ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-24-2013, 09:09 AM   #8296
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: el salvador
Oddometer: 4,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
I just picked up a new XR600 project. Well it's paid for but it's 240 miles away from me right now. 1995 XR600 with low to no compression and a whiney, noisy second gear. Easy fixes for me. I have a new Wiseco piston kit at the ready and transmission gears waiting. Unfortunately the bike won't arrive till the 21st of July. Darn...
damn! why the long wait??????????????

post pics boss!
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:42 AM   #8297
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer
 
mcma111's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: San Francisco,Ca.
Oddometer: 10,826
The Mrs went up to Reno this past weekend for a bridal shower. Instead of taking the Excursion and bike carrier they went in the daughters Honda. Next month is the wedding and they will all be in the Excursion. I asked her to bring the engine back with them so I could work on it only to be told that there wasn't enough room for it. Crap!!!
__________________
Steve in SF

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 09:45 AM   #8298
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: el salvador
Oddometer: 4,076
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah women!

guess I got it coming...

2 more months and the baby plops out! yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:06 AM   #8299
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer
 
mcma111's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: San Francisco,Ca.
Oddometer: 10,826
The end is nigh
__________________
Steve in SF

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:44 AM   #8300
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer
 
beechum1's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Herlong, CA. Look it up, I'll wait.
Oddometer: 7,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111 View Post
The Mrs went up to Reno this past weekend for a bridal shower. Instead of taking the Excursion and bike carrier they went in the daughters Honda. Next month is the wedding and they will all be in the Excursion. I asked her to bring the engine back with them so I could work on it only to be told that there wasn't enough room for it. Crap!!!
I got the trailer... Maybe next week I make a trip for you? I'll bring my daughter to SF also!!
__________________
Rally Moto Kit /// Vendor Thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pendragon View Post
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 01:32 PM   #8301
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer
 
mcma111's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: San Francisco,Ca.
Oddometer: 10,826
SOLD. Got that motor you want looked at? We can tear it apart.

Oh crap. I'll probably be rebuilding the rear end in the son's Bronco Saturday.
__________________
Steve in SF

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 07:14 PM   #8302
bamfslap
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Oddometer: 205
What gearing did Summers and other elite cross country racers rock?

What gearing do you guys like and what type of riding/racing do you do?

I'm pretty content with 14/48 and feel any higher would limit the "lazy crawling" attribute, but I'm curious to hear about something different. I mostly ride desert, but our desert can get rocky (read: big boulders) as hell and a lot of open trails turn into tight rocky single tracks. I guess 14/48 is a good in betweener.
bamfslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:17 PM   #8303
voltz
Rebuilding
 
voltz's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Taree,Mid North Coast Australia
Oddometer: 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsalvadorklr View Post
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah women!

guess I got it coming...

2 more months and the baby plops out! yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!
happy days !!

got my first grandchild December last year :)
__________________
Geoff

96 XR600 currently undergoing a makeover
voltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:19 PM   #8304
voltz
Rebuilding
 
voltz's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Taree,Mid North Coast Australia
Oddometer: 94
checking chain and sprocket sizes and the supplier lists for a 96 model
15/39 ............. does this sound correct ?

from memory on my other older bikes the rear was a 48
__________________
Geoff

96 XR600 currently undergoing a makeover
voltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:07 PM   #8305
bamfslap
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by voltz View Post
checking chain and sprocket sizes and the supplier lists for a 96 model
15/39 ............. does this sound correct ?

from memory on my other older bikes the rear was a 48
Hmmm might be an Aus thing since they were road legal there (iirc)?

I think stock in the US was 14/48
bamfslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:42 AM   #8306
RoostMaster
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: MelbVagas
Oddometer: 211
Wicked Rear ratio's

Few weekends ago I rode 500klms on road, 500klm desert soft and hard pack sand, 500klms road, and used 15/45 which was bang on for a compromise ratio, fully loaded.

OFF ROAD 15/39 is way too tall, I reckon it would even fry the clutch. I ran 15/48 for only riding bush which is about right.

Shallow hard sand...


Deep soft sand....

RoostMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 05:51 AM   #8307
RoostMaster
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: MelbVagas
Oddometer: 211
Carby tuning.

I've got the jetting on the piggy pretty much about right. I recently removed the exhaust bung from the Staintune muffler and got a little more throttle snap and, of course noise!
With the bung restrictor removed, this means more air(exhaust) is flowing, making the fuel mix now leaner...??? right ?

Question: Should I now drop the needle one clip and see how she goes for MORE slight improvement?

Question: should the air screw mix be adjusted at all, if so which first clip or screw?

Rooster.
RoostMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:37 AM   #8308
elsalvadorklr
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2008
Location: el salvador
Oddometer: 4,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoostMaster View Post
I've got the jetting on the piggy pretty much about right. I recently removed the exhaust bung from the Staintune muffler and got a little more throttle snap and, of course noise!
With the bung restrictor removed, this means more air(exhaust) is flowing, making the fuel mix now leaner...??? right ?

Question: Should I now drop the needle one clip and see how she goes for MORE slight improvement?

Question: should the air screw mix be adjusted at all, if so which first clip or screw?

Rooster.
did you mean raise the needle or dropping the clip? jajaja dropping the needle will lean it out, Im sure you know that

I honestly dont think this necessitates a change BUT hows about some good old fashioned plug chops? or better yet test runs...

just run around for say 100miles and if it feels better or worse in some places you can tweak the jetting a bit

I would start by moving nothing

If you notice its harder to start or needs more choke turn THE FUEL SCREW out a turn or half a turn

if you have a bog midrange, raise the needle a clip...

if you cant pull full throttle then go up one main jet

one mod at a time...

good luck
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 06:05 PM   #8309
bamfslap
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoostMaster View Post
Few weekends ago I rode 500klms on road, 500klm desert soft and hard pack sand, 500klms road, and used 15/45 which was bang on for a compromise ratio, fully loaded.

OFF ROAD 15/39 is way too tall, I reckon it would even fry the clutch. I ran 15/48 for only riding bush which is about right.

Shallow hard sand...


Deep soft sand....

Hmm how is crawling with 15/48? I might try that, but I love not being able to kill the bike hehe.

Yours a 92? I recognize the blue + red seat. Same as mine, though I swapped it for a black seat.
bamfslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 11:53 PM   #8310
Mike the Yank
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: MILLJURAH Vic. Aus
Oddometer: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamfslap View Post
Hmm how is crawling with 15/48? I might try that, but I love not being able to kill the bike hehe.

Yours a 92? I recognize the blue + red seat. Same as mine, though I swapped it for a black seat.
My 88 came to me with 15/45 being a new rider it was way to fast in the really rough stuff (crossing logs, deep sand) where I had to try to unweight the rear and maintain forward motion.
Changed to a 14/48 and was happy going slow but really busy trying to go fast down dirt roads.
Sitting on 14/45 now and happy all around, haven't toped it out yet, 138 kph so far with more to go, and bearable down low, lots of grunt.

Roostmaster, I put the restricter back in my Staintune and had to drop the needle one click. No other changes.

New question??? How wide of a front tire can I run, and will a wider tire make riding in sand easier??
__________________
It's a lot easier to apologise than to ask permission
Mike the Yank is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014