Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2008, 11:03 PM   #76
Rokon
Not fat just "husky"

Oddometer: 73
^^^Wow clear water crossing. Be easy to find the bike if it went submarine.
Rokon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 08:23 AM   #77
CSMonte OP
Where am I?

Oddometer: 45
Here my XR currently kinda came to a halt with breaking it down. But should be at the hanger for a few hours today doing more work on it.

Sorry for the camera phone photo (again)
Old 12-29-2008, 12:24 PM   #78
misterkridered
Red Rider

Oddometer: 236
Pelican Cases on XR's Only tail rack

I have a 2000 XR600R with an XR's Only tail rack. I wanted better carrying capacity without side bags because I ride a lot of single track. The 1400 Series Pelican Case has the same width on the short side as the rack. The 1200 Series has the same width on the long side. I got one of each from Santa. 1200 for trail rides, and 1400 for longer trips.
The rack has existing mounting holes for the stock tail bag. 1200 Case:

I used three bolts with rubber between the rack and the case and a 1/8" aluminum plate (6" x 8") with lockwashers inside the case. The rubber holds the bolts in place for easy switching of cases and also seals the holes. With the foam packing in place the mounting system is out of the way.

The rack is symmetrical so I flipped it 180 degrees so the case would be towards the back.

For the 1400 case I used the same hardware except for an 8" x 10" aluminum mounting plate. 1400 case:

I also have a Wolfman tail bag that can be strapped on top of the 1400 case. It's almost exactly the same size as the 1400. Can't wait to try them out!
misterkridered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 01:59 PM   #79
lewismedlock

Oddometer: 12,613
I haven't started my 600R for probably 9 months. I thought that today would be a good day to fire it up. Wrong. It hasn't had any gas in it. I guess that the cork in the petcock dried out because when I put some gas in the tank it leaked.

So, I'm airing out the shop now. Soon I'll go out and check out my petcock.

lewismedlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 03:57 PM   #80
livingintron
Mcrider

Oddometer: 145
Here is my big red beast! Love this bike!!

The big pig can still fly

Old 12-29-2008, 04:07 PM   #81
Lomax
Nanu-Nanu Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,333
Tell us about the headlight and where you found the power to run it.

Marc
Old 12-29-2008, 06:02 PM   #82
Zombie_Stomp
Aspiring human

Oddometer: 2,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomax
Tell us about the headlight and where you found the power to run it.

Marc

Ditto, more info and photos of the light ! How about a side and rear shot while you're at it!

I do heavy-duty textile repair, upholstery, and design/manufacture bags.
Zombie_Stomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 11:12 PM   #83
chain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,757
BD has big lights and will rewind your stator too. Great people, great service!

http://www.bajadesigns.com/
chain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 11:15 PM   #84
chain
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewismedlock
I haven't started my 600R for probably 9 months. I thought that today would be a good day to fire it up. Wrong. It hasn't had any gas in it. I guess that the cork in the petcock dried out because when I put some gas in the tank it leaked.

So, I'm airing out the shop now. Soon I'll go out and check out my petcock.

Maybe stuck float, comming out of the overflow tube.

While we are talking about XR 600 Carbs, if you haven't done so, go order a new billet choke plate. sooner is better than later.
chain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 11:40 PM   #85
XRider
Almost Lifelike

Oddometer: 1,242
lewismedlock,

Take the two bolt out the hold your petcock to the tank and check the "O" ring that seals it. For whatever reason the o-rings just break after a while.
RZ350L Kenny Roberts Special
KTM300EXC Plated & So cool
XRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 06:20 AM   #86
livingintron
Mcrider

Oddometer: 145
I got the headlight from trailtech.com

They are much cheaper than bajadesigns if your on a budget and not really going to race the Baja 1000. I got the stator put in by a local bike shop a freind works at, but ran with the stock one before I decided to change it.

Dont have any good back pics of the bike, but here are a few more action shots. The pictures are taken at some property my family owns out in Lucerne Valley near Johnson valley. I have been riding out there since the PW50 days.

I also just scored an XR650l for a thousand bucks I am restoring to a Baja beast. I will be posting the work on that one pretty soon.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:28 AM   #87
lewismedlock

Oddometer: 12,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by chain

While we are talking about XR 600 Carbs, if you haven't done so, go order a new billet choke plate. sooner is better than later.
Mines a twin-carb. I don't believe that they are prone to that problem.

lewismedlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 12:01 PM   #88
RidingQWERTY
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
my XR6

I got mine about three months ago and just love it. Previously had a Gas Gas Pampera 250 so it was like going from a twig to a fence-post but I'm amazed how easy it is to take (almost) all the places I used to take the Pampera, plus a lot more besides (like on the road!) It's a '93, with a WR450 pipe (sounds great!!) and the airbox has been opened up a bit. As far as I know the jetting is standard and works fine. I've put a Ventura frame on it and have a bag for that, but for most day rides I leave the grab bar only on. I've got the XR's only choke plate and fitted that. Also picked up a second hand Ascerbis tank (22 litre?) which is a bit faded so looking at ways to restore or re-color. Tyres are Michelin AC10's which are great off road but I'd really like to get a spare set of wheels for quick swaps to some more road tyres. It's got CR high bend fat bars with Zeta risers which fit on top of the original risers giving I think about 48mm total rise - originally got these to clear the new tank but they actually are very good for riding standing too. I totally enjoy this bike...

(with the original tyres and the new tank)
(ventura rack fitted)
(Bayleys Beach, Northland NZ with the AC10's fitted)

RidingQWERTY screwed with this post 01-03-2009 at 01:02 AM
RidingQWERTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 05:44 PM   #89
Zombie_Stomp
Aspiring human

Oddometer: 2,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by RidingQWERTY
I got mine about three months ago and just love it. Previously had a Gas Gas Pampera 250 so it was like going from a twig to a fence-post but I'm amazed how easy it is to take (almost) all the places I used to take the Pampera, plus a lot more besides (like on the road!) It's a '93, with a WR450 pipe (sounds great!!) and the airbox has been opened up a bit. As far as I know the jetting is standard and works fine. I've put a Ventura frame on it and have a bag for that, but for most day rides I leave the grab bar only on. I've got the XR's only choke plate and fitted that. Also picked up a second hand Ascerbis tank (22 litre?) which is a bit faded so looking at ways to restore or re-color. Tyres are Michelin AC10's which are great off road but I'd really like to get a spare set of wheels for quick swaps to some more road tyres. It's got CR high bend fat bars with Zeta risers which fit on top of the original risers giving I think about 48mm total rise - originally got these to clear the new tank but they actually are very good for riding standing too. I totally enjoy this bike...
http://desertwatch.typepad.com/photo.../pb100015.html (with the original tyres and the new tank)
http://desertwatch.typepad.com/photo.../pb100013.html (ventura rack fitted)
http://desertwatch.typepad.com/photo.../pb200033.html (Bayleys Beach, Northland NZ with the AC10's fitted)
Great first post! Any more up-close of the rack mounting bracket? I've never seen one so versatile that you can change it out like that, cool!

I do heavy-duty textile repair, upholstery, and design/manufacture bags.
Zombie_Stomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 01:09 AM   #90
RidingQWERTY
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie_Stomp
Great first post! Any more up-close of the rack mounting bracket? I've never seen one so versatile that you can change it out like that, cool!
Thanks for that... Picture of the rack mounting below. Previous owner welded the brackets on. They really are amazing versatile bikes - was out doing dirt riding /hill climbs on it last week yet it is a great bike in the twisties with the other tyres.
RidingQWERTY is offline   Reply With Quote