Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2009, 09:14 PM   #616
OzRoundin'
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunaka
i also need plans for a rear rack
I reckon if you get a welder to get one done it might be cheaper.

Or there's a xr600 rack on ebay ( not sure it is still there but there's always somone selling it) & the xr400 racks will not fit on the 600.

On a separate note, does anybody know what the reserve tank capacity is on the 22l acerbis tank?

OzRoundin' screwed with this post 11-27-2009 at 07:13 AM
OzRoundin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 08:29 AM   #617
gregalman
n00b

Oddometer: 3
96 XR600R Street use?

I have a question that seems odd to me anyway.

I recently bought a 96 XR600R plated with BD kit and with a fresh motor on purchase. 300 miles later it imploded. 4th and 5th gears welded together, piston melted, bore heavily scored, cam bearings shot. a couple of thrust bearings shot. Looks like oil starvation and heat. The mechanic took one look inside and said "you have been riding this on the freeway! these motors can't handle that. The oiling system isn't up to constant high speed riding."

I was riding on the freeway. I bought the bike primarily for commuting and weekend play. I was running 60 to 65 with short bursts to 70 and 75. I chose 65 as a max cruise speed because that's where it felt good. 70 is where it started feeling like it was working a bit. Gearing is stock.

I always thought of the XR as a bulletproof motor and have ridden dirt bikes on and off road for over 45 years. But it spooks me that the mechanic seems to know these bikes really well. I'm financially commited to this bike and also have found it to be one of the most fun mounts I've ever owned. It will be back in service in a couple of weeks and I intend to keep it.

The question is...........
What kind of riding habits should I use when riding the pavement. What kind of riding is really beyond the ability or design intent of this bike? I can't imagine a competent desert bike not being able to handle a couple hundred miles of smooth pavement at 60 mph. But then I seem to remember being wrong once. Can't remember the details though.

I take full responsibility for having taken the PO's word for the oil level and not checking it until it had a couple of hundred miles on it....Du And I really do know better. So other than keeping the correct amount of clean oil in it have I chosen the wrong bike?

Thanks
Greg
gregalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 08:41 AM   #618
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,741
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregalman
I have a question that seems odd to me anyway.

I recently bought a 96 XR600R plated with BD kit and with a fresh motor on purchase. 300 miles later it imploded. 4th and 5th gears welded together, piston melted, bore heavily scored, cam bearings shot. a couple of thrust bearings shot. Looks like oil starvation and heat. The mechanic took one look inside and said "you have been riding this on the freeway! these motors can't handle that. The oiling system isn't up to constant high speed riding."

I was riding on the freeway. I bought the bike primarily for commuting and weekend play. I was running 60 to 65 with short bursts to 70 and 75. I chose 65 as a max cruise speed because that's where it felt good. 70 is where it started feeling like it was working a bit. Gearing is stock.

I always thought of the XR as a bulletproof motor and have ridden dirt bikes on and off road for over 45 years. But it spooks me that the mechanic seems to know these bikes really well. I'm financially commited to this bike and also have found it to be one of the most fun mounts I've ever owned. It will be back in service in a couple of weeks and I intend to keep it.

The question is...........
What kind of riding habits should I use when riding the pavement. What kind of riding is really beyond the ability or design intent of this bike? I can't imagine a competent desert bike not being able to handle a couple hundred miles of smooth pavement at 60 mph. But then I seem to remember being wrong once. Can't remember the details though.

I take full responsibility for having taken the PO's word for the oil level and not checking it until it had a couple of hundred miles on it....Du And I really do know better. So other than keeping the correct amount of clean oil in it have I chosen the wrong bike?

Thanks
Greg
No. Either some o ring inside was missing or it ran out of oil. How much oil came out when you pulled the drain plug??
Old 11-27-2009, 08:43 AM   #619
uranys
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
Quote:
So other than keeping the correct amount of clean oil in it have I chosen the wrong bike?
It's fine on the highway as long as there is oil in it. You should to check the oil level frequently though, even if it's not visibly smoking. I have thousands of trouble free highway miles on my XRL (similar motor).
uranys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 09:16 AM   #620
gregalman
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayjars
No. Either some o ring inside was missing or it ran out of oil. How much oil came out when you pulled the drain plug??
I changed the oil just before detonation and it was very low. Didn't measure it but it was below the dipstick and much more black and ugly than I would have expected for the low mileage.

When I brought this up with the PO he became very defensive so I dropped it and just accept responsibility for my own stupidity. Who's fault it is isn't really important at this point. Just want to make sure that if it was my fault I don't allow it to happen again.

The rebuild is costing me $800 and the shop does warrant the work so I'll just consider this as having paid that much more for the bike and get on with having fun trying to keep the front end down.
gregalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 09:34 AM   #621
Ghost_Mutant
looking for bionics

Oddometer: 704
how does the damage compare?

How does your engine damage compare to this XR400:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...t=heart+attack

I agree with you and others, the desert racing heritage should translate to highway use. Since I want to use my bike for the same purposes, I'm interested in learning how things can go bad.

Quote:
I changed the oil just before detonation and it was very low. Didn't measure it but it was below the dipstick and much more black and ugly than I would have expected for the low mileage.

When I brought this up with the PO he became very defensive so I dropped it and just accept responsibility for my own stupidity. Who's fault it is isn't really important at this point. Just want to make sure that if it was my fault I don't allow it to happen again.

The rebuild is costing me $800 and the shop does warrant the work so I'll just consider this as having paid that much more for the bike and get on with having fun trying to keep the front end down.
Ghost_Mutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 09:41 AM   #622
HeadTrauma
\_(ツ)_/

Oddometer: 1,260
Quote:
The mechanic took one look inside and said "you have been riding this on the freeway! these motors can't handle that. The oiling system isn't up to constant high speed riding."
The above is completely wrong. XRs have a problem when they are run out of oil or are overheated regardless of where or how they are ridden, but what bike isn't like that?. They have no problem running for tens of thousands of miles at highway speed with proper maintenance. If they didn't, then Honda would have never been able to sell the XL600 beyond the 1984 model year and the XR650L would have never happened.

It sounds like the PO ran the bike out of oil and it was ready to come unglued(or was already damaged) when you changed the oil.
HeadTrauma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 06:07 PM   #623
Dino3310
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 672
Quote:

good on ya mate. i had a simular experience but it was just the counter shaft i wasnt told about, so mybad for been a dumb arse and missing it when i went over the bike, PO pleaded ignorance so all i can do is get over it and get on with it , we all get burned some time in our lives, just a shame theres the odd tosser out there thats gives fellow bikers a lemon with out telling them.
rant over
Dino3310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 07:24 PM   #624
trackhead
Utard Wankster

Oddometer: 2,754
I'm just about done rebuilding my XR600r, just waiting on the valve/cylinder work. I've read some posts about folks changing out the cam chain during rebuilds.

What is the consensus on this? I have no reason to believe that mine is about to fail, but are people just doing this because of the "while you're there" concept?
trackhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 09:13 PM   #625
Dino3310
Studly Adventurer

if i had more $$$$$ i'd do it while shes apart.
Old 11-28-2009, 09:38 PM   #626
JAB
Unsprung Weight

Oddometer: 1,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackhead
I'm just about done rebuilding my XR600r, just waiting on the valve/cylinder work. I've read some posts about folks changing out the cam chain during rebuilds.

What is the consensus on this? I have no reason to believe that mine is about to fail, but are people just doing this because of the "while you're there" concept?
The cam chain and tensioner is a wear item on a 600r that gets ignored until it's too late. This is not a weak link in this motor, but it does need attention.
If you're inside, change it unless you know it has been done. You know these motors are near bomb-proof, why take chances. Another way to look at it is, it is cheaper than fixing a catastophic failure.

JAB screwed with this post 11-28-2009 at 10:16 PM
JAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 09:46 PM   #627
trackhead
Utard Wankster

Oddometer: 2,754
^^^Thanks for the input. Few more bucks won't hurt that much.
trackhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 10:10 PM   #628
h2omoto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Just thought I would post some pics of my 1986 XR. This bike has a long history with me. My twin brother got the bike first. We drove somewhere into south Alabama to get it. He traded a Yamaha 750 Maxium even for it about 10 years ago. The bike hung around for a couple of years and I tried to buy it off of my brother almost every day. Well it never happened. He ended up trading the XR off for some clapped out Bronco and $500 boot. The guy never paid the $500 boot so my brother and I went to repo the bike. When we got the bike it was, well rode hard and put up wet. I tried again to buy the bike off my brother and he just would not sale it to me. (what an a-hole). He ended up saling the bike to a good friend of mine for $800. I did not think I would ever get a chance at the bike again...

It was almost two years later my friend called me out of the blue one day and said "Do you remember that old XR". I said why heck yeah I do. He said well I am done with it if you want it I said I would give you first shot at it if I ever sold it. Well now is your shot. I said to myself finally I my get to buy that old XR. We talked for a little bit and I bought the XR and a 1974 GT380 for $300. Whoo...

Now you can probably imagine what kind of shape the XR was in. To date I have replaced the following...

Crankshaft, all lower end bearings, big bore piston (because I had to), output shaft in the transmission (sprocket was welded to it ), all new gears in transmission, complete gasket kit with seals, four new valves, all new guides, carbs have been totally redone, all new cables and hardware.

The XR is one of those love hate relationships. I love my XR and this thread as well...

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg6/ocoeeboyz/XR.jpg
http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/g...eeboyz/xr1.jpg
h2omoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 10:23 PM   #629
Dino3310
Studly Adventurer

awe shit mate that almost brought a tear to my eye .... a true love story.....

but in all seriousness mate well done thats really cool
Old 12-01-2009, 11:34 PM   #630
Dino3310
Studly Adventurer

Can anyone tell me, Would a counter sprocket Retainer off a XR400(or any other bike) fit the mighty XR600 ?
i want to ride this coming weekend but have got a 2week wait on the one's ive ordered.
cheers
Dino