Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2013, 04:06 AM   #8386
Royal Club
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoostMaster View Post
Politie-afdeling Marketing liep uit sleutelhanger geld ?

Thanks for the tank tips fella's, I'll get on it soon, mate has turned up an adaptor which looks Schmicko ! ROOST.
verdomd, waar ben jij woonachtig dan
Old 07-04-2013, 04:19 AM   #8387
deejay_xr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
That looks like a Google translate action :P

I had to look up schmicko though
Old 07-04-2013, 06:45 PM   #8388
Captain115
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
A new saga

Ok so this is what has happened in the past two days:

Changed the oil and filter at about 110km break in, then went for a ride. Was going fine for about 25kms, then I noticed it was missing between 1/4 to 3/4 throttle, like when you're running out of fuel. So I switched to reserve but it didn't go away (by the way, I had an inline fuel filter to get rid of shit in the fuel)

I noticed that it was shooting soot out the exhaust under throttle so stopped it to have a look.

At first I freaked out thinking it was burning oil and I had just toasted all my new rockers, cam etc. This was especially true when I checked the oil and found it was verrrrry low. So I house-knocked around where I was for some oil, and found a guy who owned an Yamaha SRX which he had just rebuilt. He offered me the oil but did point out I would've had to ride a fair bit to get back home, and so I was welcome to leave the bike at his house and just come back for it.

This sounded like the safer option, so I called my mater to come pick me up. In the mean time I mowed some of the guys yard as thanks for letting me use his garage.When my mate got there, we stuffed the XR in the back of his Patrol (was a really tight fit, as we couldn't be bothered removing the wheels).

Got back home, checked the oil (still very low) and then drained the oil from the frame and engine....getting at least 1.5+L out! Most of it went on the ground as I only had a 1L container, thinking there wasn't much oil left in there.

Pull the engine out and checked the head: all fine, rockers and cams seemed untouched. My guess is the black soot was from it running rich, though it does seem odd that it ran fine for the first few kms and then went to shit.

More importantly, it seems as it me oil pump isn't scavenging back to the frame? So I was going to just cut my losses and buy a replacement second hand pump.

The question is, what year? My XR is an 89 and the eBay offers seem to be earlyish (85-87) or later (95-199)??

Oh and of course I button it back up and broke the top banjo bolt in the valve cover...so now I have to get that out.

All I want to do is have a reliable bike, and ride some dirt with my dad. Should have listened and bought the new DR for $7k. The folly of youth.

Cheers,

John

Captain115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:10 PM   #8389
elsalvadorklr
southern xr rider

Oddometer: 4,151
ok so

put needle in position it should be...not where it is now and sooting up...remeber the bike will run with rich jetting till the plug starts plugging up and acting like crap...

2. did you check for oil flow at the lower banjo after changing the oil?
3. check the oil frame to pump oil hose and see if its kinked...

this will screw up oil flow...

if you still dont trust your pump get a new one.

do not BUY USED unless you know the seller, how old it is and how the bike was ridden and why its being sold...

no point buying a used pump...

(any 88 and above pump works...I beleive the 87 and down pumps have a different seal configuration but will still work

also xrl pumps work and certain nx650 pumps work as does the gb500 pump...)

would you buy a used piston kit? unless it had what 2 miles on it? same for pump unless reasons stated above

good luck
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 07:14 PM   #8390
Royal Club
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain115 View Post
Ok so this is what has happened in the past two days:

Changed the oil and filter at about 110km break in, then went for a ride. Was going fine for about 25kms, then I noticed it was missing between 1/4 to 3/4 throttle, like when you're running out of fuel. So I switched to reserve but it didn't go away (by the way, I had an inline fuel filter to get rid of shit in the fuel)

I noticed that it was shooting soot out the exhaust under throttle so stopped it to have a look.

At first I freaked out thinking it was burning oil and I had just toasted all my new rockers, cam etc. This was especially true when I checked the oil and found it was verrrrry low. So I house-knocked around where I was for some oil, and found a guy who owned an Yamaha SRX which he had just rebuilt. He offered me the oil but did point out I would've had to ride a fair bit to get back home, and so I was welcome to leave the bike at his house and just come back for it.

This sounded like the safer option, so I called my mater to come pick me up. In the mean time I mowed some of the guys yard as thanks for letting me use his garage.When my mate got there, we stuffed the XR in the back of his Patrol (was a really tight fit, as we couldn't be bothered removing the wheels).

Got back home, checked the oil (still very low) and then drained the oil from the frame and engine....getting at least 1.5+L out! Most of it went on the ground as I only had a 1L container, thinking there wasn't much oil left in there.

Pull the engine out and checked the head: all fine, rockers and cams seemed untouched. My guess is the black soot was from it running rich, though it does seem odd that it ran fine for the first few kms and then went to shit.

More importantly, it seems as it me oil pump isn't scavenging back to the frame? So I was going to just cut my losses and buy a replacement second hand pump.

The question is, what year? My XR is an 89 and the eBay offers seem to be earlyish (85-87) or later (95-199)??

Oh and of course I button it back up and broke the top banjo bolt in the valve cover...so now I have to get that out.

All I want to do is have a reliable bike, and ride some dirt with my dad. Should have listened and bought the new DR for $7k. The folly of youth.

Cheers,

John

These things build character
Old 07-04-2013, 07:24 PM   #8391
Captain115
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsalvadorklr View Post
ok so

put needle in position it should be...not where it is now and sooting up...remeber the bike will run with rich jetting till the plug starts plugging up and acting like crap...

2. did you check for oil flow at the lower banjo after changing the oil?
3. check the oil frame to pump oil hose and see if its kinked...

this will screw up oil flow...

if you still dont trust your pump get a new one.

do not BUY USED unless you know the seller, how old it is and how the bike was ridden and why its being sold...

no point buying a used pump...

(any 88 and above pump works...I beleive the 87 and down pumps have a different seal configuration but will still work

also xrl pumps work and certain nx650 pumps work as does the gb500 pump...)

would you buy a used piston kit? unless it had what 2 miles on it? same for pump unless reasons stated above

good luck
My saviour! Yep, I'll change the jetting ASAP, that should sort out the missing problem.

I triple checked oil flow after the oil change, made sure the pump was primed etc. There was definitely oil flow. Plus the head was unscored and there was bulk oil up there.

The hose could be twisted, could I get an upclose photo from someone showing the oil lines so I can verify the routing?

But that would only be the inlet hose hey, so could that effect the oil flow through the outlet hose? Basically, I can't understand why oil wasn't returning to the frame. That's what makes me think it was the scavenge pump? I just can't see why that would happen when it was working fine before the oil change?

Only thing I can think of is maybe a bit of crap got into the pump and buggered the rotor or something?

Re buying a new pump: all seem to be super expensive new...like $242 AUS. I agree with the 'don't buy used' so maybe I'll pull my pump apart and have a look to see if I need to replace any parts.

Oh and when they say '2 turns' for the pilot jet...do they mean 2 360 degree turns? Or 2 180 degree turns? I always have used the first one, but have never been certain...

Thanks man,

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Club View Post
These things build character

Captain115 screwed with this post 07-04-2013 at 07:30 PM
Old 07-04-2013, 10:08 PM   #8392
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,661
I've got a pump for you. Out of a '95 XR600.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 05:30 AM   #8393
RoostMaster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
Carby.

Captain... first off, AWSOME effort getting the big girl in to the back of a fourby like that... that pic is a pisser

Set your carby as per previous instructions. No if's, buts' or maybe's... If you don't have the jets go to a local bike shop, my local Honda shop will just swap them straight over for what you want, no charge.

A 'turn' is 360deg, put a black texta mark on the screw to assist counting.

She is def rich with black smoke, make sure the carb float is installed the correct way up, if upside down she'll still run but be all over the shop AND rich.

Checked the oil screen?
RoostMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:50 AM   #8394
aerone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
Tarded XR600R

I'm looking at a 96 model, Ohlins front and rear, Edelbrock, Talon hubs, Excels, big tank, bored to 640. The guy wants $2500.00 What do you think ?
aerone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:35 AM   #8395
elsalvadorklr
southern xr rider

plated?

make sure the eddie is tuned right...some people love or hate them since when they wear out they are technically missing a circuit so you cant replace the parts necessarily

sounds like a deal otherwise
Old 07-05-2013, 08:36 AM   #8396
deejay_xr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerone View Post
I'm looking at a 96 model, Ohlins front and rear, Edelbrock, Talon hubs, Excels, big tank, bored to 640. The guy wants $2500.00 What do you think ?
Got any pictures?

I'm not that familiar whit what these things fetch in The States, but if everything is on the level that sounds like a pretty decent deal to me !

Stock exhaust ??
Old 07-05-2013, 09:20 AM   #8397
aerone
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
No pictures yet and is plated. I'm trying to do some trading for it. We'll see how it goes.
aerone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:32 AM   #8398
elsalvadorklr
southern xr rider

good luck

make sure you check the typical things...

sprocket is tight on shaft
no smoke
its a big bore so check for engine noise or rattling

the usual stuff...
Old 07-05-2013, 07:18 PM   #8399
motozona
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerone View Post

Buy it and part it out.. let me know when you do :)
motozona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:37 PM   #8400
Captain115
Gnarly Adventurer

Update

Ok so I've:

Checked the hoses for kinks and verified they are clear

disassembled the pump, rechecked all the clearances and made sure it was all fine

put it back together, primed the pump three times (to make sure),

refilled with oil and made sure there was oil going to the head

opened oil check bolt to drain off any excess oil. About 200mL came out, but I had squirted at least 100mL+ into the case while testing various pipes and priming the pump, plus I had put about 2L in so this isn't surprising.

Ran it again, stopped and checked oil check bolt: no oil. So I'd say it's at the right level now.

Doesn't seem like pump is buggered (was pretty sure it was ok) so won't be needing that spare pump at the moment Steve, thanks anyway. Not sure why the oil wasn't scavenging properly when I went for the ride, but seems fine now.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________

Christian, I ordered the 158 and 160 mains, and a 60 pilot, which should be here soonish. I let the bike idle to warm up the oil while testing the pump (didn't trust it to do a proper ride somewhere) and noticed that I could screw the mixture screw the whole way in without the bike dying. Actually it seemed to run pretty good like that!

I've got it at 1/4 turn out for the moment and it starts and idles fine now... this means the current pilot (62) is too big hey, and should be reduced to the 60? Is that right?
I'm just surprised that it came with 165/65 (62?) stock and now it doesn't have a snorkel, has an aftermarket exhaust and air filter and big bore piston yet it seems to be running too rich?

I'll have to wait for the jets to come in before I can properly play around with it though.

Roost, I was hoping Nissan might contact me and ask if they could use that photo as a promo to advertise the space in the back of a Patrol . No such luck yet

Cheers for the suggestions,

John