Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2012, 11:39 AM   #5416
elsalvadorklr
southern xr rider

Oddometer: 4,139
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmonkey7 View Post
Hey all, my front brake caliper on my 96 XR6 recently started sticking pretty bad (not releasing). I was looking at either a caliper rebuild kit for $30 or so, or a caliper off a 2003 650l for $45 off of fleabag. They say their caliper is in good working order and it looks clean. Which way would you guys go?
replace seals man,

youre just going to get a replacement caliper with equally bad seals

easy to do

push pistons out, replace 2 seals in each piston, clean the pistons with a rag, use a qtip to clean the inside if the calipers, and if you feel like it you can polish up the insides

bleed caliper

bam, brand new
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:45 AM   #5417
boomshakalaka
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsalvadorklr View Post
too bad im in el salvador

have some nice 98 rebuilt forks with new seals, cut(stiff) springs, axle, even a new excel wheel and buchanan spokes... all complete

ask steve, he has it all

ha, you were the first person I thought of, since you just did your USD swap. I actually deleted my post, because I think it may have been a bit premature. Ive been told that there is a strong chance that the forks may just bet twisted in the clamps, and just need to be fiddled with. Ive never delt with something like this before, so I just figured that if the bars arent the problem (brand new renthals), and the front end is still wonky, then it must be bent forks.
boomshakalaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:57 AM   #5418
elsalvadorklr
southern xr rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomshakalaka View Post
ha, you were the first person I thought of, since you just did your USD swap. I actually deleted my post, because I think it may have been a bit premature. Ive been told that there is a strong chance that the forks may just bet twisted in the clamps, and just need to be fiddled with. Ive never delt with something like this before, so I just figured that if the bars arent the problem (brand new renthals), and the front end is still wonky, then it must be bent forks.
oh though you checked that already

well in that case take fors off bike, remove springs, then cycle tubes up and down inside the sliders, if one or both sliders/tubes dont fully compress or slide allllllll the way down you have a bent tube

I know because one of my 88 original forks is bent

these are the forks that got hit during my accident when hit by a car

one tube will not go all the way down into the fork lower

you can also check by dissassembling the forks completely and roll them on a flat surface old school style

in any case

it might be as simple as relase pinch bolts on fork clamps and whack the wheel against a tree or use youre knees and realign

simple really

let us know how it goes also there is a method to retightening torquing the front end

where to start fist and all

it can be a bit argumentatitve on which method is best...jajajaja

like an oil war of sorts

p.s. I am back in business with a new laptop thanks to the wife, geeeeeeze!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! missed you guys....jajaja like for a week! jajajajajaja
Old 08-20-2012, 01:10 PM   #5419
kirbi69
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 219
i was about to send the search and recue party after you christian!!!
Old 08-20-2012, 01:41 PM   #5420
elsalvadorklr
southern xr rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbi69 View Post
i was about to send the search and recue party after you christian!!!
jajajaja

you do know that posting on here keeps me sane do you? jajajajaa

I think Im not the only one...too

jajajajaajaja

cheers

now, if I could only get my new pg down here, should be soon and maybe I can start riding again

Old 08-20-2012, 01:43 PM   #5421
S.t.t.G.
Mind over metal...

Oddometer: 1,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by nonfatwater7 View Post
Hey guys...
I still have some parts left from the xr

Still have:

-Clarke gas tank
-Wheels
-Frame
-Lots of motor parts
-Hand guards
-Side panels
-Foot pegs
-Seat
-Rear shock

Just shoot me an email and ask away and I'll let you know what I have and give you a price as well

Nonfatwater7@yahoo.com
I sent you an e-mail or two regarding the side covers....let me know whats going on....
S.t.t.G. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:06 PM   #5422
Alaskajeff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,110
Acerbis 5.8 installed!

I had to tweak the mounts a bit to get it to sit straight on the bike but it finally gave in. I still can't believe that they send a PLASTIC Y fitting and cheap clear tubing for the fuel lines and expect you to use them. I upgraded to a beefier T fitting and some 1/4 fuel rated hose that worked quite well. With my 1.5 gallon aux fuel container I believe I have the range to plan a trip up the Dalton Highway next summer. It's around 270 miles from Coldfoot to Deadhorse with NO FUEL STOPS inbetween so you have to plan accordingly. OR walk

1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
2011 Verys ADV
92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
Alaskajeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 05:37 PM   #5423
jcshew
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Bent Forks

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomshakalaka View Post
boom:
If you find you need forks, let me know. I have a set of 92s that are in very good condition.
jcshew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 02:59 AM   #5424
raytriplej
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Nice screen there Alaskajeff, any more pics of it?
raytriplej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 10:15 AM   #5425
Royal Club
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
Apart from the 88 and up XR's having a offset to the left for shock absorber mounting, would an 88 and up shock fit in an 87 frame/prolink?
Royal Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:26 AM   #5426
Dan_Gearhead
n00b

Oddometer: 8

Just joined the world of XR600R:s a couple of weeks ago when this thumper came into my possession. Don't know that much about the bike other than it has a full Sebring system and the front forks and rear damper has recently received new oil. The top end has received a new wiseco piston and the valves has been done about 5000km ago, and that the frame was painted last winter..
Just changed the chain and sprockets and went with the stock 14/48 gearing. Not that pleased with that gearing on the trails so a 13 front sprocket is on the way. I'm a newbee to this since I've spent most of my riding on a gsxr1000, and that is a tad bit different But it sure is fun!

Dan_Gearhead screwed with this post 08-21-2012 at 01:48 PM
Dan_Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:02 PM   #5427
JAB
Unsprung Weight

Oddometer: 1,236
Nice bike there Dan. Be sure to use a Honda front sprocket to protect the splines on the output shaft.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:12 PM   #5428
Alaskajeff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by raytriplej View Post
Nice screen there Alaskajeff, any more pics of it?
Thanks, If you are referring to the windscreen it is a Cee Bailey's sport model. They make a nice product and have different styles to choose from for the XR and many other bikes. Check out their website.
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
2011 Verys ADV
92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
Alaskajeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 01:45 PM   #5429
Dan_Gearhead
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAB View Post
Nice bike there Dan. Be sure to use a Honda front sprocket to protect the splines on the output shaft.
Hmm, bought a JT sprocket, you don't think the splines will like it? It's not that big of an investment so it really doesn't matter if I get another one....the sprockets that are currently on are Primary Drive from rockymountainatvmc...
Dan_Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 01:51 PM   #5430
elsalvadorklr
southern xr rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Club View Post
Apart from the 88 and up XR's having a offset to the left for shock absorber mounting, would an 88 and up shock fit in an 87 frame/prolink?
85-87 xr600 shocks are longer and have beefier mounts so some shaving and or modding has to be done to fit other year models, so the 88 shock for example will be slightly shorter and the bottom mount if im not mistaken will have to be widened...

thing is they are pretty thin as is

cheers

can take measurements on my 88 shock if you want