ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-17-2013, 10:12 AM   #7366
Royal Club
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Royal Club's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: The Netherlands
Oddometer: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post

Oil Seal, Leak Stopper15107-MG3-000


This is the seal inside of the oil pump. I replaced the one in my XR600 and the oil never bypasses the pump anymore.

But would it be neccesary. the bike has been standing still for over a week or more..
__________________
Royal Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:17 AM   #7367
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer
 
mcma111's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: San Francisco,Ca.
Oddometer: 11,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Club View Post
But would it be neccesary. the bike has been standing still for over a week or more..

It all depends on how fast the oil drains down to the sump. If you know it does this then there is no worry when you start the bike after it has been sitting for some time as the oil pump will send the oil in the engine back to the frame. On the other hand if you want your bike to retain the oil in the frame then replace this seal.
__________________
Steve in SF

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:18 AM   #7368
Ivanych
Ivanych
 
Ivanych's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: St. Petersburg. Russia
Oddometer: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by deejay_xr View Post
Do you have a Honda manual in digital form?
I would like that very much !! As long as it's not in Russian

Oh btw, mine's an '87 model, maybe this is a problem? I believe there is a seperate manual for these years...

I don't have the manual in the Russian language, only English, German and Italian(possible) languages.
I'll send You a link from my file storage. (this is the digital version)

I do not like Clymer guide too.
Ivanych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:30 AM   #7369
Royal Club
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Royal Club's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: The Netherlands
Oddometer: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
It all depends on how fast the oil drains down to the sump. If you know it does this then there is no worry when you start the bike after it has been sitting for some time as the oil pump will send the oil in the engine back to the frame. On the other hand if you want your bike to retain the oil in the frame then replace this seal.
I think I'll replace the seal, spring and that splitpin thingy, am I forgetting anything??
__________________
Royal Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:32 AM   #7370
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer
 
mcma111's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: San Francisco,Ca.
Oddometer: 11,654
You've got it covered. Don't forget the clutch cover gasket.
__________________
Steve in SF

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:37 AM   #7371
deejay_xr
Gnarly Adventurer
 
deejay_xr's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Netherlands
Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivanych View Post

I don't have the manual in the Russian language, only English, German and Italian(possible) languages.
I'll send You a link from my file storage. (this is the digital version)

I do not like Clymer guide too.
Yes please !
English would be most practical.

Thanks in advance Ivanych !

Derek
__________________
'87 XR600R, 17's and fully black
deejay_xr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:42 AM   #7372
Royal Club
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Royal Club's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: The Netherlands
Oddometer: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
You've got it covered. Don't forget the clutch cover gasket.
Yeah, I forgot to smear some grease on it lasttime.. That really helps keeping the gasket in one piece for future disassembly
__________________
Royal Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:54 AM   #7373
Ivanych
Ivanych
 
Ivanych's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: St. Petersburg. Russia
Oddometer: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by deejay_xr View Post
Yes please !
English would be most practical.

Thanks in advance Ivanych !

Derek
Look PM!
Ivanych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:57 AM   #7374
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer
 
mcma111's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: San Francisco,Ca.
Oddometer: 11,654
Here's a trick for you for when you pull the clutch cover. Clean off all of the old gasket material. Apply some sealant like Honda Bond to the grommet for the pulse generator and a bit where the gasket covers the PG. Install the gasket and grease the side towards the clutch cover. This way the gasket stays sealed/tight against the case but is removable from the cover. Doing this will keep oil from seeping out around the PG grommet like they all do.
__________________
Steve in SF

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:10 AM   #7375
deejay_xr
Gnarly Adventurer
 
deejay_xr's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Netherlands
Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivanych View Post
Look PM!
Looks good!

Thanks Ivan!
__________________
'87 XR600R, 17's and fully black
deejay_xr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:18 AM   #7376
Ivanych
Ivanych
 
Ivanych's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: St. Petersburg. Russia
Oddometer: 238
Quote:
Originally Posted by deejay_xr View Post
Looks good!

Thanks Ivan!
Ivanych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 02:19 PM   #7377
Royal Club
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Royal Club's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: The Netherlands
Oddometer: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
Here's a trick for you for when you pull the clutch cover. Clean off all of the old gasket material. Apply some sealant like Honda Bond to the grommet for the pulse generator and a bit where the gasket covers the PG. Install the gasket and grease the side towards the clutch cover. This way the gasket stays sealed/tight against the case but is removable from the cover. Doing this will keep oil from seeping out around the PG grommet like they all do.
will remember it!

Ordered the parts via a friend who's CMS dealer
__________________
Royal Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:43 PM   #7378
Captain115
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Captain115's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Brisbane, Straya
Oddometer: 278
Transmission help and photos

Ok so I had a look at the gears. I took lots of photos so if any of you feel so inclined and make a judgement that would be fantastic. I thought I would just upload them all to a photobucket album so you could browse at your leisure:

http://s1124.beta.photobucket.com/us...20Transmission

Countershaft

C1 (largest of the CS), is scored where it meets with C4 but the holes don't seem to be that worn. Small chip in one of the teeth.

C4 has a little wear in the bit where the fork sits and around the edges of the larger dogs but doesn't look too bad. Smaller dogs on other side are worn at the edges if they came from the factory at a cut stright (make 90 degrees)? I'm not sure though, I can't find a photo of a stock gear to really see if they are meant to be perfectly sharp edges...
Some light scorning on the faces of the dogs on both sides of C4

C5 teeth seem to be at a greater angle on the side it meets C2 than on the side it butts against C3. Again, I'm not sure if it is meant to be like this? There does seem to be a fair bit of scoring in the part where the fork sits, certainly more than is seen in C4.

Now C2 has very worn holes from the dogs of C5, as can be obviously seen in the photos. They aren't in the same shape as they meant to be and the edges are missing metal.

Mainshaft

M2 is one of the few gears that has clearly pitted teeth, one is very bad with three more that have a hole or two.

M5 teeth seem ok, but the holes where the dogs engage seem to worn a little (like was seen in C2).

Rest of mainshaft seems ok

Shift Forks

Now this might be where the metal is coming from? All three of the shift forks are shiny and worn where they contact the different gears (as can bee seen in the photos). Is this normal? If so, I have no idea where the metal is coming from!

Thanks,

John
Captain115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:11 PM   #7379
deejay_xr
Gnarly Adventurer
 
deejay_xr's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Netherlands
Oddometer: 496
The material did not come from your gearbox, there is not nearly enough damage to produce such a heap.

Im guessing, like Steve said, that the PO didnt split and scoop out the cases after some other meltdown, maybe it was the 630 you were promised...

As to the quality of the material shown in your pictures, Ill leave that to those better capable of telling you what you have
__________________
'87 XR600R, 17's and fully black
deejay_xr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:15 PM   #7380
Captain115
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Captain115's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Brisbane, Straya
Oddometer: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by deejay_xr View Post
The material did not come from your gearbox, there is not nearly enough damage to produce such a heap.

Im guessing, like Steve said, that the PO didnt split and scoop out the cases after some other meltdown, maybe it was the 630 you were promised...

As to the quality of the material shown in your pictures, Ill leave that to those better capable of telling you what you have
Ah well that is a relief at least! I cleverly used a magnetised pickup tool to get the big chunks of the flakes as they were very magnetic...which made me realised that it must've been from something that was magnetic.

I just had this fear that I'll send allll this money, put it back together, and something I haven't fixed will rear up and destroy all the new parts. Like if I had opened it up and there was something clearly getting destroyed I'd feel better, cause I'd know that's where everything came from. But this...

John
Captain115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 11:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014