I thought since we all share a common bike you might have more insight into this....

I have a '92 XR600R that I purchased in January. Right away I gave it a tune up. It has been running strong. I have also been in the process of dual sporting it, which most recently caused me to get my stator rewound. After reinstalling the new stator and putting the left cover back on with a new gasket and new magnetic drain plugs I filled the bike back up with oil and it checked out at a good level.

Since then I have ridden it two times. Once about 30 miles, after which I checked the oil level again and it was fine. Then last weekend I went on a 90 mile ride including some highway traveling and trail riding. The next day I checked my oil level and it was at the very bottom of the dipstick. The bike did not seem to be burning any oil.

Today I went and got another quart of oil. I added about half of it, checked the level, started the bike, shut it off and checked again. The oil after a few minuted again was at the very bottom tip of the dip stick. I repeated this process after adding the rest of the quart of oil and the same thing happened. Bike starts and seems to run fine and there are NO visible oil leaks!

I find it hard to believe that I could burn that much oil with out the bike smoking like a chimney. Could the oil pump be bad?

Please any advice. Thanks!
You're overfilling it. There's a method to checking the oil in this semi-drysump motor. It needs to be run to temperature, and if you've done high speed to get it there, rumble down the street, let it idle a bit....then shut it down and check it.
If you let the bike sit overnight and check it cold, you'll get a low reading. Oil can migrate out of the frame downtube into the sump, and give you a low dipstick reading.

Drain what you have in it from the engine drain plug and frame plug - then refill with 2 qts.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote