southern xr rider

Oddometer: 4,150
^^^^^smart man you are
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:06 PM   #6992
bamfslap
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Supposed to snow tomorrow. I can't take this shitty winter anymore!!

Gonna head out to the track tomorrow even if it's a flurry. I don't care anymore!
bamfslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:52 PM   #6993
Dino3310
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 673
Pigs do Fly
Dino3310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:50 AM   #6994
lookfar
from the land of OZ

Oddometer: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamfslap View Post

Gonna head out to the track tomorrow even if it's a flurry. I don't care anymore!
30 odd degrees here, starting to p#$$ rain.....

Over 45 degrees at work.....
Be nice to be a bit cooler..
1985 XL250R
1985 XL600R 1988 XR600
lookfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:34 AM   #6995
deejay_xr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamfslap View Post

This captures my sentiments quite perfectly, yes it snowed, we all liked it the first two days, now if it could please fuck off

Dig the airtime btw
Old 02-23-2013, 08:39 AM   #6996
nikolic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino3310 View Post
Pigs do Fly
Pigs fly high!

Old 02-23-2013, 01:49 PM   #6997
HeadTrauma
\_(ツ)_/

Oddometer: 1,260
They're called thumpers not for the exhaust note, but for the sound they make upon landing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsalvadorklr View Post
I simply gave up on shops down here for maintenance..they all use gas, and I told them guys cant you just use deisel or kerosene instead? and they all just laughed...

kerosene does wonders for me and works better and doesnt damage the gklue as much

having said this all motocrossers and racers clean their filters down here that way, and you almost never evr hear of failure...they also replace yearly so it doesnt matter TO THEM anyways

just some info I thought youd enjoy.
Since a lot of gasoline here has it as an oxygenate, it's worth mentioning that alcohol is also hard on urethane.

Quote:
can someone tell me how to permanently leave the screen display on ADVRIDER 2.0? its driving me nuts having to change from crash mode to adv every single time I log in...

thanks
Tell your browser to allow cookies from www.advrider.com

Quote:
1.) I also de catalyzed the exhaust as it was completely packed up...could it be maybe that its not ignition but a lean mixture since the exhaist is free flowing now? .... the exhaust smells better tha before...it was rich before, mostly from carbon buildup and plugged up cat.

they did a great job on the exhaist coupler...Ill take a pic if I can, its sort of a mini expansion tube just after the headers...

2.) your always here for the TECH stuff HT and I sincerely appreciate it

christian
1.) The jetting would only be a problem if it was leaned out earlier to compensate for the blocked cat converter. If not, it's probably close to being correct.

2.) Glad to help.

HeadTrauma screwed with this post 02-23-2013 at 02:02 PM
HeadTrauma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:16 PM   #6998
Dino3310
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikolic View Post
Pigs fly high!

AWESOME MATE

good to see action shots instead of the usual poser's
Dino3310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:08 PM   #6999
elsalvadorklr
southern xr rider

Quote:
Pigs fly high!

I love this pic...

I want to start riding courses or closed tracks...safer me thinks since I ride alone

cheers
Old 02-23-2013, 05:39 PM   #7000
Captain115
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
Hey everyone,

So I finally got around to plating the XR and took it for the first true ride since I bought it months ago. I mean I've puttered round the backyard doing doughnuts but that's pretty much it, so I was excited (and nervous) to take it above 30 kmph and actually ride along some gravel roads. I was also hoping I would like it, I mean I've spent all this time and money rebuilding/improving it so fingers crossed that it wasn't all in vain.

First impressions:

I really need to get my front brakes fixed. I mean the wheel stops and when I release the lever it can move freely again but to stop I have to pull the lever the whole way to the bar. Didn't surprise me as I'm still waiting for the caliper rebuild kit and I knew that they weren't amazing, just meant I had to leave some long distances between me and the car in front.

Knobbies on the road were actually fine. I've heard how dangerous they are, and I'm sure that's correct on wet bitumen, but I am running the tyres that came with it when I bought it and the front especially is a very aggressive motocross like knob. I started out quite gingerly through the corners but found they stayed pretty well planted at moderate lean angles; certainly enough to get around the corner at the posted speed.

The bike started to make a high-pitched whine and I freaked out thinking there was some bolt that I hadn't done up correctly etc. But then I noticed that when I turned into a corner it would go away. After a bit of experimentation I realised that it was just the howling of the tyres when it was upright, I guess they had worn down more than the knobs on the side which didn't make that noise.

Long travel suspension is amazing, I decided to ride these some gravel roads that I had taken my roadbike on (decided to go adventuring before the XR was plated) and went through them probably 5 times quicker than I had before. In this case it was definitely the different equipment, as my skills at off road riding are still terrible.

In fact in the whole ride I noticed only one real problem with the XR: vibration. Like I mean shockingly bad, jackhammer vibration.
I ride a small aircooled road bike, I believe Honda cut costs and just got an old XL185 motor, overbored it and slapped it in a roadbike frame. Anyway the point is that I am used to vibration or thought I was, as the little single would vibrate enough to make my right hand and foot feel numb.
But the XR...I reckon after 25km my throttle hand was asleep and my butt had the awful pins and needles tingle. Is there some way of reducing this so I can actually ride it a distance? It was fine on the dirt, probably because I was on the pegs a lot, but on the tar it was just awful. So....solutions?

Here are some quick picks. Notice that I even forded a small creek which sounds more impressive than it was.

Cheers,

John
Captain115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:25 PM   #7001
bamfslap
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino3310 View Post
Pigs do Fly
Indeed, it's a rush on a big bike that most are afraid of even sitting on, lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejay_xr View Post
This captures my sentiments quite perfectly, yes it snowed, we all liked it the first two days, now if it could please fuck off

Dig the airtime btw
Exactly. It's been crappy for months now, please go away already! I didn't get to go today but maybe tomorrow!

And thanks! I'll get a video maybe, probably on the 650 though.
bamfslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:34 AM   #7002
nikolic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 479
Quote:

I want to start riding courses or closed tracks...safer me thinks since I ride alone

cheers
I'm trying to give it some sirious action, have registered for this years "King of the hill" hard enduro ( www.heca.ro ) , hope XR will be OK for it! Rebuilding it from the start just now. Hoping piston rings will arive in time...
Old 02-24-2013, 06:20 AM   #7003
Royal Club
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 392

Never ending story

Left one was leaking and missing a piece of chrome on the shaft.. Right one has a tad of flyrust..
Royal Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:21 AM   #7004
elsalvadorklr
southern xr rider

Quote:
I'm trying to give it some sirious action, have registered for this years "King of the hill" hard enduro ( www.heca.ro ) , hope XR will be OK for it! Rebuilding it from the start just now. Hoping piston rings will arive in time...
good luck man...any tips on racing the xr welcome here! jajaja
Old 02-24-2013, 06:27 AM   #7005
elsalvadorklr
southern xr rider

captain do you have a pic of your headers from the front? my left pipe looks nothing like yours, its has a flat bend to it at the bottom...yours are very close and neat looking..

ps. your 88 should NOT vibrate...are lugging it too much? maybe go up the rev range more and report back

ever since putting back tthe twin headers and oem muffler the bike is even more smooth as there is not extreme thumping like before...

exhausts make a big difference in perceived thumpiness if you will

If I lug my xr really low it will rattle and shake

but never at the bars, so thats worrisome you have that...I get it in the frame and foopegs but never enough to NUMB me.

also our 88 bikes are nice with vibes because they have a twin gear balancer shaft...that is spring loaded unlike otheryear xr6...this is to help with the slamming effect of the crank when accelerating hard or downshifting...

other year xrs have a nice whine to them and slappiness if you will until warmed up because of this(different cam chain as well on 86 and down models, they were bigger)
anywhoo

hope you get it sorted

nice 88 btw! once again