Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2012, 09:47 AM   #6331
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbi69 View Post
if i decided to buy a new bike.... would i enjoy the crf250l. or a new xr650l more? or should i wait a year or two and see if honda puts out any new bigger bike. like a crf 450l or a crf 650l?? i dont think a crf250l has the suspension I
use to on a xr600r. :s
o oh? what? are you planning on getting rid of your xr6?

crf230l are lame stock but can be made into awesome TRIAL like TRAIL BIKES...catch my drift? crf150 usd forks and suspension and a bigger bore piston make that bike pretty decent, there is a guy on tt with a sub 200lb crf...

but apparently honda has come out with the crf250l with those mods already but porkier and more dualsporty as of 2013

so wait?

lastly I say no to the xr650l it will be so similar to what you already have and less performing stock and heavier...but you gain a nice starter which I would love! jajaja
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:16 AM   #6332
kirbi69
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 219
no. ill never get rid of my xr600... but i do want an electric start bike that is new... so i wont have to mess with it for a long time. just get on and ride. i dont do any jumping or any thing. but i like to be able to go anywhere. dirt/ street and highway.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:30 PM   #6333
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

you sticking with honda? all you want is an electric start?

hmmmmmmmmmm
Old 12-03-2012, 02:51 PM   #6334
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,630
Get an xr650l motor and send it to cycle wizard. You won't get a newer better built motor, you'll have estart and a bad ass motor.
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:19 PM   #6335
T4EaterJonny
Not too hip...

Oddometer: 58
hello! I would like to beat a dead horse. I live in California at 785 feet elevation with my 1994 xr600r with stock jets. Omni filter and aftermarket pipe. What do you think about running a 60/160 ?
http://www.bikebandit.com/search?q=160+main+honda i see four different part numbers. I read the stock jets are lean as it is, and having a free flowing pipe and intake isn't going to help it. The bike runs like a top otherwise! Carb was spotless inside when i took it apart to see what jets were in it.
T4EaterJonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:06 AM   #6336
motomike14
Thumper Crusader

Oddometer: 1,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbi69 View Post
if i decided to buy a new bike.... would i enjoy the crf250l. or a new xr650l more? or should i wait a year or two and see if honda puts out any new bigger bike. like a crf 450l or a crf 650l?? i dont think a crf250l has the suspension I
use to on a xr600r. :s
The CRF250L is cool to look at, but they are overweight and underpowered. You would not be very happy with it, coming off a 600. I rode a WR250R a while back, and while it was somewhat light/nimble, I could never see using it for any extended range dual sporting.

Like someone mentioned, you'd probably be better off with a 650L, then performing some mods to it. There are several documented builds on here and on TT. In the end, depends on what you want; a fire-breathing single track bike, or something that is a little more relaxed for all around dual sporting.

I drink the koolaid too...just not the orange kind.
motomike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:23 AM   #6337
motomike14
Thumper Crusader

Oddometer: 1,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsalvadorklr View Post
ON THAT NOTE..........................

wtf is going on now

so I went to test ride my oem carb...

first WOT run with plug already in the bike top speed 84mph. The plug came out looking perfect though nice and light tan

during ride down to the flats where I test my bike at sea level I notice my idle has a tendency to hang so Im thinking still lean and I take not of this

after first wot run I decide to adjust idle too...out a half turn so Im at 2 turns out...bike restarts nicely twice this way

second WOT run I decide to put the new dpr8 plug in for a real plug chop this with the 152 main. and HOLY SHIT IS IT WHITE! top speed 90mph only ran wot for a mile.

I could not pull top speed or 5th to its max potential, I noticed this before too on the old plug so great.felt like I was yanking on the throttle and it struggled.

I have my pack of jets ready to go, plop in a 155ab jet aka precision engineering jet and wham another pass for a mile or so and my top speed is now 93mph

ok we are getting somewhere...

then I restart the bike and all is good..the bike restarts nicely and no kickback and there is no lean cough and die issue either so I finally decide to do ONE last WOT plug chop

for almost 45 seconds...nice and long at full speed

my top speed is no 98mph same as the mikuni

I look at the plug and is has some chocolate colour to it....just on the strap...finally some color so I say well this is good enough and start the ride back up the hill to my house

I detour on some dirt and ride with great fun about 30 minutes...

I notice at this time that the bike responds and feels great really good acceleration no flats spots and really revvy...

so I come back home all happy and cheerful and check the oil

in order to do this I let the bike idle down for a minute or so and let it sit upright while it idles...

oil is at full so great....check that off the list

THEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEN

HERE COMES THE KICK TO THE BALLS

I take out the plug for a final looksy just to confirm my seat of the pants jetting and plug chopping and what do I find

A BLACK FUCKIN sooty mess of a new plug...........
so

now what peeps?

did the minute long idle do this and why would half a turn out do this

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOR

is my midrange way fat(where I rode most of the 30minute hill ride up the mountain at) obviously not WOT

to take notice is that my needle is in the second to leanest clip

so one more to go and Im all lean

that just cant be right can it?

please save me folks!
Four strokes are finicky little animals. As previously mentioned, once you throw an updated cam and other things at it, it tends to just multiply those problems. I have a TT500 with a bonkers set up motor (cam, valve springs, piston, rod, etc.), and it too has the same kind of issues. However, I hit a sweet spot with it, and while the plug is always a little dark, I've learned to live with it.

You have to find a medium between going OCD on every detail and just letting some things go for the sake of just riding the damn thing. My XR6 has a pipe/air filter and new stator, and it too always have a pinch of black color to the plug. But, it starts hot first kick every time (and that's in the sweatbox of Florida) and it never skips a beat. So, I stopped caring the plug had that black tinge and just ride it as it is. Air cooled four strokes never run totally efficient, unless you have tons of $$$ and a creative imagination.

I drink the koolaid too...just not the orange kind.
motomike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:55 AM   #6338
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

jeje thanks moto...you are right on the ocd thing...I have that with this bike..

just trying to get better performance out of it thats all

relating to mods all I have is an hrc cam which might be too big for the stock compression(I decided I didnt want high comp for reasons related to gas quality, reliability, stalling and hot starting issues) Im decent now on starting cold and hot now so its only needle tuning from now

but thanks again folks for the ideas

christian
Old 12-04-2012, 01:23 PM   #6339
Tachedoutoffroad
Mr. Parrish

Oddometer: 609
My 600 was mad at me because i call it my "street" bike so I went and rode it in the rain on some rolling powerlines

Support your local know-it-all gear guy and give your money to Brian at https://www.atomic-moto.com/

Tachedoutoffroad screwed with this post 12-04-2012 at 01:37 PM
Tachedoutoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:36 PM   #6340
Alaskajeff
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by T4EaterJonny View Post
hello! I would like to beat a dead horse. I live in California at 785 feet elevation with my 1994 xr600r with stock jets. Omni filter and aftermarket pipe. What do you think about running a 60/160 ?
http://www.bikebandit.com/search?q=160+main+honda i see four different part numbers. I read the stock jets are lean as it is, and having a free flowing pipe and intake isn't going to help it. The bike runs like a top otherwise! Carb was spotless inside when i took it apart to see what jets were in it.
If it aint broke........... RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
2011 Verys ADV
92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
Alaskajeff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:05 PM   #6341
error cooled
anything but asphalt

Oddometer: 1,129
My muffler is on the way out on my 88. Any have a good stock muffler from a 88,89 or 90 they would part with? These are unique in that they take the stainless steel dual headers.

Let me know! Thanks
error cooled is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:43 PM   #6342
Alaskajeff
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by error cooled View Post
My muffler is on the way out on my 88. Any have a good stock muffler from a 88,89 or 90 they would part with? These are unique in that they take the stainless steel dual headers.

Let me know! Thanks
Just get a new header and then you can have MANY different options......LIKE THIS nice unit by DG

It just took a bit of cutting, welding and $20 at a local muffler shop I was on the road.
2011 Verys ADV
Old 12-05-2012, 06:29 AM   #6343
Tachedoutoffroad
Mr. Parrish

Oddometer: 609
Could you tell seat-of-the-pants hp increase with header and pipe?

---well, an incres that was worth the cost?
Support your local know-it-all gear guy and give your money to Brian at https://www.atomic-moto.com/
Tachedoutoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:15 AM   #6344
Alaskajeff
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachedoutoffroad View Post
Could you tell seat-of-the-pants hp increase with header and pipe?

---well, an incres that was worth the cost?
No idea......It had the header and a Supertrapp on it when I got it. Don't know what stock felt like, sorry. But I know it pulls my 200lbs around just fine
2011 Verys ADV
Old 12-05-2012, 09:59 AM   #6345
T4EaterJonny
Not too hip...

Oddometer: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskajeff View Post
If it aint broke........... RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT
I do love that rule... You don't know how many times i've caused a problem dealing with modifying my cars. However, i have to have the air screw about three turns out to run well which i read means its too lean. The pipe is pretty loud, but not obnoxious. You can poke the spark arrestor with a pencil but for the most part its straight through.
T4EaterJonny is offline   Reply With Quote