Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2009, 11:01 AM   #91
swolf
swolf

Oddometer: 51
Just returned my TT 41/41 special boxes and ordered a set of Jessie panniers from Rick - what a nice guy! He is they type of person I don't mind giving my money to, + it stays in the US.

Anyhow, I'm wondering if anyone has any pictures of their Jessie boxes with Ricks luggage tie down loops. Not the luggage rack but the loops. Haven't been able to find images.

Thanks, Sanford
keeping my fingers crossed that I like the boxes w/they arrive
swolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 11:13 AM   #92
DiabloBlanco
Intl' Hops Inspector

Oddometer: 301
He has loops?! Damnit. I ordered the racks not knowing there were loops... hmmmm.... I haven't mounted them yet, maybe he'll do a trade.
US (MN, WI, IA, KS, OK, MO, TX), Mexico, Belize, Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama, Colombia, Venezuela. 11 down, 184 to go.
DiabloBlanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 11:16 AM   #93
swolf
swolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloBlanco
He has loops?! Damnit. I ordered the racks not knowing there were loops... hmmmm.... I haven't mounted them yet, maybe he'll do a trade.
He doesn't mount them (will not) as their are two many option on "where." the loops are a bit hidden in his site
Old 03-25-2009, 02:26 PM   #94
DiabloBlanco
Intl' Hops Inspector

Oh yeah I know he doesn't mount them, much like the tie down racks come un-mounted (although there's really only one obvious place to mount those). I couldn't find either the loops or tie downs on the website, I had just heard someone on here mention they had the tie downs so I knew I could order them. And yeah, I agree, Rick is about the coolest guy that's ever taken me for 1200 bucks. Probably BSed for half an hour on the phone with him.

Welcome to the Jesse Club, I knew you'd be joining after that post in the other thread
US (MN, WI, IA, KS, OK, MO, TX), Mexico, Belize, Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama, Colombia, Venezuela. 11 down, 184 to go.
Old 03-25-2009, 02:47 PM   #95
LewisNClark
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 974
Regarding the Loops

Take care in where you place the D loops.. If you put them on the top
of the cases they tend to pull the hinges out of alignment if you put quite a bit of stress on any of the lids. I tied a dry bag to my top box and slightly sprung the hinges on the top box. You will love the Jesse's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swolf
Just returned my TT 41/41 special boxes and ordered a set of Jessie panniers from Rick - what a nice guy! He is they type of person I don't mind giving my money to, + it stays in the US.

Anyhow, I'm wondering if anyone has any pictures of their Jessie boxes with Ricks luggage tie down loops. Not the luggage rack but the loops. Haven't been able to find images.

Thanks, Sanford
keeping my fingers crossed that I like the boxes w/they arrive
LewisNClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 02:57 PM   #96
swolf
swolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisNClark
Take care in where you place the D loops.. If you put them on the top
of the cases they tend to pull the hinges out of alignment if you put quite a bit of stress on any of the lids. I tied a dry bag to my top box and slightly sprung the hinges on the top box. You will love the Jesse's.
Thanks LewisNClark.

Another question: Has anyone mounted the Touratech (or other bands) side can holders the the Jesse's?

http://www.touratech-usa.com/shop/sh...111BgJL2092126
Old 03-25-2009, 03:52 PM   #97
DiabloBlanco
Intl' Hops Inspector

Quote:
Thanks LewisNClark.

Another question: Has anyone mounted the Touratech (or other bands) side can holders the the Jesse's?

http://www.touratech-usa.com/shop/sh...111BgJL2092126
Wow. There's a TT item for under 100 dollars? Must be a glitch...

I've thought about mounting a can. I've mostly considered going to caribou coffee/starbucks and getting their coffee to go bags. Things are said to work great. But of course that takes up space in the panniers, and for having a much higher than average amount of space, it's really not that much...
Old 03-25-2009, 07:13 PM   #98
swolf
swolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloBlanco
I couldn't find either the loops or tie downs on the website, I had just heard someone on here mention they had the tie downs so I knew I could order them.

Welcome to the Jesse Club, I knew you'd be joining after that post in the other thread
Thanks for the warm welcome.

Here are the tie-downs.
http://www.xplorermoto.com/accessories.html
Old 04-05-2009, 09:33 PM   #99
swolf
swolf

Jesse Fit and thoughts about a "get off."

Fitted my Jesse Odysseys the other day and put about 500 miles on them. Rock solid, love the locks and latches! Bought them in black, now thinking that silver would have been better.

I had to do some serious pulling and tugging to fit the left side. Question; does anyone else's gas cap touch the pannier when filling up? I have to pull the box out just a bit during a fill-up. The fit is so close to the bike that I'm thinking some real damage might occur in a light or medium "get off." From eyeballing the fit, I wouldn't be able to access the gas cap if I had a good fall. I also have about an 1/8" between the mount and my muffler.

Anyone else!!

On a good note. I'd rate my experience purchasing from Rick at Jessie A+++, what a nice guy!
Old 04-06-2009, 08:37 AM   #100
dholaday
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
Quote:
I had to do some serious pulling and tugging to fit the left side. Question; does anyone else's gas cap touch the pannier when filling up? I have to pull the box out just a bit during a fill-up. The fit is so close to the bike that I'm thinking some real damage might occur in a light or medium "get off." From eyeballing the fit, I wouldn't be able to access the gas cap if I had a good fall. I also have about an 1/8" between the mount and my muffler.

No problem mounting for me - left all the bolts loose until I had everything hooked up and that seemed to work. No problem with gas cap clearance but I share your concern about what might happen in a hard face-plant.

Two questions: What did you do with the stock spacer at the muffler bolt attachment point? Leave it on or take it off? I had to take it off to get the mounts to fit.

And is your muffler really loose? Mine is.
dholaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 09:41 AM   #101
DiabloBlanco
Intl' Hops Inspector

Yikes. You guys might be having uncommon experiences, my gas cap clearance is barely better than zero, but it does open fine in all positions, and no... my exhaust isn't loose at all.... maybe call Rick and talk it out with him?
Old 04-06-2009, 10:30 AM   #102
Eurastus
Hej på dej!!

Oddometer: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by dholaday
What did you do with the stock spacer at the muffler bolt attachment point? Leave it on or take it off? I had to take it off to get the mounts to fit.

I originally assembled the racks with the spacer in place, but found that it caused a misalignment with the round connection to the foot-peg bar and the left-side box did not sit straight on the racks. In the end, I took out the spacer and everything lines up perfectly now. The rack itself has a small ring on it that serves the same function as the spacer.

And yes, the muffler is loose. Always was, from when I picked up the bike. There is a set of rubber bushings in the muffler mount that cause this. I imagine it's on purpose to provide some intentional play in the mounting to reduce stress on the muffler's mount.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:39 AM   #103
dholaday
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurastus
I originally assembled the racks with the spacer in place, but found that it caused a misalignment with the round connection to the foot-peg bar and the left-side box did not sit straight on the racks. In the end, I took out the spacer and everything lines up perfectly now. The rack itself has a small ring on it that serves the same function as the spacer.

And yes, the muffler is loose. Always was, from when I picked up the bike. There is a set of rubber bushings in the muffler mount that cause this. I imagine it's on purpose to provide some intentional play in the mounting to reduce stress on the muffler's mount.

Re misalignment: Same exact problem I had.

Re loose: I mean REALLY loose - not just wiggley. I may try putting some rubber washers between the rack mount and muffler clamp to see if that helps.
dholaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 10:44 AM   #104
Eurastus
Hej på dej!!

Oddometer: 349
Quote:
Re misalignment: Same exact problem I had.

Re loose: I mean REALLY loose - not just wiggley. I may try putting some rubber washers between the rack mount and muffler clamp to see if that helps.
I should clarify that my muffler isn't super loose. It sits pretty firm in place, but will move from side to side if I grab it and give a decent tug.

Hope this helps...
Old 04-06-2009, 12:37 PM   #105
swolf
swolf

Quote:

Two questions: What did you do with the stock spacer at the muffler bolt attachment point? Leave it on or take it off? I had to take it off to get the mounts to fit.

Interesting! I spoke to Rick during my instillation and he said to "keep" the muffler bolt attachment. Installed the rack and noticed too that everything was misaligned and that the case didn't touch one of the plastic "donuts."

Then took the muffler bolt attachment off. Much better BUT the tip of the pannier screw (goes through the pannier, metal plate and plasticly mount) now just about touches the stainless steel muffler and bracket. Also, need to pull the panner just a bit to open the gas tank.

Now what to do:

First, love the build of the jessie, love the locks and space in the top hood. Not sure about the black with the yellow/black 800gs. Thinking I might return the boxes as I think with one good fall they will be pushing into the bike damaging the plastic and stainless steel bits. + don't like the idea that I already have to pull at the boxes to open the gas tank.

Thoughts?

I then might weight for the new TT boxes to come out. It would be a shame as the Jessies are built so well AND in the US.

PS Muffler isn't loose