Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2013, 04:37 PM   #7951
Captain115
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by voltz View Post
thanks for the link,I had not heard of that site before.
did you get a standard cam for your engine ?
Yeah man, went a new Honda OEM cam. Reasons:
  • I am the most novice of novice dirt riders. I do not need more power.
  • Can't buy it from Partzilla so would have to be a separate eBay purchase.
  • I like having the auto decomp. A lot of people don't, especially as it can cause problems, but it gives me peace of mind from kickback.
  • I have heard varying reports on the quality of Hotcams. Mainly it dying and destroying your rockers. This wouldn't matter if they were old rockers etc, but since I have just paid $140 to get new rockers, I would be more than a little sad if they got eaten.
  • Cost more money and reliability is more important to me than performance. See point 1.

However, many people have used Hotcams and love them (especially Stage 1 as you don't have to change rockers). It is up to you I guess. Other cams, eg Megacycle, cyclewizard etc often require hardened rockers so keep that in mind.

Christian (elsavador here) was selling a cyclewizard cam and hardened rockers not that long ago. Probably won't help you since the cost of shipping to Australia was excessive (the reason why I didn't buy them) but there are some good deals around.

Cheers,

John
Captain115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 06:03 PM   #7952
Royal Club
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
Kickback?? Only experienced that once, when I was a newb with kicking the bike over. After that one time it NEVER happend to me again.. And believe me, I have kicked it over a ZILLION times.. (especially with the dual carbs at the time..)
Old 05-01-2013, 08:32 PM   #7953
Captain115
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Club View Post
Kickback?? Only experienced that once, when I was a newb with kicking the bike over. After that one time it NEVER happend to me again.. And believe me, I have kicked it over a ZILLION times.. (especially with the dual carbs at the time..)
Yes, and I never experienced kickback in the (short) time I had the XR working. Whether that was thanks to the auto decomp or I got lucky and quickly got the technique downpat, I'm not sure. But wasn't the reason they put it in the later models to reduce the chance of kickback?

So therefore by removing it you possibly may increase that chance?

For sure Royal, if you follow the drill and all should be fine. But that is piece of information that a potential Hotcam buyer should realise when they are considering their options.

Example: when I bought the XR, if someone had said that it had a Hotcam and therefore no auto decop I would be put off buying it, since the idea of reduced kickback is reassuring to new rider. Especially with the tales of broken ankles etc from the XR500s. Does that sort of make sense? Regardless of whether it worked or not.

Cheers,
John

Captain115 screwed with this post 05-01-2013 at 08:43 PM
Captain115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:35 PM   #7954
voltz
Rebuilding

Oddometer: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain115 View Post
Yes, and I never experienced kickback in the (short) time I had the XR working. Whether that was thanks to the auto decomp or I got lucky and quickly got the technique downpat, I'm not sure. But wasn't the reason they put it in the later models to reduce the chance of kickback?

So therefore by removing it you possibly may increase that chance?

For sure Royal, if you follow the drill and all should be fine. But that is piece of information that a potential Hotcam buyer should realise when they are considering their options.

Example: when I bought the XR, if someone had said that it had a Hotcam and therefore no auto decop I would be put off buying it, since the idea of reduced kickback is reassuring to new rider. Especially with the tales of broken ankles etc from the XR500s. Does that sort of make sense? Regardless of whether it worked or not.

Cheers,
John
I removed the decompressors from previous XR600's and never had any trouble.
I would imagine all of us here would have horror stories of endlessly kicking
the beast at some time but once you get the hang of it you'll be right.
I wouldn't let horror stories of broken ankles worry you John.
As far as I knew the decompressor was mainly removed to stop a cough/stall
when the bike was idling due to wear in the mechanism allowing the exhaust
valve to open slightly

Geoff

96 XR600 currently undergoing a makeover
voltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:13 PM   #7955
Motomechanic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Quote:
good idea,I'll see how I go with it
thanks
Once you get these parts looking good get them clear powdercoated. I've done it to road bike wheels before and am doing the same to the tripple clamps and swingarm on my xr. you almost can't tell, takes only a little of the shine away and will never tarnish. Saves you hours and hours and hours of polishing in the long run.
Motomechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:27 PM   #7956
voltz
Rebuilding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motomechanic View Post
Once you get these parts looking good get them clear powdercoated. I've done it to road bike wheels before and am doing the same to the tripple clamps and swingarm on my xr. you almost can't tell, takes only a little of the shine away and will never tarnish. Saves you hours and hours and hours of polishing in the long run.
sounds like a good idea,thanks for the tip :)

Old 05-02-2013, 02:15 AM   #7957
Royal Club
Gnarly Adventurer

in most cases, people who get a kickback either don't know how to kick the piggy over, or hold the throttle open, which is really just asking for it..

But I understand why you went for a stock cam.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:39 AM   #7958
deejay_xr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Club View Post
in most cases, people who get a kickback either don't know how to kick the piggy over, or hold the throttle open, which is really just asking for it..

But I understand why you went for a stock cam.
It can also happen by just turning in the idle screw a little, which I need to do to start in some cases.
For example, when the bike is the tiniest little bit hot, it won't start on choke anymore and I have to start it without choke on higher idle.

I've never had anything really drastic happen, but the few kickbacks I have had are a reason for me to wear my boots at all times when I start the pig, not my sneakers
Old 05-02-2013, 02:43 AM   #7959
Royal Club
Gnarly Adventurer

Really? I have mine set at around 1500rpm idle when its hot, never had any kickback ish symptoms..
Old 05-02-2013, 03:08 AM   #7960
voltz
Rebuilding

having trouble finding a replacement chain slider that fits to the frame
(in between the front sprocket and the frame)
has anyone done a roller conversion or can point me to someone who makes the replacement ?

Geoff

Old 05-02-2013, 04:40 AM   #7961
lookfar
from the land of OZ

Oddometer: 574
Quote:
having trouble finding a replacement chain slider that fits to the frame
(in between the front sprocket and the frame)
has anyone done a roller conversion or can point me to someone who makes the replacement ?

Geoff
My '88 has/had a front slider made from a nylon cutting board cut to shape.

Theoretically, it still has it, but seeing as how it is spread all over the workshop floor at present, I think that I can say had it.
1985 XL250R
1985 XL600R 1988 XR600

lookfar screwed with this post 05-02-2013 at 04:46 AM
lookfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:44 PM   #7962
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,076
here is what I did for my lower slider, its fixed and I just rotate whenever the wheel flattens a bit been on for like 3.5 years now

elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:58 PM   #7963
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

about kickback and autodecomp

thought id chime in since I briefly suffered from this when swapping carbs and headers.

kickback can happen from many different factors

1. jetting(specifically rich)
2. intake leaks
3. cracked headers
4. electrical issues like bad spark.
5. carb is flooded or you have fuel in the intake like after a spill...

In my case I took off my autodecomp off my stock cam and had the hrc cw cam without one too because I chose to and read up on it when doing my first rebuild...its mainly there to aid starting and in my opinion mostly to avoid kickback and owner lawsuits! jajaj

But something that has not been mentioned is that the autodecomp makes valve adjustments a nuissance!

read the xrl thread and every week or so you have somebody complaining about how hard it is to get the right adjusment on that valve or how they "missed" tdc...etc...

its so damn easy without it, and you can roll the engine in gear back and forth with no issues about the damn right exhaust lash etc...or missing tdc etc...it makes no difference

like steve says though...there is no reason to take off the autodecomp at all, you dont gain anything but SIMPLICITY.

Some people HAVE had them fail, and that is the reason I took mine off since I didnt know the condition of mine since I bought my bike in boxes in a non running state.

so, lastly RICH, or overly rich jetting will cause kickbacks ESPECIALLY if you eliminate the autodecomp on the cam, since you have to have jetting perfect to avoid it, which I do have now, even with the mikuni and dual headers.

just thought id share this little info..for those that are interested

just an opinion
Old 05-02-2013, 01:11 PM   #7964
voltz
Rebuilding

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookfar View Post
My '88 has/had a front slider made from a nylon cutting board cut to shape.

Theoretically, it still has it, but seeing as how it is spread all over the workshop floor at present, I think that I can say had it.
sounds like some good old aussie ingenuity there Stu ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsalvadorklr View Post
here is what I did for my lower slider, its fixed and I just rotate whenever the wheel flattens a bit been on for like 3.5 years now

thats the idea I'm after ES :)
what did you get the roller wheel from ?

Geoff

Old 05-02-2013, 01:20 PM   #7965
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer

your friendly hardware store

replacement nylon rubber wheels for carts...they come in all sizes and shapes...cost less than a dollar