User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2013, 05:05 PM   #6931
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,651
Christian,

Who do you know heading your way? I have a header for you. Two or three if need be.

Man your tough on that poor bike.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:15 PM   #6932
elsalvadorklr
southern xr rider

Oddometer: 4,151
back to basics!

anyone notice the difference?

check it out dudes:

elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:51 PM   #6933
Captain115
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsalvadorklr View Post
anyone notice the difference?

check it out dudes:
Yeahhhhh bringing back the twin headers. Loving it! I'm guessing you haven't run it like that since they're still that lovely polished silver colour and not the bronze/gold that mine have become after a few heat cycles. Won't your jetting be a little rich now though?

Also, welcome back to using the heavy stock muffler. I despise it more and more each day. Though I may have the opportunity to pick up a nice little Staintune replacement for it, we'll see.
Captain115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:07 PM   #6934
elsalvadorklr
southern xr rider

mythbuster action right here

stock oem 88 muffler 7.5 pounds

fmf powercore 7.4

stainless headers weigh maybe 1.5 pounds...xrl headers 2.5

so I actually LOST weight

ps. I did run them for about 15 minutes after two heat cycles at idle

I had a cherry glow at the exhaust ports on the headers after the ride

and jetting wise you are right if using the stock carb and jetting

but I have a mikuni FLATSLIDE BABY(I will play around with jetting however)

btw I did lose some power, but Im enjoying the hell out of the quietness and also the sound of the engine

so who knew?
Old 02-18-2013, 07:10 PM   #6935
elsalvadorklr
southern xr rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain115 View Post
Yeahhhhh bringing back the twin headers. Loving it! I'm guessing you haven't run it like that since they're still that lovely polished silver colour and not the bronze/gold that mine have become after a few heat cycles. Won't your jetting be a little rich now though?

Also, welcome back to using the heavy stock muffler. I despise it more and more each day. Though I may have the opportunity to pick up a nice little Staintune replacement for it, we'll see.
id be VERY INTERESTED in seing pics of that staintune if you do get it

if you want to lust look on ebay,

GPR tri oval made in ITALY

bling bling for our bikes

only $400! jajjaajaja
Old 02-18-2013, 07:12 PM   #6936
elsalvadorklr
southern xr rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
Christian,

Who do you know heading your way? I have a header for you. Two or three if need be.

Man your tough on that poor bike.
FIXT!

but a million thanks for the offer

well see what happens after my ride tomorrow
Old 02-18-2013, 07:28 PM   #6937
Captain115
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
Quote:

fmf powercore 7.4
Wow, I would not have guessed that! I've only carried the stock muffler around for painting, cleaning purposes etc and I found it pretty damn heavy but I guess I was imagining the aftermarket pipes to be made of happy thoughts and fairy dust and weigh nothing at all, even though clearly they are still a big chunk of metal. Well there goes that incorrect thought!

Quote:
id be VERY INTERESTED in seing pics of that staintune if you do get it

if you want to lust look on ebay,

GPR tri oval made in ITALY

bling bling for our bikes

only $400! jajjaajaja
Yeah I've noticed them actually but haven't heard much about the company especially on the XR's (infact I don't even remember seeing someone have one on an XR). I would like to point out that $400 is a very reasonable price for a muffler over here, I was told that Staintune can supply me with a new muffler for my twin headers for $640 AUD (about $660 US).

But then again I can't convince myself to drop that much cash on a 24 year old dirt bike...well not yet anyway.
Captain115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:52 PM   #6938
elsalvadorklr
southern xr rider

dayum! I know the aussie dolar is string but wtf? when did they up their prices so much? 660 is nuts for just the muffler or are we talking full?

yeah Im waiting till someone actually uses the gpr tri oval

for now im STOCK or will maybe modify that fmf for a coupler

doubt it though

I have someone that wants to buy it for $150 so thats not such a price loss on it when I bought it and imported it down here

well see

Ill have to play with jetting for sure dont get me wrong about that..I had a nice little back pop when shutting her down after the ride which is not normal
Old 02-18-2013, 08:29 PM   #6939
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,651
Staintune Exhaust

You guys don't even want to guess how much the Staintune exhaust system was for my 1991 BMR R100gs. Two header pipes, cross over pipe, mid pipe collector and muffler. YAHOOOOOOOOOO

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:24 PM   #6940
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 641
Quote:
yeah yeah I know, thanks so much for the info,,

you know I was about to pm you with a specific question on your powerbomb header...I know you like them...

the question was how close does the BOMB part sit to the oil pipe on the oil feed to the head?

also my bike finally has some engine mods...still stock comp, the flatslide and HEADER might be a good pairing NOW...

Im still a firm beleiver that HEADERS mean nothing on a stock bike...really its THE LAST thing to mod always...

so, sierra can you go by your mod list again and detail performance gains with each? jejejejeje

PS. CAPTAIN hell yeah...I need to go back to being an original 88 bike..that couple issue I justcant seem to find someone that can say really yes I can do it and not sell me a peice of crap turd steel... seriously I went to a pro muffler shop once and said hey I need a coupler...they came back with some GALVANIZED thick as hell pipe and said yeah we can do it....

I SLOWLY walked away...slowly....making sure my I never showed them my back as I felt the stare of DEATH....jajajaja
You're a funny guy Christian
The bomb part of the powerbomb header is VERY close to the oil line.....if you don't make sure and position the exhaust well before you tighten things up it could possibly touch it. I positioned the header carefully, so there's a safe gap now....but thats definately something you need to watch out for

And as far as performance, in the order of difference made...honestly, changing from the molasses thick 20-50 conventional to the 10-40 full syn made the most difference in the colder weather, I'm sure it would have been less in the summer heat, the 14 tooth front sprocket made the next biggest difference, and the header and cut airbox made the least of those 3. The header and cut airbox made a noticeable diff, but because I was still running the thick azz 20-50 on a cold day for the test ride, the diff wasn't all that big. I think part of the difference the 10-40 oil made was also the header and cut airbox working better with the much freer flowing oil.

Since it wasn't a clear cut test , I honestly can't say how much a header will add to performance for you, all I can say is the combination of things made a huge difference.....so I'm glad I did them all
I'm hoping the FCR makes it even better

I honestly do think the header would make enough diff with your other mods to make you happy tho, in looks, durability, and performance.....but if it costs you twice what we pay in the U.S. I don't think it would be worth it.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:43 PM   #6941
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Quote:

fmf powercore 7.4

stainless headers weigh maybe 1.5 pounds...xrl headers 2.5

so I actually LOST weight

ps. I did run them for about 15 minutes after two heat cycles at idle

I had a cherry glow at the exhaust ports on the headers after the ride

and jetting wise you are right if using the stock carb and jetting

but I have a mikuni FLATSLIDE BABY(I will play around with jetting however)

btw I did lose some power, but Im enjoying the hell out of the quietness and also the sound of the engine

so who knew?
Those twin pipes look sweet Christian.....why haven't you ran them sooner instead of fighting the steel stockers? And are you saying you lost some low end.....or top end with them? Were you running the same muffler with stock (now holed) header?

They look awesome, open up that muffler if you haven't already and run those....no need to spend more money on yet another set of headers

The bike looks awesome
Old 02-18-2013, 11:49 PM   #6942
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain115 View Post
Wow, I would not have guessed that! I've only carried the stock muffler around for painting, cleaning purposes etc and I found it pretty damn heavy but I guess I was imagining the aftermarket pipes to be made of happy thoughts and fairy dust and weigh nothing at all, even though clearly they are still a big chunk of metal. Well there goes that incorrect thought!

Yeah I've noticed them actually but haven't heard much about the company especially on the XR's (infact I don't even remember seeing someone have one on an XR). I would like to point out that $400 is a very reasonable price for a muffler over here, I was told that Staintune can supply me with a new muffler for my twin headers for $640 AUD (about $660 US).

But then again I can't convince myself to drop that much cash on a 24 year old dirt bike...well not yet anyway.
Quote:
dayum! I know the aussie dolar is string but wtf? when did they up their prices so much? 660 is nuts for just the muffler or are we talking full?

yeah Im waiting till someone actually uses the gpr tri oval

for now im STOCK or will maybe modify that fmf for a coupler

doubt it though

I have someone that wants to buy it for $150 so thats not such a price loss on it when I bought it and imported it down here

well see

Ill have to play with jetting for sure dont get me wrong about that..I had a nice little back pop when shutting her down after the ride which is not normal
All I can say is I can't believe some of the prices you guys have to pay...if I had to pay that much for my mods I wouldn't have any
Old 02-19-2013, 12:22 AM   #6943
elsalvadorklr
southern xr rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra Thumper View Post
Those twin pipes look sweet Christian.....why haven't you ran them sooner instead of fighting the steel stockers? And are you saying you lost some low end.....or top end with them? Were you running the same muffler with stock (now holed) header?

They look awesome, open up that muffler if you haven't already and run those....no need to spend more money on yet another set of headers

The bike looks awesome
thanks}}Im going to keep the twin headers I had restored

the muffler is oem, baffle removed...the stuff and rust that blurped out the first few minutes was amazing...its been sitting for 2 years

I was saving up for a dual header muffler...I restored those pipes a year ago almost...perfect and rewelded at the flanges on the OUTSIDE s they are nice and smooth inside...

they flow great at wot, hence the big ass 165 main the stock carb came with....however lean on the pilot and I definetly need to tune the flatslide for it...

muffler is temporary it has some nice holes in it...but I painted it nicely and it will last oh what 2 months? enough for me to scrounge the nets for a dual header exhaust and sell my fmf

at least thats the plan

PS. yes I love he hell out of my restored stainless headers...you see the pic of the hole I had in the xrl header???????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????'

wtf times a million
Old 02-19-2013, 06:14 AM   #6944
deejay_xr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
There must be a shop somewhere around where you could cheaply have a 2 into 1 collector made, to mate your dual headers and your single pipe Powercore isnt there?

I thought Latin America was known for its ghetto engineering ...

Old 02-19-2013, 10:08 AM   #6945
elsalvadorklr
southern xr rider

for the times they are a changin!

I just dont have the time anymore...I work 4 days at the restaurant I sleep a bit monday then Im running around like crazy with baby stuff, banks, money errands, fixing this or that, the bike, the truck(getting a complete head rebuild as we speak) blah blah blah

It used to be where I could make sw motech guards for other guys bikes, make stainless skidplates, have bar risers made, make awesome baffle removers and stainless tips for klr guys to get rid of the tweet, make stainless footpegs,

I JUST DONT HAVE THE TIME ANYMORE!

My dream has always been to mate the FMF to my stainless headers...

thanks for the motivation...btw...yes we are known for ghetto engineering...sometimes very good