User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2014, 07:56 PM   #1
haros OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Best all rounder bike

After returning from some backpacking I've realised that I have more clothes than I will ever wear and more keys than I know what to do with. So I've decided to simplify my life a little and save some money for my next trip by selling my car and keeping a motorcycle as my only mode of transport.

This being the case, the bike will be used for everything from daily commutes to weekend rides around the twisties. I don't plan on doing any serious single track stuff but would like the option of doing some occasional light offroad trails and long distance touring. The bike needs to be capable of having a lockable top box mounted to it so I can do the shopping or leave my helmet inside without having it stolen. It will be driven on highways from time to time.

I am a shorter rider with a 28" inseam and would prefer a low seat height. So far I've deduced my options to a Suzuki DR650SE which can then be lowered by repositioning the rear shock, sliding the front forks up a little and adding a lower profile seat OR a BMW F650GS which I believe is already super low.

Are there any other options that would suit my needs? Doesn't have to be a thumper...
haros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 08:37 PM   #2
Tinker1980
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 577

DR650.

Easily modified, cheap, can switch it from smooth-running highway machine to wheelie-popping gravel spraying trail toy with just a sprocket change. Reliable as an anvil. Ride it to work one day, then the next day, ride it 100 miles to an enduro, ride it in the enduro, then ride it 100 miles home. Straighten the mirrors and ride it to work monday. Ride to the trails, drop it in a water hole over the tank, pull it out, change the oil, ride it home. Ride it to work all week again. It doesn't matter if it's 110 degrees or 10 degrees. Only bad part about it getting knocked over is when it falls on and f**ks up a nicer bike.
Tinker1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 08:54 PM   #3
The_Precious_Juice
Two pump chump

Oddometer: 1,241
Thumb You are one the right path!

Depending upon what country you live in and what garages are close by and how your finaces are, and how much you like to work on your MC, I think you have two great MCs to pick from.

__
If you fit the DR650se with a 19" front tyre, you will be pretty close to the best all rounder.
Granted, the Rotopax engine of the F560 or G650GS is even smoother. So really, on paper the G650GS is damn near the best all rounder.

Do not worry about the 34.X inch seat height of the Mighty DR, it settles with time. Hell, I have the stock seat height (no gear on board), and I can flat foot now. I have about a 32" inseam.

But, since you do not want to do narly stuff off road, I guess it can be dropped a little. Be sure to get a differnt size kick stand to match the new height of the frame.

BMW has you covered on seat height options.
__

You seem like a minimalist, so your personality may go toward the Mighty DR.
It is a really mellow 35hp overweight dirt bike that is overgeared in 5th gear. So with low torque you have to shift a lot.
__

Never road the BMW, but I like the look of the new 2011+
She is a little too heavy for me (425lbs), and I do not get why there are two mufflers ( I know that the other one is the Cat Converter). Hell, the Suzuki 1000 Vstrom only has one pipe.

Anyway.

It all depends on your location and how mobile you will be with your MC.

If you decided to purchase a assault weapon would it be a
AK 47
or a M-4.

If you lean toward the AK, go Mighty DR.
The_Precious_Juice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 09:00 PM   #4
The_Precious_Juice
Two pump chump

DR info.

Here is a good thread to look over.

It is only 2 pages long

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133954

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowrider View Post
Almost any four cylinder should smoke almost any single in acceleration. In my opinion the handling of the DR on the road (or trail, obviously) easily makes up for the power deficiency compared with a maxim, and the low end torque is fun and pleasant. Most days I still choose the DR for the road over my Ducati. I travel on mine too, it does distance well (with a different seat).
Kudos for figuring out the KLR is not really in the DR's league.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaggleXR650 View Post
I do some dual sport riding with a group of guys in my area. One guy has a new DR650 (totally stock, he refuses to uncork it because of gas mileage). We ride alot of dirt/gravel roads, forest service roads etc...

We start off slower, but before long we are doing 80mph+ down curvy dirt/gravel roads. He's got bigger cahones than I (inside lane on blind turns ) and so he's faster in the turns. I can catch him on my uncorked XR650R pretty easy in the straights.

We did some single track up in Talledaga Nat. Forest (Kentuck ORV) and he was tearing it up in the tights too. This guy is in his 50's.

I'm a Honda man myself, and doubt I'll ever own a Suzuki, but I gotta admit it's a nice bike, handles great, and puts out 'enough' power in stock trim to get the job done. There are lighter and more powerful bikes, but you can't go wrong with the big DR.
Old 09-13-2014, 09:04 PM   #5
Off the grid
Chaotic Good

Oddometer: 9,771
Wr250r
Help my buddy mike fight kidney Cancer. Anything helps!
Off the grid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 09:10 PM   #6
The_Precious_Juice
Two pump chump

Look over Lost Rider's ride reports

From the 2011 G650GS thread.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...635016&page=43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Rider View Post
We've found the G 650 to be pretty good for riding two up, from trails to 75mph interstate slab runs it's handled just fine. I believe the thumper GS is a very competent two up bike, depending on one's expectations of comfort since it's a "small" bike. With two people your size I see no problems with riding as you describe.

Old 09-13-2014, 09:14 PM   #7
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,370
any bike can be lowered. klr should be in the mix too... it's right between the other 2 choices. the bmw is more than a cut above the other 2 as a highway bike.... it is an equal cut below as an off road bike. I had one,,,, no where near as good off road as my (modified) klr
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 09:15 PM   #8
The_Precious_Juice
Two pump chump

With your purchase of a brand new 2014 DR650se

You will be continuing a almost 20 year tradition.

Full Warrenty.

The warm fuzzy that no one did bad things to her.

Good grey/black paint scheme.

Parts and OEM products will continue to be made to support the MC (for guys like me) (who bought a 2013 brand new).

The only trade off. If you sale the MC in a 12-144 month period, you will become "one of those stupid people who buy new."

Hell, someone's got to do it. Just do not ever sale the DR.
She is a keeper!

Just buy during the dead of winter and maybe at the end of the month... and a snowy day.... and with no one else on the show room floor... and make sure it is a left over model from the year before... and go ahead and drop $1,000 from MSRP from the Suzuki website, not what they have on the price tag.

The_Precious_Juice screwed with this post 09-13-2014 at 09:21 PM
Old 09-13-2014, 09:41 PM   #9
haros OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Thanks guys, glad to know both the F650GS and DR650SE are good choices. I will be buying used regardless of my final choice.

I've decided against the KLR650 because it is a fair bit heavier than the DR650SE but not much different other than that so no real benefits to make up for the increased weight. I know almost any bike can be lowered with aftermarket dog bones etc. but the DR650 has the option to be lowered built into them so the manufacturer has probably already figured the bike can go "this much lower" without any real adverse effects. You can also get lower seats for them whereas some other bikes you can't.

If the F650GS and DR650SE were the same weight I would definitely go the F650, mainly because it's EFI.

WR250R is something like a 36" seat height isn't it? Bit too tall...
haros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 10:00 PM   #10
Ockrocket
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,067
Dr650

"All roads lead to now."

I love snatching kisses..... and vice versa.
Ockrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 10:52 PM   #11
Ministry
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by haros View Post
doing some occasional light offroad trails and long distance touring.
You're looking at the wrong Zuk imo. The DL650 Strom would suit you better for this type of riding. I wouldn't go the DR route unless you plan on going off-road more frequently than you stated.
Ministry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 03:57 AM   #12
leafman60
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,528
Quote:
Thanks guys, glad to know both the F650GS and DR650SE are good choices. I will be buying used regardless of my final choice.

I've decided against the KLR650 because it is a fair bit heavier than the DR650SE but not much different other than that so no real benefits to make up for the increased weight. I know almost any bike can be lowered with aftermarket dog bones etc. but the DR650 has the option to be lowered built into them so the manufacturer has probably already figured the bike can go "this much lower" without any real adverse effects. You can also get lower seats for them whereas some other bikes you can't.

If the F650GS and DR650SE were the same weight I would definitely go the F650, mainly because it's EFI.

WR250R is something like a 36" seat height isn't it? Bit too tall...

The BMW has substantially more power and runs smoother on the open road. ABS and many more serious touring accessories are available too for the BMW if that's your interest.
leafman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 04:55 AM   #13
Murphy Slaw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafman60 View Post
The BMW has substantially more power and runs smoother on the open road. ABS and many more serious touring accessories are available too for the BMW if that's your interest.
Spec wise, the BMW is the bike KLR riders have been asking Kawasaki to build for years.....

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Murphy Slaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 05:40 AM   #14
byron555
Lame Duck Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,109
What a loaded question

All of the aforementioned bikes fit the bill, your skill level (on and more so off road) needs to be taken into account as well. The better you are in the dirt, the easier it is to take some of the bigger bikes off-road. My rankings starting with the easiest in the dirt.

1-WR250r (cheap version CRF250L)
2-KTM 690 ($$ option)
2-Husky Terra (only made one year though)
3-DR650
4-BMW 650 Serato/Dakar (cheaper version KLR 650)
5-BMW 800 GS
6-Triumph Tiger 800xc
7-Wee-Strom

By no means an exhaustive list... It is rumored that Yamaha will be releasing a FZ-07 powered ADV bike the XTZ700. That could be the bike I have been looking for. It would fall in the 800GS, Tiger XC arena but for Wee-strom money. If so it sounds like a home-run waiting to happen.

Same goes for Hondas rumored new African Twin, 1000+cc's but it would seem that this will have to cost more than my $12k limit (think KTM 990 class). These 2 rumor bikes maybe the larger ADV bikes a lot of us have been waiting for, either to buy or lust after until they hit the used market.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=997633
byron555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 11:09 AM   #15
The_Precious_Juice
Two pump chump

Weestrom

Quote:

It will be driven on highways from time to time.
Once a week, or once every month?

If your milage is 50% highway, might as well go Wee.

If it is below 25%, go thumper. More fun and better time off road.