ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-22-2013, 06:38 AM   #6976
elsalvadorklr
southern xr rider
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Columbus, GA
Oddometer: 4,151
best method I learned and use now is to is pour 2 ounces of oil in a ziploc bag, and spread it around, ´place DRIED filter inside, seal it and through one side you SUCK ALL THE AIR OUT and reseal...

like a vacum bag...

then you move and spread the filter around as the surface area has been increased to better oil the filter

you also use less oil and can use that same bag to STORE your other clean filters

ps. you must always dry an oiled filter in the sun, NEVER install a recently oiled filter and start the bike, you will carbon up and soot your exhaust not to mention get bad mileage and performance like this

hope this helps
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:33 AM   #6977
HeadTrauma
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
 
HeadTrauma's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Antelope Valley, SoCal
Oddometer: 1,260
DO NOT WASH A FOAM FILTER WITH GASOLINE!

Well, you can....if you want it to fall apart. I think all of them say not to in the instructions. When in doubt, RTFM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain115 View Post
But I do that, seems fine, but then a day or so later there will be filter oil dripping out the side of the bike, running down the frame and onto the ground. Obviously the angle when it is on the sidestand is quite extreme so that's partially he reason, but I don't think that there should be that much oil sitting around in the airbox anyway, shouldn't it be in the filter?
Are you sure it's filter oil and not engine oil? The crankcase is vented to the airbox. It's not uncommon for people to remove the oil separator between them, which causes oil vapor to collect and run out of the airbox. This is especially prone to happen when the bike sees elevated RPM for long stints, like highway riding.

I use aerosol foam filter oil these days. Liquid oil is easy to over apply IMO. In the event that I did put too much on, blotting the excess with rags or paper towels usually did the trick. The filter just has to be damp with oil.
__________________
1995 XR628R -Lots of goodies...room for more.
"Another breakdown, suicidal shakedown,
Feels like I'm livin' on a chain gang."
HeadTrauma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:40 AM   #6978
elsalvadorklr
southern xr rider
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Columbus, GA
Oddometer: 4,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadTrauma View Post
DO NOT WASH A FOAM FILTER WITH GASOLINE!

Well, you can....if you want it to fall apart. I think all of them say not to in the instructions. When in doubt, RTFM.
I simply gave up on shops down here for maintenance..they all use gas, and I told them guys cant you just use deisel or kerosene instead? and they all just laughed...

kerosene does wonders for me and works better and doesnt damage the gklue as much

having said this all motocrossers and racers clean their filters down here that way, and you almost never evr hear of failure...they also replace yearly so it doesnt matter TO THEM anyways

just some info I thought youd enjoy.
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:42 AM   #6979
elsalvadorklr
southern xr rider
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Columbus, GA
Oddometer: 4,151
can someone tell me how to permanently leave the screen display on ADVRIDER 2.0? its driving me nuts having to change from crash mode to adv every single time I log in...

thanks
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:07 AM   #6980
elsalvadorklr
southern xr rider
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Columbus, GA
Oddometer: 4,151
timing on a 4 banger

another unrelated xr question

My montero engine is back and running, hell yeah

but I dont know why it is like this with me but it feels lower on power than before

so when looking at the engine from the front could someone explain to me which way you rotate the distributor cap in order to retard and or advance the timing?

the mechanic already did this once...but I was inside accelerating and couldnt see well...

Im pretty sure I need to advance it now after getting some help over on tt, so does anybody care to help me out with this?

christian
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:32 AM   #6981
HeadTrauma
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
 
HeadTrauma's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Antelope Valley, SoCal
Oddometer: 1,260
Pull the distributor cap and turn the crankshaft clockwise(or whichever way it turns when the engine is running...most RWD engines turn CW when looking at the front). You'll see which way the rotor turns.Turn the distributor in the same direction to retard timing. Turn it the opposite direction to advance timing.

You can also figure out which way the distributor rotates based on the firing order and spark plug wire routing.

Do you have a timing light? You really need one to set the timing properly...assuming the timing marks and the pointer are n the right places. A common problem for older engines with tired harmonic dampers is for the outer ring with the timing marks to slip, making it impossible to set the timing correctly even with a timing light.
__________________
1995 XR628R -Lots of goodies...room for more.
"Another breakdown, suicidal shakedown,
Feels like I'm livin' on a chain gang."
HeadTrauma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:41 AM   #6982
elsalvadorklr
southern xr rider
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Columbus, GA
Oddometer: 4,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadTrauma View Post
Pull the distributor cap and turn the crankshaft clockwise(or whichever way it turns when the engine is running...most RWD engines turn CW when looking at the front). You'll see which way the rotor turns.Turn the distributor in the same direction to retard timing. Turn it the opposite direction to advance timing.

You can also figure out which way the distributor rotates based on the firing order and spark plug wire routing.

Do you have a timing light? You really need one to set the timing properly...assuming the timing marks and the pointer are n the right places. A common problem for older engines with tired harmonic dampers is for the outer ring with the timing marks to slip, making it impossible to set the timing correctly even with a timing light.

awesome, since Im impatient I figured id do some more searching...my wires and plug caps are all new however the distributor rotor does have some play as noted by mu mechanic, he was less worried about it than me but thats normal as Im a pain in the ass anal customer...

jajaja

Im low on power midrange and top...

I also de catalyzed the exhaust as it was completely packed up...could it be maybe that its not ignition but a lean mixture since the exhaist is free flowing now?

they did a great job on the exhaist coupler...Ill take a pic if I can, its sort of a mini expansion tube just after the headers...

the exhaust smells better tha before...it was rich before, mostly from carbon buildup and plugged up cat.

anywhoo back to ignition if I cant get my power back should I live with it or start messing with the carb?

thanks

your always here for the TECH stuff HT and I sincerely appreciate it

christian
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:03 PM   #6983
joexr
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: S.E.
Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsalvadorklr View Post
awesome, since Im impatient I figured id do some more searching...my wires and plug caps are all new however the distributor rotor does have some play as noted by mu mechanic, he was less worried about it than me but thats normal as Im a pain in the ass anal customer...

jajaja

Im low on power midrange and top...

I also de catalyzed the exhaust as it was completely packed up...could it be maybe that its not ignition but a lean mixture since the exhaist is free flowing now?

they did a great job on the exhaist coupler...Ill take a pic if I can, its sort of a mini expansion tube just after the headers...

the exhaust smells better tha before...it was rich before, mostly from carbon buildup and plugged up cat.

anywhoo back to ignition if I cant get my power back should I live with it or start messing with the carb?

thanks

your always here for the TECH stuff HT and I sincerely appreciate it

christian
Get your timing set first. If the power still seems noticeably lower than before , your cam may be advanced.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:28 PM   #6984
Royal Club
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Royal Club's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: The Netherlands
Oddometer: 392
Went to the "motorbeurs utrecht" today. Bike show ish thingy. got me some new gloves and a nice sign for in the garage..



Royal Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:41 PM   #6985
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsalvadorklr View Post
best method I learned and use now is to is pour 2 ounces of oil in a ziploc bag, and spread it around, ´place DRIED filter inside, seal it and through one side you SUCK ALL THE AIR OUT and reseal...

like a vacum bag...

then you move and spread the filter around as the surface area has been increased to better oil the filter

you also use less oil and can use that same bag to STORE your other clean filters

ps. you must always dry an oiled filter in the sun, NEVER install a recently oiled filter and start the bike, you will carbon up and soot your exhaust not to mention get bad mileage and performance like this

hope this helps
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadTrauma View Post
DO NOT WASH A FOAM FILTER WITH GASOLINE!

Well, you can....if you want it to fall apart. I think all of them say not to in the instructions. When in doubt, RTFM.



Are you sure it's filter oil and not engine oil? The crankcase is vented to the airbox. It's not uncommon for people to remove the oil separator between them, which causes oil vapor to collect and run out of the airbox. This is especially prone to happen when the bike sees elevated RPM for long stints, like highway riding.

I use aerosol foam filter oil these days. Liquid oil is easy to over apply IMO. In the event that I did put too much on, blotting the excess with rags or paper towels usually did the trick. The filter just has to be damp with oil.
These guys have good advice. I use aerosol oil as well, I spray a light amount on my dry filter, stick it in a ziploc baggie, seal it up and massage the oil through the filter.....it doesn't take a lot of oil to get the job done if you massage the oil in thoroughly. Over oiling will kill power and mileage.
I use Kal-Guard spray foam filter oil, and Dawn dishwashing soap to clean.....works very well for me
__________________
"Don't get so concerned with the slab that you choose a turd for the dirt"- The Gospel as spoken by itrack
Sierra Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:44 PM   #6986
Sierra Thumper
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Oddometer: 641
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsalvadorklr View Post
can someone tell me how to permanently leave the screen display on ADVRIDER 2.0? its driving me nuts having to change from crash mode to adv every single time I log in...

thanks
Stay logged in all the time Christian and you probably won't have any more issues...hopefully
I stay logged in to all the forums I visit, saves a lot of hassles, especially when forums make changes like they did here recently.
__________________
"Don't get so concerned with the slab that you choose a turd for the dirt"- The Gospel as spoken by itrack
Sierra Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:55 PM   #6987
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer
 
mcma111's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: San Francisco,Ca.
Oddometer: 11,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsalvadorklr View Post
can someone tell me how to permanently leave the screen display on ADVRIDER 2.0? its driving me nuts having to change from crash mode to adv every single time I log in...

thanks

It's the little box all the way down the page on the left side. Chose what setting ya want.

BTW... I checked inventory and I only had one header exhaust seal so I ordered a dozen. As soon as they get here two will be inserted in the waiting envelope and off to the post office I will go. Oh fun.
__________________
Steve in SF

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:47 PM   #6988
deejay_xr
Gnarly Adventurer
 
deejay_xr's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Netherlands
Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
It's the little box all the way down the page on the left side. Chose what setting ya want.
Thanks for that, that´s so much better


__________________
'87 XR600R, 17's and fully black

deejay_xr screwed with this post 02-22-2013 at 06:22 PM
deejay_xr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:18 PM   #6989
elsalvadorklr
southern xr rider
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: Columbus, GA
Oddometer: 4,151
the thing is I have to change it now every time! it wont stay on the setting I chose

wtf
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:45 PM   #6990
lamebrain
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Oregon
Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsalvadorklr View Post
the thing is I have to change it now every time! it wont stay on the setting I chose

wtf
I switched it to adv 2.0 and then bookmarked it and deleted the old book mark, seems to be working so far!
lamebrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014