User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2013, 02:09 AM   #7246
RoostMaster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Captains Dunny 606's

My last few rears are Dunny 606's, I don't push hard at all on the road, as soon as I go bush there is not a hill this tyre won't climb. Love it off road and damn good longevity VS traction !
PLEASE let me know how the front goes espec' for vibration on black top...as just about to purchase one. ($200 for both is killer pricing). Roost.
RoostMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:03 AM   #7247
RoostMaster
Gnarly Adventurer

My new 'puter is to sucky to upload pics yet.. buuuut will get my act together for Andy Strapz panniers and racks photo's, noice... ALSO...

Tried to fit a FCR 40mm carby from a early YZ (426 or 450 (not quite sure though)). I measured the manifold throat dia' at 40mm but stand to be corrected. It almost bolted straight up (adaptor needed) HOWEVER the top of the throttle actuator (where the cables actuate the carbie) fowled against the bottom of the Acerbis tank.

What bike are the FCR's from that peeps are using on the XR 6's? Is there a manifold mod that needs to occur? I was under the impression that the CRF, YZ and KTM FCR's are basically all the same?????????????????????????????

Old 03-11-2013, 03:25 AM   #7248
RoostMaster
Gnarly Adventurer

Wait. Tilt the carb !?.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:52 AM   #7249
lookfar
from the land of OZ

Oddometer: 562
Hey Captain,
What year is the XR??

Trying to find a pic of an original 1988 XR6 to use as a reference pic for my rebuild.

Cheers mate.
1985 XL250R
1985 XL600R 1988 XR600
lookfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:25 AM   #7250
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,076
lookfar what kind of pic are you looking for? I got tons on my rebuild thread...

cheers
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:30 AM   #7251
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoostMaster View Post
My new 'puter is to sucky to upload pics yet.. buuuut will get my act together for Andy Strapz panniers and racks photo's, noice... ALSO...

Tried to fit a FCR 40mm carby from a early YZ (426 or 450 (not quite sure though)). I measured the manifold throat dia' at 40mm but stand to be corrected. It almost bolted straight up (adaptor needed) HOWEVER the top of the throttle actuator (where the cables actuate the carbie) fowled against the bottom of the Acerbis tank.

What bike are the FCR's from that peeps are using on the XR 6's? Is there a manifold mod that needs to occur? I was under the impression that the CRF, YZ and KTM FCR's are basically all the same?????????????????????????????

most are using crf stuff...fcr-mx on ebay

yes to manifold coupler, yes to tight fitting, if you dont mid looking at thumpertalk a bit,m there is a very recent post about a full fcrmx swap thread with all the details

wait Ill just link itfor ya, hows that
http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/100...mx-on-a-xr600/

this guy basically did the coupler himself, however what you need are either CYCLEWIZARDS coupler or a NOSS coupler...you can save yourself some hassle by using an XRL intake boot

thats what Im using now on my mikuni flatslide and I can tell you that it works by angling the carb down a smidge gaining you clearance at the frame

cheers
Old 03-11-2013, 06:44 AM   #7252
road_thing
chingadero

Oddometer: 36

Mine's pretty much back together and ready to roll!

rt
road_thing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:11 AM   #7253
T4EaterJonny
Not too hip...

Oddometer: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Club View Post
We should sponsor christian a gopro, this sounds mad!

on the jetting: In my knowledge setting the needle to the richest setting means the mainjet is lean. I was thought(thaught?) by my dad that you should never use the outer settings on the needle (lowest or highest). It either means the mainjet is lean or rich.

rebuilt a DRZ engine with my mate tonight (the one that likes to set stuff on fire) got home an hour ago and decided it was time to try and get the spark arrestor out of my stock muffler.. this is what happend

No bag of chips is as crusty as this piece of rust

Bent the spark arrestor flare back with my trusty pipe wrench
The end of the pipe looks like a pig snout lol.how fitting.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:42 AM   #7254
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by road_thing View Post

rt
fantastic build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Id love to have a tracker for around town and to take to a famous race track we have down here where they race old alfa romeo julias....

honestly Im starting to questionlately what it is I like to ride...

and while I love exploring and riding the beach long distance etc...lately Ive been having the urge to race my self on a track, be it dirt or something like a short street track...

Sumo is too expensive a switch for me, but maybe lowering the bike, stiffening suspension up, ditching the airbox and getting the fattest street tires I can get for NOW might do the trick

Old 03-11-2013, 08:29 AM   #7255
T4EaterJonny
Not too hip...

Oddometer: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsalvadorklr View Post
fantastic build!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Id love to have a tracker for around town and to take to a famous race track we have down here where they race old alfa romeo julias....

honestly Im starting to questionlately what it is I like to ride...

and while I love exploring and riding the beach long distance etc...lately Ive been having the urge to race my self on a track, be it dirt or something like a short street track...

Sumo is too expensive a switch for me, but maybe lowering the bike, stiffening suspension up, ditching the airbox and getting the fattest street tires I can get for NOW might do the trick

Hey buddy. Sumo wheels arent thaaaaat expensive. Ive thought about it a lot after watching a bunch of videos from the youtube member the garden snake who rides a drz400. I already have an r6 so it would almost be a waste of money for spare rims and tires. However, i would love to lie to myself and just say its to save the life of my dirt tires.

http://www.supermotojunkie.com/showt...-here!!/page20
Old 03-11-2013, 12:54 PM   #7256
Captain115
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoostMaster View Post
My last few rears are Dunny 606's, I don't push hard at all on the road, as soon as I go bush there is not a hill this tyre won't climb. Love it off road and damn good longevity VS traction !
PLEASE let me know how the front goes espec' for vibration on black top...as just about to purchase one. ($200 for both is killer pricing). Roost.
Hey RoostMaster, I'll let you know for sure but as I have mentioned previously this is my first dirt bike and hence I don't have a frame of reference to compare the tyres with! But I did take a short trip last night (after stuff around cause I forgot where my disc lock key was) and vibrations were much reduced when compared to the previously motocross type tyres that were on it.
I obviously haven't worn them in enough to say anything, and I'm not a particularly hard rider on the street but I'll be sure to give you and update on how to front wears and rides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookfar View Post
Hey Captain,
What year is the XR??

Trying to find a pic of an original 1988 XR6 to use as a reference pic for my rebuild.

Cheers mate.
Mines an 89 mate, but the previous owner (or one of the previous owners) replaced the headlight with an aftermarket cheapy thing styled like a Crf so it doesn't have that cool square look the original XR had. Here's a pic you could go from: http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/mod...r600r%2088.htm

But it might be the US spec cause it doesn't have signals etc. Good luck and keep us updated re the rebuild!

John
Captain115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 03:27 PM   #7257
Royal Club
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
so. no dyno for a while, my ride broke his collarbone for the second time..
Royal Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 06:29 AM   #7258
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Club View Post
so. no dyno for a while, my ride broke his collarbone for the second time..

that sucks man!

was really looking forward to that dyno run...
Old 03-12-2013, 08:03 AM   #7259
luckyjr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 78
Nice

What is that tank off of? Did you lower the rear suspension? If so how did you lower it. I am doing my 1995 xr600r now.... on the cheap. Sent the front wheel into Buchannan and had a 18 in rim put on it. Have not decided on a tank yet so I am curious. Looks like we did the same thing to our frames. I think I am going to eleminate the skid plate on mine. Nice looking bike.

rt[/QUOTE]
luckyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 08:33 AM   #7260
Swan3609
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by road_thing View Post

rt
That's gorgeous. Very nicely done. How do you like riding it around?

My XR is in the shop getting a new motor currently and my funds are currently are going towards some upgrades to make it into a dual sport adventure machine.

But I have been scouring craigslist for a old big bore XR to do a tracker build. I have a few buddies with cl350 cafe builds that they think are the best of the best. I just want a ragtag tracker xr600 that will have that Big thumper feel, and will be my fun around town fun bike. Plus I want a Thumper that will pull power wheelies past their little 350s.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
Swan3609 is offline   Reply With Quote