User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2010, 07:12 PM   #841
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,586
Axle

Sorry but it is the 1993 and forward that has the 17mm axle. Just like the XR650l that came out in 1993. 1992 and back has a 15mm axle.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:37 PM   #842
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,667
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadTrauma
I don't think the crankcase halves were magnesium, but the stator and clutch covers were. '88-90 also had a Nikasil-plated aluminum cylinder, not an iron sleeve like the rest.

'zakly.

In XR600, I've had an '88, '92, and '00.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 07:33 AM   #843
2manyrides
shifty charactor

Oddometer: 1,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcma111
Sorry but it is the 1993 and forward that has the 17mm axle. Just like the XR650l that came out in 1993. 1992 and back has a 15mm axle.
This is the gospal truth

I've just gone through this. A mission to swap out wheels on a 91 didn't work out and the project is still currently stalled.
All suppliers I spoke with stated they couldn't supply me with a set of wheels.
Then cycle gear said no problem, 91-2000 are all the same. I got all the ducks in a row for a saturday transformation only to find something is not right in regards to fitting the front wheel.

Oh, they said they'd make it right and make me happy...
But a new to me bike that I've only put 9 miles on due to the fact it sits in the garage on a stand with out a wheel...
Let's just say....unhappy.
Cycle gear has sent off the assembled warp 9 wheel to utah along with my original bashed front wheel.
In order to do what's quickest and easiest they first tried to find a set of bearings that will fit a warp 9 hub and a 15mm axel. There is no such bird...whatso ever.
So the next thing is to take the original hub and fit a warp 9 rim and stainless oversize spokes. Cycle gear is to supply a new rotor. That still doesn't get me new bearings and I may get a store credit. But I'm out a back up oem front wheel. There's no way to be happy.
I had my heart set on a matching pair of new hubs and wheels, so... I just bought a used set of forks and an axel from a 94xr600l, Now after I scrape the dough together I'll have to buy another warp 9 front.
When that happens I intend to just swap out fork tubes in the clamps on the 91 with the 94 forks. Don't tell me this wont work...or...do tell me before I buy another front wheel.
Here's a repeat from an earlier post. just got the 91, just got all the ducks in a row.
Next day after fitting the rear with no trouble I find the front didn't jive.

Still waiting for a front wheel so I can further determine what's up with the shifting between 4th+5th, and do a leakdown test.
I've pretty much come to the conclusion that I'll need to run my 1992 motor in the 91 xr for this season while I sort out the 91 motor.

22manyrides

and here's my channel...
http://www.youtube.com/user/2manyrides?feature=mhsn#p/u
2manyrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 07:45 AM   #844
Jeff@TheQuadShop
TAT survivor

Oddometer: 4,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22manyrides
This is the gospal truth

I've just gone through this. A mission to swap out wheels on a 91 didn't work out and the project is still currently stalled.
All suppliers I spoke with stated they couldn't supply me with a set of wheels.
Then cycle gear said no problem, 91-2000 are all the same. I got all the ducks in a row for a saturday transformation only to find something is not right in regards to fitting the front wheel.

Oh, they said they'd make it right and make me happy...
But a new to me bike that I've only put 9 miles on due to the fact it sits in the garage on a stand with out a wheel...
Let's just say....unhappy.
Cycle gear has sent off the assembled warp 9 wheel to utah along with my original bashed front wheel.
In order to do what's quickest and easiest they first tried to find a set of bearings that will fit a warp 9 hub and a 15mm axel. There is no such bird...whatso ever.
So the next thing is to take the original hub and fit a warp 9 rim and stainless oversize spokes. Cycle gear is to supply a new rotor. That still doesn't get me new bearings and I may get a store credit. But I'm out a back up oem front wheel. There's no way to be happy.
I had my heart set on a matching pair of new hubs and wheels, so... I just bought a used set of forks and an axel from a 94xr600l, Now after I scrape the dough together I'll have to buy another warp 9 front.
When that happens I intend to just swap out fork tubes in the clamps on the 91 with the 94 forks. Don't tell me this wont work...or...do tell me before I buy another front wheel.
Here's a repeat from an earlier post. just got the 91, just got all the ducks in a row.
Next day after fitting the rear with no trouble I find the front didn't jive.

Still waiting for a front wheel so I can further determine what's up with the shifting between 4th+5th, and do a leakdown test.
I've pretty much come to the conclusion that I'll need to run my 1992 motor in the 91 xr for this season while I sort out the 91 motor.

22manyrides

PM sent
KY state Vet A offroad champion
TAT, KAT and TWVT survivor
Jeff@TheQuadShop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:02 AM   #845
HeadTrauma
\_(ツ)_/

Oddometer: 1,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22manyrides
That may be true, but even an amateur lathe operator could easily a sleeve to allow the (I assume overall larger) Warp 9 bearings work with your stock axle. It probably would have been cheaper than them shipping the wheels to Utah.
HeadTrauma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 12:10 PM   #846
mcma111
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,586
Axle

Better yet just but a late XR600 or XR650L axle and spacer. The speedometer drive also if your going to use it. Otherwise the odo delete spacer.

BMW's
58 R26
79 R100s
91 R100gs

87 Harley FXRS-SP ~ 06 KTM 625 SMC ~ 72 Honda CB750/915cc ~ 92 XR600/654cc ~ 95 XR650l/675cc ~ 03 CRF450r ~ 05 CRF450x ~ 02 XR650l/675cc ~ 86 YZ490 ~ 93 YZ80 ~ 93 XR650l Project
mcma111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 03:58 PM   #847
veetwo _tls
RENOVATIO:

Oddometer: 1,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TheQuadShop
You mean the smaller 91 axle. 92-2000 has the larger 17mm axle.

my mate has a 97 & i have a 92 his axle is smaller diameter. *** the diameter of the axle differs were the thread is & the fork where it threads in OR where the where the speedo drive end of the axle is *** i cant remember exactly it was a few years ago when we found out.
speedo drive included is different in the ID diameter also.

the reason i found this out was my speedo drive shat itself so my mate said use his until i get a new one that's were we found out when fitting the 97 to a 92. so easy fixed i use his axle. LOL no go either then noticed the problem of the axle & the fork leg where it screws in.
MY07 950 SER

veetwo _tls screwed with this post 02-12-2010 at 05:48 PM
veetwo _tls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 06:53 PM   #848
2manyrides
shifty charactor

Oddometer: 1,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadTrauma
That may be true, but even an amateur lathe operator could easily a sleeve to allow the (I assume overall larger) Warp 9 bearings work with your stock axle. It probably would have been cheaper than them shipping the wheels to Utah.
Ya, I talked with warp 9 'bout that, they make all their spacers, you've got the inner spacer tube in there too. I figured it could be done, he said otherwise.
Cycle Gear is footing the bill to make it right. No shipping...waiting.

and here's my channel...
http://www.youtube.com/user/2manyrides?feature=mhsn#p/u
2manyrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 08:31 PM   #849
Jeff@TheQuadShop
TAT survivor

Oddometer: 4,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by veetwo _tls
my mate has a 97 & i have a 92 his axle is smaller diameter. *** the diameter of the axle differs were the thread is & the fork where it threads in OR where the where the speedo drive end of the axle is *** i cant remember exactly it was a few years ago when we found out.
speedo drive included is different in the ID diameter also.

the reason i found this out was my speedo drive shat itself so my mate said use his until i get a new one that's were we found out when fitting the 97 to a 92. so easy fixed i use his axle. LOL no go either then noticed the problem of the axle & the fork leg where it screws in.
Looks like someone swapped your buddy's forks for the older style. All the axle part numbers are the same from 93-00 44301-KAE-870
KY state Vet A offroad champion
TAT, KAT and TWVT survivor
Jeff@TheQuadShop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 09:13 PM   #850
veetwo _tls
RENOVATIO:

Oddometer: 1,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TheQuadShop
Looks like someone swapped your buddy's forks for the older style. All the axle part numbers are the same from 93-00 44301-KAE-870
both of us bought our bike from new
maybe the AU was different to the US ?
1992 was with the blue backings & red seat/white block letters 600R
1997 was with the purple backings & red/purple seat
MY07 950 SER

veetwo _tls screwed with this post 02-13-2010 at 05:44 PM
veetwo _tls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 01:49 PM   #851
Owyhee
Ran when parked

Oddometer: 507
I'm cleaning out my garage of XR600 stuff. I've been hoarding parts in preparation for the zombie apocalypse which I've now decided isn't going to happen.

I put my spare 1987 XR600R motor in the flea market with other stuff like 1991-up shocks, stators, and other bits to follow next week.

"O"
Owyhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 03:25 PM   #852
trackhead
Utard Wankster

Oddometer: 2,754
Quick question:

I'm putting heavier Race Tech springs in my '96XR6 and the instructions ask if they are internal or external top out springs?

Any insight?

Thanks.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:45 AM   #853
screwit
One more time

Oddometer: 846
Question for the experts

I'm a novice mechanic ( i can adjust valves and change fork oil) but am absolutely ignorant about electrics. My question is this: I want to put a key switch on my Xr6 and was thinking of taking the one off my son's crf100. I think that the key switch just interrupts the circuit when off like a kill button but i'm not sure. The switch on my son's 100 has two wires coming out the back. Could I put it on my XR6 inplace of the kill button. Anyone have some insight for my dumb ass.
screwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 09:17 AM   #854
Assfault
Exposed Member

Oddometer: 2,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by screwit
I'm a novice mechanic ( i can adjust valves and change fork oil) but am absolutely ignorant about electrics. My question is this: I want to put a key switch on my Xr6 and was thinking of taking the one off my son's crf100. I think that the key switch just interrupts the circuit when off like a kill button but i'm not sure. The switch on my son's 100 has two wires coming out the back. Could I put it on my XR6 inplace of the kill button. Anyone have some insight for my dumb ass.
That is what I did on my XR6. It basicly makes the ignition think the stop button is pressed. I kept my kill button so I didn't have to fumble for the key while riding. Keeps someone from jumping on, kicking it to life , and riding off. It does not keep them from putting it in a pickup and driving off, but it makes me feel better.
* Assfault, Ass-Fault, Ms Ass, thier neighbors or friends, are not responsible for any incidents, accidents, or accusations, that might result from you using this forum in the pursuit of adventure greatness. Avoid taking ADV before bed time. Do not use if you experince faintness, dizzniess, inversness, difficulty urinating or an erection lasting longer than 4 hours. Thank you*

Assfault screwed with this post 02-18-2010 at 09:23 AM
Assfault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 02:40 PM   #855
Dino3310
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 673
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASSFAULT
That is what I did on my XR6. It basicly makes the ignition think the stop button is pressed. I kept my kill button so I didn't have to fumble for the key while riding. Keeps someone from jumping on, kicking it to life , and riding off. It does not keep them from putting it in a pickup and driving off, but it makes me feel better.
Thats what im looking at doing have you got a photo mate, im unsure where and how to hook it up
Dino3310 is offline   Reply With Quote