Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2013, 03:34 PM   #8026
voltz
Rebuilding

Oddometer: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain115 View Post
Ahhh, bastards they're ripping you off haha. I always think it's amusing that engine capacities are often rounded up...though I guess XR600 follows better than XR591.

Thanks Geoff, that is definitely easier! I am maths tutor so just went with the standard all cylinder volume formula (area of base x height) but your way is quicker to calulate an approximate value in my head.

Cheers,
John
I must admit I did do a `second take' when I saw your formula, I'm a mechanic by trade and very early on in our training we learnt the basics
but I never remembered pi being used.
All I remember from school maths was pi = 22/7 or .3142 (I think :eek: ) but I have no clue how to use it,it just stuck in my brain all those years ago
As for quick calculations in your head,you go for it buddy! I need a calculator lol

96 XR600 currently undergoing a makeover
voltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:08 PM   #8027
Captain115
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
Hey everyone,

So I walked past an older DR yesterday, the ones with the 21/18 wheels and noticed it had some 100% street tyres on. Closer inspection revealed Bridgestone BT45's, the same as what I'm running on my little road bike (Honda CBF250). I quite like this as a front on my road bike, more so than the Pirelli Sport Demon it replaced, though I'm running a Sport Demon on the rear still.

See here: http://www.bridgestone.com/products/...tlax/bt45.html

Had a look online, and they seem to be one of the few manufacturers who put out a 21/18 street combo (except for the Avons). I started toying with the idea of picking up some cheap 21/18 wheels for the XR, which are a lot easier to get than 17's and don't have to worry about spacers and caliper mounts etc, and put BT45's on as a second set to ride during the week...thoughts?

I haven't read much about street riding with 21/18's since practically all the motard riders put on 17's...I assume so they have a greater number of options for tyres and can spoon on wider tyres. But is there any problem with doing the 21/18 road tyre idea?

Does having such a large front diameter change the ability to grip the road or....? Suggestion and comments are appreciated.

Thanks,

John
Captain115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:31 PM   #8028
voltz
Rebuilding

Nothing wrong with that at all John, for years I have run road/trail tyres as my bikes were always dual purpose and I have quite often blown away street bikes on these dual purpose tyres and also blown away dirt bikes in the bush running the knobby tyres :)

Old 05-08-2013, 07:44 PM   #8029
Todd36
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Clutch rebuild for a noob...

Hey guys, Sorry my first post is asking for help. Ive recently made the return to two wheels after a 17yr. break, and picked up a 96' XR600R. Im gonna put in a new clutch this weekend and was wondering if you guys could offer any tips/advice for me. Or point me in the direction of an online manual or How-to. It seems like it should be a pretty straight foward process with basic hand tools, but thought I better ask first. Thanks in advance for any help.
Todd36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:06 PM   #8030
Captain115
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 270
Sooooo I re-read this XR rebuild http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=397357 and got down to the bit where he finds a plug and turns out it's the transmission plug that sits in the end of the countershaft to help oiling...

I had a look, and I don't have this piece and I don't think I can buy it separately? I assume it is pretty important, so where should I go from here? Get one from a used shaft (heyyy Steve...)?

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltz View Post
Nothing wrong with that at all John, for years I have run road/trail tyres as my bikes were always dual purpose and I have quite often blown away street bikes on these dual purpose tyres and also blown away dirt bikes in the bush running the knobby tyres :)
Cool, I'll keep an eye out for a spare set of XR wheels then!

Cheers,

John
Captain115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:47 PM   #8031
JAB
Unsprung Weight

Oddometer: 1,227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan3609 View Post
Naturally right after I dump my savings into getting my motor running again, a guy throws up some goodies on Craigslist locally.

I have the stock tank on my bike right now and I want something bigger. This guy wants $150 for a 5.6 gal acerbis tank that is in good condition.

Anyone ever use one of these tanks? I know that this big of a tank is going to hurt the trails ability of my bike putting that much gas that high up, but makes it into a long range adventure monster for some of my dual sport adventures.

Bigger then I was hoping for but price is right.. What do you guys have to say about big tanks?

Sent from my phablet
I like my big Aceribis tank. Easy to get over 200 miles out of it. Has 2 petcocks rather than 1 for the stocker. Some say they notice fuel moving around in it, but I guess I am busy enough not to notice.
Fits good, but you have to pull it to do anything besides adding oil or changing plugs. It is pretty wide as you move forward and can push my knees out if I manage to get myself up that far forward.
Good bit of kit overall.
Old 05-08-2013, 09:52 PM   #8032
Airguitar
Thumpin'!!

Oddometer: 377
I just brought this Fella in from the cold. It's a 1988..
Some work to do on her, but hey, that's why I bought it!
Old 05-08-2013, 10:10 PM   #8033
Swan3609
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAB View Post
I like my big Aceribis tank. Easy to get over 200 miles out of it. Has 2 petcocks rather than 1 for the stocker. Some say they notice fuel moving around in it, but I guess I am busy enough not to notice.
Fits good, but you have to pull it to do anything besides adding oil or changing plugs. It is pretty wide as you move forward and can push my knees out if I manage to get myself up that far forward.
Good bit of kit overall.
Good to hear. It's going to stretch me thin on cash, but I think I am going to pick it up. Worst comes, I figure I could sell it at a 20 loss.

Sent from my phablet
Swan3609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:00 PM   #8034
Alaskajeff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,061
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
Bottom line. Don't do it...
Don't do what? Please explain.
1 Tim 6:11-12 "FIGHT the GOOD Fight"
2011 Verys ADV
92 FATBOY (in rebuild status)
Alaskajeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:08 PM   #8035
Alaskajeff
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltz View Post
it's no Kush drive but supposedly these sprockets outlast others by far,
might be worth a look
http://www.chaingangchainsandsprockets.com.au/
YIKES!! I thought Kush Sprockets were expensive.....They do look nice but still wouldn't provide me with any cushioning in my driveline.
2011 Verys ADV
Old 05-08-2013, 11:10 PM   #8036
Alaskajeff
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airguitar View Post
I just brought this Fella in from the cold. It's a 1988..
Some work to do on her, but hey, that's why I bought it!
Looks like a good start. Does it run? What type of things does it need? Mine looked very similar when I started with it. HIDE YOUR CREDIT CARDS NOW!! You will thank me later

BTW I don't think the license plate is big enough.......
2011 Verys ADV
Old 05-08-2013, 11:25 PM   #8037
voltz
Rebuilding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskajeff View Post
Looks like a good start. Does it run? What type of things does it need? Mine looked very similar when I started with it. HIDE YOUR CREDIT CARDS NOW!! You will thank me later

BTW I don't think the license plate is big enough.......

as Jeff said, looks like a good base,clean and tidy

lol@licence plate comment

Old 05-08-2013, 11:35 PM   #8038
Alaskajeff
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Naturally right after I dump my savings into getting my motor running again, a guy throws up some goodies on Craigslist locally.

I have the stock tank on my bike right now and I want something bigger. This guy wants $150 for a 5.6 gal acerbis tank that is in good condition.

Anyone ever use one of these tanks? I know that this big of a tank is going to hurt the trails ability of my bike putting that much gas that high up, but makes it into a long range adventure monster for some of my dual sport adventures.

Bigger then I was hoping for but price is right.. What do you guys have to say about big tanks?

Sent from my phablet
It's not that big once you ride it for a while...
2011 Verys ADV
Old 05-08-2013, 11:46 PM   #8039
voltz
Rebuilding

new brake caliper

so....my new front caliper arrived today from England and it's not right :(

can anyone shed some light on the differences ? the ad stated it was for 1985
to 97 XR600

Old 05-09-2013, 03:40 AM   #8040
RoostMaster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 200
Thumb

Quote:
Good to hear. It's going to stretch me thin on cash, but I think I am going to pick it up. Worst comes, I figure I could sell it at a 20 loss.

Sent from my phablet
Hey Swan,
one thing to look out for with these tanks is the moulded in mounting nuts.... they are square brass buttons that are moulded into the plastic.

If you can, get one of the mounting bolts and screw it into each of the holes in turn and see if there is any movement as they get loose over time, loose = leaks ! ( Maybe just a product of over land bikes here in OZ that have done hundreds of klms of corrugation's?)
RoostMaster is offline   Reply With Quote