User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2013, 06:40 AM   #6766
motomike14
Thumper Crusader

Oddometer: 1,666
Got mine out this past weekend for a little fun

I drink the koolaid too...just not the orange kind.
motomike14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:51 AM   #6767
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,076
so funny story...I am getting too used to riding alone...

what the hell is all this dirt and rocks thrown at my face while riding

took out a friend and took turns taking the lead and wtf man? guy douched me all over punk!

jajajaja

it was fun switching places and stuff...he was on a yamaha wr250f, nice little bikes and hated him for the estart...but good news is my tm is kicking ass on the starting department

nice and hot it was 1 kick cycle through...not bad at all..

anywhoo

just thought id share my experience, not least of which the guy got bored as hell on my normal trails as all everyone likes down here is stupid enduro...

I dont get it! I did give him hell on the street connections as he could only hit like 70mph, bareley! what a pussy! jajajajajajajajajajajajajaja

peace
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:38 PM   #6768
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by T4EaterJonny View Post
Had trouble posting... had to change the message board design...? weird. The post reply button was missing. Anyways... i've been looking for a small driver rear sprocket and the smallest I can find by the major brands are 45t. Any other bike I should be cross-referencing? I'm going with 15t/43t or 15/41. I forgot how it works- two both even numbers are bad? or one odd and one even is bad?
I have a Vortex 40 in aluminum and another 40 in steel. Dont remember where I got the steel one. Fritzcoinc has an identical sprocket in one of his pix , maybe he can help. The one with the dual holes.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:23 PM   #6769
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,507
Was it the first goof? That used the same sprocket?
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 05:26 PM   #6770
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
Was it the first goof? That used the same sprocket?
????
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:46 AM   #6771
RoostMaster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 216
Hey Alaskajeff,
nice rear flip up jerry holder/rack, how many litres does she hold? I adapted a rear Safari tank off a WR450 which is 5 litres. I welded sheet metal gussets in ALL the rear frame joins to as they crack here easy. I'd suggest checking the static sag after your beast is laden...finished pics please.

Roost.
RoostMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:38 AM   #6772
Alaskajeff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoostMaster View Post
Hey Alaskajeff,
nice rear flip up jerry holder/rack, how many litres does she hold? I adapted a rear Safari tank off a WR450 which is 5 litres. I welded sheet metal gussets in ALL the rear frame joins to as they crack here easy. I'd suggest checking the static sag after your beast is laden...finished pics please.

Roost.
Roost, It's a 1.5 US Gallon (about 5.7L) container. And I used it lats season on a ride, just mounted in a different configuration with a bit more as well and it all worked out fine. I've got the shock spring cranked down about as far as it will go!

That was arriving home after 1100 miles.
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
2011 Verys ADV
92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
Alaskajeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 06:29 AM   #6773
deejay_xr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskajeff View Post
arriving home after 1100 miles.
1100 miles, holy butt-numbness Batman !
Old 02-08-2013, 02:20 PM   #6774
nikolic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 476
Decided to try an old lady on some real deal trail. A few frends and I will go out on a "King of the hill tournament" in Romania this year, and I hope I'll be able to putt the old XR back to life by the april the 5th. Hope I canmake the TM40
work well. My rings were fried, but piston and the cylinder seam OK. Head neads some work too... Here's some pictures:

What do you think? I'm a bit confused about the middle bearing on the cam-shaft, cam has bean replaced before I bought it, and the head was busted, and no damage was done to the new one. Can I run it without this?
Old 02-08-2013, 02:29 PM   #6775
Royal Club
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikolic View Post
Decided to try an old lady on some real deal trail. A few frends and I will go out on a "King of the hill tournament" in Romania this year, and I hope I'll be able to putt the old XR back to life by the april the 5th. Hope I canmake the TM40
work well. My rings were fried, but piston and the cylinder seam OK. Head neads some work too... Here's some pictures:

What do you think? I'm a bit confused about the middle bearing on the cam-shaft, cam has bean replaced before I bought it, and the head was busted, and no damage was done to the new one. Can I run it without this?
i dont see a picture?
Royal Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:20 PM   #6776
deejay_xr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikolic View Post

Hey Nikolic,

That center cam journal doesn´t look pretty, it´s always that one that bites the dust.
How does it feel when you run your fingernail through it? Any close-up photos?

How are your rocker lobes, are they flattened out?

If you think the piston and bore are still good to go, they probably are. You can have the piston checked out and measured at a shop to be sure if you want. Not just to check the size, but also to see if the shape is still good. Sometimes after a while either the intake or exhaust side, I forget which one, can wear down and the piston loses it's shape.
If you just replace the rings you still need to break them in for a couple 100 km's

deejay_xr screwed with this post 02-08-2013 at 03:26 PM
deejay_xr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:25 PM   #6777
Royal Club
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
Are there any differences between footpegs within the XR600's? I see a lot of pegs on ebay for 1989 and onward buildyears, but hardly any pegs for pre 89 (87 for me..) models..
Royal Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:51 PM   #6778
T4EaterJonny
Not too hip...

Oddometer: 63
Found a 43T steel sprocket. Bike is going to be 15/43. If i have to take it on the highway I'll just pokey-joe it in the slow lane. I'll *make* my brother on his KLR ride slow with me. I think his bike is 15/43 and turns 4400 rpms at 65 according to gearing commander. My bike will be reving at 4,1xx. I'll be happy. I don't plan to ride it more than 40 miles on highway to get somewhere. Always paranoid about the oil consumption thing. I check it after every ride, even my short jaunts around town.
Old 02-08-2013, 03:54 PM   #6779
lookfar
from the land of OZ

Oddometer: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Club View Post
Are there any differences between footpegs within the XR600's? I see a lot of pegs on ebay for 1989 and onward buildyears, but hardly any pegs for pre 89 (87 for me..) models..
How about these??
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Honda-XR6...item2325b1a394

I think that the pegs themselves might be the same for all years, but the way that they mount to the frame differs.
I have an '88, and the pegs mount differently than the '87.
1985 XL250R
1985 XL600R 1988 XR600
lookfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:57 PM   #6780
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Club View Post
my 88´s were tiny so steve sent me some nice xrl ones...cheap upgrade

I made some stainless ones for my klr650 a while ago...nice and big!

I thought about maybe having some made and sending them around the globe to all you nice fellas! jajajaja
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote