Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-18-2013, 09:12 AM   #7831
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,175
the hardest part is purging the shock while filling and not allowing ANY!!!! air while sealing it up.
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 09:59 AM   #7832
neil p
Adventurer

Oddometer: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealbigman View Post
Got some pics today ,

will try and get them up tomorrow for ya .
Thanks Marco, much appreciated,it clearly can be done.Interesting battery location.
N
neil p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:13 PM   #7833
JGR
I ride in jeans.

Oddometer: 99
WTB XR600R Corbin seat

Hi Everyone...
Looking to buy a Corbin aftermarket seat for the XR, but they are just too expensive for me. If you have one for sale at a reasonable price please let me know! I believe an XR650L seat would fit as well.
Thanks,
Jon
Old 04-18-2013, 04:46 PM   #7834
RoostMaster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
[QUOTE=Kenno;21213928]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoostMaster View Post
Have pulled the forks and rear shock out ready for Eibach make overs, I've never done a shock before but done heaps of forks, anyone got any tips for the rear rebuild, I've ordered seals and dealer will do the nitro refill. What type of to use and how much oil?

Just about to strip it down, Roost.[/QUOTE

Hi Roostmaster,

I did my rear shock 18 months ago, went and got a can of honda 10w cushion oil which was the same price as everything else anyway.

I used just under half a litre with spillage etc as well.

The manual has instructions but here is how I dealt with bleeding it.

Once I had put the new seals etc in and had it ready for assembly I fitted the nitrogen bladder with a couple of PSI of air (you'll figure out why if you don't) then the damping valve just enough to seal the oring then filled the main chamber with oil to the bottom(upside down).
Fit the rod and piston and rock it sideways a touch to let most air past it then push the piston down into the oil and let it bleed through the valves to the rod side (do it over an oil tray because a fair bit will come out), don't push the piston all the way in, there is no point at this stage.
Put in your rod seal unit with new seals fitted then fit the circlip into the keeper groove, all parts should already be on the rod before fitting the piston anyway.
There will be air in the oil but you did your best up to this point, now turn the shock over so the rod is hanging down and with your shock sitting on the edge of a bench slowly move the rod/piston assembly up and down to let air in the rod side bleed through to the main chamber via the piston valve plates, you should try and keep it vertical, i did it over half an hour for a couple of minutes at a time slowly to get rid of suspended air bubbles as well.
You will feel the valving resistance improve as air goes from the rod side to the top of the main chamber.
Let the shock sit in that vertical postion for half an hour to allow micro bubbles to get to the top and ensure sure the rod is fully extended because the rod uses up space for oil volume otherwise.
Half an hour later carefully secure the shock at a 45 degree angle with the nitrogen bladder to the upside and remove the damping valve unit to expose the oil chamber in the main shock body and fill with oil using a syringe or small funnel, you can move the shock down to horizontal to let the last air bubbles out now as well, get oil into the bladder chamber hole as much as possible as well, no air is the goal.
Install the compression damping valve with the valve screwed right out on the softest setting so it bypasses some oil as you tighten the fitting.
Take your shock to the nitrogen man before you put the spring on ($6 to fill it at Wayne Leonards in Cairns) and when you are ready to fill it compress the shock vertically so the rod goes all the way in while you hold your valve open on the bladder just enough until it reaches full compression then let the valve go, do not extend you shock now or you will draw air in around the bladder, get the gas man to put 165PSI of nitrogen in there which should seal it up nicely and it will start to extend your shock which you can assist carefully now.
Take it home and spring it up.

The reason I did the compressing of the bladder with the piston at gas time was to get rid of all air inside the bladder because the first time I gassed it I left that part out and my shock got so hot I thought it was going to explode and I had no damping at all due to thin oil at high temp on the Cape York ride, nitrogen seems to run it cooler.
My Nephew was on my other XR600 right alongside me and that shock was not boiling hot with the original shock still in place from 1994.

Keep everything spotless too.

I have the Eibachs but I reckon the stockies are better on my old 94 for single track, Eibach ok for high speed roads, just my opinion but my 94 gets ridden a lot more as a result.

Cheers
Ken

My 94 nice and steady, steep hills although you would never know.
Perfect, TypeMaster Ken , awesome response. Must of had smoke coming off the keyboard . Will start today.. grinding peening on shaft bit will get done also, very good tip. will post progress.

RoostMaster screwed with this post 04-18-2013 at 05:00 PM
RoostMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:47 AM   #7835
nikolic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
A few pics from a Race a few weeks ago, had a problem with one exhaust valve and my XR didn't want to start when hot... Solvedi it after pushing the pih for 10km's through mud... Great time after all

that's my front wheel in the backgorund :)

parts of the prolog

flying xr :)

after it all

No pics from the 1st day on the track, I was too slow for the photographers...
Old 04-20-2013, 11:52 AM   #7836
BSW
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Nikolic

you are very brave ,I love my big XR but for that kind of riding i use a small 2 smoke.
BSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 02:28 PM   #7837
The Dogger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 119
CRF/XR wheel swap??

Hi

Has anyone got any experience of swapping CRF 450 wheels onto the XR600 ?

Any issues with sprocket & disc ( rotor ) lining up correctly ?

Easy job , or major engineering project ?

Cheers
The Dogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:25 AM   #7838
nikolic
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSW View Post
Nikolic

you are very brave ,I love my big XR but for that kind of riding i use a small 2 smoke.
Well I would use my 2 stroke, but I have none
Old 04-21-2013, 03:39 AM   #7839
BSW
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dogger View Post
Hi

Has anyone got any experience of swapping CRF 450 wheels onto the XR600 ?

Any issues with sprocket & disc ( rotor ) lining up correctly ?

Easy job , or major engineering project ?

Cheers
There was a set of crf 450 talon wheels for sale over here.
I contacted talon eng in the UK to ask would they fit but they replied the were a different fit, pcd of discs etc,
But they may be proved wrong here,keep us posted.
BSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:18 AM   #7840
The Dogger
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSW View Post
There was a set of crf 450 talon wheels for sale over here.
I contacted talon eng in the UK to ask would they fit but they replied the were a different fit, pcd of discs etc,
But they may be proved wrong here,keep us posted.
Interesting , thanks.
I've aquired some 19 inch wheels ( I need a spoked front rather than the Comstar currently fitted which is now banned from the races due to safety issues ) and the front came as a pair with a rear Talon CRF hub, tyres and brake disc .

I'm running the stock 18" rear with a skinny Dunlop k180 front , so traction is poor

A spare sprocket fits , but I'm not sure on the disc. I'll have a proper look after I've sorted the engine .

Cheers
Old 04-21-2013, 05:25 AM   #7841
The Dogger
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikolic View Post
A few pics from a Race a few weeks ago
That looks fun . Is it an Enduro race ? Is the whole course made up of those obstacles , or do you clear those and then head off into the countryside ?
Old 04-22-2013, 02:54 AM   #7842
RoostMaster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
XR rear shock rebuild.

After some excellent advice from other pig owners on the rear suspension, notably, beechum1 & Kenno, I though I'd pass on DISASSEMBLY tips & photo's for future reference for peeps wanting to do the same.

For the best advice on this subject, refer to beecum1 advice and follow this !. https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BwZ...thkey=CO-Np5cM
First off, getting to this point aint hard, no special tools required and only took about 45mins... Can anyone chime in and notice what's missing ?

This is what's came out, most of it spewed out as a big contaminated foaming mess. I let it settle to check out the heavier crap. !

Grinding off the peening.... when manufactured, they 'peen the end of the threat over on the top, this has to be ground off (I used and angle grinder. I've coloured it with yellow texta

As you can see it's ground back, well mostly, I could have gone flush with the top of the nut however I did not want to grind the nut at all. The shims in the shim stack need to be kept clean, to prevent and grinding material and metal fragments even getting close, I taped the lot up.

Here is the nut with a small left over coil of peened over material which was wound off...

Last tip listed is to thread all the shims ect onto wire, at first they look like they are in a nice smallest to biggest order, a closer look reveals other wise DONT GET CAUGHT OUT !

I stand to be corrected on any of the above as this is my first time 'round. Gotta wait for assembly tips as this really sounds like fun !
RoostMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:01 AM   #7843
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,076
awesome job so far roost

congrats, hope the rebuild back up goes well
are your using a seal kit? or just rebuilding? what fluid are you going to put back in?

there are some great options for suspension fluid for the shock if you want to change it up a bit...

cheers
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:02 AM   #7844
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,076
Ill take offers on this kibblewhite spring and titanium retainer kit for aftermarket cams:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=877904

thanks

sorry no pics yet...I can email though
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:20 AM   #7845
nikolic
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dogger View Post
That looks fun . Is it an Enduro race ? Is the whole course made up of those obstacles , or do you clear those and then head off into the countryside ?
It was a day one, second and the third day, it was a ride in the forest. It was a extreme enduro race called King of the Hill. Some ended like this