Old 03-30-2013, 01:35 PM   #7592
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by deejay_xr View Post
Sweet !

Is that anodized or powder coat?
Anodized. Besides mentioned in the XRL thread, the detail is the other give away on the top. Powdercoating "blurs" the details.
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:20 PM   #7593
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoostMaster View Post
Mate of mine has an old XT600 that had a strange miss on idle, every 20 or so seconds it would hiccup and briefly cut out before continuing on idling...

Mechanic suggested that a valve was leaking, only when that valve rotated to a position where the mate against the seat was foul... ie: every time it rotate to the 12 o'clock, if briefly missed. I never have thunk it !
thats EXACTLY what my first thought was...

the worst case scenario is a loose valve seat OR bent valves...timing is good though...since I just reinstalled my oem cam and rocker set.

thanks for the help I will let you guys know as soon as SEMANA SANTA or holy week is over

holy week means beer week down here! jajaja
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:46 PM   #7594
deejay_xr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsalvadorklr View Post
thats EXACTLY what my first thought was...

the worst case scenario is a loose valve seat OR bent valves...timing is good though...since I just reinstalled my oem cam and rocker set.

thanks for the help I will let you guys know as soon as SEMANA SANTA or holy week is over

holy week means beer week down here! jajaja
Cheers then !
Old 03-30-2013, 06:05 PM   #7595
deejay_xr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
Anodized. Besides mentioned in the XRL thread, the detail is the other give away on the top. Powdercoating "blurs" the details.
Ah yes, I see it
Old 03-30-2013, 09:33 PM   #7596
HeadTrauma
\_(ツ)_/

Oddometer: 1,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoostMaster View Post
Mate of mine has an old XT600 that had a strange miss on idle, every 20 or so seconds it would hiccup and briefly cut out before continuing on idling...

Mechanic suggested that a valve was leaking, only when that valve rotated to a position where the mate against the seat was foul... ie: every time it rotate to the 12 o'clock, if briefly missed. I never have thunk it !
Valve rotation is not an uncommon occurrence, but one revolution every 20 seconds is extreme for idle speed.
HeadTrauma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:38 AM   #7597
Royal Club
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
ffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

gonna heat the linkpipe and bend it a bit inwards and give it a new clamp..
Old 03-31-2013, 12:09 PM   #7598
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

carboned up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadTrauma View Post
Valve rotation is not an uncommon occurrence, but one revolution every 20 seconds is extreme for idle speed.
Im going to try to mist the intake since this all happened after a ride with low quality 87 gas down here, thats all I could find...of course the bike handled it fine but with the hrc cam and whatnot maybe I carboned it up way to much and now my seats and head are all carboned up and therefore not sealing 100 percent of the time..

just me thinking out loud here. I really dont want to tear the engine down again for craps sake...especially since my rocker cover does NOT leak now jajaja

so

water intale throttle fun coming soon1 jajaja

if it improves just a bit then I know I can try some seafoam or similar stuff and run some super high octane gas and boost

maybe just maybe it will clean it up

I DOUBT IT THOUGH JAJAJAJAJAJA:ro fl
Old 03-31-2013, 12:11 PM   #7599
The Dogger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
Compressing piston rings

Evening all

I'm having a bit of trouble compressing the piston rings . I've got a ring compressor , the sort that has a square key on the side to ratchet it up . For "small engines" with a piston size of between 53 mm & 125mm

Am I right in thinking that the new piston is fitted to the rod , then the barrel is slid over it ? ( with compressor in place ?? ) If so , how do I remove the compressor ?

You tube vids show the piston and rod being dropped into place together during a full rebuild process ( admittedly for a car rebuild )

I've had a look at Steve's excellent rebuild thread http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=713831 ( which inspired me to have a go at this myself ) but I can't work out how to get the tool off , or to be honest , how to get the rings into the barrel with the tool in place

Cheers , Stu

Any help greatly appreciated
The Dogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:20 PM   #7600
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

here is what has worked for me, and I dont use any special tools just patience beleive it or not

1. drink a nice cold beer
2. clean barrel nicely
3. do not oil anything but the piston skirt bottoms, I have become a huge fan of dry fitting a pistion and rings now after seing those nice japanese fellows man dangle and install xr600 pistin dry as well you know on youtube vids, sekei something they are called.
4. install piston with all rings on rod...lube pin rod
5. jack the rod on both sides with some wood and balance the piston bottooms on it so the piston and rod combo stands alone by itself
6. with completely dry barrel and gasket installed I have luck by compressing the rings individually while jiggling back and forth from front to back. I have small fingers so I can usually feel the ring ends or gaps and thats where I compress, then I push down on barrel a bit, then compress mid riungs, the do the same till you get to the top ring.

I also break in the engine with a lot of engine compression DOWNHILL and nic long streteches of proggresive throttle

this method works great. I had a bad experience on my first rebuild and over oiling everything and among other things I had bad sealing rings that never did their job...

cheers
Old 03-31-2013, 12:43 PM   #7601
The Dogger
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsalvadorklr View Post
here is what has worked for me, and I dont use any special tools just patience beleive it or not

1. drink a nice cold beer
2. clean barrel nicely
3. do not oil anything but the piston skirt bottoms, I have become a huge fan of dry fitting a pistion and rings now after seing those nice japanese fellows man dangle and install xr600 pistin dry as well you know on youtube vids, sekei something they are called.
4. install piston with all rings on rod...lube pin rod
5. jack the rod on both sides with some wood and balance the piston bottooms on it so the piston and rod combo stands alone by itself
6. with completely dry barrel and gasket installed I have luck by compressing the rings individually while jiggling back and forth from front to back. I have small fingers so I can usually feel the ring ends or gaps and thats where I compress, then I push down on barrel a bit, then compress mid riungs, the do the same till you get to the top ring.

I also break in the engine with a lot of engine compression DOWNHILL and nic long streteches of proggresive throttle

this method works great. I had a bad experience on my first rebuild and over oiling everything and among other things I had bad sealing rings that never did their job...

cheers
Cheers Christian

1. Beer......... sounds good so far
2.Ok , ..........after beer
3.Bugger , just oiled it . Back to youtube I go ( with beer )
4.Ok
5.Got a wooden support made up ready
6.In the order Ring 1, Ring 2 , Oil Ring ( top to bottom , no ? )

I'd tried it by hand , but the oil didn't help .

Thanks , and good luck with your bike
Old 03-31-2013, 12:48 PM   #7602
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

yeah oil does NOT help with the hand install

if you dont want clean all oil you can also simply use metal zipties the thicker the better and loosely compress them like steve shows, you install over rings overlapping in a sense loosely then you install barrel over rings and ziptie(Im brain farting here, metal clamp or 2 is what I mean) and then you push down on barrel top firmly and more often than not you go straight in}

MAN DOES THIS SOUND LIKE SEX OR WHAT? jajaja

sorry
Old 03-31-2013, 01:25 PM   #7603
The Dogger
Gnarly Adventurer

Jubilee clips ??

By overlapping , do you mean a bit of the ring sticking out of the top ( of whatever works to compress it ? ) . They're 1.2mm & 1.5mm wide , not sure if my eyes are up to that

Looking back at Steve's thread , I omitted to check the ring gaps , now I'm worried that the rings are too big / or the gap's not big enough . It's a JE Piston , btw

Cheers , Stu
Old 03-31-2013, 03:51 PM   #7604
Dino3310
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Club View Post
I still have to try using a heatgun to get it a bit glossy, its all matte now.
i just use the odd spray and wipe with silicon 808 to keep her semi glossy, but hey its an XR rough and dirty looks good too
Dino3310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 03:54 PM   #7605
joexr
Banned

Oddometer: 3,773
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dogger View Post
Jubilee clips ??

By overlapping , do you mean a bit of the ring sticking out of the top ( of whatever works to compress it ? ) . They're 1.2mm & 1.5mm wide , not sure if my eyes are up to that

Looking back at Steve's thread , I omitted to check the ring gaps , now I'm worried that the rings are too big / or the gap's not big enough . It's a JE Piston , btw

Cheers , Stu
Put each ring in the cylinder by itself and slide the piton in to square the ring up in the cylinder. Remove the piston , leaving the ring. Now measure the end gap.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote