User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2013, 08:16 AM   #1
vwtoby OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
DRZ400 set-up for tall riders...

Hi guys, i expect the material is already out there someone where but haven't come across a condensed thread. Very interested in how people have setup their Drz to handle a taller/heavier rider.

Im 6'4 :) and so is the wife so working to make it fit for both of us.

Im aware of the risers options, but havnt come across lowering pegs (possible?) or suspension setups...

Thanks
vwtoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:54 AM   #2
ChromeSux
Plated and screwed

Oddometer: 1,550
Over in the DRZ 400 thread a couple of pages back, a guy was making/ selling pegs that are a little lower.
As for suspension set up. If you have a suspension guru near you that would be worth consideration. Unless you plan to ride aggressive off road, you could probably just spring the bike for the weight and be happy with that.
My .02 cents for what it is worth.
ChromeSux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:04 AM   #3
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,665
I'm 6'2", and I put the Seat Concepts tall seat on my DRZ, along with taller bars. Huge difference! If you're trying to make the bike work out for two riders, the seat is a good way to go. It takes a few minutes to swap over a seat, while some of the other mods are more time-consuming and expensive. The Seat Concepts seat is also a vast improvement in comfort.

If you can find a spare seat pan or a seat with a roached cover, you can keep the stock height for the Missus, although I assume she'd like a comfy seat also.

I used a set of Vortex bars that are higher and have a little more pull-back. I have them on several bikes, and they are very comfortable. These were about $30 or Ebay, and are of much nicer quality than stock.

You may be able to get by with just re-springing.
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 01:07 PM   #4
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Oddometer: 1,421
+1" IMS shifter was much better for my size 14 boots.

Anyone know the heaviest weight rear spring available?
Old 12-11-2013, 01:29 PM   #5
Starchamp
Rebel Scum

Oddometer: 1,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallbastid View Post
Anyone know the heaviest weight rear spring available?
I think RaceTech goes up to 6.0kg.
Starchamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 04:31 PM   #6
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,665
Eibach I think has a 5.8 -- really excellent stuff. Don't get it too stiff if you want the Missus to ride it. If you're running dirt, a little on the supple side is good.

I found the stock shifter worked well with MSR 13mm back offset pegs. They are way more comfortable and secure than stock, and shifting's no problem with my size 12s, even in a bulky boot.
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 04:49 AM   #7
NVTS
stupid hipster dufus

Oddometer: 704
Don't dick around. Buy a Zeta top triple clamp with the tallest, most forward position risers. Order longer cables, and get the highest bars with the least amount of sweep. You might still have to put risers on top of that.
I've owned three DRZ and I'm 6'3" . The last made me realize they aren't ergonomically, ideal for height wealthy folk. I'd also invest in Mark2 Pivot pegs with long extensions.
NVTS
NVTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 06:06 AM   #8
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVTS View Post
Don't dick around. Buy a Zeta top triple clamp with the tallest, most forward position risers. Order longer cables, and get the highest bars with the least amount of sweep. You might still have to put risers on top of that.
I've owned three DRZ and I'm 6'3" . The last made me realize they aren't ergonomically, ideal for height wealthy folk. I'd also invest in Mark2 Pivot pegs with long extensions.
NVTS
Agree somewhat. I started with 30mm risers and cr high bars, but going with 3.5" rox risers and cr highs, with longer cables of course. Ill look into zeta triple clamp too. Also have new pegs and a +1" seat coming in.
Old 12-13-2013, 10:59 AM   #9
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer: 4,495
6'4" really isn't very tall, but most suggestions are spot on with the exception of the risers.

As a goon at 6'7", Rox Risers are the only way to go. You not only get to move the bars up, but forward to account for being a knuckledragger.

I've read debates over the years on lowering pegs and as a concept I disagree completely with them mostly due to the fact that when I ride like a clown on the pavement, I drag pegs (yes even on a "dirt" bike).

I don't have a DRZ, but it is certainly a known quantity and getting a taller seat (a Seat Concepts one on my 450 that I love) in addition to the risers seem to be the best options. You also seem to know the need for springs, so get your sag figures and then input what rate you need for both ends and go from there.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:03 AM   #10
Tallbastid
Let's get tropical

I hear ya, I'm 6'7-8" depending on which convenience store I'm leaving. Bikes ain't meant for us.
Old 12-13-2013, 11:31 AM   #11
OR Trail
looks for unlocked gates

Oddometer: 369
6'6" here & just too tall for a DRZ, but this got it close:

Rox Risers
tall flatter sweep bars w/ fatter grips
Taller triple clamp (I think - Scotts for the damper and they look taller than stock - alternatively spacer type risers might work under the Rox)
Longer brake cable (stainless is good upgrade at same time)
throttle tube upside down for more effective length
Bigger pegs
Hammerhead long shifter
Seat Concepts tall seat

After all of that it's still cramped, like there isn't enough top tube length, so I added an XR650R and that seemed to help my comfort a bit.
OR Trail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 12:01 PM   #12
longtallsally
Yeah I'm a chick

Oddometer: 4,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by OR Trail View Post
6'6" here & just too tall for a DRZ, but this got it close:

Rox Risers
tall flatter sweep bars w/ fatter grips
Taller triple clamp (I think - Scotts for the damper and they look taller than stock - alternatively spacer type risers might work under the Rox)
Longer brake cable (stainless is good upgrade at same time)
throttle tube upside down for more effective length
Bigger pegs
Hammerhead long shifter
Seat Concepts tall seat

After all of that it's still cramped, like there isn't enough top tube length, so I added an XR650R and that seemed to help my comfort a bit.
Best post yet in the thread.

And I forgot to add on this- a buddy who has a DRZ that I've ridden had the bars darn near hitting my knees when I sat on it. WAY low. I'm not sure I read correctly, but on the WR250 I had, I put the tallest bars I could find on the thing and that really helped. In terms of sweep, I could rotate the bars in the Rox Risers to get them where I wanted and not put strange pressure on my wrists.

Shoot, I think the KLR guys put ATV bars on theirs...
Old 06-01-2015, 02:44 PM   #13
Ras Thurlo
Desert Lion

Oddometer: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVTS View Post
NVTS
Ras Thurlo is offline   Reply With Quote