Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2013, 06:43 PM   #7561
deejay_xr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by joexr View Post
Are the earlier tanks different?
Yeah they are, if you look at my picture on the previous page you'll see that <'88 the side panels didn't line up with the gas tank like they did later on.

Because the >'88 gas tank connects to the side panels, the 'tip' of the tank under the seat has a flat edge that the earlier models do not have
Old 03-27-2013, 09:54 PM   #7562
HeadTrauma
\_(ツ)_/

Oddometer: 1,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by deejay_xr View Post
I suppose the factory numbers would atleast HAVE to be crank hp's instead of wheel hp's to explain the discrepancy
That is exactly how manufacturers rate their engines; at the crank. IMO, a big port XL600 should be capable of over 40rwhp in uncorked stock trim (they were rated at 43bhp), but probably not an '88+ XR. Bikes generally have about 14% driveline loss on a dyno with a street tire. Knobbies are substantially worse from what I have heard.

14% loss means 36rwhp is around 42bhp.

That old thread on TT with the guy saying his uncorked bike made 46rwhp and 49hp with minor mods is a joke.

HeadTrauma screwed with this post 03-27-2013 at 10:00 PM
HeadTrauma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:51 AM   #7563
deejay_xr
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the reply HT

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadTrauma View Post
Bikes generally have about 14% driveline loss on a dyno with a street tire. Knobbies are substantially worse from what I have heard.
Yeah that's what I thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadTrauma View Post

That old thread on TT with the guy saying his uncorked bike made 46rwhp and 49hp with minor mods is a joke.
I figured as much

Is it really true that the dual carb models made noticably more power than the later models?
Old 03-28-2013, 12:44 PM   #7564
Royal Club
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
I do notice my XR has lost some uber low end grunt. Even when considering I upped the rearsprocket tooth count. (40->43)

My old head gave me more torque (feeling wise..) around 2000rpm.. Now I sometimes downshift to avoid it from shuddering..

Went to work today with the piggy,

Now, thinking i've done pretty much errything, clutch slips

If I WOT it in a higher gear on low speeds it slips a while and at the end it engages again.. Also, my clutch engages at the very end of my clutchlever.. eh, movement? Whats it called. If you release the lever, it will engage at allmost the last part of the movement it makes..

Me thinks replacing the springs AND plates... Any thoughts? and which brand and type? Preferable not too expensive..
Old 03-28-2013, 01:11 PM   #7565
Huskylove
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
I used the ebc clutch kit, and with the cam, 644cc piston and big carb/header it never slipped and made for awesome 4th gear wheelies
Old 03-28-2013, 01:11 PM   #7566
deejay_xr
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Club View Post
I do notice my XR has lost some uber low end grunt. Even when considering I upped the rearsprocket tooth count. (40->43)

My old head gave me more torque (feeling wise..) around 2000rpm.. Now I sometimes downshift to avoid it from shuddering..

Went to work today with the piggy,

Now, thinking i've done pretty much errything, clutch slips

If I WOT it in a higher gear on low speeds it slips a while and at the end it engages again.. Also, my clutch engages at the very end of my clutchlever.. eh, movement? Whats it called. If you release the lever, it will engage at allmost the last part of the movement it makes..

Me thinks replacing the springs AND plates... Any thoughts? and which brand and type? Preferable not too expensive..
Damn dude !

The silver lining is that you don't have to remove the damn engine from the frame to fix that !

You sure you have enough free play in the lever right? Just to make sure that's not it.

Looks good btw
Old 03-28-2013, 01:15 PM   #7567
Royal Club
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejay_xr View Post
Damn dude !

The silver lining is that you don't have to remove the damn engine from the frame to fix that !

You sure you have enough free play in the lever right? Just to make sure that's not it.

Looks good btw
pretty happy about that too..

The lever has I think a cm or 2 of play..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskylove View Post
I used the ebc clutch kit, and with the cam, 644cc piston and big carb/header it never slipped and made for awesome 4th gear wheelies
how is the lever feel? I don't want a heavy clutch feel..
Old 03-28-2013, 01:44 PM   #7568
Huskylove
Adventurer

hard but adjustable asv shorty lever and it felt great to be honest.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:53 PM   #7569
Royal Club
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
hard but adjustable asv shorty lever and it felt great to be honest.
hmm.. I had a aftermarket perch and lever on the to do (to buy rather..) list... so maybe it'll work out.. Is it linear or does the feel get heavier?
Old 03-28-2013, 02:06 PM   #7570
Huskylove
Adventurer

It is linear. You get more pull out of the asv lever vs stock lever. Feel is nice honestly. I would never go back if I put the xr back together.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:09 PM   #7571
Royal Club
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
It is linear. You get more pull out of the asv lever vs stock lever. Feel is nice honestly. I would never go back if I put the xr back together.
Then I think i'll go for a EBC set, since its the only thing available in the Netherlands as far as I can see..
Old 03-28-2013, 03:29 PM   #7572
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,598
Clutch lever movement is called TRAVEL

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:47 PM   #7573
Royal Club
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
Clutch lever movement is called TRAVEL
thanks!
Old 03-28-2013, 07:42 PM   #7574
elsalvadorklr
southern xr rider

Oddometer: 4,149
royal congrats on the dyno, not bad at all in my book...

ps. like ht said yes all hp numbers honda and all manufacturers put out back in the day is crank hp...plus at least 10% jajajaja

my yammie xt was 43hp, the xr600 is supposed to be 46, my yammie had much more low end grunt from the dual carb and head design, STOCK

hopefully next week Ill be able to teardown my baby so I can see wtf went wrong, eeeeh, sucks...miss the bike and the forums!

peace dudes!

keep on riding!
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:59 PM   #7575
Captain115
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Club View Post
Hp etc from dyno!
Good work Royal, it's great to know roughly what our bikes make and not just numbers which are chosen by the manufacturer (not saying that Honda made it up, but if it was my company I would post the highest figures without mentioning how I got it, ie fuel consumption I would also use highway figures so my product looks better)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsalvadorklr View Post
hopefully next week Ill be able to teardown my baby so I can see wtf went wrong, eeeeh, sucks...miss the bike and the forums!
peace dudes!keep on riding!
Hey so what happened to selling the XR? Or more importantly, what happened to the bike that you need to tear it down again? I must've missed this somewhere.

Oh and FYI to the people on this thread, my rebuild is still happening...I am just waiting for the money to come in so I can buy all the parts. One big purchase sucks to save up for, but saves me hundreds in shipping.

John
Captain115 is offline   Reply With Quote