Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2008, 03:23 PM   #31
Brice OP
Long time no see

Oddometer: 282
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvilla
Sorry to learn about the accident, but glad you're OK. I've read other reports where similar things have happened and it always turns out that the rider ends up paying!! It just don't seem right....

Lovin' the pictures and your story...keep it comin' and THANKS!!
The Police kept my bike, bike's papers and driver license. I could have go home 2000km south and let the insurance do the job but at the end it will have cost more and the trip would have been over.
Old 12-18-2008, 04:44 PM   #32
HighTechCoonass
Living the Dream....

Oddometer: 2,462
Great report and pictures Brice!
Old 12-18-2008, 05:34 PM   #33
BeachGuy
Alabama & Costa Rica

Oddometer: 446
Great Report, I'm in.

Keep it coming, this is a part of the world I've never seen.

BeachGuy
BeachGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 05:35 PM   #34
sfarson
On a Ride

Oddometer: 2,128
Thanks for this ride Brice. Have been to numerous provinces in GC on business but typically in the larger cities. Have always wanted to see more rural China as you are. Excellent and descriptive images! Your incident with the little girl reminds why my company hires local drivers to take me places
sfarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 06:26 PM   #35
huckleberry
BACK ROAD BOMBER

Oddometer: 1,106
sorry to hear about the little girl---glad your both ok---chin up sounds and looks like you have a wonderful adventure ahead keep posting and i'll keep reading am enjoying the ride!!!!
Beta Techno
huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 08:30 PM   #36
jakewojo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
great report!

Thanks sharing your trip with us! I'm going over to shanghai for work in Feb and the more I read stories like this about China the more excited I get. Keep it coming!!!

This motorcycle is simply too goddamn fast to ride at speed in any kind of normal road traffic unless you're ready to go straight down the centerline with your nuts on fire and a silent scream in your throat. -HST
jakewojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 09:59 PM   #37
RealtorGordonB
Plated Dirt Bike :)

Oddometer: 183
Some of those scenery pictures were amazing- I'm looking forward to more. Glad for you, that the trip continued and the girl was ok- accidents suck.
2006 KLR 650 Sold
- Not missed :)

RealtorGordonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 10:20 PM   #38
Brice OP
Long time no see

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakewojo
Thanks sharing your trip with us! I'm going over to shanghai for work in Feb and the more I read stories like this about China the more excited I get. Keep it coming!!!
Shanghai is not the best place to ride in China because of the traffic and bike restriction.

Close to the French concession and the old town, there is a small district called Xintiandi. This is a renovated area with some art shops and restaurants. During the week end, you can see few Chang Jiang 750 owned by some westerners.
Old 12-19-2008, 04:45 PM   #39
Brice OP
Long time no see

One day on dirty wet roads and no picture, I'm in Chengdu. After 3 weeks in the countryside and small cities this is a big change, Chengdu looks clean, nice. Even the weather is more friendly.

I'll stay 3 nights at Sim's Guesthouse, a well known backpackers hostel owned by a guy from Singapore.

I ride in the north west of the city where is located the bikes accessories market. New tires, new oil and filters, few nuts and bolts to check or change, that's it.

The thread of the upper triple clamp is dead on the left side. They redo one.

Not far there is another shop selling dirt bikes. They have the new Shineray 250 X1, a watercooled MX bike. I ask for a short ride. Very different from the QingQi, higher seat, wide handlebar, more responsive, more power and stiff suspensions. 14000RMB or $2000 here in Chengdu.

Also there is a Galaxy FTR 250. I already ride this one few months. Their factory is not far from my hometown in South China and I paid them a visit. Check the report. Smaller bike than the Shineray, easy to handle, it should please small gabarit, women or teens. 10000RMB or $1500

Back to the hostel, it is already dark and time for a jaunt in the city center.

A Russian theater or a KTV (Karaoke bar)?

On display a light version of the famous Katiouchka or Stalin organ set on a Chinese jeep (BJ2020).

Big cities are convenient but I find them uninteresting so back to the countryside. Yan'an valley and in the background the mountains were I'm heading.

Yan'an, last city before the Tibet - QingHai plateau.

Little snack before twisty roads.

Where I came from.

First snow capped mountain. There is not too much snow because this is the dry season, snow will arrive later with the monsoon. At this pass, I'm above 3000m and even with a clear shinny sky it is freezing.

I stop for the night in KangDing, the entry city of the Tibetan world in West Sichuan. Not too much photo there, I'm not in the mood.

Small restaurant, I don't even know what I will eat, just point a dish on another table. Anyway, it was hot and tasty.

Later in the street, I spot this stand. Looks like duck eggs.

On the main square, people are dancing, good way to stay warm around here.

To be continued...
Old 12-20-2008, 04:35 PM   #40
VampyreMP
Frustrated Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
More, more, more.......

Absolutely fantasitique report! I think China is now my favorite RR country! Give us more!
VampyreMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 07:06 PM   #41
Brice OP
Long time no see

Another day, another departure. The owner of the guesthouse allowed me to park the bike inside the lobby.

KangDing which was before a city mostly occupied by Tibetan ethnic people is changing quickly. New districts are rising up to face massive arrival of Chinese (Han ethnic) from the East. Let's call that the progress...

On the road since less than one hour and I'm already cold to the bones. I have six layers of clothes but this is barely enough.

Few minutes before this photo, I felt in an icy sharp turn. No time to take a pic I was surrounding by trucks trying to climb the road.

The first pass above 4000m of this trip. In the Tibetan areas, each pass hosts a Buddhist monument called shorten. People turn around clockwise and often left streamers of flags cover with prayers.

In summer time, this landscape is green, now the grass is burnt by the cold.

The landscape has changed so the houses.

They are large, colorful and made of rocks. The basement will be used as a barn in winter time for cattle.

Road is not bad but dusty. Some sections are dirt, some others are tarmac or cement. To help the bike breathing at these altitudes, I have removed the airbox cover.

First stop in a big village to eat some boiled eggs.

The 2 guys on the right are wearing the traditional Tibetan coat made of Yak wool. They wear it all year round, it protects from the cold and the rain. Check how long the sleeves are.

As usual, the landscape is stunning. This is my third time in this region I like it more and more.

My road to Litang.

Winter is coming but Yaks are still in the pastures above 4000m.

The highest pass of the trip

Few kms later, a small monastery, precisely a convent.

Above Litang, the city where I'll stay for the night.

The mountains range where I'm heading Tomorrow.

A herd on the way down to Litang.

No photo of Litang, I'm not well, tired, cough and altitude sickness (strong headache). The hostel is a fridge. After a soup and a little chat with 2 backpackers, I'm heading to my room to get some sleep. The electric blanket provided is useless, I will alternatively sweat and freeze all the night. Morning is worse, altitude sickness is stronger and the only way to stop it is to go down. I expected to stay 2 or 3 days in Litang but I decide to make my way to the next leg XiangCheng which is a little bit lower.

To be continued...

Brice screwed with this post 12-20-2008 at 07:20 PM
Brice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 10:34 PM   #42
Brice OP
Long time no see

Litang marks a change in the trip. This is the beginning of the return to home, 3000km away.
After 3 weeks riding north then west, I'm going south to Yunnan that I'll reach Tomorrow afternoon.

The sun is present but not enough strong to provide any warm. This short ride of 250km and 6 hours will be the coldest of the whole journey. Later, I have the surprise to see the nails of my big toes turning violet, beginning of a frostbite. Contrary to the rest of the body, I didn't feel any cold in my feet and I expected the two pairs of socks to be enough.

Tuer Mountain. Tuer means to kill in French. Very appropriate name considering the temperature!

The Chinese way to cheer up when taking pictures.

It is cold but I still enjoy the view. It was the purpose of this little jaunt, riding alone in unforgettable landscapes.

XiangCheng, last city before Yunnan, where I'll stay one night.

I come from this small road on the other side of the valley.

A fabulous dirt road all for me.

My last 4000m pass of the trip.

It's lunch time, first stop of the day. One of the girls in this restaurant insists to go with me to Zhongdian. I reply politely but firmly that I travel alone and there is no room for her on the bike. Resigned she asks if I'm married, how is my wife, have kids, blah blah.
Hey lonely riders, there is a heart to catch in this mountain...

In the afternoon later, another stop for a drink, I'm in Yunnan.

In a north facing turn, I'm surprised by some ice.

No big damage just the gear foot lever twisted.

Zhongdian will be my home for the next 2 days. Some inventive marketing local guys have renamed the city "Shangri La" like the legendary city of James Hilton's novel. If Shangri La wasn't the fruit of an author imagination, it should be located appropriately in Kashmir or north Pakistan.

To be continued...
Old 12-22-2008, 11:20 PM   #43
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 98,746
This is an amazing journey, Brice.

Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 12:01 AM   #44
goodwin
n00b

Oddometer: 1
great job!