Looks like the bulb is called BAY15D...

edit: or BA15D

Royal Club screwed with this post 03-02-2013 at 03:09 PM
Royal Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:34 AM   #7097
deejay_xr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
Sooooo, I finally got done with the fork seal swap.

I followed Johnīs advice and took the legs to a local dealer to loosen the bottom nuts, good thing too because the guy couldnīt get them loose by hand in the vice, he had to resort to the impact gun, or as he calls it īBrutusī

The rest almost went off without a hitch, aside for the fact that the new dust seals DID NOT fit, no matter what I tried. Outer diameter/shape was all wrong somehow. I completely busted my fingertips trying to force it in, used a nylon hammer, everything. I even resorted to shaving off slithers of the outer diameter with a scalpel incrementally to get it to fit.
In the end I resorted to re-using the old dust seals. Fortunately they looked good and I didnīt wreck them taking them off.

The whole procedure was just to be safe anyway since I couldn't be sure how the forks had been maintained by the previous owner, but everything I found was promising.
Atleast I was able to change the oil seals and oil. And since I will be using small fork socks and fork guards, Iīm less worried about re-using the dust seals.

Strange though, both the oil- and dust seals are from K&S, a brand most people have nothing but faith in from what I heard, and the oil seals fit like a glove...

Long story short, I learned a lot about USD forks, the hard way..
deejay_xr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 02:46 PM   #7098
Royal Club
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by deejay_xr View Post
Sooooo, I finally got done with the fork seal swap.

I followed Johnīs advice and took the legs to a local dealer to loosen the bottom nuts, good thing too because the guy couldnīt get them loose by hand in the vice, he had to resort to the impact gun, or as he calls it īBrutusī

The rest almost went off without a hitch, aside for the fact that the new dust seals DID NOT fit, no matter what I tried. Outer diameter/shape was all wrong somehow. I completely busted my fingertips trying to force it in, used a nylon hammer, everything. I even resorted to shaving off slithers of the outer diameter with a scalpel incrementally to get it to fit.
In the end I resorted to re-using the old dust seals. Fortunately they looked good and I didnīt wreck them taking them off.

The whole procedure was just to be safe anyway since I couldn't be sure how the forks had been maintained by the previous owner, but everything I found was promising.
Atleast I was able to change the oil seals and oil. And since I will be using small fork socks and fork guards, Iīm less worried about re-using the dust seals.

Strange though, both the oil- and dust seals are from K&S, a brand most people have nothing but faith in from what I heard, and the oil seals fit like a glove...

Long story short, I learned a lot about USD forks, the hard way..
Strange the dustseals wouldn't fit, maybe a for a different modelyear??
Old 03-03-2013, 03:41 PM   #7099
deejay_xr
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Club View Post
Strange the dustseals wouldn't fit, maybe a for a different modelyear??
Iīm stumped too, the exact model and year I need were on the back of the packaging, and they didn't look that different from the old ones but I couldnīt for the life of me fit them

Wrongly packaged maybe, who knows
Old 03-03-2013, 03:58 PM   #7100
Captain115
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
Quote:
Iīm stumped too, the exact model and year I need were on the back of the packaging, and they didn't look that different from the old ones but I couldnīt for the life of me fit them

Ha, don't worry the exact same thing happened to me last year when my housemate and I were restoring a VT250F for him (Jap/Aus spec VTR250 Interceptor). The fork seals just wouldn't go in no matter what we did. Turns out they were the wrong size for the forks, the manufacturer had stuffed up and sent incorrect seals. Didn't stop me for trying for two days to get them to fit.

Also, I have found that warming the seals (ether leaving them in the sun or a few passes with a hair-dryer or heat gun) and the section of the forks where they sit, helps them pop in a little easier.

Cheers,

John
Captain115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:30 PM   #7101
Royal Club
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
Quote:

measure them with a caliper!
Old 03-03-2013, 07:40 PM   #7102
MCCOYBOY
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Racing the pig

I'm still not sure what I was thinking. Showed up at the race and it's 23 degrees, 4inches of fresh snow, and it was still falling. The XR cut through the mud like butter and tractored up every hill I pointed it towards. Here is what it looked like after the race with all the frozen mud. We ended up finishing 1st in class and 6th overall.

The front end started to handle weird after 2 laps. I thought I had a flat but after finishing the race I found the issue.

MCCOYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:14 PM   #7103
ID XR600
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCCOYBOY View Post
I'm still not sure what I was thinking. Showed up at the race and it's 23 degrees, 4inches of fresh snow, and it was still falling. The XR cut through the mud like butter and tractored up every hill I pointed it towards. Here is what it looked like after the race with all the frozen mud. We ended up finishing 1st in class and 6th overall.

The front end started to handle weird after 2 laps. I thought I had a flat but after finishing the race I found the issue.

Piggy needs a nice warm bath.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:23 AM   #7104
deejay_xr
Gnarly Adventurer

Die hard much ??
Old 03-04-2013, 06:38 AM   #7105
elsalvadorklr
southern xr rider

Oddometer: 4,130
damn impressive!

frozen mud? wtf? I hate the cold

congrats man, and the piggy!
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:58 AM   #7106
Kenno
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 673

Hey Christian, its got one of those you beaut oil tube heat shields!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsalvadorklr View Post
damn impressive!

frozen mud? wtf? I hate the cold

congrats man, and the piggy!

"Parts left out cost nothing and cause no service problems" (Kettering)
Kenno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:27 AM   #7107
elsalvadorklr
southern xr rider

Oddometer: 4,130
thats funny shit right there jajaja

I was about to ask the smart ass question

HEY!

happen to known what your oil temps where? like this? while kicking ass and winning 1st place

again

super impressive

scott summers would be impressed

ps. mcoy what usds are those? look like cr250rs like mine

what settings are you running?

thanks
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:27 AM   #7108
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,809
thats a honda for you. keeps on going!
kubiak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:24 AM   #7109
JAB
Unsprung Weight

Oddometer: 1,236
I've never seen an XR-popsickle before. Do you have to wait for the spring thaw? Good job!
Old 03-04-2013, 09:31 AM   #7110
MCCOYBOY
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
Thanks guys. Don't worry about the oil temps. They never went over 215 degrees with my oil cooler setup. I have the oil cooler blocked till the oil temps hit 200 degrees and then I pull the cover away and the oil temp never gets over 220 no matter how hard I run it.

The forks are from a 2008 Honda crf250x. I pulled them down and re-valved them and installed some .48kg/mm springs as well as a handle bar sub tank. They took a few tries to get right but now they're solid and perform well at race speed.
MCCOYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote