Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2012, 12:37 PM   #6286
Alaskajeff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,068
WOW I thought I had spaghetti under my seat!! I've got the same box too. I believe it's part of the dual sport lighting kit. Not sure what it does? Maybe a rectifier??
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
2011 Verys ADV
92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
Alaskajeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:09 PM   #6287
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbi69 View Post
hey guys i need your help for some reason my headlight and taillight arnt getting power, and ive checked through all the wiring, all connections good.

im not sure which stator this bike has, because it has three wires coming from it. one goes to the cdi and coil.
and the other two go to the lighting. i can unplug them and the bike continues to run. and they both put out 12 - 16 volts at idle.

is this an aftermarket stator? or a rewound stock stator? doesnt the stock one only have two legs? ignition, and one lighting?

anyways i found this box under the seat that is getting 16 volts going into it, straight from the stator, but not that much coming out. power goes in th rough the yellow wire 12v + and about 8 volts comes out the orange wire, and 0 on the red wire. wtf is this thing?

how does the airfilter even breathe???????????????????' does that mess just sit like that ontop of the hole or have you unwound all of tha crap?

geeeeeeeeeeeeeeeze
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:12 PM   #6288
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikolic View Post

THAT

was hilarious but kudos to you for trying man...you have some good riding skills...but that was beyond hilarious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-27-2012, 04:37 PM   #6289
2manyrides
shifty charactor

Oddometer: 1,583
Quote:
hey guys i need your help for some reason...

doesnt the stock one only have two legs? ignition, and one lighting?

anyways i found this box under the seat that is getting 16 volts going into it, straight from the stator, but not that much coming out. power goes in th rough the yellow wire 12v + and about 8 volts comes out the orange wire, and 0 on the red wire. wtf is this thing?
Looks like the set-up on mine...an early 90's baja designs...

If I remember correctly one of the 3 isn't hooked to anything. Think my colors differ...

And...wtf is this thing?
The headlight relay...
Bulb lights only after engine runs.

the guy I got my bike from gave up the old B/D install pamphlet which goes through just about all the install/wires/trouble shooting...ect.

Let me know if you need to see how that rats nest packs in a little more tidy. Although I worry about having one "frey" as it vibrates away against the others, packed in down tight along the channels in the box.

and here's my channel...
http://www.youtube.com/user/2manyrides?feature=mhsn#p/u
2manyrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:52 PM   #6290
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsalvadorklr View Post
THAT

was hilarious but kudos to you for trying man...you have some good riding skills...but that was beyond hilarious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Part 2 was funny, but shit happens. I'd try it.

Part 1 looks like it went better.

MentalGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:58 PM   #6291
Ghost_Mutant
looking for bionics

Oddometer: 704
Quote:
im not sure which stator this bike has, because it has three wires coming from it. one goes to the cdi and coil.
and the other two go to the lighting. i can unplug them and the bike continues to run. and they both put out 12 - 16 volts at idle.

is this an aftermarket stator? or a rewound stock stator? doesnt the stock one only have two legs? ignition, and one lighting?

I think we need more info on which wire is which in your setup to be more helpful

Here is a photo of my old Baja Designs DS kit:

On my stator there was only two wires from Honda. To do the AC to DC conversion for the lighting coil, a third wire was added by the previous owner or whomever put the Baja Designs kit in. That third wire isolated the lighting coil from ground. So the pair of wires from the lighting coil goes directly to the rectifier regulator (yellow pair in my photo).

The output of the rectifier regulator is 12 V DC and it should be connected to a battery somewhere. Where is yours? I don't think the rect/reg will work without a battery or capacitor in the circuit.

The WTF box looks to be the FET switch for the headlight like 22manyrides suggested. Keeps the battery from being drained by the headlight when the engine isn't running and allows the taillight to stay on for the required duration to meet the regulations.

Yeah its hard to fit all this stuff on top of the filter box. I want to move my components to a neat spot under the headlight and open up the air box some more.

22manyrides, if you have the original documents for the Baja kit, I'd sure like to know if the FET switch has a maximum current rating listed someplace.
Ghost_Mutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:17 PM   #6292
kirbi69
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 219
well i got my lights working somehow :S lol. i connected two wires under the headlight together, and everything came on!

but if i unplug any one of the three wires going into / out of that "wtf" box, my lights turn off. and im thinking it is outputting DC voltage, because my taillight is LED. im so damn confused :S
Old 11-27-2012, 08:35 PM   #6293
Ghost_Mutant
looking for bionics

Oddometer: 704
kirbi,

Here is what I think you should have on that FET switch:

Yellow wire: connected to either of the lighting coil wires from the stator, this turns on the FET switch when the engine is running. Think of it like a relay, allowing the headlight to be powered by the 12 V battery. This is the control (on/off) line.

Red wire: connected to the battery and the rectifier/regulator 12 V DC output. Yes the Baja Designs kit with the FET ran the headlight on the 12 V circuit with all the other lights. Nothing was AC anymore with this setup.

Orange wire: connected to the headlight providing power only when the FET was turned on by the running engine (via the yellow wire).

If your taillight is also being supplied by the FET switch, then that is a different wiring scheme from the old Baja Designs kit. The taillight is supposed to be supplied by the main power switch along with everything else besides the headlight.

Does that help?

Here is the Baja Design wiring diagram that I use:
Ghost_Mutant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:13 PM   #6294
nikolic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by MentalGuru View Post
Part 2 was funny, but shit happens. I'd try it.

Part 1 looks like it went better.

Whats the worste that could happend? Think I'll try again
Old 11-28-2012, 03:04 AM   #6295
MentalGuru
Crazy Diamond

Oddometer: 726
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikolic View Post
Whats the worste that could happend? Think I'll try again
Just remember the camera...

MentalGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:01 AM   #6296
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

so my hardstarting and kickback is NOT related to too tight valves....

they were at a nice loose .10mm or more like .11 just like I left them

so this means more JETTING for me to check

now

I have my oem carb back on...it has a 62 in there as we speak

I have a 65 and a 60 to play with...maybe even a 68 cant remember

if any of yous guys have experience with getting rid oif kickback or the occasional backfoire when staryting her up please let me know what worked for you...

Im assuming jetting a bit rich but dont want to have hot start issues like I had before...

man what a compromise!

PS. this is with cws HRC cam if that matters any...

thanks
Old 11-28-2012, 11:16 AM   #6297
2manyrides
shifty charactor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost_Mutant View Post
22manyrides, if you have the original documents for the Baja kit, I'd sure like to know if the FET switch has a maximum current rating listed someplace.
It's not that comprehensive if my memory serves...
But I can look into that today...
Stand by

and here's my channel...
Old 11-28-2012, 12:57 PM   #6298
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

well my bike starts a bit better but not restarts...

I replaced the resistor in the new plug cap I ordered wih a steel rod...and adjusted the idle in between low and high after riding around

still I get kickback on restarts

also do any of your guys bikes make a weird cracking noise like hot metal creaking after the bike shuts down? I get these weird clack...clunk noises for about 15 minutes after the hike has been running

in fact its doing it now

makes no sense! would an overhot engine do this? oil temp is 210 after ride...

thanks

never ends with me does it

damn bike
Old 11-28-2012, 02:11 PM   #6299
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

anyone? bike will not restart...

only after it cools down a bit...

when this happened befiore it was due to a rich pilot...BUT dont know...just seems off

valves are in spec
carb has no intake leaks...

ive replaced all pertinent parts in the carb related to issue like the acv, float valve...needle...jets...gaskets etc...

anybody have an idea of what the hrc cam would need pilot jet wise? it obviously needs something different as when I took this carb off it started fine cold and hot...

sorry to repeat myself so much but Im so tired of alwasy fiddling with the bike instead of hopping on it and just go....

when the bike runs however it rips...maybe play with the needle a bit but it rips...
Old 11-28-2012, 03:08 PM   #6300
2manyrides
shifty charactor

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsalvadorklr View Post
anyone?
only after it cools down a bit...

sorry to repeat myself so much but Im so tired of alwasy fiddling with the bike instead of hopping on it and just go....

when the bike runs however it rips...maybe play with the needle a bit but it rips...
Although I have no answers for the 88xr I do feel re-enforced about mods.
The reason I bought honda is longevity. Sure hop ups make things go faster but also confuse the issue when there is something wrong.
I have many, many miles/hours on the 82 500 and 92 600 all without any fussing.
Just sits there ready to ride...

Mods, hop ups ect =

stock + cared for =

As well, I get the impression that Christian really takes his bike to the limits while riding. I have not found the stock bike to be holding me back. In fact, it's what has kept me from going overboard. Remember I come from a long history of old machines that can't do what an XR can...
So having 600 power, long travel and disc brakes is the tits!

Wish I could help...
But I'm afraid you know more what to do than me...

and here's my channel...