Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2013, 10:30 AM   #7501
deejay_xr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain115 View Post
What do you mean by the seal, sorry? I'll replace them if you reckon it's worth it, I just don't know what they are!
There's one in the clutch cover for the outgoing kickstart shaft, one at the countershaft where it leaves the case etc.

By looking at all the parts fiches you should be able to figure out where the important ones are.
http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/offro...ne+%26+Exhaust
Not sure what year yours is, might want to change that before looking, shouldn't really make a difference other than the top-end though.

There is one on the inside of the clutch cover that sort of 'caps off' the end of the crankshaft. I can't seem to find it in the fiches. If I recall this one is rather important for the routing of the oil flow

Maybe Steve can chime in on this ?
Old 03-23-2013, 10:33 AM   #7502
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by deejay_xr View Post
There's one in the clutch cover for the outgoing kickstart shaft, one at the countershaft where it leaves the case etc.

By looking at all the parts fiches you should be able to figure out where the important ones are.
Not sure what year yours is, might want to change that before looking, shouldn't really make a difference other than the top-end though.

There is one on the inside of the clutch cover that sort of 'caps off' the end of the crankshaft. I can't seem to find it in the fiches. If I recall this one is rather important for the routing of the oil flow

I believe its in the clutch cover picture of the parts.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:40 AM   #7503
deejay_xr
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
I believe its in the clutch cover picture of the parts.
First place I looked

Nope
Old 03-23-2013, 10:44 AM   #7504
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
First place I looked

Nope
Its on the view of the clutch.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:46 AM   #7505
deejay_xr
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
Its on the view of the clutch.
Right you are !

Tnx Joe
Old 03-23-2013, 12:10 PM   #7506
Royal Club
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
flipped the sprocket, to be honest, I don't see any difference

I'll leave it this way since its what I see most..
Old 03-23-2013, 01:40 PM   #7507
Kelly_O
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 318
XR600 front fork ID...

I mounted xr600 forks on my Yamaha TT600. I'll be replacing fork seals but don't recall what year the forks are. They are Showa built. They are 43mm. The front end came with an original white front fender with a Camel Pro sticker on it. Can anyone tell me what year(s) came with this setup? TIA, Kelly.

P.S. Red Boots!

Kelly_O screwed with this post 03-23-2013 at 02:10 PM Reason: new clue.
Kelly_O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:23 PM   #7508
Captain115
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsalvadorklr View Post
is the wiseco true 11.1 or less? youre going all out man!

not a fan of the magnetic plugs, they are hollow and break using normal torque, you can make one yourself thats stouter.

good luck!
There's a aluminium one and a steel one for the same price...I guess I'll get the steel one hey? My curreny plug (non magnetic) is kind of warped so needed a replacement and seeing as how good the pul generator was at picking up magnetic meaterial I might as well go the magnetic drain plug too.

I think the Wiseco is actually higher than stock, unlike JE which although gives a 10.5:1 is closer to 9. Not that there is any problem with that, but just reporting what I have read. I am worried about going the high comp to be honest, the extra heat and 'stress' (which has been argued back and forth if that is true but still'. But I just can't pay the same money and get a 1mm OS stock compression when I could be getting a high comp as well!

As mentioned previously, JE is too expensive and Wossner is an extra $35. I would really like a 100mm JE 10.5:1 piston! But I don't want the thin sleeve associated with 100mm and don't want to pay extra for a new sleeve so stuck at <100mm. Hence the tossup between 99mm Wossner for $185 or the 98mm 11:1 Wiseco for $142.

Quote:

Deejay and joexr, thanks so much for the info. I had a look at the examples and was like "oh yeah I know that, its that piece of rubber that stops oil coming out...like an seal... sealing oil...an oil seal...goddamnit I'm a moron". So yeah I do now know what you mean, just was to stupid to understand it.

I assumed they came in the gasket kits? If not, then why not? I thought the reason you pay $100 for a 'kit' is you get all the rubber orings seals and gaskets? Oh well, thanks for the pickup.

John
Captain115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:28 PM   #7509
Captain115
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly_O View Post
I mounted xr600 forks on my Yamaha TT600. I'll be replacing fork seals but don't recall what year the forks are. They are Showa built. They are 43mm. The front end came with an original white front fender with a Camel Pro sticker on it. Can anyone tell me what year(s) came with this setup? TIA, Kelly.

P.S. Red Boots!
I'll bite. I think that they were all Showa (?) and 43mm...but up to 1991 were just dampening forks (appreantly not great) whereas 91 onwards they used cartridge style (a lot better?). I know this doesnt help you IDing the forks but there you go!

I assume someone wouldnt have put the older (shitter) XR forks on a TT. Out of interest, have you ever seen/heard of the TT600 Belgardas? I was soooo close to buying one, they look sick and pimped as shit. Full Ohlins,braided lines, brembo brakes etc, all made in Italy.

Cheers,

John
Captain115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 03:31 PM   #7510
deejay_xr
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain115 View Post
I assumed they came in the gasket kits? If not, then why not? I thought the reason you pay $100 for a 'kit' is you get all the rubber orings seals and gaskets? Oh well, thanks for the pickup.

John
You know what they say about assumption?

O-rings yes, oil seals no, alas. You'll have to buy 'em seperately
Atleast that's how it was with my complete gasket set, came with gaskets, o-rings, exhaust rings and valve seals.
I would check this before buying
Old 03-23-2013, 06:55 PM   #7511
elsalvadorklr
southern xr rider

Oddometer: 4,149
Quote:
You know what they say about assumption?

O-rings yes, oil seals no, alas. You'll have to buy 'em seperately
Atleast that's how it was with my complete gasket set, came with gaskets, o-rings, exhaust rings and valve seals.
I would check this before buying

best bang for buck both seals and oil rings is K AND S kits on ebay...they are reputable and oem factory where needed, for example they use viton and glue on gaskets where oem do, like the valve cover gasket is a glue sandwich and viton at the crank seal...they are very important.

k and s complete rebuild kits(you can see pics on my rebuild thread) are complete!

cheers
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:57 PM   #7512
elsalvadorklr
southern xr rider

Oddometer: 4,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Club View Post
Yeah I am, and as said, from the looks of it the chain and sprockets are aligning..
looks aint right

do this, run a line from each end of the axle center to a fixed point on the middle of the swingarm or sides od the swingarm...

its a bit hard sometimes to do this and you can use a helper

you can also run lines from axles to axles...

get a helper to keep the bike upright and centered then run lines from axle center to axle centers on the forks

if they are uneven then play with the snail adjusters...

good luck
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 02:21 AM   #7513
T4EaterJonny
Not too hip...

Oddometer: 64
I would just T in to one of the wires running off the killswitch, but not make it so obvious. I'd do it down the line somewhere. I don't have the typical dirt bike killswitch on the left side handlebar- my old school baja designs killswitch is mounted in the triple clamp.
Hey what kind of mirrors do you guys like running?
I have a fold down acerbis one but the screw stripped out the plastic and it just slips and vibrates to hell and looks like crap. I know this is a dirt bike but I want it to look a little more grown up with some more permanent looking ones. Want more adjustability than the MSR style.

oh ya... i'm on the stock tank. I think elsalvador said the IMS boils the gas... another tank leaves nearly a gallon untouched because it gets stuck... Which is the best tank to buy? stocker is just meh. i think it is only good for like 70 miles at best even just highway.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:22 AM   #7514
RoostMaster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
Hey Capitaaan,

Def' do the cam chain tensioner spring, yeah about $3, at last some thing cheap for ya !
Do your home work on how to fit 'em cause they can be a S.T.R.U.G.G.L.E, there would be several ways, I use a cable tie and burn it open/off with a red hot Stanley knife blade with fuse wire attached to pull it out !...

I'd be interested in what are peoples thoughts on BACKING OFF all torque settings by a few due to the aged/older soft ally cases to save stripping them, or will shit start to fall off????? Lock Tight ??
RoostMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:43 AM   #7515
Royal Club
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoostMaster View Post
Hey Capitaaan,

Def' do the cam chain tensioner spring, yeah about $3, at last some thing cheap for ya !
Do your home work on how to fit 'em cause they can be a S.T.R.U.G.G.L.E, there would be several ways, I use a cable tie and burn it open/off with a red hot Stanley knife blade with fuse wire attached to pull it out !...

I'd be interested in what are peoples thoughts on BACKING OFF all torque settings by a few due to the aged/older soft ally cases to save stripping them, or will shit start to fall off????? Lock Tight ??
helicoil all the way mate

My stator side crank case has like 10 helicoils, the head for the valve cover another 10..