Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2010, 11:49 AM   #931
2manyrides
shifty charactor

Oddometer: 1,595
I swapped out the motor

March 2010
Friday I finished up a few loose ends and rode a bit. Then Saturday I took her out for a bit of dualsporting. Running around Satuday I put 9 bucks of gas in total. Makes me think I'll have to move on to the 5 gallon Acerbis tank that came with it. The guts taller firmer seat was tireing after the days ride. I doubt the stock XR seat will be any better for extended miles, but I'm gonna try that next.

While the motor was out I replaced the spherical bearings in the top shock mount+linkage. I noticed the rubber stopper was in 3 pieces. Thought of putting on the 92 shock, but it too was deteriorating. Ordered a seal kit, "o"ring kit, and stopper, but 7 to 10 days is too long to wait and I bought a 94 shock to put in it.

Cleaned up most all the stuff and she runs real smooth. Next I'll have to reassmble the 92 with the smoking, damaged shift fork 91 motor. That motor runs good enough to get by a couple years in a hardly used OHV machine. Then some day, a donor motor or a rebuild. But for now spring is here and I've got a solid dirtbike that's plated!
Time for another ride, but here's some clips from Friday and Saturday;

So we currently have;
A 1991 XR600R W/
1992 motor
2000 exhaust and muffler
1994 rear shock and forks
warp 9 wheels front+rear
Dunlop D606 tires
New rotors and pads

Next big deal is I want to put on a trail tech vapor.
Reading all the posts concerning weak rear frame loop, and wishing not to wear a backpack, just how safe can I feel with a dirtbags rack support?
Input requested!

and here's my channel...
http://www.youtube.com/user/2manyrides?feature=mhsn#p/u
2manyrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:22 PM   #932
elsalvadorklr
southern xr rider

Oddometer: 4,151
Question 1988 xr600 question

Hi guys, sorry to post in the middle of a thread but dont know how else to post a question like this or where exactly!
I have just bought an 88 xr600, its complete except for a major part, the crankshaft and rod, wrist pin etc...previous owner said it was knocking but still running when tore down.
Cylinder is Nikasil plated...what options(budget) do I have? How do you take out the original sleeve, or do you bore out the nikasil plate and resleeve to stock bore or do you go over?
What should I look for if the crank shaft was busted? What would that affect?
Tranny is good, gears are good, crank bearings look good...

What are my options? Thanks!
Ill post pics soon!
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 12:00 AM   #933
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22manyrides
Reading all the posts concerning weak rear frame loop, and wishing not to wear a backpack, just how safe can I feel with a dirtbags rack support?
Input requested!
Weak subframe? feh....don't believe everything you read.

Mine has been carrying Dirtbagz for a while, and it's ridden like a desert bike should be.
I just returned from nine days in Baja with the Dirtbagz carrying tools, clothes, oil, etc and the large Dirtbagz duffel full with a North Face Tadpole tent and Big Agnes bag, pad, more clothes, etc.
I thought about the weight a bit before we started, but it wasn't that bad - I packed pretty lightly, yet got everything I needed for two weeks in the desert camping. (I needed to wash clothes before we got back though)

IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 01:08 AM   #934
HeadTrauma
\_(ツ)_/

Oddometer: 1,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsalvadorklr
I have just bought an 88 xr600, its complete except for a major part, the crankshaft and rod, wrist pin etc...previous owner said it was knocking but still running when tore down.

1.) Cylinder is Nikasil plated...what options(budget) do I have? How do you take out the original sleeve, or do you bore out the nikasil plate and resleeve to stock bore or do you go over?

2.) What should I look for if the crank shaft was busted?
1.) If the original Nikasil is good, then leave it alone. A light honing with the right hone and new rings(and a piston if necessary) are all it should need. If it's not, you can either have the cylinder bored and replated or bored out to fit an iron sleeve and install an oversize piston.

2.) Knocking/clattering/rattling in these engines is usually caused by one of two things; wiped-out rockers and cam or a worn-out small end bore on the connecting rod. It is highly unlikely that there is anything wrong with the crankshaft itself.
HeadTrauma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:47 AM   #935
elsalvadorklr
southern xr rider

Oddometer: 4,151
Talking nikasil is bad/po lost crank, and connecting rod?

Thanks much HeadTrauma!
Here is the deal, PO somehow lost the crankshaft and assorted connecting rod, pin etc..still have the piston with its rings which looked wet with oil but not broken or anything...The nikasil plating is scratched pretty well though and I know you cant overbore the nikasil unless you plan on putting in a new LA sleeve or something. The PO owner took out the crank and was looking for a new one(im in el salvador hence the looking part!) but they lost it of course so he was left with everything but that, all apart and lost interest....
From the look of things everything is there except that!
I bought the bike pretty cheap considering everything in el salavador is at least 30% overpriced compared to the states. Problem is parts sourcing and/or import duties if buying from ebay per se.
So I guess my questions are: Since I dont have the crank to see how it looked how can I guestimate the extent of the damage?
The bike ran before torn down.
Crank bearing(left I think... looks good and spins freely) right I guess was lost with the the crank..or is it the other way around? cant remember!

Should I just buy a whole bottom end or something from ebay and build up from there? or just the guilty parts like crank/rod and assorted bearings?
Tranny gears are all in good shape....
Thanks so much for your response head trauma! Any body elses info or help is greatly appreciated. Everything down here takes 3 times as long as in the sates but its worth it having one of these beasts working when all you see new orange enduros running around! jajjaajajaja!
Thanks!
elsalvadorklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:23 AM   #936
2manyrides
shifty charactor

Weak subframe? feh....don't believe everything you read.

Wow Blakebird, sounds like you had a great trip!
I was just taking a look at the dirt bagz for the first time yesterday, so I'm still trying to decide on the "support factor".
Is you bike the 600L or the 600R?
Can't see the attachment down low near the v in the frame.

I've seen a bag system drapped accross the tank too.What are those, anyone know?

and here's my channel...
Old 03-23-2010, 10:25 AM   #937
HeadTrauma
\_(ツ)_/

Oddometer: 1,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsalvadorklr
The PO owner took out the crank and was looking for a new one(im in el salvador hence the looking part!) but they lost it of course so he was left with everything but that, all apart and lost interest....
From the look of things everything is there except that!

1.) Since I dont have the crank to see how it looked how can I guestimate the extent of the damage?

2.) Crank bearing(left I think... looks good and spins freely) right I guess was lost with the the crank..or is it the other way around? cant remember!

3.) Should I just buy a whole bottom end or something from ebay and build up from there? or just the guilty parts like crank/rod and assorted bearings?
1.) If the cam, rockers, and cylinder head are in good shape, then the knocking was probably related to the crankshaft/conrod. Since the cankshaft is missing, I guess it doesn't matter how damaged it may have been. Just get another one.

2.) The crank bearings are pressed onto the crankshaft and were probably lost with the crank unless you have some big bearings with 90 or 100mm outside diameter.

3.) That is up to you. It may be cheaper to find only a crankshaft or you might get lucky and find a cheap complete bottom end.
HeadTrauma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 12:32 PM   #938
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Quote:
Wow Blakebird, sounds like you had a great trip!
I did until the last day, when the motor barfed and I had to hitch a ride back for me and the XR from a few hundred miles down...

Quote:
I was just taking a look at the dirt bagz for the first time yesterday, so I'm still trying to decide on the "support factor".
Is you bike the 600L or the 600R?
Can't see the attachment down low near the v in the frame.
The Dirtbagz setup is excellent. They don't move around a bit, and you never know they're there. The dealer support is the best in the business too.

It's a 2000 XR600R (628cc). The Dirtbagz frame on the left side has a nice clamp that sits in the "V" of the frame.
A little tough to see, I have the Acerbis plastic frame guards, which required some trimming for the Dirtbagz frame clamp on the left side of the bike. The right side mount goes out to clear the pipe and is a bit offset.

Quote:
I've seen a bag system drapped accross the tank too.What are those, anyone know?
Sounds like maybe Giant Loop, another excellent product by an Adv inmate up in the PNW.
http://www.giantloopmoto.com/

*edit* oh, you said "across the tank"....no, the GL is another neat system that goes over the seat and is tidy.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:48 PM   #939
Lomax
Nanu-Nanu Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,820
Blake,

Where did you get those frame guards?

Marc
Old 03-23-2010, 01:00 PM   #940
Jeff@TheQuadShop
TAT survivor

Oddometer: 4,649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomax
Blake,

Where did you get those frame guards?

Marc
They look like Maier to me.
KY state Vet A offroad champion
TAT, KAT and TWVT survivor
Jeff@TheQuadShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 06:04 PM   #941
2manyrides
shifty charactor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird
I did until the last day, when the motor barfed and I had to hitch a ride back for me and the XR from a few hundred miles down...

The Dirtbagz setup is excellent. They don't move around a bit, and you never know they're there. The dealer support is the best in the business too.

It's a 2000 XR600R (628cc). The Dirtbagz frame on the left side has a nice clamp that sits in the "V" of the frame.
A little tough to see, I have the Acerbis plastic frame guards, which required some trimming for the Dirtbagz frame clamp on the left side of the bike. The right side mount goes out to clear the pipe and is a bit offset.

Sounds like maybe Giant Loop, another excellent product by an Adv inmate up in the PNW.
http://www.giantloopmoto.com/

*edit* oh, you said "across the tank"....no, the GL is another neat system that goes over the seat and is tidy.
Cool, I've seen this left side clamped in place previously in this thread...I think. takes the load where a xrl would have bolted to the footpeg lugs.
What's the right side look like?
Yes the over the tank bags had a hole where the saddle bags stradle the gas cap.
I see dirt bags include the support structure with the price of purchase. Yours is the ranger or the scout?
What accesories did you go for to add to that?

and here's my channel...
Old 03-23-2010, 07:09 PM   #942
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Quote:
What's the right side look like?
It has a bolted lower connection, near the clamp between the header and 'S' pipe.

Quote:
Yes the over the tank bags had a hole where the saddle bags stradle the gas cap.
Those were probably ATV saddlebags

Quote:
I see dirt bags include the support structure with the price of purchase. Yours is the ranger or the scout?
The larger of the two, Ranger I believe

Quote:
What accesories did you go for to add to that?
There aren't any accessories... but I do also have the Dirtbagz duffel, which I like a lot
Old 03-23-2010, 07:53 PM   #943
mrfixit54016
Wisconsin Dual Sporter

Oddometer: 614
Progressive Suspension rear springs

I have an old 1985 XR600 with the factory rear shock and spring. I am thinking about installing a progressive suspension brand rear spring. Does anyone have any OLD literature from Progressive that would show if they made different types for my bike? I have seen most of them painted hot pink, and some painted black. Both are listed for my bike. The black spring had a GT at the end of it's part number. My old XR's Only catalog only listed one, but the picture is in B&W so I can't tell what color it is.

Maybe the black ones are just older models before the pink craze started...

-Eric
1985 XR600R tagged
1983 XL100S, 1980 XL80S, and 1985 ATC250ES
mrfixit54016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 11:40 AM   #944
Owyhee
Ran when parked

Oddometer: 507
The chain adjusters on my XR6 are about worn smooth and after a good long ride rotate back to zero even with the axle bolt super tight.

Is there an aftermarket part? I vaguely remember a thicker aluminum one with deeper notches made by SRC.

Ideas?

"O"
Owyhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 12:34 PM   #945
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owyhee
The chain adjusters on my XR6 are about worn smooth and after a good long ride rotate back to zero even with the axle bolt super tight.

Ideas?

"O"
Dremel the originals back to a useable depth?