Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2012, 05:17 PM   #6166
cyclewizard
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsalvadorklr View Post
so I managed to escape for a few seconds yesterday and ride...

I managed to clean out my uni filter too...

while riding on the street and shifting into 5th and giving it some good gas(I was maybe going 75-80mph) I can hear a definite RPM CLIMB pretty substantial...like a slip

except ot only doing it in 5th gear, its the hardest gear to pull...I know so maybe thats why I can only get it to happen in 5th

it only happens on tarmac Im assuming cause if the extra grip...

whats your guys clutch slipping experiences and what clutch kit oem or aftermarket did you go with and does this sound similar to what you guys had going on?

lastly

my plug chops arent showing much different than those pics I posted a bit earlier...it looks a bit lean on the elctrode nice and white with some tan, and TAN on the ground strap...good, maybe a touch lean...?

also my mikuni is being a bit hard to start cold...it fires then dies on me a few a times...almost like a car in the real cold...

I turn the idle knob in a turn to help but it still does this
would this be a sign of being a tad lean on the pilot jet or screw?

trying to get input for mikuni flatslides here...jejeje I would know how to get this sorted on the stocker...reason I say that is the mikuni likes no choke cold or hot...not even a smidge...its pretty much kick and go

thanks

christian
your one step to lean on the pilot , ECB makes a good clutch for you're bike and get some heavy springs for it, you may only need need heavy spring and not the clutch..

Powered by CW-Pistons/cams
Wizard manufacturing....
cyclewizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:56 PM   #6167
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,076
thanks cw

yeah maybe just the springs huh? ebc heavy duty ones?

about the carb on these tms¨´ turning the screw in richens it...at least thats what I read...should I try this first?
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:34 PM   #6168
duxrneet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 666
Mine did the slip thing when I first got it. Needed new clutch springs - became much faster and stopped soiling the oil so quickly.
Old 11-09-2012, 07:23 AM   #6169
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
thanks cw

yeah maybe just the springs huh? ebc heavy duty ones?

about the carb on these tms¨´ turning the screw in richens it...at least thats what I read...should I try this first?

Some HD springs combined with disassembly, inspection and "servicing" the clutch should solve your issues.

By "servicing" I mean clean the friction plates, scuff the steel plates with some 600 grit paper and inspect the housing for grooves where the plates ride(file as needed).

I do this to every bike I own. I do it as part of the uncorking/prepping process. It improves clutch feel/action and eliminates slipping under load at a later date.

Extended clutch pivot lever/arm slightly with the HD springs with works nicely. It reduces the lever load slightly and improves modulation.

I think CW offers the extended clutch pivot lever/arm.

When I can't get HD springs I've added shimmed to the springs a couple times also. Just servicing the clutch also can also make a noticable difference.

I had a XR200 as a shop toy that would glaze the plates every couple of years because the clutch was used like it was a 2 stroke. I would have to service the clutch because it would start to slip at speed under high loads. It would feel basically like a new clutch again.

As for the air screw adjustment, how many turns out is it? It's kind of a loaded question to ask without stating the number of turns. This is basically how I decide if it needs a different jet or not.

MentalGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:33 AM   #6170
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

thanks guys

sooo...when I built the bike from boxes I did the whole file the clutch basket and scuff the plates...

on second rebuild I did the same and put the plates in different order...

this just started happening after doing the cw cam and stuff and maybe the extra juice is starting to make the clutch slip

however Ill try this first

change the oil, jejeje

I put in a whole bottle of stp oil treatment and never used that much before...I only added maybe a 1/3rd of the bottle to help with viscosity on hot days...

maybe the fact that this stuff is soooooooooooooooo damn thick and I was using 20/50 for the test rides and cam breakin maybe just maybe Im slipping because if this

so question for you guys...

since I dont have quick access to heavy duty springs what thickness shims should I Try on the clutch springs?

Im oin my second use if the clutch cover gasket so maybe Im pushing it too much to try and fix this without going all the way and getting a new clutch

lastly has anybody had any luck buying stiffer springs from anywhere else?

lastly this is a question for CW

will one bottle of stp be too much for the oil, or clutch?

thanks
Old 11-09-2012, 07:35 AM   #6171
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalGuru View Post

As for the air screw adjustment, how many turns out is it? It's kind of a loaded question to ask without stating the number of turns. This is basically how I decide if it needs a different jet or not.

yeah true

Im at 3 turns out...I leaned it out a but last time to help with hot starting as its a one kick deal now if I dont get a kickback when hot...BUT that has made my cold starting a bit more longwinded

its usualyy 4 or 5 tries now to get the bike started cold...again no choke ever

thanks bud

correction I was at 2.25 turns out...so I turned the screw in a half turn to richen up a bit...

elsalvadorklr screwed with this post 11-09-2012 at 07:44 AM
Old 11-09-2012, 07:36 AM   #6172
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by duxrneet View Post
Mine did the slip thing when I first got it. Needed new clutch springs - became much faster and stopped soiling the oil so quickly.
thanks bud

did you go heavy duty or just new? oem?

thanks

my oil stays nice and clean till I get to 500miles or so then starts browning pretty quickly after that...I change every 600-800miles anyway so Im good at that...

cheers
Old 11-09-2012, 09:40 AM   #6173
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
yeah true

Im at 3 turns out...I leaned it out a but last time to help with hot starting as its a one kick deal now if I dont get a kickback when hot...BUT that has made my cold starting a bit more longwinded

its usualyy 4 or 5 tries now to get the bike started cold...again no choke ever

thanks bud

correction I was at 2.25 turns out...so I turned the screw in a half turn to richen up a bit...

It sounds like you're pretty close, that 1/2 turn might do it. If not go up one size like suggested.

With that much STP in your oil it will cause the clutch slip easier. I would change the oil hot and not add any STP to it. Be kind of nice to her for about 20 miles, shifting a bunch to work the fresh oil in. That should work the help or solve you're clutch slipping. If not drop the oil and service the clutch to clean up the plates. I would still order some HD springs and service the clutch(if you didn't) when you install them.

MentalGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:36 PM   #6174
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

thanks boss

Ill start with the oil change first and see what happens

then go from there
Old 11-09-2012, 09:02 PM   #6175
Schrauberklaus
***ifyer

Oddometer: 350
I had the same Problem . rebuild the engine with 636 cc , Sportcam an little higher comp. and the just
1000 km old Stock clutch slip in 3,4.5te Gear like hell .

Change oil (Brand) it was new, don"t help.
Change To the stiffest Springs i found , don't help .
Shimm the Springs , don't help much .

Finally the EBC kevlar Clutch Kit arrive , Install it , sliping gone .
Honda XR 280 R Sumo 04 , Honda XR 250 Baja 98
Yamaha Speed MX ( 2 Stroke ) 01 ,CRF250L 13
Schrauberklaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:45 AM   #6176
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

interesting!

the hrc kit for the xr600 back in the old days included an upgraded clutch right? was it just springs or a new pack too?

damn....

well Ill see what works

are all the ebc clutch kits kevlar with heavy duty springs?

thanks guys
Old 11-10-2012, 12:02 PM   #6177
Ghost_Mutant
looking for bionics

Oddometer: 704
Don't know about the springs, but the HRC kit did replace the clutch basket and crank primary gear with the XRL combo. That primary gear difference might be enough to prevent slippage?
Ghost_Mutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:59 PM   #6178
Scampi6000
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Lightest Battery

Alright all,

Was on a while back about adding running lights and extras to my '96 XR6. I finally pulled the finger out, got the bike to a near finished state after a complete rebuild from it's former poor state and then purchased a 200w Ricky stator and reg/rec. Just the last bit of wiring to be tidied up and we should be golden.

Just wanted to pass something past you all. Searched this thread and a few others but wanted to definitively find out,
a: what is the lightest/smallest lead acid Shorai,Yuasa, etc., battery you could get away with or anyone has used? Does not need to turn the engine over so I am guessing it does not have to have much beans like you would need on the 650L.
and
b: I saw a post ages back where someone located their battery at the back, under the rear fender, on the opposite side from the exhaust in a custom made 'case'. I would like to avoid placing it under the saddle and I wont have the room behind the lights up front.

Thanks a mill!!

Scampi6000 screwed with this post 11-10-2012 at 02:08 PM
Scampi6000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 05:27 AM   #6179
nikolic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 477
A few goodones from this weekend:

Old 11-12-2012, 08:01 AM   #6180
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrauberklaus View Post
I had the same Problem . rebuild the engine with 636 cc , Sportcam an little higher comp. and the just
1000 km old Stock clutch slip in 3,4.5te Gear like hell .

Change oil (Brand) it was new, don"t help.
Change To the stiffest Springs i found , don't help .
Shimm the Springs , don't help much .

Finally the EBC kevlar Clutch Kit arrive , Install it , sliping gone .
did you pour 1 bottle of stp or oil additive in the oil? thats the difference between you and me