ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-22-2013, 04:32 PM   #7486
lookfar
from the land of OZ
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Cairns, FNQ
Oddometer: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Club View Post
So,

I allmost don't want to ask this.. I know its been asked a zillion times, but all I read is people arguing on what is right...

I have a COURSE spline countershaft.


this model.

My sprocket has a flat side and a side with a lump..

which side goes outwards??

I have it set OUT-wards at the moment, the rear sprocket/chain/front sprocket/ seem to align pretty good..
I have always had the flat side to the outside.


.
__________________
Stu in FNQ
The early bird catches the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
Growing old is mandatory... growing up is optional.
1985 XL250R
1985 XL600R 1988 XR600
lookfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 04:51 PM   #7487
Royal Club
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Royal Club's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: The Netherlands
Oddometer: 392

this is my old sprocket, used with the flat side out. as you can see the sprocket has wear toward the engine.. dunno how to describe it correctly, the wear directs toward the engine.. the other side is pretty clean, no strange lumps and strange wear..
__________________
Royal Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 06:31 PM   #7488
Captain115
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Captain115's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Brisbane, Straya
Oddometer: 273
Alright so my current parts list:

Wiseco 98mm 11:1 Piston..................$142

OEM Honda Cam...............................$112

4x OEM Honda Rockers.....................$128

OEM Honda Cam Chain.....................$70

Bore and hone...................................$70

Cosmetic 98mm Top End Gasket Kit...$29

Cosmetic Bottom End Gasket Kit........$35

BikeMaster Magnetic Drain Plug..........$7

Plus a million dollars for the fucking transmission

Anything I'm missing?

John
Captain115 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 07:32 PM   #7489
lookfar
from the land of OZ
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Cairns, FNQ
Oddometer: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Club View Post

this is my old sprocket, used with the flat side out. as you can see the sprocket has wear toward the engine.. dunno how to describe it correctly, the wear directs toward the engine.. the other side is pretty clean, no strange lumps and strange wear..
Got a pic of the other side?

.
__________________
Stu in FNQ
The early bird catches the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
Growing old is mandatory... growing up is optional.
1985 XL250R
1985 XL600R 1988 XR600
lookfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:00 AM   #7490
Royal Club
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Royal Club's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: The Netherlands
Oddometer: 392
__________________
Royal Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:06 AM   #7491
lookfar
from the land of OZ
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Cairns, FNQ
Oddometer: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Club View Post
Definately flat side out...otherwise the locking collar can't be bolted properly to the sprocket...
__________________
Stu in FNQ
The early bird catches the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
Growing old is mandatory... growing up is optional.
1985 XL250R
1985 XL600R 1988 XR600
lookfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:24 AM   #7492
Royal Club
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Royal Club's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: The Netherlands
Oddometer: 392
Then why does the sprocket have such strange wear on it?
__________________
Royal Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:29 AM   #7493
deejay_xr
Gnarly Adventurer
 
deejay_xr's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Netherlands
Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain115 View Post
Alright so my current parts list:

Wiseco 98mm 11:1 Piston..................$142

OEM Honda Cam...............................$112

4x OEM Honda Rockers.....................$128

OEM Honda Cam Chain.....................$70

Bore and hone...................................$70

Cosmetic 98mm Top End Gasket Kit...$29

Cosmetic Bottom End Gasket Kit........$35

BikeMaster Magnetic Drain Plug..........$7

Plus a million dollars for the fucking transmission

Anything I'm missing?

John

How's the con rod and big-end bearing, and is it the factory rod or was it already replaced? I forget.
It might not be a good idea to run 11:1 compression on the factory rod...

IF you're going to swap out the rod, add two new crankshaft bearings to the list.

I would atleast change all the seals in the cases aswell as the gaskets, since you're splitting them anyway.
Gasket kits contain all kinds of o-rings, but not the seals.

Get a new camchain tensioner spring, just in case. They're like 3 bucks.


Oh, and add an oil filter and 3 liters of quality oil to your list
__________________
'87 XR600R, 17's and fully black
deejay_xr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 04:30 AM   #7494
lookfar
from the land of OZ
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Cairns, FNQ
Oddometer: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Club View Post
Then why does the sprocket have such strange wear on it?
Slight misalignment between the front and rear sprockets. Could come from anything...rear wheel not set properly in swingarm..bent swingarm...twisted frame...etc.
__________________
Stu in FNQ
The early bird catches the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
Growing old is mandatory... growing up is optional.
1985 XL250R
1985 XL600R 1988 XR600
lookfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 05:53 AM   #7495
Captain115
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Captain115's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: Brisbane, Straya
Oddometer: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by deejay_xr View Post
How's the con rod and big-end bearing, and is it the factory rod or was it already replaced? I forget.
It might not be a good idea to run 11:1 compression on the factory rod...

IF you're going to swap out the rod, add two new crankshaft bearings to the list.

I would atleast change all the seals in the cases aswell as the gaskets, since you're splitting them anyway.
Gasket kits contain all kinds of o-rings, but not the seals.

Get a new camchain tensioner spring, just in case. They're like 3 bucks.


Oh, and add an oil filter and 3 liters of quality oil to your list
Thanks deejay! The rod is Pro-X, no idea when it was replaced but looks good and no vertical play (though a little side to side but I gather this is normal).

What do you mean by the seal, sorry? I'll replace them if you reckon it's worth it, I just don't know what they are! Cam chain tensioner spring is a good one, I'll add it to the list.

I bought 8L of mineral oil today since the local auto shop was having a special on, saved about $35. Supercheap auto for those in Australia, $28 for 4L of Castrol Activ 4T!

And embarressingly I already have a spare oil filter...I bought it for the first oil change I was going to do at 500 km...but it never got there

But yeah I can get 4 of them for $13 from the site so I'll order a bulk amount while I'm there.

So: new seals (?), new tensioner spring and new filters...what else?

Thanks man,

John
Captain115 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:04 AM   #7496
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: el salvador
Oddometer: 4,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain115 View Post
Alright so my current parts list:

Wiseco 98mm 11:1 Piston..................$142

OEM Honda Cam...............................$112

4x OEM Honda Rockers.....................$128

OEM Honda Cam Chain.....................$70

Bore and hone...................................$70

Cosmetic 98mm Top End Gasket Kit...$29

Cosmetic Bottom End Gasket Kit........$35

BikeMaster Magnetic Drain Plug..........$7

Plus a million dollars for the fucking transmission

Anything I'm missing?

John
is the wiseco true 11.1 or less? youre going all out man!

not a fan of the magnetic plugs, they are hollow and break using normal torque, you can make one yourself thats stouter.

good luck!
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:07 AM   #7497
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: el salvador
Oddometer: 4,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Club View Post
Then why does the sprocket have such strange wear on it?
are you using the same numbers on the chain snail adjusters?

you must measure from axle to a fixed point on the frame or swingarm to see if your rear wheel is straight...a lot of times the adjusters are the cause of problems with bad wear at the front sprocket...

one assumes that equal numbers equals a perpendicular axle but no, you must measure

or you have a tweaked frame
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:02 AM   #7498
joexr
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: S.E.
Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsalvadorklr View Post
is the wiseco true 11.1 or less? youre going all out man!

not a fan of the magnetic plugs, they are hollow and break using normal torque, you can make one yourself thats stouter.

good luck!
I think the Bikemaster drain plugs are steel.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:54 AM   #7499
Royal Club
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Royal Club's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: The Netherlands
Oddometer: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsalvadorklr View Post
are you using the same numbers on the chain snail adjusters?

you must measure from axle to a fixed point on the frame or swingarm to see if your rear wheel is straight...a lot of times the adjusters are the cause of problems with bad wear at the front sprocket...

one assumes that equal numbers equals a perpendicular axle but no, you must measure

or you have a tweaked frame
Yeah I am, and as said, from the looks of it the chain and sprockets are aligning..
__________________
Royal Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:27 AM   #7500
joexr
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: S.E.
Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Club View Post
Yeah I am, and as said, from the looks of it the chain and sprockets are aligning..
Try sighting down the flat outside of the sprockets with the chain off.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:40 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014